PDA

View Full Version : Warp?

buz13
03-02-2004, 08:12 AM
I suppose it's too late to ever get a "warp to next waypoint" function in FB. But in any future sim by Oleg I would hope this is added. It's common in other sims and saves lots of time getting to the action. In one mission I flew today it would have taken 24 minutes just to get to the action at real time....sure I did the 8X speed up but that took three full minutes....some missions are a lot longer. Since you can do the 8X thing this is not a realism issue.....so what is the problem with a warp function?

buz13
03-02-2004, 08:12 AM
I suppose it's too late to ever get a "warp to next waypoint" function in FB. But in any future sim by Oleg I would hope this is added. It's common in other sims and saves lots of time getting to the action. In one mission I flew today it would have taken 24 minutes just to get to the action at real time....sure I did the 8X speed up but that took three full minutes....some missions are a lot longer. Since you can do the 8X thing this is not a realism issue.....so what is the problem with a warp function?

clint-ruin
03-02-2004, 08:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buz13:
I suppose it's too late to ever get a "warp to next waypoint" function in FB. But in any future sim by Oleg I would hope this is added. It's common in other sims and saves lots of time getting to the action. In one mission I flew today it would have taken 24 minutes just to get to the action at real time....sure I did the 8X speed up but that took three full minutes....some missions are a lot longer. Since you can do the 8X thing this is not a realism issue.....so what is the problem with a warp function?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Things have to happen. There are certain calculations FB does 'under the hood' that have to take place. On a lot of slower machines 8x is no faster than 2x time acceleration, dropping frames doesn't actually help. Even on absolutely beastly machines, full blown 'high' intensity campaign missions can be a little chuggy with time acceleration happening.

There is probably no way to 'warp' and still have FB do what it needs to do, code wise. Maybe a request in ORR for '16x'+ time acceleration would be more suitable.

The term 'simulation' has more than one meaning when you are talking about a computer program.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg