PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts after playing the open beta extensively.

TypeTen
11-27-2015, 11:49 PM
First off, cracking game, lads! It's a really great game you've made here, even if the servers are on the squiff.

I'm just going to outline some things I've noted here for your perusal. (I'm on the PS4 version)

1: The instant team killing at the start of matches is a pain, and deactivating team damage would be going against the grain of realism you've set yourselves up for. However, team damage at the start should be either nullified, cause for immediate kick, or mirrored (you shoot a teammate, you take the damage). Also, multiple instance of team killing should either result in auto-kick or lower the required number of kick votes needed for kick.

2: This may be down to it being a beta, but your tutorials aren't exactly all-encompassing. Multiple people online are ticker than the non-wallbangable walls they stare at for an entire attack round, so they should probably include a bit more information, or simply have a larger number of them.

3: Ranked play is cancerous when you're matched with multiple people who have yet to even play the game. Matchmaking isn't matchmaking, it's server hunting, and my rank so far seems completely unnecessary as it's never changed the player ranks/types I've been matched with. Again, this might be beta problems.

4: Ranked play should be locked until level 10, and then require multiple placement matches. Might be a beta thing, but I'm honestly just really hoping the last two are due to beta.

5: You should REALLY modify the end-game menu. I want to quit then and there, after the match is over. As it stands, I have to wait until I'm once again put into matchmaking (which can be instant, so impossible to quit) or I get an abandon and a cooldown, along with not receiving anything I earned that game. Disallowing quitting in the scoreboard is a, frankly, stupid design choice, and the one who made it like that should be shot.

6: I've been staring at the "Trying to reconnect" counter on my PS4 for roughly an hour now, and noticed that over time the intervals between attempts grows. Stop that, that's stupid. Keep them at 30 second intervals or allow manual retries.

7: I can see why picking up guns isn't possible, as what stops a Montagne picking up a shotgun? Hopefully, the game telling him it's either shield+pistol or shotty+nothing. Really, it's actually just the complete inability to swap all together. It's strange and honestly doesn't matter for the most part, but I've been on the offense a couple of times where I've actually ran out of ammo, and a dead friend on the other side of the hallway is cuddling a nearly full rifle that my character lacks the physical ability to obtain; possibly due to a hex that some voodoo man from back home affronted his spirit with when he was a child. Maybe the gun has been grafted to my friend's hands? Who knows. (I know ammo refilling is a thing, but the open beta lacks that Operator, but what if he's dead and lacked the forethought to place the ammo?)

8: The lack of a minimap, while understandable, is a bit *****(apparently the synonym for "strange" is illegal on here, it's slang for not-straight people, sure, but erasing it because of preconceptions towards a negative audience is terrible). How do we have all this HUD and camera markers and yet not have a minimap? It seems like something that would be included with a package that auto-updates your current vision cone with a marker representing the known location of an enemy. Maybe the markers only appear in-HUD, to stop the complete nerfing of Pulse (who, to be honest, is complete ****. Sorry to the designer behind him, but he lacks any useful traits.)

9: Bomb selection spawn point is slightly off, sometimes the bombs are on different floors and right beneath each other (living room on house, for example). Better naming schemes and/or maybe a floor number next to the map signaling what floor you're looking at/what the bomb's on would work. It would fit with the menu.

10: Positional audio. You sound like you're a floor above yourself, it's honestly really off putting.

11: Pump-action shotgun honestly, as of writing, has no benefit over the other shotguns. There's not much of a point to it. It's range severely lacks, and the faster firing shotguns make up for the lack of accurate pellets by launching more of them quicker to fill the gaps left by the last ones.

12: I saw it in another post, but some maps having a power box that you can damage (probably inside the house would be better) to out the lights sounds really cool, actually. Take NV as a side tech?

13: No, seriously. How the hell do ranks work? I get no promotion after 7 wins on the trot against really hard enemies, then I get a team full of chaff and we lose and I derank, sometimes up to thrice. THRICE! I seriously doubt the ranking system has any bearing on anything, honestly, as it certainly doesn't affect the matchmaking system's decisions. What's it's purpose?

I suppose I'll come back and update if/when I come across more to moan about. Us Brits love a good moan.

