PDA

View Full Version : The perks represent everything Ubisoft does not get about open world games

RaggedTyper
11-21-2015, 11:13 PM
I have just spent 30 minutes driving around London looking for a police carriage to hijackn because they don't spawn often. I have about FOURTY FIVE left.
Why does it need to be 50? HOW is that a challenge? How is that even fun?
After the first 15 times it becomes clear that the player knows how to steal a police cart. We don't need to do it 50 times!

LoyalACFan
11-21-2015, 11:20 PM
I agree, the perk numbers are obnoxiously high. But police carriages are actually pretty easy to find depending on where you are in the city; there are a ton in Westminster, I believe. I think there's a trophy for jacking a bunch of police carriages; try looking up a walkthrough for that trophy. They'll probably show you some spawn hotspots.

Just curious, though... is there a better way to steal one of the police carts other than just stabbing one of the officers from the street, then hijacking the other one? Because if you climb on top and kill both officers in one move, it doesn't count as "hijacking" it for some reason.

RaggedTyper
11-21-2015, 11:24 PM
I agree, the perk numbers are obnoxiously high. But police carriages are actually pretty easy to find depending on where you are in the city; there are a ton in Westminster, I believe. I think there's a trophy for jacking a bunch of police carriages; try looking up a walkthrough for that trophy. They'll probably show you some spawn hotspots.

Just curious, though... is there a better way to steal one of the police carts other than just stabbing one of the officers from the street, then hijacking the other one? Because if you climb on top and kill both officers in one move, it doesn't count as "hijacking" it for some reason.

If there are two officers in a cart. I just stealth knife one and then hijack from the other.

LoyalACFan
11-21-2015, 11:32 PM
If there are two officers in a cart. I just stealth knife one and then hijack from the other.

That's what I did too, it just seems like a bit of a clunky exercise considering that it's something that they actually direct you to do. Half the time the other cop bails before I can hijack him.

BananaBlighter
11-21-2015, 11:42 PM
I found that hijacking normally, getting thrown out and then running up to the cart and re-hijacking it, worked more often than not. The police cart slows down after the first attempt, but if you reach it before the remaining policeman gets out, it all works fine. Compared to the double counter kill perk, this is nothing. I'm on 45/50-ish for this one. I'm on 20/50-ish for that one.

I'm starting to think 50, for the double counter kills, was a mistake. Not only do enemies rarely attack simultaneously, you don't always manage to counter them and the they aren't always on low enough health. Also because my Rooks keep messing things up when I'm trying to let the weakened enemies attack me. They're such a pain, and a simple fix like preventing them from attacking enemies in the near death state, would help sooo much.

Sushiglutton
11-22-2015, 12:09 AM
That does sound like something Ubisoft think is fun.

HDinHB
11-22-2015, 02:12 AM
If it's not fun, why do it? The perk doesn't unlock an amazing gem or POE. I understand the desire for the trophy, but why grind for a perk that isn't very perky?

You can complain that it's not good game design, but that's not really news is it?

SixKeys
11-22-2015, 06:40 AM
In general I hate perks/challenges/trophies that try to change how I play the game. I dislike the fact that there are so many that require you to be a reckless driver or a mass murderer in order to get points. I enjoy trying to do runs where I only kill my target (or at least as few people as possible) but there's no "pacifist" challenge. I prefer driving normally because I still wish to pretend there's a shred of social stealth left in the series, even though it's obvious the carts were designed with the complete opposite playstyle in mind. You get points for being reckless, loud and brutish, but less so for being stealthy and discrete.

Like that trophy, destroy 5,000 things with the carriage? Eff that, I'm not even going to try. It would change my gaming experience from roleplay-oriented to gamey, doing stuff just for the sake of it, and I don't want that.

crusader_prophet
11-22-2015, 11:10 PM
In general I hate perks/challenges/trophies that try to change how I play the game. I dislike the fact that there are so many that require you to be a reckless driver or a mass murderer in order to get points. I enjoy trying to do runs where I only kill my target (or at least as few people as possible) but there's no "pacifist" challenge. I prefer driving normally because I still wish to pretend there's a shred of social stealth left in the series, even though it's obvious the carts were designed with the complete opposite playstyle in mind. You get points for being reckless, loud and brutish, but less so for being stealthy and discrete.

Like that trophy, destroy 5,000 things with the carriage? Eff that, I'm not even going to try. It would change my gaming experience from roleplay-oriented to gamey, doing stuff just for the sake of it, and I don't want that.

