PDA

View Full Version : What is the next graphical leap Ubisoft should do for AC?

flavorcountry19
11-17-2015, 09:27 AM
I don't mean just like a giant overhaul but like a small detail that they seem to lack in their games? We already know they can create awesome textures on walls or clothing or floors! And they have mastered(so far) water physics! But what else could they add that just makes it that much sweeter?

cawatrooper9
11-17-2015, 03:16 PM
I'd like to see better draw distances. Unity's were really bad, in my opinion- Syndicates weren't as noticeably bad, but I can't help but wonder if they just mastered some smoke and mirror tricks to hide it.

LoyalACFan
11-17-2015, 06:07 PM
I'd rather they focused on making a good game rather than a pretty one. You'll notice that both games that were huge leaps forward graphically (AC3 and Unity) were unpolished, unfinished messes. I'd rather have good graphics and a working game versus AMAZING graphics and a broken game.

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2015, 07:04 PM
The obvious answer is weather. AC3 introduced a wonderful weather system that could have been improved and bettered but they later decided against it. It gets absurd when they decide to show Paris and London with bright colours and sunshine. Not that these cities don't have that but they have unique weather patterns and cold winters. Like it's absurd when the run-up to the trial of Louis XVI happens in bright sunshine. Louis XVI got whacked in January 1793, the missions which parallel the trial -- Marie Levesque and Pelettier assassination should be snow-laden since this is Winter in Paris. Especially since Parisians experienced cold winters in this period (one of the causes for the famine).

Syndicate is set in the course of a year so most of the game probably takes place during the first quarter, around Spring and Summer but even then there should be rain and gray skies more often then what we see in the game. I guess they are saving the London fog and weather for the Jack the Ripper DLC (which did take place between September-November 1888).

Generally, I'd like greater immersion in background details. What I would like is not so much another leap so much as coherence and cohesiveness. Put together all the stuff that AC did in earlier games in one whole.

I-Like-Pie45
11-17-2015, 07:10 PM
I love the attention of detail given to the cement in Naughty Dog games, I want the cement in Assassin's Creed to look just as good!

cawatrooper9
11-17-2015, 07:52 PM
The obvious answer is weather. AC3 introduced a wonderful weather system that could have been improved and bettered but they later decided against it. It gets absurd when they decide to show Paris and London with bright colours and sunshine. Not that these cities don't have that but they have unique weather patterns and cold winters. Like it's absurd when the run-up to the trial of Louis XVI happens in bright sunshine. Louis XVI got whacked in January 1793, the missions which parallel the trial -- Marie Levesque and Pelettier assassination should be snow-laden since this is Winter in Paris. Especially since Parisians experienced cold winters in this period (one of the causes for the famine).

Syndicate is set in the course of a year so most of the game probably takes place during the first quarter, around Spring and Summer but even then there should be rain and gray skies more often then what we see in the game. I guess they are saving the London fog and weather for the Jack the Ripper DLC (which did take place between September-November 1888).

Generally, I'd like greater immersion in background details. What I would like is not so much another leap so much as coherence and cohesiveness. Put together all the stuff that AC did in earlier games in one whole.

Personally, I think this might just be a case of Ubisoft opting for "fun" rather than accuracy. That's not to say that gray. rainy games can't be fun, but consider this: Around 2010-2012ish, one of the huge criticisms of games was that they were too grey. Just look at games from back then- the Call of Dutys, gears of wars... heck even AC3, as you've mentioned, was often a darker, greyer game.

Personally, I like variety, but I can see how Ubisoft might want to try to work against this trend, and create brighter environments.

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2015, 08:23 PM
Personally, I think this might just be a case of Ubisoft opting for "fun" rather than accuracy. That's not to say that gray. rainy games can't be fun, but consider this: Around 2010-2012ish, one of the huge criticisms of games was that they were too grey. Just look at games from back then- the Call of Dutys, gears of wars... heck even AC3, as you've mentioned, was often a darker, greyer game.

Personally, I like variety, but I can see how Ubisoft might want to try to work against this trend, and create brighter environments.

Well AC1's Acre was very gray, as was Masyaf. The only brightly coloured area was the Rich District of Damascus and the greenier parts of the Kingdom.

