PDA

View Full Version : Syndicate's Ambient Music

Shahkulu101
11-18-2015, 08:15 PM
So Syndicate brought ambient music back - sort of. It plays infrequently on rooftops for very short amounts of time, presumably because the sound designers so desperately want us to hear the "sounds of the world" (The Witcher 3 has constant ambient music btw, and you can hear the lively sounds of the world just fine) or because they want spite the fans who consider it integral to the series. "Yeahhhh...give them a little ambient music just to tease them muhahahahaha!" The last assumption was a joke, btw... but what if it's true

(Seriously just bloody put it in every game and have it play in the open world all the time Godzio damn it!)

Anyhooo, that's not the point of this thread, I want to give my opinion on the ambient music because my ego is so inflated I feel you need to know, and am interested to hear other peoples thoughts regarding it. In general, I quite like it, it's different to what we've had in the past, but the music is slow and solemnly beautiful, it's more calming nature contrasts well with the soundtrack overall which features some (delightfully) bombastic tracks. The instrumental music is some of my favourite in the series and I love listening to it, but I stress instrumental for a reason. Almost all of them feel marred by the overbearing vocals that begin about halfway through each song, interrupting the gorgeous music and taking me out of my jam zone - like someone coming up and spurting tomato sauce on a slice of delicious birthday cake I'm trying to savour. So I really wish either the vocals were more subtle, or not there at all. Despite that, because of the quality of the music itself, I'd say the ambient music is pretty damn good, some moments of certain tracks are up there with my favourites in the series.

Here's a playlist of all the ambient tracks (I think, let me know if I've missed some) if you need it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfr3BDPO9pRlMvk_G8Zqe55licgDVAOsM

And I've embedded my personal favourite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS9dpeHuR84&list=PLfr3BDPO9pRlMvk_G8Zqe55licgDVAOsM&index=4
0:28 <3

EDIT: Oh God I've put an apostrophe where it wasn't needed in the title can a MOD please fix this grave mistake.

I-Like-Pie45
11-18-2015, 08:42 PM
ambient music is unnecessary

music doesn't play for you in the real world when you're walking around, so why should it do so for you in a video game

Shahkulu101
11-18-2015, 08:53 PM

music doesn't play for you in the real world when you're walking around, so why should it do so for you in a video game

Because video games aren't the real world, some games use music to heighten the tension during certain moments - maybe it's an action scene, an escape scene or what have you. Point being, they use music to add something to the experience, enhance it. With ambient music its no different, tracks play to add something - atmosphere - to the feeling of freely exploring the world.

Should there be no epic music booming in the background when Nathan Drake is shooting guys on top of a moving train whilst a helicopter is trying to blow him up because "music doesn't play for you in the real world"?

I thought not, Mr Bear. Now sit down and eat your salmon.

cawatrooper9
11-18-2015, 09:05 PM

I agree, to an extent. Movies have soundtracks and scores too, though- non diegetic sound.

Whether or not it's necessary for the games- well, I think it's the developer's artistic decision- and while I appreciate that we as fans are passionate about the games, I think this is an issue people are far too hung up on.

That being said, I liked what Syndicate had to offer- even (nay, especially) the vocal sections.

Shahkulu101
11-18-2015, 09:28 PM
I agree, to an extent. Movies have soundtracks and scores too, though- non diegetic sound.

Whether or not it's necessary for the games- well, I think it's the developer's artistic decision- and while I appreciate that we as fans are passionate about the games, I think this is an issue people are far too hung up on.

That being said, I liked what Syndicate had to offer- even (nay, especially) the vocal sections.

I wouldn't be hung up on it, if ambient music wasn't so bloody good every time it's in the games. You might be right, that we're blowing it out of proportion, but hey who's anybody to say how important an element of the game should be to someone. Everybody's different.

And the AC games are unique in how much the ambient music adds to the games, I'd say, or there wouldn't be a lot of people that love it and clamour for it to be featured in every game. I'd say AC2 might have been so highly-rated largely because of how beautifully atmospheric its ambient music is. There's no way to definitely prove that, but for me at least, ambient music can significantly affect the 'feel' of the game despite it's subtlety.

