View Full Version : Picking up weapons

VernalBreak
12-03-2015, 06:27 AM
1) like in ac 2, brotherhood, Revelations, and black flag

2) Like in ac3

3) like in all other games

Sesheenku
12-03-2015, 07:13 AM
How about we just stop removing features and losing variety and choice? That'd be great Ubisoft.

LoyalACFan
12-03-2015, 09:07 AM
I never used that feature when it was there anyway, so... nope. Why would I want to waste my time picking up the guards' crappy swords? Plus it interferes with the possibility of weapon sheathes returning, since you wouldn't be able to spawn a new sheath for the new weapon you grabbed.

EDIT actually I forgot about axes and spears in the Ezio games... those were pretty fun to disarm and use. So I'll vote for option 1, you can disarm/pickup weapons temporarily but not stash them.

Sushiglutton
12-03-2015, 11:01 AM
I want a return to AC1 system + a bit of expansion. Sword, Dagger, throwing knives, hb. Then in the story, or perhaps through some larger side quests you may upgrade or get a better version (say there are 3-4 different swords in total). You will also learn more moves with these weapons along the way. Scrap all the customization junk, I never liked playing with dolls.

Picking up weapons are pointless, I want beautiful assassin weapons, not generic guard ones. However I wouldn't mind some combos in which you use enemy's weapons to kill other guards. (Like disarm an enemy and throw his sword in the face of another).

How about we just stop removing features and losing variety and choice? That'd be great Ubisoft.

Because eventually the games will become a mess.

SixKeys
12-03-2015, 11:34 AM
No picking up weapons. It was annoying in the Ezio games and it'd be even more annoying now when we have the "interact" button used for so many things. You can buy whatever weapon you want in the shops, and in the last two games you can just equip them from the main menu any time you want, so it'd be completely unnecessary.

VestigialLlama4
12-03-2015, 12:49 PM
I actually love picking up weapons. In the New World games, I have a huge fondness for muskets. What I like is disarming and then using the enemies weapons against them because I think that's kind of what an Assassin would do. Improvise, turn the enemies strengths into weak points to exploit and naturally use a disposable foreign weapon so that no crime can be traced to you.

When I replay a game, I typically go low-key, fists and hidden blade in the main and then in melee I disarm my opponent and use their weapons against them.

Doing it against Jaegers is especially awesome, because there you have to be very careful to do so.

cawatrooper9
12-03-2015, 03:29 PM
How about you can pick up enemy weapons and keep them, but they break after a certain amount of use (a relatively high amount of use, enough to complete a mission or two with). That way, you're not penalized for climbing and parkour, which is silly).

SixKeys
12-03-2015, 04:00 PM
How do those in favor see this fitting into the gameplay? I mean, how many buttons are left on the controller to dedicate to picking up weapons? In the Ezio games, the same button was used to gently push people, pick up weapons, loot dead bodies and pick them up. It could get really annoying. Now we have the interact button which does everything from parkour down, loot, pick up bodies, kidnap, shove people into carriages, drive said cart, hide inside said cart, etc. It's already a nightmare sometimes when you mean to do one thing and end up completely messing up because the assassin does some other contextual thing instead. And you want to add picking up weapons on top of all that?

D.I.D.
12-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Trying to loot bodies after a big fight in the Ezio games used to remind me of that gag in The Simpsons, where Sideshow Bob is attempting to walk away with dignity but he's surrounded by rakes. Loot body. No don't pick up weapon, drop weapon. Loot body. You've picked up the weapon again. Walk away and drop the weapon. Maybe not here, though. There's a body here we haven't searched yet. Drop it over there. Okay... which bodies have I searched again? Ezio, you've picked up a weapon.

Every looting session turned into this long process of listening to the clattering of weapons hitting cobbles over and over again.

cawatrooper9
12-03-2015, 05:47 PM
Trying to loot bodies after a big fight in the Ezio games used to remind me of that gag in The Simpsons, where Sideshow Bob is attempting to walk away with dignity but he's surrounded by rakes. Loot body. No don't pick up weapon, drop weapon. Loot body. You've picked up the weapon again. Walk away and drop the weapon. Maybe not here, though. There's a body here we haven't searched yet. Drop it over there. Okay... which bodies have I searched again? Ezio, you've picked up a weapon.

Every looting session turned into this long process of listening to the clattering of weapons hitting cobbles over and over again.

I didn't have that problem so much with looting, but with trying to pick up weapons or bodies.