And AC3 is actually not very gray. Blue and several shades of it are the dominant colours. It's mostly blues, greens, browns, whites -- a proper Puritan palette. The outfits are properly ugly (with the exception of Haytham, posh English snob that he is) and not very impressive because this was a time when fashions, cut from Europe, stagnated in colonial America, at least among the poorer settlers.

The thing is gray is a perfectly legitimate colour to use and, pardon the pun...there are many shades of gray or any other colour for that matter. It's how you use it. The most colourful city in AC is Istanbul in Revelations where you had really rich and deep shades of colour and great variety across the city.

cawatrooper9
11-17-2015, 08:28 PM
Well AC1's Acre was very gray, as was Masyaf. The only brightly coloured area was the Rich District of Damascus and the greenier parts of the Kingdom.

And AC3 is actually not very gray. Blue and several shades of it are the dominant colours. It's mostly blues, greens, browns, whites -- a proper Puritan palette. The outfits are properly ugly (with the exception of Haytham, posh English snob that he is) and not very impressive because this was a time when fashions, cut from Europe, stagnated in colonial America, at least among the poorer settlers.

The thing is gray is a perfectly legitimate colour to use and, pardon the pun...there are many shades of gray or any other colour for that matter. It's how you use it. The most colourful city in AC is Istanbul in Revelations where you had really rich and deep shades of colour and great variety across the city.

Well sure, and I hope I made it clear that I personally have no problem with grey being used as a color. Just this past weekend, my fiance and I joked about how most of our clothes are grey.

I was just pointing out how- and perhaps I should've used this word the first time, for clarification- "monochromatic" color pallets have been criticized in games recently, and Ubisoft may be trying to avoid that.

RVSage
11-17-2015, 08:29 PM
i would say get consoles up to 1080p, then I would say add something like tress fx for better hair. That would be a good graphical achievement for the next game at least

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Well sure, and I hope I made it clear that I personally have no problem with grey being used as a color. Just this past weekend, my fiance and I joked about how most of our clothes are grey.

I was just pointing out how- and perhaps I should've used this word the first time, for clarification- "monochromatic" color pallets have been criticized in games recently, and Ubisoft may be trying to avoid that.

I get that...the whole Real is Brown thing...but the thing is Ubisoft's fixation with Havana colours is equally monochromatic. Like Rogue's New York is ridiculous and an eyesore, why pretty up a city that is supposed to be ugly and lifeless. This is just childish in terms of design principle. Likewise, Havana London in Syndicate.

The other wasted opportunity in terms of realism is that Paris and London are two cities which had street-lighting at night. Paris became the first city to achieve that...during 1793. They had full street-lighting. London of course is illuminated by the 1860s. So why not make the nights really dark, make you navigate at night by street-light torches and windows. This would also be a lot more stealthier of course.

cawatrooper9
11-17-2015, 09:04 PM
I get that...the whole Real is Brown thing...but the thing is Ubisoft's fixation with Havana colours is equally monochromatic. Like Rogue's New York is ridiculous and an eyesore, why pretty up a city that is supposed to be ugly and lifeless. This is just childish in terms of design principle. Likewise, Havana London in Syndicate.

The other wasted opportunity in terms of realism is that Paris and London are two cities which had street-lighting at night. Paris became the first city to achieve that...during 1793. They had full street-lighting. London of course is illuminated by the 1860s. So why not make the nights really dark, make you navigate at night by street-light torches and windows. This would also be a lot more stealthier of course.

Ugh, Rogue New York is so silly looking... All the reds and browns and yellows- they must be getting ready for the first ever Macy's Day Parade.

Street lighting would've been cool. I can see how it wasn't included in Paris- one of those things that isn't in fact anachronistic, but feels anachronistic- but it absolutely should've been more prevalent in London. If they want to tout it as a modern Assassins Creed, I'd like to have seen that.

m4r-k7
11-17-2015, 09:25 PM
This isn't really a graphical leap, but more of a technological leap(?) but I have always wanted some sort of obstacle course in the white room loading screens just to test your parkour or something. Would be a really nice touch. I mean you can run around during the loading, it would be cool if they just added some animus looking blocks that you can climb on / leap over etc.

