PDA

View Full Version : (Spoilers) Maxwell Roth

LoyalACFan
11-20-2015, 12:26 PM
So... did anybody else immediately think Roth was basically a British Joker?

I'm talking comics/animated series/Arkham game version, not the movie one.

Homicidal maniac obsessed with performing arts, revels in his insanity, apparently has no goals outside of causing mayhem, has a homoerotic man-crush on the hero and wants to drag him over to the dark side by ridding him of his sense of justice, and ultimately kinda plots his own death at the hand of the hero.

I mean seriously, somebody else had to pick up on that?

VestigialLlama4
11-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Roth is closer to Bill the Butcher in GANGS OF NEW YORK. Bill the Butcher had Satan's Circus as his base, Roth had Alhambra.

Take a look at this video. The knife-throwing act in that mission is a direct hommage. And yes Bill the Butcher also had a kind of man-crush and tension with the hero, especially since Leo DiCaprio like Jacob Frye is a fresh young dude rather than 30s man in fright mask that is Batman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQy5xztHVPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVggUxEgv5k

The Joker might be an influence since Heath Ledger made that character one of those iconic villains that nearly every other master criminal these days are inspired by him.

cawatrooper9
11-20-2015, 03:18 PM
So... did anybody else immediately think Roth was basically a British Joker?

I'm talking comics/animated series/Arkham game version, not the movie one.

Homicidal maniac obsessed with performing arts, revels in his insanity, apparently has no goals outside of causing mayhem, has a homoerotic man-crush on the hero and wants to drag him over to the dark side by ridding him of his sense of justice, and ultimately kinda plots his own death at the hand of the hero.

I mean seriously, somebody else had to pick up on that?

Don't forget, the hero basically had a grappling hook.

Looks like Syndicate was just a reskin of the scrapped "Gotham By Gaslight" game. :rolleyes:

I-Like-Pie45
11-20-2015, 05:59 PM
I think his character was just blatant and uncomfortable anti-Semitism, even if unintended, not a homage to anything. For a team that claim to be mulit-cultural, I expected from Ubisoft regarding the portrayal of one of their first Jewish character in the series.

cawatrooper9
11-20-2015, 06:19 PM
I think his character was just blatant and uncomfortable anti-Semitism, even if unintended, not a homage to anything. For a team that claim to be mulit-cultural, I expected from Ubisoft regarding the portrayal of one of their first Jewish character in the series.

Maybe I'm naive, but I didn't really get the impression that he was Jewish. Just curious, what are you basing this off of?

I-Like-Pie45
11-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Maybe I'm naive, but I didn't really get the impression that he was Jewish. Just curious, what are you basing this off of?

Roth is a surname Jewish in origin.

VestigialLlama4
11-20-2015, 07:29 PM

Pie is right here...I wondered if Roth was Jewish myself. Because Roth is usually a Jewish surname (ashkenazi rather than Sephardi who were more prominent in England in this time). There were Jewish gangsters and underworld types in England at this time, one of them inspired F-gin.

The game doesn't address or code Roth as Jewish to its credit. Besides, Syndicate has other Jewish characters...Benjamin Disraeli and Karl Marx.

It is however deeply sad that it took until Syndicate for Ubisoft to feature Jewish characters when events like the Crusades, Renaissance and French Revolution are milestones in Jewish history and actually part of that time, place and culture in big ways.

Hans684
11-20-2015, 07:32 PM
He's a male version of Hope, but more theatrical making him far more interesting and the fact that he's anarchistic.

cawatrooper9
11-20-2015, 09:23 PM
He's a male version of Hope, but more theatrical making him far more interesting and the fact that he's anarchistic.

Jensen, from Rogue? Okay, maybe I was being naive in missing Roth as a Jewish surname, but you're definitely going to have to go more in depth with this one...

Hans684
11-20-2015, 11:32 PM
Jensen, from Rogue? Okay, maybe I was being naive in missing Roth as a Jewish surname, but you're definitely going to have to go more in depth with this one...

Both are gang leaders for starters, he had the Blighters and she control the gangs all over the Colonies, both gangs was controlled by them with Assassins and Templars controlling both gangs all over the place as both gangs terrorized the land they where in. Roth is all about the act, the performance and enjoyment of life to the point where he's at why not as reason for doing what he does, he don't deny he's bad. Hope is just as cold as him but she thinks of herself as a "good girl", she's more serious and all about the business whatever it might be, she's just as extreme as him but she wouldn't see it that way. She wanted to poison Shay to death, locked up in a gassed room at her mansion. A simple and cold plan that goes straight to the point. Roth has a show for Jacob where he pushes him(basically pulling a Joker move) with intentions of killing him, one way of the other. A show because why not, enjoying his last moments wether he kills Jacob or not. Both are cold hearted gang leaders with some emotional involvement(little as it might be), Shay and Hope might have had a thing since she invited him to dinner after training and Jacob is Roth's darling that in his final moments got a goodbye kiss. Taking their methods to consideration both oppose control, seeing as their gangs only create chaos. They're two of a kind.