PDA

View Full Version : Bring back scabbards!

waraidako
11-17-2015, 02:08 AM
If the next AC game is going to be another one set in the age of swords, please bring back scabbards. Their abscence since pretty much AC1 is one of the most disappointing things about the franchise for me. A lot of people would likely look at this as a minor, irrelevant addition to the game. However, for immersion it is absolutely necessary. As important as it is for your pistol to have a holster, as important as it is for the Jackdaw to have sails, as important is it for a sword to have a scabbard. Let me go through some of the reasons why.

Let's start with safety. Having a sharp sword just dangling from your hip by a leather strap is super dangerous. Swinging freely with a sharp edge, when your leg is moving up and down, back and forth, eventually it will start cutting your pants, and your leg, and you'll likely stab yourself in the leg and/or foot as well. This is not just a personal safety problem however, it's a public safety problem as well, as brushing past people in the streets, you would inevitably cut their legs as well. Jumping around doing parkour with a sharp sword flimsily stuck to your side damn near guarantees some nasty accidents.

But even if we move away from the damage you can cause to yourself and others, there's also the matter of the sword itself. First, a short history lesson. Contrary to popular belief, swords aren't simple weapons. A lot of technology is poured into making one, from the way it's forged to the way it's shaped. The problem with swords is that hardness, or stiffness, and brittleness go hand in hand. Glass for instance, is very hard, and very brittle. It will hold an edge, but it will shatter under the slightest pressure. Rubber on the other hand is not hard at all, and thus can't hold an edge worth a damn. So if you make a sword very hard and stiff, it will also be very brittle, and snap under pressure. That is why swords are made to be flexible. But you still need a sharp edge, so high carbon steel is used. The problem with this is that high carbon steel really really wants to mix with oxygen, and when that happens, the sword rusts. To protect against this, swords require periodic maintenance, this comes in form of wiping the sword down, and coating it with a protective layer of oil, to prevent the steel from being in contact with the oxygen in the air. In addition, the sword is kept in a scabbard to protect the oil from drying out.

Considering the way you move around in AC games, without a scabbard the sword would be rendered useless almost instantly. This wouldn't really be a problem, as you would lose it way before that point due to the sharp edges cutting through your flimsy belt loop every time you draw and sheathe it, and constantly as the blade rubs against the leather belt when you're running around. It would take 10 minutes for the sword to just cut through the belt and fall to the ground. Not a fantastic situation for an assassin. But let's assume for a moment that you managed to hold on to your blade. Running around a city like for example Paris, the sword would bump into not only people, but objects. Tables, chairs, window sills, the faces of statues you're climbing on, ledges, steel fences and railing, stone benches, the ground, mud and dirt you roll and slide through, water you swim through, just a ton of stuff smacking against your sword. All of these things would chip the edge of your blade, blunt it, bend it, and cause it to rust. It wouldn't take long before you might as well throw it away and pick up a stick, since that would be a more useful weapon.

And this is why scabbards matter. Because that is an insanely long laundry list of things that require an added level of suspension of disbelief. A list that could be completely denied by simply adding scabbards. Oftentimes small things go a long way towards building immersion. Like a voice actor making an effort to distort his voice a bit to avoid having two NPCs sounding the same. Ambient bird noises in a forest. Rain that doesn't clip through roofs on stalls and such. And for a game that prides itself on historical accuracy when it comes to the settings of the games, putting in the extra effort required to add scabbards would go a long way for a lot of us. Because they are an important part of the sword. Even Conan knows this. After all, what is the first thing he does when he finds his sword? He kills a bunch of wolves with it, and makes a scabbard out of them! :D

I-Like-Pie45
11-17-2015, 02:12 AM
Scabbards don't fit the aesthetic of the Assassin's Creed universe.

flavorcountry19
11-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Could have like a shorter sword scabbard ala sauske from naruto where it is strapped to his lower back! So it's not in the way of running or slicing people and can still have it contained!

and this is in no way wanting to to be in Asia or something!

Meowrynn
11-17-2015, 09:54 AM
Its hard to implement scabbards in a game. If you play eso, skyrim and other rpg games like dragon age they don't even have scabbards. bethesda even acknowledge it that its having difficulty to create scabbard for its game. the only recent game that I believe have scabbards is the witcher 3. IMO its not really important 'coz we're on the path to modern age already..

flavorcountry19
11-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Its hard to implement scabbards in a game. If you play eso, skyrim and other rpg games like dragon age they don't even have scabbards. bethesda even acknowledge it that its having difficulty to create scabbard for its game. the only recent game that I believe have scabbards is the witcher 3. IMO its not really important 'coz we're on the path to modern age already..