EDIT:

14: On voting to kick; you shouldn't be able to vote kick someone instantly, they should have had an AFK round or team kill later on in the game/rounds. Otherwise ****lord premades can just kick you instantly if you, for instance, take "their class" or some other childish **** like that. I was playing with a friend just and we joined up with a premade threesome. They have pri now, because priority vote is 3 votes not 4. They instantly kicked my mate four seconds into the round. Like the upstanding player I am, I turned around and mowed the ****s down with my Frenchie, resulting in an instant loss, then quit. Childish? Maybe. But if there's anything French people know, it's that Violence Baguettes Violence.

EDIT2:

15: Don't let us join games that are 3-3, 2-3, or anything else with a 3+ on either side. Me and a friend were stuck at Gold II for literally 12 straight wins, with no sight of increase ( honestly believe Gold II is the max), and then join a game that's IN THE GAME OVER SCREEN and drop to Silver IV. My friend and I haven't cared a single bit about the ranks in ages because of this single reason. They make no sense nor difference to the search.

TypeTen
11-29-2015, 12:21 AM
Bump for yankland time.

EDIT: As if my previous thread post wondering if various words containing swears (without being abrasive words themself) got both removed and earned me a bot warning about using expletives. The automated nazi service on this site needs a bit of work, sadly. It also recognises an ancient synonym for strange as a swear word, probably due to it's incorrect use as a homophobic slur. That shouldn't be cause for censoring the word in every case. If you notice it's negative in one instance, reprimand the cause of that instance, don't strip our language from us.

lettucedevils
11-29-2015, 01:13 AM
12: I saw it in another post, but some maps having a power box that you can damage (probably inside the house would be better) to out the lights sounds really cool, actually. Take NV as a side tech?

I LOVE this idea as there could be day/night versions of each map and i think it would be so cool! but sadly since the games so close to release it probably wont happen ;(
i honestly think they should delay the release and work on servers/adding more content

TypeTen
11-29-2015, 01:38 AM
I LOVE this idea as there could be day/night versions of each map and i think it would be so cool! but sadly since the games so close to release it probably wont happen ;(
i honestly think they should delay the release and work on servers/adding more content

There are day/night versions of the maps anyway. EMP grenades also out lights in a room when they go off, it's just that the outage is short-lived to incentivise setting up with your teammates for a coordinated sting. I understand why power boxes AREN'T in the game, I'm just saying they would be cool on a specific map or something. Side objectives in objective based games are always sought after.

Don't hope for a delay, that would be really rubbish. The game is absolutely brilliant as it is. I have no doubt that the day 1 patch will fix most of the issues already brought up on the forums so far, this is just a list of what I've noted and also would like to see changed/added/removed. I'm a long-time CS player and also was a massive boff-child on the previous Tom Clancy games, whether it was H.A.W.X. (which are amazingly well done games) or R6. The early R6s are very dated now and weren't that brilliant anyway, but Vegas? Vegas was brilliant, and 2 followed it's wake very well. This will be a great game for a couple years to come after release, whether or not they do anything even remotely related to any of my outlined items.

GrayH2
11-29-2015, 01:50 AM
Honestly I LOVE the idea of having a powerbox (or maybe a powerbox AND a backup generator?!) and being able to pick nightvision as a tech option.

I said in another thread that I wish we could customize our gadgets, and one of my suggestions was lights for the deployable shield....it'd be so ballin' to have all your lights go out while defending an area and then pop down a shield + turn on your flashlight attachment on your gun and have instant but limited lighting....could even add purpose to smoke grenades and flashbangs from blitz/stun grenades (multiplying the effect for those who are wearing NV)

Sounds like an amazing concept tbh, and one that a 'realistic breach and clear' style game would NEED...

DEVS PLEASE GET ON THIS

S4R1N.PdM
11-29-2015, 02:49 AM
Honestly there is so much missing out of this game that would easily make it one of the best shooters 2015, but it's like after the E3 demo they just stopped giving a f**k. I mean look at how awesome the trailer looked, right now it looks like a B grade/indie studio made this game. The lighting is trash, the shaders are crap, there's nothing interesting about the game, it just had enjoyable shooting mechhanics.

In its current state (ignoring the horrific network/MM problems so close to launch), this is a game I would have expected to have been released 5 years ago.... It's just so... lazily made... if they put half as much effort into the game as they did the marketing and the website we'd have a friggin amazing game that I'd jump at even at full price.

