PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft, I plead to you: Increase the Tick Rate

Zayyanid
11-28-2015, 12:20 PM
The core gameplay of Rainbow Six: Siege is spectacular. Beyond that, it's addicting. I've never played anything quite like it and it's clear to me that it could become the best competitive FPS in years. But sadly, it's marred by a huge issue: the low tick rate.

It's evident you're pushing for this game to become a big competitive hit, and it's evident how much love, creativity and sheer brilliance you've poured into its development. You've even gone beyond the typical money-grabbing schemes of recent titles by making DLC not something that will split the player base or lock players out of gameplay options. In this day and age, these actions are commendable.

But as many of us have figured out over the past years, for a game to truly thrive competitively, it needs to be fair, balanced, mostly hack-free, stable, fluid, accessible and innovative. If a game manages to excel in all of these aspects, it will bring in a healthy competitive scene which will in turn bring in regular, high-profile streamers which will bring in a regular, active, casual and competitive player-base, which will in turn keep said game at the top of every gaming news publication, a nomination or winner for every major gaming award and most importantly, a continual financial success that will eventually result in developers taking inspiration and ideas from this game for years to come.

Rainbow Six: Siege has the potential to be that game. But it needs to launch in a state that will not drive players away from it after a few months of varied popularity. While the game is obviously not flawless in other aspects, the low tick rate is its biggest adversary to success. This needs to be fixed. Not in a patch months after launch, not after it becomes the game of the week and is then abandoned.

You have a diamond in the rough here, Ubisoft. Please do not throw it away.

ShredatorFIN
11-28-2015, 01:14 PM
Well put. My exact thoughts.

I'm still hoping it is just a Beta thing, and 1st of December servers will run at 60 hz tick rate like a dream. But I know I'm fooling myself.

It's the only flaw it has really, only some minor adjustments like better chat box, Operator balance tweaks needed. But it's a somewhat game breaking flaw. This nature of FPS with punishing damage model, small room for errors, no respawns.. unacceptable. A little peak behind corner showing 5 inches or 10 inches can make the difference between win and loss in this game. Difference between getting the kill that turns the match into your team's favor or waiting 3 minutes in spectator mode watching your team lose.

If the tick rate is lower than 60 hz, Rainbow Six Siege will never become serious esports. Which it has all other characteristics to qualify for.

And it also suffers as a casual game. In Battlefield 4 people already went ballistic about it (even after they upped it to 30 hz), but in Battlefield 4 there's tons of people dying all the time in most game modes, it's easier to shrug your shoulders and respawn, and kill a few enemies to feel better. But in this sort of game with no respawns, people will be infuriated.

II TuRk E II
11-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Yes yes and more yes

TMR.Predator
11-28-2015, 04:16 PM
+1!

enjoyMihael
11-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Tick and dedicated servers.

It's not only the tick.

The lag the net code is unreal.

1 second enemy drawing lag.

You are behind cover, somebody shoots 2 meters right of you where is only AIR, he kills you but in reality he killed ONLY AIR. Thats how you disable a good game.

UbiEpi
11-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Thank you for the feedback. Passing it along!

GrassEh
11-28-2015, 10:08 PM
I don't see what people are complaining about. The game is great just as it is with the current tickrate.
It's not tickrate's fault if you can't kill people like you are used to do in COD. But oh... this is not COD.

UWS.Comrade
11-28-2015, 10:21 PM
I don't see what people are complaining about. The game is great just as it is with the current tickrate.
It's not tickrate's fault if you can't kill people like you are used to do in COD. But oh... this is not COD.

As you've been told before, be quiet. Troll somewhere else. You have absolutely no clue what is being discussed here and you clearly know nothing about the game. The flooding of posts and comments on this issue is from people who have played extensively.

Go away and stop crap posting.

Smugliif
11-28-2015, 10:32 PM
Exactly, the only thing the lazy dev team of ubisoft needs is a little push to the right direction. Cancel your pre-order and don't buy the game until it's fixed. It's shame this will never happen since there are a lot of ******ed people and trolls in the world. Spread the word!

GrassEh
11-28-2015, 11:10 PM
Lol. I'm level 39 so I know about this game.

Original_Bars
11-28-2015, 11:44 PM
Current tick rate and P2P matchmaking is not acceptable for a game aiming at the competitive crowd.. I've seen too much people taking damage seconds after being behind solid cover (concrete/steel) heck there is enough videos circulating around as well..

Or even emptying a clip into an enemy without it registering.

Happens to anyone.. good connections and low latency.