I-Like-Pie45
11-18-2015, 10:50 PM
ambient music hurts immersion, it ruined naughty dog games as well as red dead redemption as well as the latest gta game - in old gta games the music only played where it made sense like in clubs and cars but now its playing in missions which hurts immersion

Voidrek
11-19-2015, 12:26 AM
I think it depends on the person whether it hurts immersion. A great song can actually help me get immersed in a game.

The thing with AC games is that there is so much generic side content to grind through to get all the collectibles that I would have thought some nice music would help break the monotony. Just my point of view, though. Others may disagree, which is fine.

Also, that song that the OP posted was really nice, in my opinion. But yeah, it only plays when you are on top of a building.

thewhitestig
11-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Ambient music was one of the highlights for me in AC II. It really made you soak the atmosphere of 15th/16th century Florence and Venice. I enjoy ambient music very much, especially when done right. Honestly, when I first heard ambient music in Syndicate it immediately reminded me of AC II, and it felt good, really good.

cawatrooper9
11-19-2015, 03:50 PM
Having started a recent playthrough, I'll admit that ACII has some pretty darn good ambient music.

However, do any other games, really (other than possibly Syndicate?)

ACI's was okay, I guess, but very forgettable.

ACB's, in my opinion, was awful. I hated the heavy handed organ music.

ACR's was actually pretty decent, I suppose.

ACIII/ACL/ACIV/ACU/ACRo- Didn't even have any, did they?

So, I guess I just don't see how this is a staple of the series...

Shahkulu101
11-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Having started a recent playthrough, I'll admit that ACII has some pretty darn good ambient music.

However, do any other games, really (other than possibly Syndicate?)

ACI's was okay, I guess, but very forgettable.

ACB's, in my opinion, was awful. I hated the heavy handed organ music.

ACR's was actually pretty decent, I suppose.

ACIII/ACL/ACIV/ACU/ACRo- Didn't even have any, did they?

So, I guess I just don't see how this is a staple of the series...

ACB didn't have my favourite but I still really liked it.
ACR's I absolutely loved, captures the city perfectly.
AC4 did have ambient music after 3 chose not to - again I enjoyed it - especially the Havana tracks.
ACU didn't, unfortunately.
Rogue did, it was pretty nice, but quite forgettable.

So the majority do have it, there are only a few exceptions. And I guess it's seen as a staple, because all the early game had it - and a lot of what they do is considered the heart of the series.

cawatrooper9
11-19-2015, 06:08 PM
ACB didn't have my favourite but I still really liked it.
ACR's I absolutely loved, captures the city perfectly.
AC4 did have ambient music after 3 chose not to - again I enjoyed it - especially the Havana tracks.
ACU didn't, unfortunately.
Rogue did, it was pretty nice, but quite forgettable.

So the majority do have it, there are only a few exceptions. And I guess it's seen as a staple, because all the early game had it - and a lot of what they do is considered the heart of the series.

Ah, I was wondering about ACIV. For some reason, I thought it had it, but I doubted myself.

ace3001
11-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Came here just to rant about this.

Initially, I thought there was no ambient music at all, which is bad enough. But then I heard some really nice music while on top of St Paul's Cathedral and the Bank of England. What a waste of some great music.

I don't know how people even defend this, saying it's "unnecessary". Music was a huge factor that made the earlier Assassin's Creed games such a pleasure to play. And the worst part here is that they actually spent money/resources to get music for the game, and then they put it up in a way that it's rarely heard. Sad. The devs have been dropping the ball on music since AC3.

RzaRecta357
11-24-2015, 10:46 PM
Music has always been a big part of AC. I'm glad they added it back for the most part. Some of the big set piece music was great.