The one that disgusts me most is the one where you unlock a trophy for killing horses. I mean WTF in the world? They included a transgender character to be inclusive, what about animal friendly people? Forget about the fact that how much the carts and carriages smashing and killing does not remotely subscribe to what AC's social stealth is about which is supposed to be the franchise's one of the three pillars.

LoyalACFan
11-22-2015, 11:56 PM
I'm starting to think 50, for the double counter kills, was a mistake. Not only do enemies rarely attack simultaneously, you don't always manage to counter them and the they aren't always on low enough health. Also because my Rooks keep messing things up when I'm trying to let the weakened enemies attack me. They're such a pain, and a simple fix like preventing them from attacking enemies in the near death state, would help sooo much.

I've never gotten a single one. And I can count on my fingers the number of times even high-health enemies have attacked in unison. Granted, I'm not explicitly trying to get it, but you'd think it would have happened at least once or twice, right?

RaggedTyper
11-23-2015, 12:24 AM

Go to the fight club level 2.
But be warned - you will be bored to tears. When you're having to actually deliberately TAKE PUNCHES thus depleting your health just to wait for when they double attack you know it's a fail.

Sorrosyss
11-23-2015, 02:46 AM
Got to agree with most of the comments here - the perks are badly implemented.

The whole point to them was that you got better after doing a specific action. However, as so many had such high number requirements, just playing normally I had only unlocked about 20% of the perks by the time I had 100% synched the game (50 odd hours). Looking at them I had several that were even at zero on the counter, or a handful on the way to 50 or 75. The requirements were just far too high for normal play.

As an OCD completionist, I finished them up afterwards, but it was not fun at all honestly. The road rage and drift ones took forever to get. But in terms of the perks doing what they were designed for, they were badly implemented purely due to the high requirements.

HDinHB
11-23-2015, 02:59 AM
The one that disgusts me most is the one where you unlock a trophy for killing horses. I mean WTF in the world? They included a transgender character to be inclusive, what about animal friendly people? Forget about the fact that how much the carts and carriages smashing and killing does not remotely subscribe to what AC's social stealth is about which is supposed to be the franchise's one of the three pillars.

There has been animal killing and trophies for killing animals in every game since AC3, except Unity.

There are multiple trophies that require killing 20 or even 50 people, but 5 horses disgusts you more?

SixKeys
11-23-2015, 03:25 AM

I gotta admit I laughed out loud when that achievement popped up. It's even named "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU". :D

I'm curious if you were also offended that AC3 and Black Flag had achievements for hunting animals and killing whales.

HDinHB
11-23-2015, 03:45 AM
I was offended it took three whale skins to make one jacket. :rolleyes:

SixKeys
11-23-2015, 05:19 AM
I was offended it took three whale skins to make one jacket. :rolleyes:

Or a tiny ammo pouch.

D.I.D.
11-23-2015, 06:11 AM
Yeah, definitely way too much. The Wanton Destruction one was irritating enough, but the 5000 on top is beyond obnoxious. There are a few which help you to practice particular combo tricks, but the majority of them are pretty terrible and/or too repetitious.

There's no need to try and trigger combat ones, aside from Fancy Moves counters that require a gun. You can farm the main ones just by doing Fight Clubs. Westminster's one is especially good because there are so many rounds, so many opponents, and level 10 fighters. If you need to build up Combat Mastery, double/triple/multi-kills etc, that's the place.

cawatrooper9
11-23-2015, 05:14 PM
If it's not fun, why do it? The perk doesn't unlock an amazing gem or POE. I understand the desire for the trophy, but why grind for a perk that isn't very perky?

You can complain that it's not good game design, but that's not really news is it?

Exactly. That's why I'll never consider myself a trophy hunter- I don't mind challenging myself to beating specific achievements that I find worthy, but I feel no need to 100% every random thing (especially monotonous things like this and the music boxes).

BananaBlighter
11-23-2015, 05:53 PM
I've never gotten a single one. And I can count on my fingers the number of times even high-health enemies have attacked in unison. Granted, I'm not explicitly trying to get it, but you'd think it would have happened at least once or twice, right?