Being a high level says pretty much nothing apart from the fact that you probably have a lot more free time than most people ;)

GrassEh
11-29-2015, 05:08 PM
Well at least it means I have played this game significantly and can have a legit opinion of it.
And yes I have more free since I was on holidays this week.

burtchnasty
11-30-2015, 06:04 AM
Bump! As true as it gets Ubisoft.

Misathanas
11-30-2015, 06:29 AM

You have absolutely NO clue what you're talking about. You don't even know what a tickrate is, so just stop trolling.

"Back to CoD with you kiddie" has never been an argument =) PC gamers don't even play CoD that much compared to console peasants.

Vemaster
11-30-2015, 11:08 AM
+1 multiple increase it UBI

Netecod and tickrate are terrible, it is worse than BF4. It is impossible to play normally. As far as I remember the problem in BF4 was because EA wanted to save money on server capacity which is why tickrate was about 10. Now EA changed his mind, and a multiple increase tickrate (now after summer it 120, before 60 and earlier about 10 - when game released) and further optimized network code. Now it plays good. The next step for Ubisoft - otherwise they will not see my money.

Zenjamin86
11-30-2015, 11:17 AM
Well at least it means I have played this game significantly and can have a legit opinion of it.

You obviously aren't aware of what we're talking about. Ever been killed AFTER you've run around the corner? Or AFTER you've leaned back in from peeking? I have - many times. My ping has nothing to do with it - I get amazing pings. Bandwidth is also not an issue (no it isn't at all even if it wasn't I see your cable and raise you 1gbps fibre optic dedicated - welcome to Tokyo).

The problem is the tick rate - how often the server reports your position in game to others in game basically. A low tick rate means others see you in the open when on your screen you've been behind cover a good half a second. A high tick rate (60 or above) needs significantly more bandwidth I believe - but means when you run around that corner, you won't be dying half a second later. Kill trading? Also often tick rate related. These problems have plagued BF4 - but it's not a problem because BF4 was never meant to be for hardcore FPS guys. This game obviously is - and if they want it to be an esport they need to fix this as well.

milk._
11-30-2015, 03:05 PM

Moron

FLYNG_DUTCHM4N
11-30-2015, 03:31 PM
I didn't have a single problem with this tick rate thing...the game must be balanced so all players (high ping or low ping) should have equal chance of winning in gun fight...if increasing the tick rate will benefit ALL players, fine, but if it will benefit only the low ping player...I say NO :)

Xytaglyph
11-30-2015, 07:11 PM
This issue has been brought up in many different threads, hopefully they will take this into serious consideration and atleast increase the the tick rate significantly for ranked gameplay. As I've said before, I would hate to see this game suffer the same issue as counter-strike.

Grissa0stDrauka
12-01-2015, 04:11 PM
I think it's not tickrate in general. Coz if it's pure tickrate, than all must experience same problem. But it's that in reality, since there is many players, who can spray-kill 3-4 enemies. Me in personal rarely spray-kill 2 enemy, most times 2nd player (and other, who I cationically flanked) stay alive when bullets ends. But at CS GO I did 4-5-kills in 1 spray easy if players lained near. So, something wrong with my connection. Same problem experienced by Global Elites known by mt from same region.

For me, looks like weak server with packet prioritization based of life of packet. So, there is ALWAYS some packet from client dropped by server during world state update. But lowest ping players never experience it, white players with biggest ing on server just don't hit enemy and crying about instant death.

Or it may be just client-side hit registration.Then if server full of 100-150 ping players, they all experience same problem, not only top-pinged.

GoldLicks
12-05-2015, 05:13 AM
+1 I was joking around ingame chat about that servers maybe were 64 tickrate, then a guy replied they are 15tick--
didn't believe him, no way a new game like this is 15tick.(I don't really know the norm for tick-rates, but coming from cs:go I kinda thought this kind of game with max 10 players minimum would be 64bit !

ubisoft you made a game that asks alot of your players, in the sense of planing a attack or a defense, its "heartbreaking" to see the plan fail because the tick rate is so low. I mean there is no reason to play competitive atm. right now I only play for "stupid fun" not trying hard and that's fun(for a while), but I would really like to play it for real.

so I for one asks you to raise the tick rate, or my love for the game will die really soon. (worst part I just bought the season pass, just hours before I learned about the low tick rate.) :(

MrJGr33n
12-05-2015, 05:49 AM

The tick rate really need to be higher. They need to correct the lag compensation and to remove the lag extrapolation on there server. I ve got kill multiple time after hiding behind a wall because the server was to slow or the player was lagging on the the other side.

The hit detection on the server side is wrong as well. To many time i see blood flow in my hit and the dude is full hp after i ve died.