In terms of graphics, they need to bring back Black Flags outstanding weather affects and they need to improve AI graphics as well.

SOLIDSOUTHCENTRA
11-18-2015, 08:59 PM
Well Unity was a very pretty game in fact it is 1 of the games that really delivered as far as next gen graphics,

cawatrooper9
11-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Well Unity was a very pretty game in fact it is 1 of the games that really delivered as far as next gen graphics,

Yeah, it's definitely one of them. Syndicate was the other... :p

LoyalACFan
11-19-2015, 04:01 AM
Yeah, it's definitely one of them. Syndicate was the other... :p

Witcher 3 friend :p

The Order 1886 obviously has amazing graphics, but it's also super freaking linear, and honestly kind of a crap game.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-19-2015, 06:35 AM
id like for them to make a protagonist that looks like connor and finish his damn story :)

harsab
11-19-2015, 11:40 AM
If we're talking purely graphics, there is not one game that you can compare with Syndicate or Unity. Unity was incredibly gorgeous no game even compares imo.

m4r-k7
11-19-2015, 02:21 PM
The Order 1886 obviously has amazing graphics, but it's also super freaking linear, and honestly kind of a crap game.

Yep, despite its linearity, I have never seen a game as good looking as The Order 1886. It is basically CGI.

Sushiglutton
11-19-2015, 10:52 PM
I think Unity was kind of a peak from a pure visual standpoint and we won't see anything significantly better until next gen. That said I would love if they took another shot at a rural area like the Frontier. Think they could do much better foliage (the forest moon of Endor in Battlefront is spectacular) and weather effects. Perhaps wind?

LoyalACFan
11-19-2015, 11:31 PM
I think Unity was kind of a peak from a pure visual standpoint and we won't see anything significantly better until next gen. That said I would love if they took another shot at a rural area like the Frontier. Think they could do much better foliage (the forest moon of Endor in Battlefront is spectacular) and weather effects. Perhaps wind?

Wind is an amazing touch in The Witcher 3, even though it's more fanciful and unrealistic-looking. I'd like to see a more natural environment again too, but they'd really need to flesh it out and add more variation beyond just perfectly horizontal tree branches.

Hell, just watch the AC3 target render video again and make that game for PS4/XB1 *__*

Meowrynn
11-20-2015, 03:17 AM
fix the animation of horses first

STDlyMcStudpants
11-22-2015, 04:16 AM

We went from Prince of Persia Two Thrones to Assassin's Creed 1 in 2 years....
We couldn't possibly get a better looking game than Assassin's Creed 1.....
Fast forward to Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Creed IV and The Last of Us

Assassin's Creed 1 released 1 year after PS3 Launch
Assassin's Creed Unity released 1 year after PS4 Launch
We're still in the Red Spine days of PS3!!!!

It's hard to imagine a game looking better,
But it was just as hard to imagine games looking better than they did 10 years ago too!

Assuming developers could master a system in only a few years is silly
Even the Uncharted 1 to uncharted 3 jump was significant from naughty dog

Witcher 3 is proof more can be done...
Sure AC Unity had better graphics. but Witcher 3 was prettier, did more with the environment and was 5 times the size...

cawatrooper9
11-23-2015, 06:57 PM
It's hard to imagine a game looking better,
But it was just as hard to imagine games looking better than they did 10 years ago too!

I agree with this so much.

I remember when the Return of the King movie game came out. Some promotional materials around it focused on showing stills from the movie, and comparative stills from the game. The add challenged viewers to see which was which- and as a kid, I legitimately had a tough time with it, because the graphics were pretty good for its time.

I recently played that game. The graphics are absolutely terrible now.

VestigialLlama4
11-23-2015, 07:21 PM
I agree with this so much.

I remember when the Return of the King movie game came out. Some promotional materials around it focused on showing stills from the movie, and comparative stills from the game. The add challenged viewers to see which was which- and as a kid, I legitimately had a tough time with it, because the graphics were pretty good for its time.

I recently played that game. The graphics are absolutely terrible now.

I really liked that game too when it came out. The EA GAMES one. And I couldn't tell which was which.