I depends on your fighting style. If like me, you try and set up as many multi finishers as possible, it happens much more frequently. I found accidentally, that when you counter enemies that are on low enough health, you perform a counter kill like previous games. To pull of a multi counter kill, only one of the attackers has to be weakened, but if you always finish off weakened enemies before moving on to the next one, you won't be giving yourself any opportunities for a multi counter kill. Alternatively, as a level 10, when I counter level 2s and 3s, it is an automatic counter kill, so that works too.

Go to the fight club level 2.
But be warned - you will be bored to tears. When you're having to actually deliberately TAKE PUNCHES thus depleting your health just to wait for when they double attack you know it's a fail.

Yeah no, I'm not too bothered about wasting my time there. If I happen to just come across any fight club, I'll do it, though by now it's become a bit boring. I agree though, that for this specific perk, low level fight clubs are the best place to farm them. I find that they come naturally, often enough, though every now and then, challenging yourself to dodge every attack while waiting for a double counter, removes the feeling of a chore.

crusader_prophet
11-23-2015, 05:55 PM
I gotta admit I laughed out loud when that achievement popped up. It's even named "WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU". :D

I'm curious if you were also offended that AC3 and Black Flag had achievements for hunting animals and killing whales.

No, not really because they served a purpose in the game for crafting. Hunting is still a hobby that many of us practice and I can associate with that. Killing criminals that are people in a game does not make me feel bad. However, when I compare that with killing horses for fun without purpose, it just struggles to find a spot in the logical or emotional space of my brain. I do not see people going around killing horses to sabotage a cart. I rather kill the criminal driver who is driving it.

But I gotta admit that trophy name is hilarious :)

crusader_prophet
11-23-2015, 05:56 PM
There has been animal killing and trophies for killing animals in every game since AC3, except Unity.

There are multiple trophies that require killing 20 or even 50 people, but 5 horses disgusts you more?

Yes, see my reply to SixKeys.

cawatrooper9
11-23-2015, 07:10 PM
No, not really because they served a purpose in the game for crafting. Hunting is still a hobby that many of us practice and I can associate with that. Killing criminals that are people in a game does not make me feel bad. However, when I compare that with killing horses for fun without purpose, it just struggles to find a spot in the logical or emotional space of my brain. I do not see people going around killing horses to sabotage a cart. I rather kill the criminal driver who is driving it.

But I gotta admit that trophy name is hilarious :)

I get it, ponies are cute...

But seriously, others have pointed out the silly "you'll kill people but not horses" argument, so I won't bother with that (still valid, though).

However, I'll not this:

Killing a single horse pulling a cart can stop a cart with multiple Blighters on it- so, rather than having to take down multiple targets, you only have one. It's more strategic.
Also, from a moral standpoint, if you can kill one horse to save multiple people, isn't that worth it?

BananaBlighter
11-23-2015, 07:14 PM
When you're being chased in a carriage, the most strategic thing to do is shoot the horse. You only need one shot to take down a horse, which requires much less precision than a headshot on the driver. You waste less bullets, and of course, watching the carriage trip over the horse and go flying in to the air is pretty amusing.

HDinHB
11-23-2015, 07:24 PM
When you're being chased in a carriage, the most strategic thing to do is shoot the horse. You only need one shot to take down a horse, which requires much less precision than a headshot on the driver. You waste less bullets, and of course, watching the carriage trip over the horse and go flying in to the air is pretty amusing.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" :cool:

BananaBlighter
11-23-2015, 07:34 PM
"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" :cool:

MWAHAHAHAHA!!! I do not care how I achieve my goals, I aim for total efficiency!

cawatrooper9
11-23-2015, 07:36 PM
MWAHAHAHAHA!!! I do not care how I achieve my goals, I aim for total efficiency!

Hey, at least Jacob can get come "Neigh-neigh mutton" out of it.

crusader_prophet
11-23-2015, 08:09 PM
I get it, ponies are cute...

Yes, that too :)

RzaRecta357
11-24-2015, 02:48 AM
Sorry if this has been said.

Have a rook drive the police cart and then get on and off again over and over.

Popped my plat like this.

Also, Gabe liked my tweet nagging about the 5000 items a week or two ago. It's immersion breaking and even they know it. Whoever was in charge of trophies... Yeeesh. I liked the list but it felt the most Grindy out of any AC game.

RaggedTyper
11-26-2015, 01:31 AM
Sorry if this has been said.

Have a rook drive the police cart and then get on and off again over and over.

lol thanks so much! Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear this is like Watchdogs 'drive to the sea and police can't touch you' fail all over again.