PDA

View Full Version : LOCKING TAILWHEELS?

VF-3Thunderboy
06-12-2004, 05:24 PM
When you take off in a WW2 fighter, you must first lock the tailwheel!Moving the stick forward/or back,(I think) usually unlocks it.

Tie it in to the elevator?

VF-3Thunderboy
06-12-2004, 05:24 PM
When you take off in a WW2 fighter, you must first lock the tailwheel!Moving the stick forward/or back,(I think) usually unlocks it.

Tie it in to the elevator?

IV_JG51_Razor
06-12-2004, 06:27 PM
IL-2:FB/AEP already has a "lock tailwheel" key available. However, it doesn't really do anything except keep the tailwheel from swiveling. You can still turn just as well with it locked as with it free. I think it's more of an eye candy thing than anything really useful.

Razor
IV/JG51 Intelligence Officer
www.jg51.net (http://www.jg51.net)

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from poor judgement"

rummyrum
06-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Try locking your wheel before take off and notice the differnce. It is there and works http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

9./JG54 Rummy

Fliger747
06-12-2004, 08:20 PM
The tailwheel lock control on the F6F Hellcat was a small sliding (fore and aft) lever just behind the trim controls on the left side pannel, just behind the trim controls, which are just behind the throttle quadrant.

For deck takoffs and landing this isn't of such importance as the wind over the deck will give rudder authority from the start, and the hooked wire will keep teh roll heading down deck. For dry land adventures a tailwheel lock assumes some importance!

Fliger747
06-13-2004, 01:16 AM
On the F4U the tail wheel lock is actuated by a small "T" handle near the trim wheels, below and behind the throttle quadrant on the left side of the cockpit.

PlaneEater
06-13-2004, 01:29 AM
...and on the Mustang, as well as (I think) the P-40 and P-47, fore and aft movement of the stick controlled it.

On the P-51, while the tailwheel was locked, the pilot had some steering control over it by holding the stick back and moving it left or right. To unlock the tail wheel, he pushed the stick forward. It says so, right there in the cockpit: "TO UNLOCK TAIL WHEEL PUSH STICK FOREWARD".

Fliger747
06-13-2004, 03:49 PM
From examination of some detail drawings of the control column and tailwheel assemblies on the P51, it appears that pulling the stick FULL back tensions a teleflex cable which runs back to the tailwheel and engages the lock. Easing the stick forward a bit would disengage.

Placard on the side of the throttle quadrant says: "WARNING! For ground runup keep stick full back do not operate above 40" mp with tail unsecured".

I recall Vidar had a chance to fly a P51, perhaps he could elucidate us on this point.