PDA

View Full Version : Did the patch hurt radio communication?

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 08:17 AM
My friend and I like to play online with a direct ISP link each weekend. This was the first weekend we played post patch and we could not get the radios to work correctly. We both heard sounds that were like a tape recorder going fast forward. We both attempted to adjust the hardware acceleration on our sound cards but this made no difference. Has any one else had this issue? I know that there is a general sound problem with the patch that the developers have already found the solution to (but don't seem interested in sharing) but I didn't hear anything about the radios being down. By the way, we tried all three channels: Army, Common, etc. We know it is the patch too because we didn't have any problems the week before.

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 08:17 AM
My friend and I like to play online with a direct ISP link each weekend. This was the first weekend we played post patch and we could not get the radios to work correctly. We both heard sounds that were like a tape recorder going fast forward. We both attempted to adjust the hardware acceleration on our sound cards but this made no difference. Has any one else had this issue? I know that there is a general sound problem with the patch that the developers have already found the solution to (but don't seem interested in sharing) but I didn't hear anything about the radios being down. By the way, we tried all three channels: Army, Common, etc. We know it is the patch too because we didn't have any problems the week before.

XyZspineZyX
08-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Short answer... probably. If it doesn't work now then you'll have to find another way to communicate.

BTW, so you experience the new, post-patch sound bug, that your engine sound suddenly gets very quiet throughout the game? It has been suggested that the internal comms may be linked with this. Certainly I have never had internal comms enabled, and I have never experienced this sound bug.

So here is my suggestion to try to alleviate both problems.

- Disable radio comms using the in-game sound setting screen. Note that this is different from turning 'chatter' off using the NoChatter=1 line in the conf.ini settings; that line is to turn off the AI speech.

-Download TeamSpeak. Great (free) program. Personally I think it is better than the other two or three comm programs out there. Seems like there are more options and it sends less data than the others (ie. uses less bandwidth).
http://www.teamspeak.org/
You both need the client:
ftp://ftp.ngz-network.de/pub/11/4/releases/ts2_client_rc2_2031.exe

And one of you needs the server running too:
ftp://ftp.ngz-network.de/pub/11/4/releases/ts2_server_rc2_201940.exe
It would be best if the one not hosting the game hosted the teamspeak server.

<CENTER>http://www.666th.com/uploads/forumsigs/5-il2logo.gif</CENTER>