PDA

View Full Version : Who's with me on this: Enough with Scooby Doo!

D.I.D.
11-23-2015, 06:06 AM
Even though AC3, Unity and ACS have different writers, they all have the exact same approach to supernatural tales, almost as if some shadowy figure was pulling strings behind the scenes to force it to happen a certain way. My money's on cranky old Mr. Jefferies, who hasn't been seen since his amusement park shut down.

You know how it goes. "People have seen a weird flying disc in the sky! Oh, it's just some crap in a tree. People think they've seen ghosts! Nope, here's the sensible explanation. Local legend! That one... might be real? Who knows! Spoooooooky!"

I don't believe in any supernatural stuff whatsoever, including gods, and even I find this insulting. I love horror and fantastical fiction as much as anyone else. After what's happened previously, you already knew how Syndicate's Chickens missions were going to go, and sure enough he sends you out in lieu of the Mystery Machine to find out that everything's bollocks. And this, from a game where disco elves created humanity and magic swords, and evolution and geology are wrong.

May I remind everyone that this lore included a fantastic piece of grain-of-truth storytelling involving a supernatural Victorian cult? http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Divine_Science:_Chapter_4_-_Frater_V.O.V.
In the case of that Project Legacy thing, the cultists talk about the Secret Chiefs who are not invented by anyone at Ubisoft - mythical figures who, when talked about inside the AC fiction, become undeniably similar to the First Civ. The possibilities there are huge. But Assassin's Creed The Game would never allow something mysterious and otherwordly like this. It'd be a trick done with stained glass, candles and hallucinogenic gas to trick people out of their money or something.

Either don't do it at all, or give us something properly bizarre, please!

HDinHB
11-23-2015, 06:14 AM
You haven't reached sequence 6?

I like Scooby Doo.

D.I.D.
11-23-2015, 06:17 AM
I think I'm in Sequence 7? I just got hit by a game-breaking loading bug after "Driving Ms Disraeli". I've done Sequence 8 already, if that's the Maxwell Roth stuff.

I've been doing everything really slowly, doing all the side work before advancing the story (unlocking Aegis and all colours, liberating all districts, getting Respect ranks for side characters, etc).

[ETA] Aside from the reminiscence of Scooby Doo, there's also a certain Fable 3-ness about the way AC does the Chickens/Darwin stuff and the way a lot of side content in Unity was handled. That's not a good thing.

cawatrooper9
11-23-2015, 05:11 PM
I think it works decently enough at first- the haunted house was actually kind of creepy, even though (in my fiance's words) ****ens was a "buzkill the entire mission".

But I do think it would be cool if, if we have missions like these again, they do eventually culminate in something at least ambiguously paranormal. We have precedent in it via the POEs, First Civ, etc...

There's no reason everything has to have a real world explanation here.

Pandassin
11-23-2015, 05:32 PM
Actually in AC Syndicate there is a legit supernatural figure called 'Springheel Jack' or something like that, he's in the D'ckens missions.

Also in AC3 and Rogue the headless horseman was legit too.

HDinHB
11-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Actually in AC Syndicate there is a legit supernatural figure called 'Springheel Jack' or something like that, he's in the D'ckens missions.

But SHJ was just a nutjob in a costume with smokebombs. I guess we never unmasked him a la Scooby Doo ("and I'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"), but I have no doubt he was human.

HH in AC3 could have been real or just a maniac in a pumpkin head for what little interaction there was, but in Rogue he was definitely real and definitely headless. I know because I hung him with a rope dart and stared down his neckhole. The alternate method of slaying him also indicates supernatural forces at work.

cawatrooper9
11-23-2015, 07:11 PM

I guess that one was left a little ambiguous...
But honestly, I just assumed (as did ****ens, and the twins pretty much too) that it was just some dude.

D.I.D.
11-23-2015, 08:18 PM

He's not Spring-heeled Jack. He's a man in a costume who rants about punishing the poor.

The Spring-heeled Jack of legend was so weird that people at the time thought he was a demon, and in the 20th century extra-terrestrial conspiracy theorists wondered if he was an alien. Anyway, the final Jack comes under

Local legend! That one... might be real? Who knows! Spoooooooky!"

... like the Headless Horseman. It's so bad.

