PDA

View Full Version : The epic combat of Assassin's Creed Syndicate

ACZanius
11-16-2015, 03:27 PM
I have to say, the combat animations and moves are legit and they feel so good, now i understand when they said ACB was inspiration, i love the moves, animations and how they flow, way better than ACU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEB290TKW8

I will honestly recommend Assassin's Creed Syndicate to anyone especially the fans, story-wise the game is not a filler, modern day is better than Rogue and Unity combined. It really progresses a lot compared to what we had in past 2 games.

LoyalACFan
11-16-2015, 05:30 PM
We'll have to agree to strongly disagree here, my friend. IMO Syndicate's combat and its new animations (for both stealth and combat, actually) are ****ing unbelievably horrid. Among the worst I've ever seen in a supposedly AAA combat-heavy title. They're just SO choppy and cartoonish. I honestly don't feel the ACB influence at all; ACB had some of the smoothest and most graceful combat animations in the series (maybe they just mean Syndicate has the most brain-dead easy combat since ACB? :rolleyes:). Meanwhile, Syndicate's are all frenetic and weightless; the enemies feel like cardboard. When the Fryes snap bones, it looks and feels like they're just cracking eggshells. There's no sense of force or effort behind any of the moves. And some of them are just downright ridiculous; there's one of Evie's (I think it's a triple-kill?) where she does this 360-degree aerial cartwheel thing while holding onto an enemy's leg and it just snaps his femur in two. I mean, seriously?

ACZanius
11-16-2015, 05:42 PM
We'll have to agree to strongly disagree here, my friend. IMO Syndicate's combat and its new animations (for both stealth and combat, actually) are ****ing unbelievably horrid. Among the worst I've ever seen in a supposedly AAA combat-heavy title. They're just SO choppy and cartoonish. I honestly don't feel the ACB influence at all; ACB had some of the smoothest and most graceful combat animations in the series (maybe they just mean Syndicate has the most brain-dead easy combat since ACB? :rolleyes:). Meanwhile, Syndicate's are all frenetic and weightless; the enemies feel like cardboard. When the Fryes snap bones, it looks and feels like they're just cracking eggshells. There's no sense of force or effort behind any of the moves. And some of them are just downright ridiculous; there's one of Evie's (I think it's a triple-kill?) where she does this 360-degree aerial cartwheel thing while holding onto an enemy's leg and it just snaps his femur in two. I mean, seriously?

I feel ya bro and ACB is pinnacle of AC for me especially regarding smooth, fluid, clean and just epic combat same with animations and varieties, but from video above and my personal experience the animations strictly with open combat are very clean in Syndicate, there is no clipping in animations and they feel brutal, but in my take they did not top ACB!

Voidrek
11-16-2015, 06:08 PM
I definitely like the responsiveness of the new combat. There were times in Unity that the game wouldn't register your attacks or parries. Also, the target above your head to let you know when to roll wasn't fool proof and would lead to you getting shot from afar. That could get a little annoying. So I like that the combat seems less glitchy.

However, I feel like the actual animations are of a lesser quality when compared to Unity. I think it has something to do with the ragdolls they are using for ACS. In Unity, after a kill animation played, the ragdoll would take over and the enemies seemed to have weight to them and would crash somewhat realistically to the floor. In ACS, the enemies seem to have no weight or bone structure, so they crumble to the floor awkwardly and sometimes fly through the air in a weightless manner. A strange downgrade from Unity.

Oh, I think its pretty cool that you can push guys up against the walls and your attacks and finishers change. That's a nice addition.

Ultimately, what I would like to see in future Assassin's Creed games would be a greater variety in enemy types. If they are going to split the game up in low and high level areas, I would love for you to meet new enemy types as you get to more difficult parts of the city. Anything to keep the gameplay fresh.

But yeah, hopefully I didn't bring too much hate to what looked to be more of an appreciative thread, hah.

cawatrooper9
11-16-2015, 06:21 PM
I definitely like the responsiveness of the new combat. There were times in Unity that the game wouldn't register your attacks or parries. Also, the target above your head to let you know when to roll wasn't fool proof and would lead to you getting shot from afar. That could get a little annoying. So I like that the combat seems less glitchy.

