PDA

View Full Version : Western-themed AC?

Frank9182011
12-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Stolen from the AC Subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/3v5xi0/ubisoft_interviewing_residents_of_montana_for/

Which links to the following news story from a Missoula, Montana radio station: http://963theblaze.com/is-ubisoft-making-a-video-game-based-in-montana/

Basically, a guy who writes for this radio station's website was approached in a bar by two gentlemen claiming to work for Ubisoft. They were researching the region, and Montana specifically, for a spaghetti western-styled video game. Of course, this should be taken with a grain of salt, but it's certainly not your typical video game news rumor. Coming from a Montana radio station, the author is not an industry insider who stands to benefit from spinning a tale like this. Also, this seems a lot less silly than the Black Flag guy on a plane rumor that turned out true.

The game is most likely a new Far Cry, if I had to guess, but it could just as easily be Assassin's Creed as well. The last and maybe least likely of options is a new IP, but you never know.

What do you guys think?

cawatrooper9
12-02-2015, 07:50 PM
Well, a Western AC has been hypothesized a lot on here lately- though if they're just doing research, I'd imagine that they're not very far along in production, probably have 2-3 years before we'd see it- in which case, I'd hope we'd be out of the 1700s-1900 range by then.

VoXngola
12-02-2015, 08:05 PM
It fits Far Cry way more so I guess this is them researching for Primal's sequel. Possibly coming out 2017 or 2018.
A new IP would be redundant, they've got Call of Juarez.
And Assassin's Creed? Yeah...I think even the developers themselves are against this one. No way we are getting something like that. No. Way.

I-Like-Pie45
12-02-2015, 08:11 PM
why would anyone want a game set in montana. I don't think anything ever happened there besides Little Big Horn.

the only benefit montana has to its credit is that it isn't Wyoming

all the exciting western action takes place elsewhere, or in almeria, spain.

Crazy_Horse95
Why do you think they are against Western AC? Personally I can't wait for another good game set in the Wild West

Hans684
I'll bet it's true until proven otherwise, we got BF leaked on a plane after all.

LoyalACFan
12-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Why do you think they are against Western AC? Personally I can't wait for another good game set in the Wild West

Then wait on the next Red Dead with the rest of us :p

I've seen the "cowboy AC" theories many times and I honestly don't know why it's such a popular idea. It's literally the single worst setting I can think of. Having traveled the American West extensively, (and I adore it, it's some of the most beautiful land on Earth) I can report that there's absolutely nothing about it that would make it appropriate for AC. There's nothing to climb on, for one thing; sure there are awesome rock formations but they're all in the middle of frickin' nowhere, and before you say "tree running," most of the larger forests are coniferous, meaning straight vertical trunks and flimsy needle-covered branches. Also, the population is incredibly sparse even today, not to mention in the 1800s, so buh bye social stealth. Sure you have some larger cities back then like San Francisco after the gold rush, but if you're running around catching cable cars in San Fran you aren't really playing a Wild West game. And they'd really be pushing suspension of disbelief to the breaking point if they had us melee fighting in the streets when firearms were cheap and common enough that over half the male population owned and carried them.

So yeah, those are the three main pillars of AC, and the Wild West would suck for all of them.

Bleh.

Now I've got that off my chest, if the "Ubi employee location scouting" story is true, it's the next Call of Juarez. End of.

Sushiglutton
12-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Like Loyal said Ubi has a spaghetti western franchise and it's called Call of Juarez (last one was really great btw). So this is probably not AC related. I wouldn't be shocked if Ubi did make a Western AC though. I mean doing games set in America seems to be good for sales. And in Syndicate they have trains+ revolvers, so they are half way there allready...

why would anyone want a game set in montana. I don't think anything ever happened there besides Little Big Horn.

the only benefit montana has to its credit is that it isn't Wyoming

all the exciting western action takes place elsewhere, or in almeria, spain.

Red October spoiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJESLxEd0Tk

Crazy_Horse95
12-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Then wait on the next Red Dead with the rest of us :p

I've seen the "cowboy AC" theories many times and I honestly don't know why it's such a popular idea. It's literally the single worst setting I can think of. Having traveled the American West extensively, (and I adore it, it's some of the most beautiful land on Earth) I can report that there's absolutely nothing about it that would make it appropriate for AC. There's nothing to climb on, for one thing; sure there are awesome rock formations but they're all in the middle of frickin' nowhere, and before you say "tree running," most of the larger forests are coniferous, meaning straight vertical trunks and flimsy needle-covered branches. Also, the population is incredibly sparse even today, not to mention in the 1800s, so buh bye social stealth. Sure you have some larger cities back then like San Francisco after the gold rush, but if you're running around catching cable cars in San Fran you aren't really playing a Wild West game. And they'd really be pushing suspension of disbelief to the breaking point if they had us melee fighting in the streets when firearms were cheap and common enough that over half the male population owned and carried them.

So yeah, those are the three main pillars of AC, and the Wild West would suck for all of them.

Bleh.

Now I've got that off my chest, if the "Ubi employee location scouting" story is true, it's the next Call of Juarez. End of.

That's why AC series must change. . Imo, they can't stick only to the big cities forever because after few more games like Unity or Syndicate people will fell bored. We need more games like AC III and BF, because apart from Boston or Havana we also have a frontier in AC III and many islands to explore in BF (so there is a little something for everyone).
I hope that sooner or later we're gonna get Western-themed AC.
BTW I can't wait for another RDR game too :D

Saith-Masu
12-04-2015, 12:54 PM
If they are going Wild West, im done here.
The most UNrequested setting.
Whats next? Free Roam in a gold mine? Climbing a 2 meter shack with a rope launcher?
They even can go to WW2, but plz no Wild West. This Setting is boring for an AC Game. Just because it has trains it doesnt has to be used.
And secondly if that isnt a setting thousand and one other game has visited before, than my name is Jesus.
Amen.

JWRK
12-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Montana is certainly a strange place for a spaghetti western feel.