PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate Save files - how to load backup?

lordbob5
11-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Hi folks.

TLDR: I went back to the game after launch day and it wiped my progress. I had a backup of the saves, I placed them in the savegame location and it doesn't read them.

Firstly, really enjoying Syndicate at the moment. I played through on launch and got to around 5% total progress ingame... knowing that I've had problems with saving before, I manually copied my save files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\b3e80176-d175-4335-8a00-da4da6949d21\1875
and placed them on my desktop to be save. Anyway, I forgot to turn off cloud sync saving, which is what caused me to lose hours worth of progress on AC3... so to prevent that disaster again I disabled it. Seeing as I had a backup of the files, they were in the above folder and I should of thought everything will just work with no problems.. unfortunately the game is making me start a new game and doesn't appear to be reading the save files, the file formats are;
1.save, 2.save, 3.save and 4.save.

Turning on cloud sync won't fix it.

YazX_
11-20-2015, 06:40 PM
you are pasting them in the correct location but i suspect that your backup saves dont hold any progress, so check file sizes for 3.save and 4.save and report back.

lordbob5
11-20-2015, 07:10 PM
1 = 2kb
2 = 2kb
3 = 26kb
4 = 26kb

I've tried renaming 3&4 to 1&2 but its still no good. There's definitely some progress in there. Is there a way to open these files in an editor?
I've been looking around on the internet, are save games still hashed and tied to specific user accounts?

and yes, this is a legitimate copy of the game.

I noticed a lot of people had similar issues where they wanted to restore backups of their games, especially after reformatting, for example, with AC3/4/Unity etc.. but it would never read the files. I've found a save converter thing for Unity but I doubt that's of any help for Syndicate.

Thanks!

YazX_
11-20-2015, 07:37 PM
yah they contain all of your progress which is a good sign, the only thing that i can think of is the cloud is overwriting these files when you launch the game thus game prompt for new one, so to test this theory, copy your saves backup, start game then exit, go and check saves size, if they are not the same then its the cause and we will see what we can do to prevent the cloud from overwriting them.

lordbob5
11-20-2015, 07:48 PM
I already have the cloud save sync turned off. I turned it back on again and noticed it updates/overwrites my 1&2 but doesn't touch 3&4. It then just starts a new game. It does the same with cloud save sync turned off.

YazX_
11-20-2015, 10:17 PM
I already have the cloud save sync turned off. I turned it back on again and noticed it updates/overwrites my 1&2 but doesn't touch 3&4. It then just starts a new game. It does the same with cloud save sync turned off.

ok, lets try this, launch UPlay as Admin in offline mode, copy your backup saves and launch the game, does it start a new game or continue?

lordbob5
11-21-2015, 05:35 PM
It just starts a new game.

YazX_
11-21-2015, 08:28 PM
are you sure UPlay is installed at this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher ?

You may have it installed on different location and the path above is just a copy, right click on UPlay.exe and select properties, see the target field where it points and post back.

lordbob5
11-21-2015, 10:41 PM
err. yes. This is how i managed to just quickly get to the directory in the first place to set it as admin only by rightclicking the icon on my toolbar > props > file location ;)

YazX_
11-22-2015, 12:16 AM
err. yes. This is how i managed to just quickly get to the directory in the first place to set it as admin only by rightclicking the icon on my toolbar > props > file location ;)

sorry but it doesnt make any sense :) , UPlay doesnt load files in online/offline modes, thats really really strange. tell you what, lets do these steps in Q&A method:

1. if you disabled cloud sync and deleted the whole folder (1875) from saves and started a new game, would saves be created?
2. if step1 worked and you exited and entered the game, would saves be loaded?
3. if step 2 worked, copy your backup saves on saves folder and start the game, do your saves load properly now?

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
11-22-2015, 01:45 PM
can not emphasis this more : Bring back multiple saves

Blue8lizard
12-21-2015, 01:57 AM
sorry but it doesnt make any sense :) , UPlay doesnt load files in online/offline modes, thats really really strange. tell you what, lets do these steps in Q&A method:

1. if you disabled cloud sync and deleted the whole folder (1875) from saves and started a new game, would saves be created?
2. if step1 worked and you exited and entered the game, would saves be loaded?
3. if step 2 worked, copy your backup saves on saves folder and start the game, do your saves load properly now?

I did all of the things lordbob did. have the exact same problem.