I absolutely agree. The combat in ACU was floaty and inconsistent. Syndicate feels crisp and accurate. I almost never feel cheated when I miss a parry.

Now, in reference to the game being "graceful" or not- I hardly doubt graceful was what they were going for at all, guys (if anything, it's Unity's fencing system that tried to be graceful). Syndicate is a rough and tumble, brutal, underworld kind of combat. It (as the developers were very open about) is about combat in which fighters don't necessarily have traditional weapons, but rather have to use everything at their disposal to hurt their enemies as much as possible. So, to compare it to the grace (and ease) of combat in Brotherhood is perhaps not the best analogy, but that's by no means a slight on Syndicate- in my opinion, they still accomplished what they set out to do.

BananaBlighter
11-16-2015, 06:47 PM

Firstly I just wanna say that I don't feel the animations are choppy really, they've been seriously improved since the first reveal. Actually now that I think about it, the pistol animations are ridiculous when you compare them to something like BF.

I agree that it feels cartoonish however, though that doesn't mean it isn't AAA quality, it's just that it doesn't really suit AC. When you slash at someone with a Kukri they are often sent flying 2m back, flailing uncontrollably, and it feels like no effort was put in to such a strike.

On the other hand, I find that the multi finishers are on point and have significant weight to them in comparison. There are a few with evidently unpolished animations, none of which appeared in the video, but these exceptions don't detract from the overall satisfaction of pulling these things off. It also depends on your weapon of choice. The brawling multi finishers feel a lot more detached and less fluid. I certainly don't feel that bones break like eggshells, and I often feel myself squirming at some of those finishers.

Honestly I quite like the combat in this game, it fits the era and is a lot more satisfying than Unity's. Though it's not my favourite for two reasons:

1) There isn't enough variety. If this game was given more time I can assure you that we would've seen the rope launcher being used in combat, an opportunity sorely missed. AC3's system felt much better. Having to first block and then being given 4 different options on how to continue gave variety and kept fluidity. If only it had been done similarly for Syndicate, then we could've had proper tool counters, disarming (maybe not so much for this combat system), and then instead of throwing you could have an environmental counter that would use objects around the player, and if there were none, the ground.

2) Button mashing. This ties with enemy levelling, a mechanic I find unsuited to AC, and would much rather prefer more varied enemies, something which is severely lacking from especially Syndicate. It's ridiculous how much it takes to defeat an enemy only a few levels above yourself. I feel that I'm just sitting there (well now as a level 10 this no longer happens) crushing the 'SQUARE' button to death, with the occasional counter. Is this Ubi's way of creating challenging combat? Instead why not finally make enemies a little braver when it comes to throwing attacks?

If enemies keep bombarding you, and you have a variety of ways to counter their attacks, fights will feel fluid, varied, challenging, and not everlasting.

Farlander1991
11-16-2015, 07:21 PM
What I don't like about the multi-finishers is that the enemies stay stunned during them. It's not that noticeable in multi-finishers for 2 because they're quick, but when it's 3 or 4.... AC3 for example has some awesome combat coreography, and while some of its double counters may have been long, there still was this sense that the ones you killed were attacking you, while in ACS, it's just..... eeeeh?

BananaBlighter
11-16-2015, 07:44 PM
What I don't like about the multi-finishers is that the enemies stay stunned during them. It's not that noticeable in multi-finishers for 2 because they're quick, but when it's 3 or 4.... AC3 for example has some awesome combat coreography, and while some of its double counters may have been long, there still was this sense that the ones you killed were attacking you, while in ACS, it's just..... eeeeh?

I agree, that is why I dislike the brawling multi finishers, because, as I said, they feel more detached. Sometimes you don't notice it much, but I remember before release, some of the demos had really awkward camera angles during these finishers that showed off how stupid enemies looks when they are stunned. I find they look a lot better with the Kukri or the Cane-sword, though still not up there with AC3's.