PDA

View Full Version : Out of ammo?

huggy87
04-08-2004, 10:28 AM
One nice feature of European Air War was the straight wing autopilot. If you ran out of ammo, normal autopilot would keep you heading defenseless towards the target. So you would just point towards england and hit shift+A. You would fly home instead of following your squadron to the target defenseless. Thus, you could progress on the campaign without wasting a bunch of time.

I wish FB had some kind of autopilot like that. Does it, and I just missed it? I use autopilot a lot for transiting. It is annoying on a campaign to run out of ammo and then fly 80km deeper into enemy territory to hit some stupid waypoint.

FB is not to bad, since the front is usually fairly close. I can see it being a real problem on Pacific Fighters.

All the power to you if you enjoy flying every step of a mission. I have a busy job and two kids- autopilot and timewarp are my friends.

huggy87
04-08-2004, 10:28 AM
One nice feature of European Air War was the straight wing autopilot. If you ran out of ammo, normal autopilot would keep you heading defenseless towards the target. So you would just point towards england and hit shift+A. You would fly home instead of following your squadron to the target defenseless. Thus, you could progress on the campaign without wasting a bunch of time.

I wish FB had some kind of autopilot like that. Does it, and I just missed it? I use autopilot a lot for transiting. It is annoying on a campaign to run out of ammo and then fly 80km deeper into enemy territory to hit some stupid waypoint.

FB is not to bad, since the front is usually fairly close. I can see it being a real problem on Pacific Fighters.

All the power to you if you enjoy flying every step of a mission. I have a busy job and two kids- autopilot and timewarp are my friends.

Breeze147
04-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Uhhh, just my thoughts. What do you intend to do without ammo? Ram someone? Tip their wing? Lend moral support? Without ammo, go home! And you don't need auto pilot to get you there. Turn around and follow the map until you find the base.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/air_power/ap16.jpg