Yeah, it was a game that was not meant to be one for the ages but Return of the King was actually one of the better licensed titles at the time, just that post-Arkham Asylum that's just good enough anymore.

D.I.D.
11-23-2015, 08:27 PM
I don't know if it's possible to do it, but rather than randomising head/body models, I'd like to see a huge array of hairstyles, hats, nose, jowls, eyebrows etc and have the system compose people from an enormous palette.

It's an obvious idea though, so they must have thought of it and rejected it. Maybe it can't be done with the way the crowd systems work, anyway.

Remember you watched this game on YouTube. When you play it, there's actually tons of rain and grey weather.

It's a real shame you did that, because even if you play it now you'll never be able to experience the game unfolding, not knowing what was coming next. It's a really good one.

cawatrooper9
11-23-2015, 10:15 PM
I don't know if it's possible to do it, but rather than randomising head/body models, I'd like to see a huge array of hairstyles, hats, nose, jowls, eyebrows etc and have the system compose people from an enormous palette.

It's an obvious idea though, so they must have thought of it and rejected it. Maybe it can't be done with the way the crowd systems work, anyway.

Remember you watched this game on YouTube. When you play it, there's actually tons of rain and grey weather.

It's a real shame you did that, because even if you play it now you'll never be able to experience the game unfolding, not knowing what was coming next. It's a really good one.

Wait, VL4 hasn't played it?

VestigialLlama4
11-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Wait, VL4 hasn't played it?

I don't own a PS4 on account of the fact that I am semi-poor. I bought the Xbox 360 on the cheap four years back (2011--year of Revelations). I play newer games on my friend's PS4 which means I don't play many and I wait in line, freeloader that I am.

So yes I didn't play Syndicate on launch and I watched the YouTube videos. I only started playing it fully from last week. I am playing it as slowly as possible because I am trying to avoid using the Ropelauncher and Carriage for traversal as and when possible. To me the Ropelauncher evokes a period-appropriate Luddite revulsion.

Only briefly and not in any relevant shape. It's just atmospheric quirk rather than an actual gameplay element. AC3 had snow as an interactive experience. Black Flag had hurricanes that could swallow you. Most of the story missions take place in bright sunshine or in interiors.

Two things, "not knowing what's coming next" is not an interesting or relevant reason to play a game or any story. A good story will always be good and work just the same even if you know the twist.

The main point: with select exceptions I always watch games on YouTube on launch before buying them. I did that with Black Flag, which I didn't buy at launch, I saw it on YouTube and still bought and played and replayed it many times. The reason I didn't buy Black Flag at launch was that I didn't like the pirate concept and was skeptical of the whole thing and you know games are expensive, so I have to see if something is worth my time before I buy it. Makes sense don't it? AC3, Arkham City, Bioshock Infinite are examples of games I bought on launch. And let me tell you, Bioshock Infinite was an example of a game that made me realize that buying a game for its story and twist was worthless. I went into it all new and after finishing that I thought it was pretty great, then I played it again and the next day I sold it off and don't miss a thing because there was nothing in the game outside the story and twist.

A good game will always withstand marketing hype and curiosity. A bad game is Assassin's Creed Unity.

cawatrooper9
11-23-2015, 11:14 PM
I don't own a PS4 on account of the fact that I am semi-poor. I bought the Xbox 360 on the cheap four years back (2011--year of Revelations). I play newer games on my friend's PS4 which means I don't play many and I wait in line, freeloader that I am.

Ah, I see. Sorry man, I'd let you use my machine if you were in the area (but I'm sure you're not, I live in a very small town).

STDlyMcStudpants
11-24-2015, 03:14 AM
i think the next step is interactive weather...
bringing the environment to life
I think the Witcher 3 did a great job with this with the Sun and wind...
Mad Max did a great job with storms.. (after a while they felt gimicky.. but the first few times they were exciting! - needs work and balance)
Im aware Black Flag had storms too.. but they felt part of the game rather than part of the world...
Much less predictable in mad max.. much less frequent...
something like that could be cool
a random storm that affects your speed, making an escape more difficult.. could really add into making our experience our own again like the original AC