1.yes, when i delet the 1875 folder it atomaticaly creats itself again, in offline and online mode
2. when i exit the game and start it again it still starts a new game. does not load old files.
3. does not work, it atomatically uploads 1.save and 2.save even thou they already exist. its like they ignore the old ones and take over.

any other ideas I had like 50% of the game already done!

got some save folders online i can schow you the folders maybe there is something up with them.
they are in win.rar and are named like this 0x1.sav, 0x2sav bla bla. renaming it doesn´t change anything.
here the link:

[Removed]

YazX_
12-21-2015, 09:18 AM
I did all of the things lordbob did. have the exact same problem.

1.yes, when i delet the 1875 folder it atomaticaly creats itself again, in offline and online mode
2. when i exit the game and start it again it still starts a new game. does not load old files.
3. does not work, it atomatically uploads 1.save and 2.save even thou they already exist. its like they ignore the old ones and take over.

any other ideas I had like 50% of the game already done!

got some save folders online i can schow you the folders maybe there is something up with them.
they are in win.rar and are named like this 0x1.sav, 0x2sav bla bla. renaming it doesn´t change anything.
here the link:

[Removed]

Saves dont work per multiple accounts, only your saves will work with your account since they encrypted per account ID, if you got any other saves, they will not load and probably the game will ignore and overwrite them, in past games it used to show "Damaged Save File".

now for your saves not loading, are you sure you disabled saves cloud sync and restarted UPlay as admin afterwards?! because i have just tried to restore old saves of mine and it worked with everyone, so i find it awkward that its not working for you.

Blue8lizard
12-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Saves dont work per multiple accounts, only your saves will work with your account since they encrypted per account ID, if you got any other saves, they will not load and probably the game will ignore and overwrite them, in past games it used to show "Damaged Save File".

now for your saves not loading, are you sure you disabled saves cloud sync and restarted UPlay as admin afterwards?! because i have just tried to restore old saves of mine and it worked with everyone, so i find it awkward that its not working for you.

Well I would try to upload my own save files if they would still exsist.

I lost them while i started the game and I lost my internet connection. while starting the game it connected back again and the game started from the beginning.
So I closed he game because i wanted to restart it so it loads properly. But auto-sync was still on and it overwrote the old savefiles.
I tried looking for a backup but i couldent find any.
so I looked in the Internet to get some savefiles about there where i stoped playing.
yeah and now there appeard a backup. but this backup is from the new uploaded savefiles.

I already contacted the support right after the game started from the beginning.

I let you know if theres anything helpfull in the reply.
Pls let me know if any of you guys still have some other ideas.

YazX_
12-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Well I would try to upload my own save files if they would still exsist.

I lost them while i started the game and I lost my internet connection. while starting the game it connected back again and the game started from the beginning.
So I closed he game because i wanted to restart it so it loads properly. But auto-sync was still on and it overwrote the old savefiles.
I tried looking for a backup but i couldent find any.
so I looked in the Internet to get some savefiles about there where i stoped playing.
yeah and now there appeard a backup. but this backup is from the new uploaded savefiles.

I already contacted the support right after the game started from the beginning.

I let you know if theres anything helpfull in the reply.
Pls let me know if any of you guys still have some other ideas.

Unfortunately, if you don't have any manual saves backups and the cloud doesn't have any recent saves of yours, then i'm sorry to say that your progress is lost, i always advise to take manual backups as precaution and also revived the thread of backup tool when the game got released so players might take a note, anyway, perhaps you have some syncing problem and support would advise you on how to solve it.

either ways, you must start taking manual backups from all games not only this one as no one knows what might happen, if you want to automate it for Ubisoft Games, then perhaps this can help you:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/889167-Ultimate-Saves-Backup-Restore-Tool-for-All-Ubisoft-Games

Blue8lizard
12-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Unfortunately, if you don't have any manual saves backups and the cloud doesn't have any recent saves of yours, then i'm sorry to say that your progress is lost, i always advise to take manual backups as precaution and also revived the thread of backup tool when the game got released so players might take a note, anyway, perhaps you have some syncing problem and support would advise you on how to solve it.

either ways, you must start taking manual backups from all games not only this one as no one knows what might happen, if you want to automate it for Ubisoft Games, then perhaps this can help you:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/889167-Ultimate-Saves-Backup-Restore-Tool-for-All-Ubisoft-Games

Thanks for the help:

I thinks im going to cry a little now.:(
Why is there o local save function and a cloud save. I dont get it.

nevermind

thanks again:)

YazX_
12-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the help:

I thinks im going to cry a little now.:(
Why is there o local save function and a cloud save. I dont get it.

nevermind

thanks again:)

Game saves locally then UPlay Syncs with cloud when you finish and start playing again, if you don't like the cloud saves and sync process, you can always turn it off from UPlay options, me personally don't like it and always rely on manual backups, but hey that's me, so i tended to turn it off long time ago, this is the case for all other clients like steam, origin,.... i just don't like like it :)

NoMadeSoul
01-04-2016, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks YazX_ for the walktrough, I just hate Uplay and its automatic saves now ....

i'm gonna cry too : I just lost nearly 50 hours of my time, thanks to uplay who just wanted to "renew my link to steam" , wich I don't know why, just erased my savegame .... and , of course, when i realised that the game was beginning from the start, by the moment I Alt-Tab the game, cut the internet and brutally close the game, it already had erased my local savegame, and uploaded it on the cloud ... and no, I didn't have local recent backups, because I couldn't imagine what happened !!