CalgaryJay
11-25-2015, 07:32 PM
ambient music hurts immersion, it ruined red dead redemption as well as the latest gta game - in old gta games the music only played where it made sense like in clubs and cars but now its playing in missions which hurts immersion

Seriously?? It's all subjective of course, but I couldn't disagree more. I thought RDR had the perfect amount of ambient music to enhance the setting. It was only here & there so it wasn't intrusive, and when free roaming, it turns off completely if you're on foot. I loved it.

I like the ambient music in AC. Whenever a new AC comes out and I watch the bigger name gaming reviews, it feels like every year when complimenting the scenery, reviewers continually mention how the environment has more of a "dreamlike" vibe to it (as opposed to reality) they enjoy. Ambient music only helps to enhance this dreamlike setting. Ubi's said in the past they go for more of a "postcard/nostalgic" version of these historical cities as opposed to complete reality anyway, so I don't think the need to "not play music because real life doesn't have an ambient score" should matter. Just my opinion, but I think ambient music is as much a part of the AC series as climbing and stealth. It enhances the beauty of the setting, and helps breathe life into this dreamlike environment for me.

As for Syndicate's ambient score itself, it's good, not great. After Unity, I was just happy - and kind of surprised - to see it return at all. The choices are nice, but it seems more generic scores to me, rather than one Jesper Kyd made specifically to suit that environment. He pretty much spoiled me going forward now, it's a pretty tall order to compete with him regarding composing an AC ambient score.

WendysBrioche
12-10-2015, 04:32 AM

I'm sorry but no. Nonononononono. Don't ruin my games by getting rid of the music and making it totally boring. That's so lame my freind sorry but no. Maybe they can make the music so it can be toggled off but if Ubisoft ever made an Assassin's Creed game without nice music I'd be furious. Like seriously wouild ask for my money back that's so lame. Music is esssential to the series, and is one of the things that makes this series great.

ambient music hurts immersion, it ruined naughty dog games as well as red dead redemption as well as the latest gta game - in old gta games the music only played where it made sense like in clubs and cars but now its playing in missions which hurts immersion

Omg you'd ruin Red Dead by taking out some of the greatest video game soundtrack ever recorded? I'm sorry but this really gets under my skin. You have to be a troll.

........................As for what I think, honestly I haven't grabbed the game yet. I prioritized battlefront and fallout over it, but I've watched gameplay and the music I've heard so far is absolutely amazing. Maybe even better than Unity. I decided I wasn't going to get the game cause I didn't like the protagonists but hearing the music alone swayed my mind and I might pick it up sometime next year. It was fantastic.

SixKeys
12-10-2015, 11:22 PM
Omg you'd ruin Red Dead by taking out some of the greatest video game soundtrack ever recorded? I'm sorry but this really gets under my skin. You have to be a troll.

I take it you don't come here often? :p

I-Like-Pie45
12-10-2015, 11:31 PM
Troll is a trite one-syllable word used to slander the great sound of silence.

Ureh
12-11-2015, 12:11 AM
Sweet, another thing to look forward to when ACS arrives.Oh I might try playing them in an endless loop, through my headphones, when I'm freeroaming. Maybe it'll fit...

ImaginaryRuins
12-11-2015, 04:15 PM
As one who played the piano, I have to say I really focus on ambient music. Music helps bring out the atmosphere the developers want us to feel.

My favourite soundtrack is Hats and Swords. It really brings out that vibrance in 1868 London, and that waltz element symbolizes that kind of English high-society elegance.

Jarek23
12-26-2015, 07:22 PM
I usually make one of these threads, but I'll just bump this one instead.

Again, ubisoft fails to deliver. It's so boring running around London because open world games NEED ambient music, not just situational/combat music.

It's pretty frustrating, and what's unfortunate is that from what I heard so far, Austin Wintory did a really good job, but it's heard so rarely that instead I turn the music off and load up spotify and listen to other music from previous games or music that suits this game and it's setting like the Sherlock Holmes soundtrack by Zimmer. This isn't a good solution though, because the music isn't dynamic, and I don't get to enjoy Wintorys work.

C'mon ubi...