PDA

View Full Version : What's happening to AC games?

ROCKnROLLA74u
11-26-2015, 07:48 PM
To start off, i would like to say that i do like syndicate. Ive loved every AC game. However, the latest series of AC games have fallen far below my expectations. AC Black Flag was awesome but had holes in the story. The intro was ridiculous; Edward Kenway kills an Assassin and puts on his uniform and is now a master assassin. Hmmm I dont think it works like that. Aside from the intro, the story was good. But there was not enough of the story. Every mission was so basic. There was not enough meat on the bones if that makes sense. There isn't much to the missions. They all follow the A B C format but it seems they are missing B. And so it seems Rogue, Unity, and Syndicate are having the same problems. Simply put, the missions need to be more in depth. They need to have multible parts. Having multiple ways to complete the assassination is very cool. but there needs to have more leading up it.
We all know Unity had an amazing premise. But the glitches were so overwhelming that it made it hard to play. When the co op multiplayer would work, it was fun and new and just plain fun. I would like to see that brought back. Maybe have like a separate campaign. Player vs Player has never been fun in my opinion. But co op is a different story.
Not being able to whistle to get guards attention was the most frustrating thing. Using firecrackers was just absurd. So i was really happy when i started syndicate and saw that i could whistle again. that should be part of the foundation to every AC game, like the assassin gauntlet or the hood.
I really liked in Rogue ( maybe Black Flag too) , how if someone saw you do something bad, they would run off and let the guards know. The guards would than come to the area where the incident occurred. that was very cool. Why is that not in Unity or Syndicate?

Now on to Syndicate. This game is fun but is lacking a few things:

- No meat to the story. Seems like it was made at the last minute. Needs to have more main story missions that just as in depth as the assassinations
- When you upgrade an item, it should alter its appearance
- what happened to displaying the old AC outfits in your hideout?
- the hideout is pointless now ( having it on moving train is a very cool idea) changing outfits and stuff you should have to go the hideout.
- No puzzles.... that is really bugging me. Ive played almost a 60 hours, and i came across one! little puzzle that i don't know if i would count it .
- You dont get the sense that you are playing in history or feel like your altering it like you did in the first 3 games
- ANOTHER BIG ONE in my opinion is the DATABASE. wtf? why when i discover something new it doesn't allow me to instantly look at the information on it by pressing a button. i have to go into the start menu than database and try and find it that way. If you haven't been in there in awhile it makes even more difficult because everything has "new" icon next to it. By not having quick access to the database it takes away from the history lore behind the game. Big mistake because guess what its game based off of history.
- no rope dart ( small problem but a depressing one :()
- You should be able to put your hood up or down without having to sneak. (make your hood an item on the D pad like the weapons and you could still have A to sneak, just a thought)

In my opinion and im sure others feel the same way is that sequels are suppose to build off of the previous. Not have less, but new and improved.

It really seems like you guys are just rushing to get an AC game out every year and I'm not the only one who feels that way. The AC series could go a number of ways. But none of that will matter if your guys dont start improving on the stories.
Im a big fan of AC so please take this advise into consideration

D.I.D.
11-26-2015, 08:39 PM

What if I like the weapon, but don't like its upgraded appearance? What if I never use the original at all and don't even get to see how it looks because I upgrade it at the same moment I buy it? That sounds like a lot of extra design work for no good reason.

Unnecessary? Inappropriate? They're displayed in my menus. If the Fryes had an expansive Georgian townhouse in central London then it might make sense to have a big room dedicated to clothes and items, but they didn't

- the hideout is pointless now ( having it on moving train is a very cool idea) changing outfits and stuff you should have to go the hideout.

I disagree with this, too. Say I've just found/earned an outfit, and I'm miles away from the hideout. It's a lot of hassle to open the map, go to the train, walk down the train to the clothes area, then to... open a menu. If what I'm doing at the end is opening a menu, then I'd like to be able to do that wherever I am. The only circumstances in which I'd be in favour of a location-specific place to change clothes would be if there were clothes shops all over the city and my character could walk in an buy things. I loved the look of those few item shops with the glass and brass fittings, and it was always a nicer experience to go into one of those than to trade with the street vendors.

- No puzzles.... that is really bugging me. Ive played almost a 60 hours, and i came across one! little puzzle that i don't know if i would count it .

Agreed, I'd like proper puzzles. I quite liked the picture-based music box clues, and the way you could triangulate locations from landmarks and building styles in the images, but that's about all we got. That thing at St. Paul's definitely doesn't count :)

- You dont get the sense that you are playing in history or feel like your altering it like you did in the first 3 games

I thought Syndicate was a big step up on that front than Unity, Rogue, Black Flag, ACIII or Revelations. It wasn't momentous, but it was still decent. We stopped the Templars getting the Shroud, prevented the assassinations of the Queen and Prime Minister and so on.

- ANOTHER BIG ONE in my opinion is the DATABASE. wtf? why when i discover something new it doesn't allow me to instantly look at the information on it by pressing a button. i have to go into the start menu than database and try and find it that way. If you haven't been in there in awhile it makes even more difficult because everything has "new" icon next to it. By not having quick access to the database it takes away from the history lore behind the game. Big mistake because guess what its game based off of history.

Agreed, but it's been like this for many games now. Unfortunately in Syndicate's menus, even lighting up a header counts it as "read" whether or not you opened the entry, which makes it really hard to keep track of what you've seen.

Don't care. It's an OP weapon that's best remaining as a special feature of the Kenway cycle.