If only Ubi could replace my "cloud savegame" by some backup two days ago (sure they have backups ..) so I could download my previous savegame which I'm sure they have somewhere ... I just wrote a question to the support, but in the past they NEVER could fix my issues, so I don't really put my trust in them ...

What's the point of having a cloud, if it makes things worse ???????

Bye

Lutherniel
01-05-2016, 01:38 AM
I'm playing on PC and uplay version of the game. I lost my save yesterday and I'm posting here to add the voice of disdain for the current system of cloud save and sync or whatever it is. I have them all disabled since Black Flag time and my save still vanished like a fart in the wind. Its still doing the achievement sync thing before launch and after the game closes. Why does the save disappear so easily from not closing properly or sync error or whatever without any possible backups or recovery by uplay / anything official?

While looking around google for fixes, it seems that this game have more support and fixes from pirates than it is from Ubisoft. One of the reasons I buy legit copy of any game is because I expect perfect performance and good support and fixes from official sources. It feels like Ubisoft is doing everything it can to screw people who actually pay to play the game.

The-Bill
01-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Thank you YazX for your Ultimate Saves Tool which I have installed.

I cannot find 'Options - Disable Cloud Saves' which you refer to !!

My game came bundled with a ASUS GTX970 and I have not yet received the game code to activate it - so maybe I do not have all functionality yet. I have asked Support so I expect the issue will be resolved soon.

Having downloaded 37Gb, I am anxious to back up the downloaded files - I have put the whole of folder 'Ubisoft' onto my removable HD- if I get a crash and need to restore I will just put it back in Program Files(84) - will that work ??

Your posts have helped me enormously to get a handle on this monster - which I won't play till its activated for fear that it will be marked 'pirate'

Thank you - happy New Year all - we shall speak again I hope.

YazX_
01-08-2016, 03:58 PM
Thank you YazX for your Ultimate Saves Tool which I have installed.

I cannot find 'Options - Disable Cloud Saves' which you refer to !!

My game came bundled with a ASUS GTX970 and I have not yet received the game code to activate it - so maybe I do not have all functionality yet. I have asked Support so I expect the issue will be resolved soon.

Having downloaded 37Gb, I am anxious to back up the downloaded files - I have put the whole of folder 'Ubisoft' onto my removable HD- if I get a crash and need to restore I will just put it back in Program Files(84) - will that work ??

Your posts have helped me enormously to get a handle on this monster - which I won't play till its activated for fear that it will be marked 'pirate'

Thank you - happy New Year all - we shall speak again I hope.

Hello,

Please NOTE as mentioned multiple times in the Tool's thread, this tool is just an individual effort, it has nothing to do with Ubisoft and they never sponsored it in anyway, so now about cloud saves, this option is located in UPlay PC Client settings, UPlay PC client is the main DRM platform for Ubisoft to launch games, so when you get your game code, activate it in UPlay and if you want to disable cloud sync, you can find this option under UPlay settings.

moving next to the tool, the tool backups your saves per configured interval, its just an extra precaution to take, so you will have your local saves by game, cloud saves provided by Ubisoft service (if you have it enabled) and manual saves backups by the tool, so you are covered in all ways. and you are very welcome :)

The-Bill
01-10-2016, 03:16 AM
Hi again YazX,

All good once the game is activated - as expected. Poor Jacob is suffering while I learn the combat moves.

Regarding your excellent SavesBackup Program. I loaded it to desktop - then moved it to its own "Assassins Saves" folder (with its Data file) and with the option boxes unchecking as you instructed. It did not work.
This morning (in Oz) I ran CCleaner on the registry and found a lost reference to SavesBackup.exe. I deleted it, fully expecting that I would have to reregister it manually, but that was not necessary, it now works just fine with the folder "1875" in the "Assassins Saves" folder also, as scheduled. I thought this info might help - sorry if it is known info.

Now to ask one more question if I may ??

Is the saves backup to be regarded as an anti disaster relief only? Or can I use it to restart the game - say from the beginning- once I know how to use Jacob's blade effectively?

Thanks again for the program and your help.