I guess that one was left a little ambiguous...
But honestly, I just assumed (as did ****ens, and the twins pretty much too) that it was just some dude.

Definitely. Unless demons sound like Am-Dram enthusiasts and look like ****, and in my personal Hell they might.

RzaRecta357
11-24-2015, 02:51 AM
Did you not beat the Charles missions? The cultists were in masks.

The main man had glowing eyes and leaped an impossible bound you had to zip line up. He then disappeared in front of you like 8 times.

It's clearly implied that final mission is Supernatural.

D.I.D.
11-24-2015, 03:20 AM

The main man had glowing eyes and leaped an impossible bound you had to zip line up. He then disappeared in front of you like 8 times.

Yes I did, and I know the cultists were in costume. but if the final Jack was supernatural then he's the worst monster I've ever seen. He looks and sounds exactly like a human being, he wears human clothes, he's wearing a mask, he talks about very human matters, and he uses smoke bombs which isn't a very ghost/demon/alien thing to do. Plus the fact that he disappears iin a puff of smoke and reappears in another smoke cloud suggests it's still multiple people creating an illusion of teleportation. On the vanishing thing: Evie can 'disappear', but she's not supernatural.

Plus, you get hit with a disorientating blast of special smoke right at the start that makes you woozy, and it takes a few seconds to recover and give chase. AC has had many examples of drugs in smoke form messing with your perception of reality.

The implication to me seemed much more like "could be, could be not, but probably not".

Think about what Jack is shouting all the time:

"I am a ghost! A fiend! A terror in the night! No one is safe from my beastly claws!"

Actual ghosts and demons would sound very weird talking like this. I'd be disappointed. I'd give the Devil so much side-eye.

He does shout about how "no weapon forged by man can harm me", but more importantly he couldn't harm us. Other people got murdered, but we didn't, and Just A Flesh-wound Jack ran away. So, you know.

cawatrooper9
11-24-2015, 04:10 PM

He used a smoke bomb whenever he "disappeared"...

As far as him leaping... well, in a series where a middle-aged gangster like Maxwell Roth can scale up a building with as much ease as Jacob, and in which portable ziplines exist, I think we can reserve some skepticism about how these "leaps" were accomplished.

RzaRecta357
11-24-2015, 10:50 PM
Heh.. Now I just think it's a case of you guys thinking about it to hard. He yells he's a fiend and a freak because that's what the papers said back in the day and ubisoft are dorks. That's the reason.

Also, he looks pretty much like the descriptions from back then. Read the wikipedia. That's all. It's definitely a maybe.. maybe not thing like you guys are saying.. But that leap and all that was meant to make you definitely think MAYBE compared to the cultists. The shouts were literal headlines from papers. Ubisoft were just being dorky with their fun little mission tbh.

Also, we've had giant squids and krakens if you want to count those as supernatural haha.

D.I.D.
11-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Supernatural creatures don't throw smoke bombs, end of story :)

That's exactly what I mean, though! The kraken/squid thing was a lovely moment in its day, something unexpected and mysterious, showing you that not only is there more intrigue bubbling under the political surface than most citizens of Ezio's world realised, but there's also more weird stuff in the world than just PoEs. A nice little hint, made very explicitly, but left open-ended.

Now, I'm not necessarily asking that they cram devils, yetis and selkies into AC. As I say, either do it or don't, and I'd be fine if they don't. What I don't like is this insistence on "Hey, Assassin! Go and check out the weird thing!", when we know damn well it's going to end up with the game patting us on the head and chuckling about how gullible people can be. It's not just the message but also the delivery - the kind of humour that isn't actually funny, done in the exact style of Fable III (except at least the ghosts are real in Fable III).

The Woodman Legacy story was great. It was about a 'real' occult group, they really were Hermetecists like the cult in ACB, and they really believed they could contact the Secret Chiefs. Alaister Crowley was one of the key members. In the story, they use an experimental ritual on Woodman that leaves him neither dead nor alive, experiencing other lives through history in the same way that people do in the modern day story with the Animus. It was a suggestion that the Animus technology might have been inspired by other people who'd found ways to access genetic memories before the technology existed to read it. If they want to temper supernatural themes through the AC fiction, that's the way to do it.