Right now I would only consider getting it if it was in a bargin bin for $20 or less.

TypeTen
11-29-2015, 04:00 AM
You're honestly being too cynical. While I agree that some effects are well messed up (the INSANE amount of bloom during the day, for instance) the majority of them are perfectly fine. If this ever becomes a competitor sport too, then how many players do you think would even have the details up anyway? Not many, I can assure you; anything for a slight edge. Not that that's a valid argument, as many of us don't give a flying fecal pancake about going pro (and let's face it, the only load of gamers that care a smidgen about getting edge over other players in the graphics department are PC gamers, generally. I'm one, and I never cared for anything other than my game looking good and my play being better. However, some of the more devout believers in the crap "PC Master Race" BS are nuts over that stuff though.)

Your points are all opinion, though, so it's not going to matter much what I say here. However, I'd just like to posit that I find the game thoroughly enjoyable and am more than willing to pay full price for a game that's already so much fun and so different in a BETA of all things.

Hope-Rises
11-29-2015, 07:32 AM
9: Bomb selection spawn point is slightly off, sometimes the bombs are on different floors and right beneath each other (living room on house, for example). Better naming schemes and/or maybe a floor number next to the map signaling what floor you're looking at/what the bomb's on would work. It would fit with the menu.

this is really good idea.putting a number near each location to show which floor it is BUT i think the order of locations are from top to bottom.
the first one in the list is the last floor (on top) and the one in the last in the list is something like garage and thing that are on the lower floors.so if it's like this (which is like this for these 3 maps) i think we don't need the system you've mentioned.

no light change in this game.cause having all these lamps working like a real light source , that would be difficult for both PC and Consoles.
the lights in this game are 90% baked into the textures.(i think)

TypeTen
11-29-2015, 12:16 PM
this is really good idea.putting a number near each location to show which floor it is BUT i think the order of locations are from top to bottom.
the first one in the list is the last floor (on top) and the one in the last in the list is something like garage and thing that are on the lower floors.so if it's like this (which is like this for these 3 maps) i think we don't need the system you've mentioned.

I was talking more about when bombs are on separate floors; it only shows one bomb, then expects you know the maps enough to know where <insert arbitrary room name here> is. Even if the menu is relatively explanatory after your first four games, a massive studio has a large checklist of things that HAVE to be in the game, and one of those is easy readability and accessibility. My comprehension skills are nothing to scoff at, but it took a while to puzzle out that: top of list = top of building.

no light change in this game.cause having all these lamps working like a real light source , that would be difficult for both PC and Consoles.
the lights in this game are 90% baked into the textures.(i think)

Don't quote me on this, but I think only world lighting is baked, as EMP nades cause the room (that it detonated in) lights to turn off for about six seconds.

NewT-Shirts
11-29-2015, 12:29 PM
I have the actual game Ranked match is locked out till lvl 20

TypeTen
11-29-2015, 12:34 PM
I have the actual game Ranked match is locked out till lvl 20

I don't exactly understand what you're saying there, but I wasn't locked from ranked play at all, I could get into it at level three when I finally tried to escape the sheer amount of trash in casual. I didn't escape much, but anything is better than nothing. Is that what you were on about?

DJ_Cas
11-30-2015, 03:51 PM

+ Rain/weather effects ...

FLYNG_DUTCHM4N
11-30-2015, 04:14 PM
1: The instant team killing at the start of matches is a pain, and deactivating team damage would be going against the grain of realism you've set yourselves up for. However, team damage at the start should be either nullified, cause for immediate kick, or mirrored (you shoot a teammate, you take the damage). Also, multiple instance of team killing should either result in auto-kick or lower the required number of kick votes needed for kick.

The only useful part is the last phrase

3: Ranked play is cancerous when you're matched with multiple people who have yet to even play the game. Matchmaking isn't matchmaking, it's server hunting, and my rank so far seems completely unnecessary as it's never changed the player ranks/types I've been matched with. Again, this might be beta problems.

You should help the other ones...and who said low rank = noob? Everybody should play together so experience must be shared

4: Ranked play should be locked until level 10, and then require multiple placement matches. Might be a beta thing, but I'm honestly just really hoping the last two are due to beta.