Love the Simpsons reference! I'd say it's pretty accurate. :D

BananaBlighter
12-03-2015, 06:10 PM
I actually love picking up weapons. In the New World games, I have a huge fondness for muskets. What I like is disarming and then using the enemies weapons against them because I think that's kind of what an Assassin would do. Improvise, turn the enemies strengths into weak points to exploit and naturally use a disposable foreign weapon so that no crime can be traced to you.

When I replay a game, I typically go low-key, fists and hidden blade in the main and then in melee I disarm my opponent and use their weapons against them.

Doing it against Jaegers is especially awesome, because there you have to be very careful to do so.

This so badly.

I feel we're losing variety. However, for example, this wouldn't have worked in Unity since we already had a varied arsenal of weapons. I would prefer it if, like AC1, we had few weapons and very basic tools that we carry with, and so must make use of our environment to supply us with new opportunities and more variety. In multiplayer though, it is very important to have deep customization, rendering this feature useless.

Ureh
12-03-2015, 07:31 PM
I thought picking up weapons was alright, it had a few hiccups but I don't think they should abandon it entirely. I think the pick up feature in AC3/4 was going in the right direction. It was a lot easier to pick up weapons in those games since you could highlight them more easily, I felt picking up weapons while in combat was easier, and also we could pick up weapons even while moving (walk, run, sprint). If they can make it more accurate, seamless, and with no delay during combat then it could add a little bit more variety/style/awesomeness.

I guess they could see if removing looting might help, pick up bodies (would be a problem for stealth). Haven't played Syndicate yet but Unity has problem of its own. Arno sometimes starts looting bodies or opening chests when not intended, sometimes he'll take cover during combat when you're trying to stagger or dodge.

Civona
12-04-2015, 12:13 AM
I really like the idea of the Assassin only having their hidden blades, but they still make use of enemy weapons as part of combos and special moves in general combat. It emphasizes the idea of guards being prepared for straight up conflict and your role being to subvert that, play dirty, be sneaky.

It also completely differentiates the Assassin's fighting style and animations from regular enemies: they're the only ones who will be doing standard sword slashes, whenever you get a kill with a sword it will be in an unconventional manner and end with said sword being abandoned in exchange for greater mobility.

Look at pretty much any movie fight scene where a melee-focused agile character has their own signature weapons that they mostly rely on for more examples of what I'm talking about.

This series should strive to define its own identity, not go in the bethesda-like direction of letting you do absolutely everything and play every way, so your character seems like a jack of all trades and also master of all trades. Assassins should have a definite specialized feel to the way they fight.

cawatrooper9
12-04-2015, 04:00 PM
I think the biggest issue with this is that recent games have added a ton of customization already. Reserving weapons to steal from enemies detracts from this, and would feel like a step backward. The only way I could see this working would be with rifles in Syndicate, since there was an emphasis on concealed weaponry, and Assassins wouldn't want to lug around a huge gun all the time. If we go back in time, though... I just don't see it working.

BananaBlighter
12-05-2015, 12:10 AM
I think axes, spears and rifles are weapons that assassin's should never have to carry. Assassin's Creed combat could really become something unique if it focuses on, as Civona said, playing dirty and being sneaky. While we could steal weapons in previous games, we need more fluidity. I want to take a guard's axe, finish his friend with it, then switch back to my sword, soon replacing it with a spear and finish off the rest with that. Customization is nice but I don't think weapon variety is that much of a big deal. Maybe the assassin's get a selection of unique concealed weapons, pushing for more social stealth.

SixKeys
12-05-2015, 09:40 AM
If showing the assassin as thinking quickly and using whatever's available to take down his enemies is the main point, all that can be solved by making him use enemy weapons in double/trible kill cut scenes. Like how Connor would pick up a musket and use it to kill two birds in one stone if you got a streak going, but after the cut scene he went right back to using his own weapons.

Ureh
12-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Those cutscenes are super cool but I'm hoping they can become a little more hands-on. Probably not the best example but in the Arkham games when you're going to counter 2-3 enemies you need to press the counter button 2 to 3 times, and there is a little bit of timing involved too because you can't press the button too early/late. Something like that could help.

BananaBlighter
12-05-2015, 07:19 PM
If showing the assassin as thinking quickly and using whatever's available to take down his enemies is the main point, all that can be solved by making him use enemy weapons in double/trible kill cut scenes. Like how Connor would pick up a musket and use it to kill two birds in one stone if you got a streak going, but after the cut scene he went right back to using his own weapons.