- You should be able to put your hood up or down without having to sneak. (make your hood an item on the D pad like the weapons and you could still have A to sneak, just a thought)

I really hope they're weaning players off the hoods entirely, to be honest. I want them gone. They look stupid and they interfere with good design. The clothes are so good in Syndicate, mainly because they're not designed around a hood. Unity's clothes just look ridiculous, because they had to tack a hood onto clothes that had no business being hooded. Again, let Ezio be his own thing, and let's move on. I want my Assassin to be a part of the world in which he/she walks.

In my opinion and im sure others feel the same way is that sequels are suppose to build off of the previous. Not have less, but new and improved.

I'm sure others agree, but I don't. This was the curse of the games by the time Revelations appeared - it was bogged down with an absurd number of ways to kill people, and no idea how to make any of it fun. Just smothered under layers of accumulated gunk. I want a reason to go back and play an older game - to use that cool item, to enjoy the mission types it had. I don't want every game to be in iteration of the last one, at least not any more than it has to be (and there's a massive laundry list of things we have to carry from game to game, without insisting that all parts come along).

phoenix-force411
11-26-2015, 09:00 PM
Now on to Syndicate. This game is fun but is lacking a few things:

- No meat to the story. Seems like it was made at the last minute. Needs to have more main story missions that just as in depth as the assassinations

It really seems like you guys are just rushing to get an AC game out every year and I'm not the only one who feels that way. The AC series could go a number of ways. But none of that will matter if your guys dont start improving on the stories.
Im a big fan of AC so please take this advise into consideration

- Syndicate's probably one of the longest games despite nine sequences. There's a lot of side activities to do, and so, it helps balance out the pacing of the game. It's not like Rogue and its predecessors where you could just run right through the game without little to no complications. I think they've made more of an advancement in Modern Day since Assassin's Creed III in Syndicate.

- No, I don't like if items did alter in appearance. If a particular item looked better not upgraded, then it would be a regrettable decision to upgrade it. Cosmetic changes can be more of an annoyance than a bug or glitch.

- The hideout can seem pretty pointless due to being able to equip items and gears from the Inventory Menu, but I believe this is intentional so that it wouldn't be so tedious to keep going back to the Train Hideout. It was freakin' annoying to go back to Monteriggioni just to equip new gears since you would have to leave your current location. I don't mind the hideout being the way it is, but at least it is not entirely pointless and you can fast travel to it. I would have liked to have upgraded it just because I have a lot of money now.

- AC was never about altering history. It was not until ACII where the protagonist became more involved with real-life figures. The thing about being involved with real-life figures is that it could contradict certain historical events. ACIII is an example of being too involved.

- I wouldn't find the rope dart very useful. It is a shame that the rope launcher was never used in combat.

- Putting the hoodie on the d-pad or on the tools would be a bad decision and would cause unnecessary cluttering. It would be better to:

I know how this could work...

Go to Options > Game Options > General

Under General, add in an option called "Hood" and give it three settings: "Always On," "Always Off," and "Default." This should satisfy everyone.

Under "Always On," your hoodie will stay on whether in stealth or out of stealth. This will not apply to cutscenes.

Under "Always Off," your hoodie will stay off whether in stealth or out of stealth. This will not apply to cutscenes.

Under "Default," your hoodie will toggle on when you are in stealth, and toggle off when you are not(this is the game's intended setting).

My main peeve with this game is how simplified and dull the free-running and parkour mechanics are in Syndicate. I would have liked for them to just copy & paste the free-running and parkour mechanics from Unity into Syndicate. I have no trouble with Unity's mechanics.

m4r-k7
11-27-2015, 07:45 PM
AC Black Flag was awesome but had holes in the story. The intro was ridiculous; Edward Kenway kills an Assassin and puts on his uniform and is now a master assassin. Hmmm I dont think it works like that.

What? He wasn't a master assassin when he put on the robes. He already had the skills. He put on the robes to pretend he was an assassin to get a reward. Only when he found out about the assassin order and what they stood for and started doing things for them did he become one. AC 4 was the last incredible AC game IMO. The story and gameplay were stellar. Yes it had the common AC problems (crappy AI, easy combat) but all in all it was the last AC game that really blew me away in terms of things other than the world Ubisoft designed.

sharpblade1508
11-28-2015, 05:19 AM
I really hope they're weaning players off the hoods entirely, to be honest. I want them gone. They look stupid and they interfere with good design. The clothes are so good in Syndicate, mainly because they're not designed around a hood. Unity's clothes just look ridiculous, because they had to tack a hood onto clothes that had no business being hooded. Again, let Ezio be his own thing, and let's move on. I want my Assassin to be a part of the world in which he/she walks.

I couldn't disagree more, although I think hoods should be optional, all things considered. And your comment is precisely the reason why. You represent the crowd that doesn't like the hoods, but there's also a massive portion of the fan base that does. Solution? Hoods need to be a toggled option controlled completely by the player and not restricted to sneaking or otherwise. Then no one feels alienated. The people who don't like hoods such as yourself, would never have to wear it again, simply don't toggle it on. And those of us who like the hoods? We shouldn't be disregarded just because some people don't like them. So the toggle satisfies us too, we can wear the hood if we so desire. A toggle doesn't force either appearance on either side of the issue, and hood or no hood is left entirely to the player's discretion, everyone can be happy (save for the people who even a toggle couldn't satisfy, namely the people who don't care what anyone else wants and want to strip the hood away entirely, or the other side of that coin who want a permanent hood, both sides are just stubborn and a little selfish at that point), and that's the end of it. Or of course if Ubi doesn't ever do this, they can have the system they've had in the past, some outfits have hoods always, others never have hoods. Also plain and simple, you select your outfit based on whether or not you want a hood. The point is, both sides need to have some way of looking the way they want to, if for no other reason than avoiding arguments on the issue, which is why I think a hood toggle option is best, because nobody "wins" and nobody 'loses", it's just how you (as a player) decide to look.