PDA

View Full Version : Future improvements to Syndicate's building LOD rendering?

lordbob5
11-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Firstly, absolutely loving the game and its great to explore London.

I do however have one slight pet peeve right now...! The most noticeable right now is the quick LOD (level of detail) scaling when you're at a certain distance from buildings.

A perfect example would be around the houses of parliament... if you're standing at the other end for example, Big ben has already scaled down and doesn't look all high quality. Some buildings end up looking quite terrible and they're not even that far away. Now, I perfectly understand this is to help performance and what not and honestly this seems -normal- for consoles... but what about the PC? Will there be any improvements to this.. either through Ubisoft patches, Nvidia drivers or maybe even mods?

(Probably best to right-click > View image to see full detail)
Here's a good example. Take a look at Victoria tower on the right. I'm not exactly far away at point and its already scaled down. :(
http://i.imgur.com/MUuNf23.jpg

And here's another shot after moving just a little bit closer. (distance more visible in minimap movements)
http://i.imgur.com/z2CE7lL.jpg

Here's a good one of Big Ben when its not at its best quality, despite being quite close;
http://i.imgur.com/OzqvLlV.jpg

Walk just a few steps further and we're back in business..
http://i.imgur.com/tdlHcTw.jpg

But we want to be in business from a much greater distance than that. I might just be really picky here but I adore the work put into the high quality models, its just a shame to see them scale down so quickly from short distances. Big Ben for example really bugs me when it scales down. the clockface goes extremely plain and has a black square around it which doesn't look great at all.

Finally, less significant structures seem to be worse. (to be expected if they're not a landmark.. but..) again, its hardly far away from where i'm standing.
http://i.imgur.com/m1m6n9I.jpg

My current specs;
i7 2600k
gtx 770 4gb
Environment; Ultra high
Texture Quality; High
Shadows: High (not using PCSS due to reports of it eating frames)
Ambient Occ: HBAO+ ultra
AA: MSAA
Running between 40-50fps.

Like I said, I understand it does this to improve performance.. but.. even folks with beasts like the GTX 970 will surely be experiencing the same thing because its how ubisoft have designed it?

I'm just crossing my fingers in hope that we'll be able to adjust this setting and allow people to really push their rigs to support higher quality buildings/objects from a much greater distance.

Thanks for reading :)

lordbob5
11-22-2015, 10:05 PM
bump~

EijiFuji
12-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Yep, due to console optimization the game has been dumbed down. The render distance is very low in this game and at some point it's quite horrible.

Like you I hope Ubisoft will do something to rectify this.

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
12-04-2015, 03:32 PM
what is that XP thingy near the mini map ?

x___Luffy___x
12-04-2015, 05:04 PM
We wont get a LOD option in pc version, it has been like this in everygame and probably will be same in future AC games. It was same in unity.

@ Rohith That XP icon is of the xp boost that you can buy with the helix points or if you have a gold edition you get a permanent boost.

YazX_
12-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Please note bumping is against forum rules, for more info about forums rules click the link on my signature.

Back to topic, yes i agree, FOV slider would be great or an increase in the draw distance if its fixed and cannot be changed.

@ Rohith That XP icon is of the xp boost that you can buy with the helix points or if you have a gold edition you get a permanent boost.

it comes with Season Pass which Gold Edition has ;)

x___Luffy___x
12-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Oh yeah, It might be in season pass, i have the Gold Edition so i didn't know that :)

RVSage
12-04-2015, 09:13 PM
It is season pass. I have the same thing too :)

Wolfmeister1010
12-04-2015, 11:53 PM
We've been asking for an FOV slider since the beginning lol. At least since AC3 when we moved to the AnvilNext engine. We know it is possible too in the engine, since there is in game footage of AC Unity and AC Syndicate e3 footage showing high quality LOD models far FAR into the horizon.

But who are we kidding, we've been asking for so long. They certainly aren't gonna just start to listen to us now haha

Frag_Maniac
12-05-2015, 12:19 AM
I think it's safe to say there will be no FOV slider or LOD adjustments.

1. Both Unity and ACS don't even have a real BRIGHTNESS "slider", just a few preset clicks on a bar.
2. They hard coded cloth physics to 30 FPS for consoles, which is pretty much locked to the physics engine.
3. They actually went the reverse direction with LOD in the last patch, which performs no better, maybe even worse.
4. We can't even disable the horrible motion blur they hard coded to carriages. Some players are literally getting sick from it.

Aside from having sabotaged PC graphics in Watch Dogs for platform parity and lying about it being a necessary performance adjustment, what else do you need to convince you? You can hope all day until the cows come home, or you can realize WE are their cash cows that are slowly wandering off for greener pastures. I mean look at the meager sales. They're finally getting what they deserve.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same will happen with Far Cry Primal. Did you hear the eerie silence that it's world premier drew at the awards over it's bland simplicity and repetition? Oh but the devs talk about how excited they are about the project, like we're supposed to be, despite them ignoring the fact that they put out a survey with several premise scenarios they polled us on, not ONE of which was anything like Primal.

Ubi are like MS, they act like they care about gamers, but we're just money to them, that's all. They go on and do what they want regardless of what we think. What likely happened is they came up with a brainstorm, lets ignore the poll, and just crank out a quick easy animal reskin game with a few weapon types that have WAY too many variants, and release it in a hurry as a cash grab.

Hopefully gamers with a conscience will do the same thing they're doing with this game, BOYCOTT!

RVSage
12-05-2015, 04:03 AM
As wolf said, the request for FOV slider has been around for quite a while. And I do not understand what prevents them from doing so. But that does not mean they have never considered fan requests. the very setting of Syndicate is a fan request (Victorian London), So is the possibility of a game based in egypt. They dumbed down the combat in Syndicate, because many thought Unity combat was hard/bad/not fun (I personally thought it was the right level of combat). They have done stuff in the past based on feedback, But have they done all of the most requested fan features??? No.

The enivornment quality affects draw distance in Syndicate . If you read the description when you go to the option. For people looking for better draw distances, have the highest environment quality. But even that may not be enough. As it is not too great I guess. The amount of VRAM/Memory bandwidth/Memory speed has a slight affect too. One could overclock memory frequency for a crisper result.

The only game that really did justice to everything this year was Witcher 3. It is a gold standard how games should be designed. (But even that was not bug free or issue free). It is about how much the positives out weigh the negative . In case of Syndicate the positives do outweigh the negatives

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
12-05-2015, 01:49 PM
it comes with Season Pass which Gold Edition has ;)

the other thing i hate about uplay is that i cant get gold edition Physical copy, this is my internet speed

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2868916183.png

i'm not downloading anything soon with that, that is why i get DVD copy of the game,

BUT, i buy season pass to get everything i missed out on

what i HATE is, that they made the PS 4 exclusives made available for only Gold edition from Uplay and its DIGITAL only

WHY ? i bought the game and the season pas, WHY do i again have to buy gold edition to get the ps4 exclusive mission ?

this happened with AC 3 benedict arnold DLC , and again happened with Aveline DLC with AC 4, will probably happen again with ACS

not only am i paying 60$ for a DVD copy and 30$ season pass = 90$, you want me to again buy gold edition ? Then why the hell did i pay for season pass?