PDA

View Full Version : Jacob and Evie Frye Interactions.

trainkun0908
12-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Anyone absolutely in love with how Evie and Jacob interact so well with each other? My favorite moments were how Jacob was forced to say yes with Evie during the first Ghost Club mission from Charles ****ens and when you finish levelling up with Robert Topping, which is when Jacob asked about 'that one night?' and when Evie said 'it is not what you think'. Holy ****, now I want these two back in a sequel.

Anyone feel the same?

Assassin_M
12-02-2015, 05:03 PM
Anyone feel the same?

It was nice, yeah. Unfortunately, I don't think AC games can sustain multiple protagonists due to their short lengths. Syndicate tried to do a double arc, but ultimately, one suffered and ended up being completely convincing.

LoyalACFan
12-02-2015, 07:22 PM
I liked their interactions for the most part, but not enough to want them back for a sequel. I definitely don't want bonehead Jacob back, and Evie is cool but she kind of needs a foil like Jacob to work as a character (otherwise she would seem a bit bland and stuffy).

Ideally, I would have just liked it if their roles had been reversed in Syndicate. As it is, Jacob is the main hero and Evie occasionally pops in to clean up his messes; I would have preferred it if Evie was the main hero and Jacob had popped up occasionally to throw a wrench in the plans.

cawatrooper9
12-02-2015, 07:48 PM
I would have preferred it if Evie was the main hero and Jacob had popped up occasionally to throw a wrench in the plans.

Ah, I like that as well. More Evie, and it would allow for a more story-based game. Win/win, in my book.

distrust74
12-04-2015, 12:41 AM
I enjoyed them both a lot, they were fun together. Evie might be my favourite AC character, probably I am just happy we finally got to play a female assassin.
Kudos to the voice actors. The actress who voiced Evie imo did a way better job than Mrs. Camilla on TR (and I am sure with less time).
Wouldn`t mind a sequel with them. :)

phoenix-force411
12-04-2015, 01:22 AM
I am just happy we finally got to play a female assassin.

Then you definitely were living under a rock when Assassin's Creed: Liberation was released. I like how everyone forgets that Aveline was the first playable female assassin with her own standalone game.

Assassin_M
12-04-2015, 01:25 AM
Then you definitely were living under a rock when Assassin's Creed: Liberation was released. I like how everyone forgets that Aveline was the first playable female assassin with her own standalone game.
Just like Unity getting snubbed from having the honor of having the first trans character in the series, Aveline is being pushed to the side as well with the excuse that her game was a side show. Poor Aveline. I liked her better than Evie, honestly.

distrust74
12-04-2015, 01:40 AM
Ok, I`ll rephrase: first full AC game to feature a female assassin ;)
I admit I didn`t play Liberation, it just didn`t tempt me, neither the location nor the port.
On that note, AC China had a female lead as well, but it`s not a full part of the series either imo (I played it though).

phoenix-force411
12-04-2015, 01:40 AM
Just like Unity getting snubbed from having the honor of having the first trans character in the series, Aveline is being pushed to the side as well with the excuse that her game was a side show. Poor Aveline. I liked her better than Evie, honestly.

I don't have an opinion on Aveline since I have not played her game, but I don't think that Syndicate was enough to make Evie a "very" likable character over Aveline. At least Aveline got her own game and a small DLC content in ACIV:BF.

D.I.D.
12-04-2015, 03:07 AM

Unity deserves it. It's probably best for Ubisoft's image that few people realise what they did there. It's quite likely that will end up being the worst representation of a trans woman in a video game.

Ok, I`ll rephrase: first full AC game to feature a female assassin ;)
I admit I didn`t play Liberation, it just didn`t tempt me, neither the location nor the port.
On that note, AC China had a female lead as well, but it`s not a full part of the series either imo (I played it though).

Aveline has a much bigger role in the game, even if it's a minor title.

