PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with the P-38!

Saburo_0
03-22-2004, 12:35 PM
We flew some co-ops in the P-38 last night & like a lot of people at first i was surprised how much the nose moved around when when firing. But after a while I noticed something.
The nose shake was quite disruptive when firing in a tight turn/high AoA, but when i was diving in on targets she was steady as can be.

Lessons:
1. Use short bursts (squirts) when slow &/or turning hard. Preferrably just firing mgs or cannon but not both.
2. When at high speed & low AoA let rip! In this situation you can hose 'em down & correct your aim easily.

These same points go for other planes as well but the difference is more noticable in the P-38. IMHO

Hope this helps someone!

Saburo AKA FI Up-N-at-'em

Saburo_0
03-22-2004, 12:35 PM
We flew some co-ops in the P-38 last night & like a lot of people at first i was surprised how much the nose moved around when when firing. But after a while I noticed something.
The nose shake was quite disruptive when firing in a tight turn/high AoA, but when i was diving in on targets she was steady as can be.

Lessons:
1. Use short bursts (squirts) when slow &/or turning hard. Preferrably just firing mgs or cannon but not both.
2. When at high speed & low AoA let rip! In this situation you can hose 'em down & correct your aim easily.

These same points go for other planes as well but the difference is more noticable in the P-38. IMHO

Hope this helps someone!

Saburo AKA FI Up-N-at-'em

FI_Deathsledge
03-22-2004, 01:05 PM
yeah short bursts is the only way for this bird. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif