PDA

View Full Version : Copy Protection Issues

XyZspineZyX
12-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Game CD#2 (POP_INSTALL) is protected by SafeDisc v-3.15.10. It is a dog of a protection and I have found that the two CDs are prone to damage, easily. Unlike Tages or SecuROM it doesn't yet install proprietary drivers but it is doing something to screw with my system. The protection is a dog because it is dicking me around. I am sick and tired of the "Wrong Volume" messages, the emulation software conflict messages and the "insert correct CD-ROM" dialogue even though I have the original CDs. Yes, I use Alcohol 120%, CloneCD and other backup software but I buy my games and this one is for my 13 yo daughter. Fortunately, Call of Duty with SafeDisc v-3.10.020 doesn't interfere in any way with game play. Please don't let this turn into the fiasco that afflicted Neverwinter Nights where anyone with a LITEON burner was asked to disconnect the drive for game play! Eventually, the SecuROM copy protection was patched out because SecuROM and Bioware couldn't get all their goats in one paddock.

Under the 'Fair Trading Act' in all Australian States and Territories, it is illegal to pursue "Forced Trading" or in this case, the opposite of Forced Trading. It's like saying that if you drink Pepsi, I'll refuse to let you use, buy or sell Coke. It's not on. Just because I have one program installed doesn't mean you can't refuse to let my legally licenced software run as advertised.

Through the goodwill of my retailer, I am now on my third original set of CDs. The first CD_1 was hosed from the start and the second set scratched without any undue mishandling. I am a hard kore gamer with late model rigs for gaming. Readers of the Australian gaming magazine PCPowerPlay will know me as I am a freelancer for Next Media and I write about 10,000 words a month for that magazine alone. I am no n00b let alone an idiot. Don't think me so simple.

Don't treat us gamers like idiots because my reviews of Ubisoft games will come with dire warnings, especially the one protected with Tages. Installing 'special' drivers just to get the CD to talk to the rest of the system is nonsense; next thing we know, you'll want us all to pay annual fees for dongles and game development will collapse through lack of sales. Get real guys. These discs aren't even DCs any more. They are so far from the Philips coloured book standards it's not funny. You spend a lot of money on copy protection which only defeats a casual read. Glass master pirates are in business the next day - is it worth it? C'mon, cough up; how much would a game cost without the protection? id don't do it, neither should you.
If games were AUD$50, I'd be buying two instead of one every month. Sadly PoP:SoT has to go on the shelf for our family, since there's no point changing it for Rugby League as it's protected with the same version as PoP.

XyZspineZyX
12-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Game CD#2 (POP_INSTALL) is protected by SafeDisc v-3.15.10. It is a dog of a protection and I have found that the two CDs are prone to damage, easily. Unlike Tages or SecuROM it doesn't yet install proprietary drivers but it is doing something to screw with my system. The protection is a dog because it is dicking me around. I am sick and tired of the "Wrong Volume" messages, the emulation software conflict messages and the "insert correct CD-ROM" dialogue even though I have the original CDs. Yes, I use Alcohol 120%, CloneCD and other backup software but I buy my games and this one is for my 13 yo daughter. Fortunately, Call of Duty with SafeDisc v-3.10.020 doesn't interfere in any way with game play. Please don't let this turn into the fiasco that afflicted Neverwinter Nights where anyone with a LITEON burner was asked to disconnect the drive for game play! Eventually, the SecuROM copy protection was patched out because SecuROM and Bioware couldn't get all their goats in one paddock.

Under the 'Fair Trading Act' in all Australian States and Territories, it is illegal to pursue "Forced Trading" or in this case, the opposite of Forced Trading. It's like saying that if you drink Pepsi, I'll refuse to let you use, buy or sell Coke. It's not on. Just because I have one program installed doesn't mean you can't refuse to let my legally licenced software run as advertised.

Through the goodwill of my retailer, I am now on my third original set of CDs. The first CD_1 was hosed from the start and the second set scratched without any undue mishandling. I am a hard kore gamer with late model rigs for gaming. Readers of the Australian gaming magazine PCPowerPlay will know me as I am a freelancer for Next Media and I write about 10,000 words a month for that magazine alone. I am no n00b let alone an idiot. Don't think me so simple.

Don't treat us gamers like idiots because my reviews of Ubisoft games will come with dire warnings, especially the one protected with Tages. Installing 'special' drivers just to get the CD to talk to the rest of the system is nonsense; next thing we know, you'll want us all to pay annual fees for dongles and game development will collapse through lack of sales. Get real guys. These discs aren't even DCs any more. They are so far from the Philips coloured book standards it's not funny. You spend a lot of money on copy protection which only defeats a casual read. Glass master pirates are in business the next day - is it worth it? C'mon, cough up; how much would a game cost without the protection? id don't do it, neither should you.
If games were AUD$50, I'd be buying two instead of one every month. Sadly PoP:SoT has to go on the shelf for our family, since there's no point changing it for Rugby League as it's protected with the same version as PoP.

XyZspineZyX
12-25-2003, 01:00 PM
Sorry, forgot to quote a relevant piece of legislation

Fair Trading Act 1987 (NSW)

s 43(2)(b)

43 Unconscionable conduct

(TPA s 52A)

There's a Federal Ruling but I'm too tired to look it up, it is Xmas day afterall http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I have contacted the ACCC, dunno what good it will do but if everyone who was affected contacted their appropriate statutory body, we'd have no problem.