YazX_
01-10-2016, 01:33 PM
Hi again YazX,

All good once the game is activated - as expected. Poor Jacob is suffering while I learn the combat moves.

Regarding your excellent SavesBackup Program. I loaded it to desktop - then moved it to its own "Assassins Saves" folder (with its Data file) and with the option boxes unchecking as you instructed. It did not work.
This morning (in Oz) I ran CCleaner on the registry and found a lost reference to SavesBackup.exe. I deleted it, fully expecting that I would have to reregister it manually, but that was not necessary, it now works just fine with the folder "1875" in the "Assassins Saves" folder also, as scheduled. I thought this info might help - sorry if it is known info.

Now to ask one more question if I may ??

Is the saves backup to be regarded as an anti disaster relief only? Or can I use it to restart the game - say from the beginning- once I know how to use Jacob's blade effectively?

Thanks again for the program and your help.

from what i understood, by saying doesn't work means doesn't start when windows start, you need to uncheck the box "Start With windows" in options before moving the tool to another folder not after you move it, so the registry key was left over pointing to the previous location before moving thus the tool didn't start with windows, you can always start it manually from the folder, uncheck "Start With windows" , close and save, then open options again and check "Start With Windows" , close and save, and the registry key will be updated with the new folder. anyway, you have sorted it out by deleting the key manually via CClearner and new key was created when you check "start with windows".

Now regarding your question, if you want to start from scratch, you can do it from the game menu, from game main menu --> options --> delete saves, this will delete the saves and you will start a new game completely fresh. NOTE, this has nothing to do with the tool, as i mentioned that the tool is not connected to the game or any Ubisoft services, its separate thing and individual effort and not sponsored nor supported by Ubisoft, Ubisoft has nothing to do with it.

The tool is just a safety measurement same as you described it, a disaster relief, however, the tool takes multiple backups when you play the game per the defined interval, suppose you set the interval to 10 minutes for ACS and played the game for 1 hour, you will have 6 saves backup, now you can restore any save from those 6 and the game will load the progress and point on where the saves have been backed up. now if you played another session for 1 hour, you will be having another new 6 saves, so total is 12 saves, you can choose which save to restore -IF YOU WISH- to restore the progress from the time that save has been backed up.

i have around 400 saves backup for ACS during all of my play sessions, now i can restore any saves from those 400 saves to let the game restore my progress at certain points, you can also take manual saves without the game running, for more info about the tool, check the thread tutorial about it.

The-Bill
01-11-2016, 01:54 PM
from what i understood, by saying doesn't work means doesn't start when windows start, you need to uncheck the box "Start With windows" in options before moving the tool to another folder not after you move it, so the registry key was left over pointing to the previous location before moving thus the tool didn't start with windows, you can always start it manually from the folder, uncheck "Start With windows" , close and save, then open options again and check "Start With Windows" , close and save, and the registry key will be updated with the new folder. anyway, you have sorted it out by deleting the key manually via CClearner and new key was created when you check "start with windows".

Now regarding your question, if you want to start from scratch, you can do it from the game menu, from game main menu --> options --> delete saves, this will delete the saves and you will start a new game completely fresh. NOTE, this has nothing to do with the tool, as i mentioned that the tool is not connected to the game or any Ubisoft services, its separate thing and individual effort and not sponsored nor supported by Ubisoft, Ubisoft has nothing to do with it.

The tool is just a safety measurement same as you described it, a disaster relief, however, the tool takes multiple backups when you play the game per the defined interval, suppose you set the interval to 10 minutes for ACS and played the game for 1 hour, you will have 6 saves backup, now you can restore any save from those 6 and the game will load the progress and point on where the saves have been backed up. now if you played another session for 1 hour, you will be having another new 6 saves, so total is 12 saves, you can choose which save to restore -IF YOU WISH- to restore the progress from the time that save has been backed up.

i have around 400 saves backup for ACS during all of my play sessions, now i can restore any saves from those 400 saves to let the game restore my progress at certain points, you can also take manual saves without the game running, for more info about the tool, check the thread tutorial about it.

YazX, No, what I mean is it did not move saves from the game into savesbackup folder - I do not often restart windows because of an issue which sometimes crops up - to do with my SSD I think - but the program was running and minimised to the taskbar. However this morning I did restart after some updates and all is well now.

Doing some research and starting to like this game - specially how Jacob runs up walls - bit like a goanna up a gum tree.

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
01-12-2016, 10:54 PM
still think its a good idea not to have multiple manual saves ? i loved when FC 2 gave me a manual save slot, so did FC 3, and it was all removed from FC 4/ ACU etc. with the uplay, backups work half the time.