LoyalACFan
12-04-2015, 09:40 AM

Because Unity's trans character was pitiful, lol. Chevalier d'Eon was basically just presented as a cross-dresser.

cawatrooper9
12-04-2015, 03:42 PM

I get what you're saying, but you see how that still makes sense, right? Liberation was a handheld title, initially. Many gamers on here haven't even played it. Evie marks the first appearance of a playable female protagonist in a full console release.

AeraLure
12-04-2015, 06:08 PM
I love Evie and I'm really, really enjoying Syndicate. I think the banter between them is fantastic. Hope to see them again.

I understand the story focuses on Jacob at the end, and that's fine - I have been playing Evie through the entire game as a priority, except when I have to play Jacob, so playing him for the end will seem balanced for me. I suppose it would have been nicer though to have a small branching set of missions at the end so each character had balance.

Assassin_M
12-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Because Unity's trans character was pitiful, lol. Chevalier d'Eon was basically just presented as a cross-dresser.
Ned wasn't any better.

D.I.D.
12-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Ned wasn't any better.

Ned is a million times better.

He's a business man, he's got dignity in his voice and bearing.

The Chavalier d'Eon was presented as a pantomime dame with a stupid comedy baritone. The script is historically incorrect, where the Chevalier is basically saying, "Don't mind me, I just like dressing up in ladies' clothes!" which completely misses the point of her identity. The Chevalier had enough male-seeming characteristics to ignite speculation about her genitalia, but enough female-seeming characteristics to keep the controversy going until after her death (when a posthumous examination confirmed she was born with a ***** and testicles).

[edit] jesus wept, automod

Assassin_M
12-05-2015, 01:46 AM
Ned is a million times better.

He's a business man, he's got dignity in his voice and bearing.
He's a common thief who pretends to be a businessman.

The Chavalier d'Eon was presented as a pantomime dame with a stupid comedy baritone. The script is historically incorrect, where the Chevalier is basically saying, "Don't mind me, I just like dressing up in ladies' clothes!" which completely misses the point of her identity. The Chevalier had enough male-seeming characteristics to ignite speculation about her genitalia, but enough female-seeming characteristics to keep the controversy going until after her death (when a posthumous examination confirmed she was born with a ***** and testicles).

[edit] jesus wept, automod
Eh, so because one game pretends it's set in the 21st century where no one questions why a biological woman is dressed in a man's suit and the other acknowledges that a biological man is dressed in a woman's garment, the earlier is better? Okay.

D.I.D.
12-05-2015, 02:12 AM
He's a common thief who pretends to be a businessman.

Eh, so because one game pretends it's set in the 21st century where no one questions why a biological woman is dressed in a man's suit and the other acknowledges that a biological man is dressed in a woman's garment, the earlier is better? Okay.

Syndicate barely shows us Ned. There was no particular need to throw in some example of prejudice just so that we'd see it, particularly given the scant screen time for the character.

No, that's not it. As I said in my post, there was controversy at the time about the Chevalier's sex which is precisely bound up in the point that I am making. In terms of gender, she saw herself as female and described herself as female. The Chevalier should be a remarkable character because she had military honours. Despite the many questions about her nature, nobody gave enough of a **** to stop her, which makes her very interesting historically. The makers of the game threw away this character in a derogatory fashion.

You understand what a pantomime dame is, right? A theatrical spoof character played by a man in drag, and rather obviously so: Widow Twanky, for example? That's what the game made her: ignored her actual appearance, ignored her character, ignored her motives, and just laughed at her. That was a **** move by the CD, and I think he should be ashamed of himself.

LoyalACFan
12-05-2015, 04:05 AM
M is right in saying that Syndicate plays too PC with gender issues for a game set in the 1860s (in sexually repressed Britain no less) and D.I.D. is right in saying that Ned is a more realistic and respectful depiction of a trans person. TL;DR version is that Ned's actual presence was handled far better, but the atypical nature of his identity were unnecessarily brushed away. Although Ned is honestly such a small presence in the game that it's hard to actually care about any of this TBH. He was just a generic NPC.