PDA

View Full Version : what sub class will you pick

Zercon.
12-02-2015, 04:40 PM
what sub class will you pick for this game? it looks like 4 sub-classess so far..... sword and board / 2 handed / duel wield / range
and why?

premiumart
12-02-2015, 05:47 PM
what sub class will you pick for this game? it looks like 4 sub-classess so far..... sword and board / 2 handed / duel wield / range
and why?

All of the above because i can.

Trying out all heroes to find the one that fits your play style the most sounds like good advice to me.

coma987
12-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Who told you there is a range one? Also we know 3 out of possibly 12 characters for now so is a bit too early to say however knowing me I will go warden so longsword.

Willaguy2010
12-03-2015, 12:42 AM
I haven't seen anything that indicates ranged classes. I don't know about the other ones aside from speculation, but I'll be playing as the Legions.

Fatal-Feit
12-03-2015, 04:26 AM
All of the above because i can.

Trying out all heroes to find the one that fits your play style the most sounds like good advice to me.

This, haha. Playing and testing all heroes would also be very beneficial because that's an easy way to discover and understand all of their weak points. i.e If I didn't test the Oni, I wouldn't know to focus on defending my left and right area when fighting against them.

MisterWillow
12-03-2015, 05:03 AM
and why?

Who told you there is a range one? Also we know 3 out of possibly 12 characters for now so is a bit too early to say however knowing me I will go warden so longsword.

I haven't seen anything that indicates ranged classes. I don't know about the other ones aside from speculation, but I'll be playing as the Legions.

I'm equally confused where the impression there are ranged classes came from. At first I thought 'range' meant polearms, but there's also two-handed listed, so... :confused:

The Samurai also don't have a shield class, since Samurai didn't use shields in the same way other warrior cultures did.

I'm with coma on this one. We don't know enough about the other classes---even the one Viking class we know anything about, we know next-to-nothing about---for anyone to make a real decision on what they think their favourite class will be. I, for instance, am pretty committed to Vikings and think that my favourite will be the 'sword and board' Raider that we have a picture of, but we haven't even seen proper gameplay of him and I might prefer dual-wielding axes once information about that class is released.

Zercon.
12-03-2015, 06:26 AM
I
The Samurai also don't have a shield class, since Samurai didn't use shields in the same way other warrior cultures did.

I'm with coma on this one. We don't know enough about the other classes---even the one Viking class we know anything about, we know next-to-nothing about---for anyone to make a real decision on what they think their favourite class will be. I, for instance, am pretty committed to Vikings and think that my favourite will be the 'sword and board' Raider that we have a picture of, but we haven't even seen proper gameplay of him and I might prefer dual-wielding axes once information about that class is released.

samurai does have a shield class
http://www.sibpalkiaustralia.com/images/Master%20Park%201.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2292/5701996229_4e5494eae0_z.jpg
they have many weapons and styles

MisterWillow
12-03-2015, 07:29 AM
samurai does have a shield class
http://www.sibpalkiaustralia.com/images/Master%20Park%201.jpg
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2292/5701996229_4e5494eae0_z.jpg
they have many weapons and styles

Those are examples of Hwarang, which was a military group in medieval Korea. I'm not sure if they're re-enactors, demonstrators or a Korean equivalent of HEMA practitioners, but the style of clothing and weapons indicate that.

I'm hoping that later down the line (in an expansion) that the current factions extend their cultural breadth to include other warriors from tangential regions---so that the Chosen would have a class that's Mongol, or Chinese, or even Hwarang, so that they could actually have a shield-bearer.

But the Samurai never used personal shields, simply because their warfare revolved around mounted combat and the use of spears and bows, so a shield would be too cumbersome to carry and/or use. Pre-Samurai Japanese did use shields, but the way in which combat developed phased them out---basically, Japanese warfare was fairly decentralised, at least in comparison to European armies, so they never developed the phalanxes that made shields so important in the West.

Further Reading (https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/voutd/why_were_shields_so_much_more_prevalent_in/). :)

WYRDB0Y
12-03-2015, 10:35 PM
Those Samurai in the picture? HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHA, okay kid you gave me a good laugh!;)

MisterWillow is right, here's a read if you want:
http://samuraiantiqueworld.proboards.com/thread/28/use-shields-japan

I've seen the Chosen footsoldiers use those pre-samurai era shields, I think it's fine, won't count on seeing a class with it though.

coma987
12-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Remember guys, the for honor website has shadows of the characters. They are not scribbles, they are detailed. No chosen with a shield to be seen.

MisterWillow
12-04-2015, 09:04 PM
MisterWillow is right, here's a read if you want:
http://samuraiantiqueworld.proboards.com/thread/28/use-shields-japan

I've seen the Chosen footsoldiers use those pre-samurai era shields, I think it's fine, won't count on seeing a class with it though.

I was looking for that link. Couldn't find it for some reason. :nonchalance: Thanks.

I wasn't aware the Japanese ever used shields until this game was announced. But I saw the Samurai units in that E3 demonstration and had to look it up. I, for one, think it's great the devs took some aesthetic cues from history in making them, too. They could have easily just given them a couple of boards tied together or something equally generic for the Samurai---presuming they didn't want their AI to be shield-less, so as to give all the factions, in this regard, some basic equality.

I'm hoping the Viking units have round shields and axes.

hatchery
12-15-2015, 04:23 PM
I'll definitely be playing all the classes, but at the moment I'm thinking that I'll main sword 'n' board. Or, more accurately, axe 'n' board :p

Nickyfazzo
12-30-2015, 09:09 AM
I really hope oneone of the factions has a spear + shield fighter. Those are always my favorite. Coolest looking IMO.

MisterWillow
01-05-2016, 09:41 AM
I really hope oneone of the factions has a spear + shield fighter. Those are always my favorite. Coolest looking IMO.

That actually would be very interesting. :)

DarkFunkyGnome
01-05-2016, 04:28 PM
I will be a warden, a guy with a longsword who will beat everyone :D

FOLGRIN
01-11-2016, 12:00 AM
Dual wield would be my first choice