And an other thing. I got a 2 ms ping with plenty of server (i m on Optic Fiber) and i still have 60 and over of ping with the server... this is extremely high.
On CS GO i never go higher then 30 and i normally sit at 15-17ms. this is 4 time higher and it s not helping the precision of the player location.

GoldLicks
12-05-2015, 06:37 AM
one of the worst ways to die, when a guy instant kills you after turning a corner, but after you see the kill cam can see that your killer turned the corner about 0.5 - 1 secs before your client registered him.

Fartmancy
12-05-2015, 10:32 AM
one of the worst ways to die, when a guy instant kills you after turning a corner, but after you see the kill cam can see that your killer turned the corner about 0.5 - 1 secs before your client registered him.

This, oh my god so many times this.......

I refuse to even touch the ranked play part of the game because of the massive desync between clients in the game. And yes 0.5 to 1 seconds in an FPS is a world of difference.

SnerKcs
12-05-2015, 11:58 AM
So after at least 20hours play its safe to say, at its competitive core rainbow six is a bad game at its current state.
The gameplay is great! But the servers.....
I currently are global elite in cs and 2k hours. I have dealt with a lot of ****ty hitboxes and stuff like that. But this is taking it to a new lvl.
Rainbow six is a broken game. And its all because of the servers.

Lesson, even tho your shareholders, bosses or anyone at all wants you to cheapout on the servers to maximize the game profit. Don't, just don't. It will kill your game, like this did with RSS.

Hoak
12-05-2015, 11:54 PM
The 15 snaps tick rate might be ok for an MMORPG, but it's really not even remotely acceptable for even a casual and more simplistic FPS no less this. It's not just a matter of unskilled players complaining "OMFG HOW DID YOU KILL MEH!?" it's that what you see is NOT what you get, packet loss in just 15 snaps becomes hyper-critical, hit-reconciliation looks primitive at best, and down right ghetto far too much of the time. Players also far too often see it in map feature interactions that obviously don't work properly from hooking-up to rappel, weird behavior in setting up equipment -- you don't need high pings or massive packet loss for this to be an obvious issue in a game where precision shooting and timing is the definitive Do the simple math, we have weapons that shoot over 700 r/m in this game, that's over 11 rounds a second, on just one snap the server can incorrectly reconcile more then enough shots for a decisive outcome.

GoldLicks
12-06-2015, 08:29 PM
bumb

Sabotskij
12-07-2015, 12:11 AM
Hello devs. and everyone else in charge of the servers and all that. This is your *cough* bosses boss speak. You need to do what these fine gentlemen in this thread have been saying.. stat! That is all. bye.

SoaringJaguar13
12-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Hello devs. and everyone else in charge of the servers and all that. This is your *cough* bosses boss speak. You need to do what these fine gentlemen in this thread have been saying.. stat! That is all. bye.

See, the higher ups said it! Do it, do it, do it!

Tsukasa18
12-07-2015, 12:42 AM

All your level says is your level. You could have next to no kills in every game and/or mostly afk behind your shield and get exp and rank up. You can have someone level capped as is in all other games, and still not know what you're doing or the actual mechanics of the game. Level means nothing except your time spent (which could be all wasted time if you spent zero attention to detail)

Tsukasa18
12-07-2015, 12:44 AM
This, oh my god so many times this.......

I refuse to even touch the ranked play part of the game because of the massive desync between clients in the game. And yes 0.5 to 1 seconds in an FPS is a world of difference.

Seen too many killcams show that the enemy was looking right at me clear as day for about this time before he kills me, while we were both firing at one another. Something needs to be done asap.

Hoars
12-12-2015, 06:44 PM
So true, every game experience some sort of wierd *** lagg-tickrate sort of issue. Like being in front of a guy trying to melee him. But when i saw the killcam i was facing the wrong way, with my back exposed to him which makes no sense cuz i was standing infront of him. this stuff makes me not wanting to play the game.

saigonrice
12-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Agree completely. There's always a general feeling that there's some kind of delay. I've been killed by people who, from my point of view, strafed past a window. The killcam however showed them strafing past the window, strafing BACK towards the window, then aiming and shooting. That's completely unacceptable in what's supposed to be an otherwise competitive shooter.

AciD.StreaM
12-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Seen too many killcams show that the enemy was looking right at me clear as day for about this time before he kills me, while we were both firing at one another. Something needs to be done asap.

That moment you're guarding a single window, and suddently got killed from there whitout see the killer. Then you watch in kill cam and it shows the killer (in rapel) had full sight of you... Now that's b***s***!

Rabbit032
02-02-2016, 01:16 PM
Bump, if you want to be taken seriously with eSports this must be done. I don't care if no bumping is allowed, no point in making a new topic when there is this with an existing discussion.