You should help the other ones...and who said low rank = noob? Everybody should play together so experience must be shared

5: You should REALLY modify the end-game menu. I want to quit then and there, after the match is over. As it stands, I have to wait until I'm once again put into matchmaking (which can be instant, so impossible to quit) or I get an abandon and a cooldown, along with not receiving anything I earned that game. Disallowing quitting in the scoreboard is a, frankly, stupid design choice, and the one who made it like that should be shot.

So you want no one to see your bad performance, so you want to quit before other players see it lol

I understand your point...besides the ability to quit right after the match ends, its a good idea to have a CONTINUOUS MAP ROTATION...not the time wasting option to rematch or to go back to menu.
7: I can see why picking up guns isn't possible, as what stops a Montagne picking up a shotgun? Hopefully, the game telling him it's either shield+pistol or shotty+nothing. Really, it's actually just the complete inability to swap all together. It's strange and honestly doesn't matter for the most part, but I've been on the offense a couple of times where I've actually ran out of ammo, and a dead friend on the other side of the hallway is cuddling a nearly full rifle that my character lacks the physical ability to obtain; possibly due to a hex that some voodoo man from back home affronted his spirit with when he was a child. Maybe the gun has been grafted to my friend's hands? Who knows. (I know ammo refilling is a thing, but the open beta lacks that Operator, but what if he's dead and lacked the forethought to place the ammo?)

At last something good...well done.

Its a good idea but if you start change too much the game, the majority of the players will not like it...I mean, its a video game, not real life! BTW, its not everyone that like night vision :nonchalance:

TypeTen
12-01-2015, 01:18 AM

The only useful part is the last phrase

1: So you'd rather be killed at the start of the match THEN have him kicked? Or worse, be the only one killed at the start of multiple rounds before the auto-kick happens? I mean, that's up to you, like, but I personally find that a bit ****.

2/3: When I play games with friends I'm usually on TS with them (even when I'm on console games with them), and my lack of a PS4 mic means that helping as and when isn't an option. I also lack the patience to learn the myriad languages people speak on the planet, so anyone who's both **** AND French is going to have even less help than I wasn't giving out already. Thing is, ranks are there for a reason, and that's to find people who have earned their way to a similar position as yourself. As it stood in the open beta, they had literally no effect. They were pulling you in with people who you eradicated because they'd never played the game, and who you watched run off into their own death, giving up a defense point or just falling off buildings. It's not teaching, it's carrying and destroying. People don't learn from that, they give up. So you're wrong, I should not help others.

Low rank is more likely to equal noob than it is to equal good, that's a fact. Going by your ideals, we shouldn't have job résumés, we should just let people who want to man power stations do it, just because they want to. That's stupid, and you know it.

So I can't help people get better over the course of less than twenty minutes, even if I wanted to.

You're also wrong about quitting in the scoreboard. Why can't they just make a snapshot of the end game scoreboard and have people leaving a distinctly different thing. CS:GO, League, and DotA all do it. Why can't this game? It can, you're just simple mindedly attacking opinions you haven't actually bothered thinking about.

At last something good...well done

But... but I didn't suggest anything. Or are you that entertained by my sarcasm?

Its a good idea but if you start change too much the game, the majority of the players will not like it...I mean, its a video game, not real life! BTW, its not everyone that like night vision :|

I don't know whether you're aware of this or not, but you can actually navigate dark places WITHOUT NV of some sort. Also, who are you to speak on behalf of the "majority"? The myriad players of all the previous R6 games and also the GRAW franchise didn't seem to have a problem having a tactical night advantage over other players, so I don't know what possesses you to believe there's this hatred for "real life" things such as, light, and, errr, less light.

http://s3.india.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/srk-fan-5.jpg

General PATT0N
12-01-2015, 01:59 AM
I've posted this in a few different places, hoping UBI will get the message: more button-mapping/customization. It's pretty important in a TACTICAL shooter. I'm not a huge fan of any of pre-sets we have now, so would it really be that difficult to add?

TypeTen
12-01-2015, 10:56 AM
I've posted this in a few different places, hoping UBI will get the message: more button-mapping/customization. It's pretty important in a TACTICAL shooter. I'm not a huge fan of any of pre-sets we have now, so would it really be that difficult to add?

Ah, are you another one of the people asking for swappable shoulder buttons? R1 on R2 instead and such? I've seen a load of people asking for that, actually. It's quite surprising it isn't already in the game!