PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed film costumes (opinions wanted!)

tiffers8810
11-16-2015, 10:34 AM
Hi, I'm doing a degree in costume and for my dissertation I'm studying the AC costumes. So I'm in need of some opinions from fans and was wondering if you all could help me out on the following questions?

What do you think the costumes in the film should look like? Exact copies of what is seen in the game or something re-worked for film?

How important is it that the story lines/characters are kept as close to the games as possible?

Does it bother you that there are some historical inaccuracies in the costumes of the games? If so do you think the films should correct these?

Will you go and see the film regardless if it gets poor reviews?

Do you think that the films will attract larger audiences outside the gaming communities?

Is one of the major draws for you to see the film the level of action/stunts or is it the story lines?

Do you think that turning the game into a film will work?

Thank you to anyone who bothers to reply, I will be super grateful
Tiffers

VestigialLlama4
11-16-2015, 11:02 AM
Hi, I'm doing a degree in costume and for my dissertation I'm studying the AC costumes. So I'm in need of some opinions from fans and was wondering if you all could help me out on the following questions?

Would love to.

What do you think the costumes in the film should look like? Exact copies of what is seen in the game or something re-worked for film?

The Latter. The point of the AC games was that we were reliving a simulation of the past. This simulation coheres more or less to how things happened, but the manner in which it is being relived depends on the technology of the Animus Machine, so that's why we have the GUI (Graphic User Interface) of a video game. This was explicitly told to us in the first game. The point of these games is that the memories may be accurate but the Animus still has to interpret and visualize it in a certain way, and as time and technology advances, the visualizations will improve. The Animus also edits out certain memories of the heroes "doing nothing" i.e (bathing/toilet breaks/eating/drinking/sleeping) so as to focus everything on their Assassin activities. So in other words we are not meant to assume literally that Altair and Ezio literally wore the same outfit and uniform all the time. We are not meant to assume that they literally blended in crowds despite wearing this Hood and Cape Outfit and walked around in the cover of prostitutes.

Basically, from the games we can take a Point A (i.e. Ezio's Parents got Murdered, Altair compromised Brotherhood Mission) and a Point B(Ezio punched Pope. Altair whacked Al Mualim) but between those points is basically concised and meant to be up for interpretation. You can assume obviously that Altair changed outfits, picked up accents, modified body language and did what you would realistically think an Assassin did in some of the situations he was in.

For a movie, the visualizations must be realistic and since a film is linear, it should basically try and show us ''what really happened'' or barring that use the Animus to evoke a subjective examination of the past. Basically the Animus must bend to the medium of cinema. That's why I don't think they should follow the games and give every Assassin a Superhero Costume, I feel they should go for realistic costumes and avoid hoods except for special scenes as a nod or acknowledgement or if it fits that time and place.

How important is it that the story lines/characters are kept as close to the games as possible?

Not too important. Assassin's Creed first and foremost are video games and the stuff that makes AC--AC is stuff that is only possible in the video game medium and not the movies. So a movie should tackle the philosophical and weighty themes and capture the tone of the games, "the smart-alecky swashbuckling story".

Does it bother you that there are some historical inaccuracies in the costumes of the games? If so do you think the films should correct these?

It depends on the period concerned. Since a lot of costume work is guesswork anyway. Movies are hardly historically accurate in terms of costumes and the stuff we think of as Fashion in period movies is at times an amalgamation of different periods or actually a costume style derived from earlier work. Like everyone thinks of Ninja as wearing black outfits with slits in hood, but that's actually from a Japanese theatre convention which the west picked up and naturally thought were how "ninja" really like. Actual ninja dressed up as servants and labourers, the kind who are beneath notice.

I am not sure if I will see the film even if it gets good reviews.

Not with the story they are doing. In general a lot of what makes Assassin's creed is stuff that's possible to do only in games. In games, a sandbox of Renaissance Italy has value because you have that sense of actually being in the past, in movies, it's simply another Hollywood epic backdrop with CGI and touristy vistas. Not special at all.

Sorrosyss
11-16-2015, 02:02 PM

Well it's a new setting, so I imagine it will all be pretty new.

Again, it's a new setting but whether we see cameos of existing characters, who knows. The main themes surrounding the Animus, Abstergo, the Templar/Assassin war, are all pretty universal. Hopefully they'll get that correct.

I can imagine they modify the outfits away from the original materials due to lighting, and the need for stunts. So long as it is somewhat authentic, I doubt many viewers would notice.

I'll definitely watch it, but whether I make the effort to go to see it at the cinema.. not sure yet.

Do you think that the films will attract larger audiences outside the gaming communities?

I guess that's part of the plan, and to in turn promote sales for the games.

Is one of the major draws for you to see the film the level of action/stunts or is it the story lines?

I'd be primarily invested in the story, but being Hollywood there will no doubt be some highly choreographed fight scenes.

Remains to be seen. I personally think the IP is better suited to a tv show where they can really explore the backstory and the full science behind the Animus. I fear the 90 odd minute format won't leave much time for story development at all. I'm also not particularly fond of the historical setting they chose, but I'd rather they did something original than try to recreate one of the games - that would be a disaster.

Anyhoo, best of luck with your degree! :)

cawatrooper9
11-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Speaking for the Assassins- As far as the games go, I'm not really a purist for the Assassin "uniform" of a hood and a white robe- I love when they deviate, like Arno's blue robes and Jacob's tophat. However, for the first film in the series, I think we need something iconic. I think we do need a hooded white robe. Now, as Ezio, Connor, and Edward have shown, this doesn't necessarily mean the traditional Levantine Assassin robes- Aguilar could still add some pizzazz to his costume to make it his own.

Personally, to me, I'd want the film to be considered canon, but I wouldn't want there to be much crossover. If we see Bishop in the film, for instance, that's fine, and I'd expect the Assassins in the film to make reference to Ezio, Altair, etc... I wouldn't even mind if the next game references Aguilar and the events of the film. But crossover should be a bit limited, like the MCU films (other than the Avengers).

Personally, I rarely notice these kinds of things. However, if something is glaringly anachronistic, yeah, that bothers me.

I would. I'm a big enough fan of the series that I'll at least see this one film.

I hope so. I think the MCU movies have done a lot to bring non-comic book readers in, so this is certainly possible. I wish they'd start showing more promos outside the gaming community, though.

Both, I suppose. Though the major draw is that it's Assassins-friggin Creed, so I guess it's the story line that interests me- though seeing Fassbender jump into a bale of hay and air assassinate someone are going to be strangely beautiful moments for me.

Again, that depends. Too often, movie games try one of two things:

1) Rebooting a franchise for a film universe
2) Telling an entirely different alternate universe story in a film franchise

This movie would be served best, I think, by continuing in the established universe of the games, but telling an entirely new story within that universe. Like I said earlier, they could reference the earlier games/protagonists/events/ for some fanservice, but it wouldn't aleinate entirely new filmgoers who haven't played the games.