The multi-kills are great in that regard, that is why I much prefer AC3's over Syndicate's. Though I think it is possible to make it more involved.

I would prefer it if (and this may be a bit extreme, since assassin's have pretty much always used swords) our only weapon is a pair of hidden blades. Since our hands are always empty, we can easily disarm and steal others' weapons to use against them. When you use an enemy's own weapon to kill them off, it initiates a unique finisher, leaving the weapon inside them. This frees up our hands to try out a new weapon and so on.

So basically, I could steal and enemy's axe, stun his friends with it, finish him off with it, leaving it stuck in to his head, and then taking a spear from another enemy, finish off the rest of them in one smooth multi finisher. Oh I dream of a perfect combat system, too bad we're gonna be stuck with half-decent forever.

SixKeys
12-05-2015, 07:50 PM
The multi-kills are great in that regard, that is why I much prefer AC3's over Syndicate's. Though I think it is possible to make it more involved.

I would prefer it if (and this may be a bit extreme, since assassin's have pretty much always used swords) our only weapon is a pair of hidden blades. Since our hands are always empty, we can easily disarm and steal others' weapons to use against them. When you use an enemy's own weapon to kill them off, it initiates a unique finisher, leaving the weapon inside them. This frees up our hands to try out a new weapon and so on.

So basically, I could steal and enemy's axe, stun his friends with it, finish him off with it, leaving it stuck in to his head, and then taking a spear from another enemy, finish off the rest of them in one smooth multi finisher. Oh I dream of a perfect combat system, too bad we're gonna be stuck with half-decent forever.

If they did that, people would flood these forums complaining "why did you take all our weapons away?! AC is losing variety!". :p

BananaBlighter
12-05-2015, 09:02 PM
If they did that, people would flood these forums complaining "why did you take all our weapons away?! AC is losing variety!". :p

I think, if we really wanted to push social stealth so that you could ACTUALLY look like a monk, this would be the way to go. In the end it would only increase variety since you are constantly switching weapons and playstyles throughout each fight.

In terms of customization for variety, give us control over certain stats linked to our tools and our hidden blade, as well as have extensive dressing up capabilities.

I can see why tonnes of people would hate this, but to me it fits an assassin very well.

Sushiglutton
12-05-2015, 10:30 PM
I really like the idea of the Assassin only having their hidden blades, but they still make use of enemy weapons as part of combos and special moves in general combat. It emphasizes the idea of guards being prepared for straight up conflict and your role being to subvert that, play dirty, be sneaky.

It also completely differentiates the Assassin's fighting style and animations from regular enemies: they're the only ones who will be doing standard sword slashes, whenever you get a kill with a sword it will be in an unconventional manner and end with said sword being abandoned in exchange for greater mobility.

Look at pretty much any movie fight scene where a melee-focused agile character has their own signature weapons that they mostly rely on for more examples of what I'm talking about.

This series should strive to define its own identity, not go in the bethesda-like direction of letting you do absolutely everything and play every way, so your character seems like a jack of all trades and also master of all trades. Assassins should have a definite specialized feel to the way they fight.

I support this completely! Could have Connor's flippable HB for some extra flexibility (they were pretty rad).

Problem is they wanna have enough fluff to support pre-order DLC for all different retailers, platform exclusives, season pass, microtransactions, other promotions. So they will stick with a gazillion weapons. I really like your way of thinking though!

Ureh
12-06-2015, 09:48 PM
I suppose if we want to relive the awesome combat with the almighty brooms and deadly fishing rods we'll have to pop in AC2-R instead.

VernalBreak
12-09-2015, 05:28 AM
I like the idea of assassins mostly relying on assassin type gear (eg hidden blades) to kill enemies. I think I will add to this on the combat poll.

cawatrooper9
12-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Personally, I think Syndicate was pretty close to getting it right. Hidden blades were used for stealth (because let's be real, they wouldn't hold up against broadswords anyway, that's just silly). Then, we had unconventional and relatively underpowered weapons to choose from- brass knuckles that were little more than fists and two small blades. Hardly like the good old days when Ezio could bound across rooftops with a heavy crossbow and large axe strapped to his back.

So yeah, as far as the Assassin's arsenal goes, it's pretty much ideal. The only thing that I would have preferred is if we could disarm and use enemy weapons as well. As people have mentioned, using enemies' weapons against them should be a common tactic for Assassins, or at least something that's available.