True but a LOT of people don't want a modern assassins creed and want to it to jump back in time again! And also shadows of mordor did scabbards amazingly!

Farlander1991
11-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Yes, but Shadow of Mordor has only one sword. AC1, you might have noticed, has a small amount of weapons with no customization.

Not only is it really time consuming to make scabbards for every sword, in case of games like AC2 where you can pick up and holster picked up weapons, there has to be a whole scabbard logic designed and written for it. What if you had a sword, it was thrown away and you pick up a mace? Stuff like that.

cawatrooper9
11-17-2015, 03:14 PM
I mean, it's a cool thought, and I think people here are being a little too critical of it...

But on the list of improvements that this series needs, this is nowhere near the top.

I-Like-Pie45
11-17-2015, 10:55 PM
you also should keep in mind that scabbards were a one-time promotional deal done by Ubisoft and it wouldn't be fair for the people who brought AC1 and got the scabbards for other people to buy later AC games to get scabbards in them as well

LoyalACFan
11-19-2015, 11:53 PM
Yes, but Shadow of Mordor has only one sword. AC1, you might have noticed, has a small amount of weapons with no customization.

Not only is it really time consuming to make scabbards for every sword, in case of games like AC2 where you can pick up and holster picked up weapons, there has to be a whole scabbard logic designed and written for it. What if you had a sword, it was thrown away and you pick up a mace? Stuff like that.

I think Shadow of Mordor's sword/scabbard changed pretty dramatically over the course of the game with upgrades though, right? Even though it was still technically supposed to be the same sword (can't remember its name). Plus someone already mentioned TW3, which has hundreds of swords and a sheath that'll fit each one (I think certain sheathes are used for multiple different swords but still, the point stands) which appears on your character model automatically once you leave the character screen.

You're right about Ezio's games where you can throw/exchange weapons on the fly, but they're not doing that anymore; you just equip your weapon through a pause screen (basically exactly like the Witcher). IMO they should be going back to the AC1 formula where you have three (or two, or four, doesn't matter) specific weapon types readily available and each has its own distinct strengths and weaknesses. I liked that a whole lot better than the "I only have one weapon but a zillion quickfire tools" setup. So yeah, I think they should invest the time to make a few different sheath variations like in AC1, especially if they go back further in time when weapons were huge and clunky.

I-Like-Pie45
11-20-2015, 12:54 AM
Also, you have to take into consideration that weapon scabbards are not very visually pleasing and that by including components that involve sliding oversized weapons into slots, Ubi might put out the wrong message

waraidako
11-21-2015, 03:16 AM

Skyrim did have scabbards for all swords though. And there's nothing saying we have to keep moving forwards in time towards modern day. I don't recall if it was in Black Flag or Unity, but in one of the games you could find an ingame note talking about the Helix Entertainment System, and how the developers for that don't want to go into modern day, because the change would be too drastic, having to write in cars and stuff, and change the entire way the game works. It's meant to be Ubisoft's sort of tongue in cheek, breaking the fourth wall comment, but I think there's a grain of truth to it.

In addition, there are still a ton of sort of strictly sword and spear type of settings they haven't done yet, that people have been asking for since the beginning. Japan for instance. They could also do another China one that isn't terrible like the one they already made. We have Egypt as well, and Persia. People also want vikings, but I'm not sure how well that would work from a parkour perspective. They would have to take some serious liberties with the architecture.

you also should keep in mind that scabbards were a one-time promotional deal done by Ubisoft and it wouldn't be fair for the people who brought AC1 and got the scabbards for other people to buy later AC games to get scabbards in them as well

Also, you have to take into consideration that weapon scabbards are not very visually pleasing and that by including components that involve sliding oversized weapons into slots, Ubi might put out the wrong message

Are you trolling? These are not serious posts, right? Please tell me you're just pretending to be this stupid.

LoyalACFan
11-21-2015, 10:53 PM
Are you trolling? These are not serious posts, right? Please tell me you're just pretending to be this stupid.

Pie is our Journeyman Troll-in-Residence.