PDA

View Full Version : The setting you most don't want to see

Assassin_M
11-15-2015, 02:22 AM
We've had tons of "Which is your favorite setting?" or "Which setting do you want to see most?" and one thousand other variations of those, but I don't think we ever had this.

So, question in title. If your opinion is not in the poll, talk post about it. It's also not restricted to backdrops and physical settings, you could say "I want rural areas back" or "I want it to stay in an urban environment"

Be patient, kids. It's a poll and it appears later.

ze_topazio
11-15-2015, 02:27 AM
XX century man, anything XX century.

I-Like-Pie45
11-15-2015, 02:59 AM
Modern Day because it had its chance and it never tried to take it

The 1980s should be the latest any AC game should go in history, there could be motorcycle Assassins and hidden overdose firing dartguns

Eziodagreat
11-15-2015, 03:05 AM
Should be multiple-choice, I basically want them to stay away from any major war/revolution in history for awhile.

ze_topazio
11-15-2015, 03:09 AM
I'm not entirely opposed but I'm kinda tired of one city games so I don't want to see one city games again anytime soon, I would like to see the return of multiple cities, some rural areas would be nice too, Rogue is good example of a game with good numbers of varied areas, not too small and not too big, and a countryside area around the city like Forly and San Gimignano would be nice too.

I ain't too fond of the idea of Ancient Egypt, a more modern Egypt from the middle ages on forward would be better.

Like I said before XX century gets a no from me, XX century history bores me to tears quite frankly and is too modern for my tastes, with that said I voted World War II in the poll.

People keep asking for the American Civil war but, personally, I have little interest in seeing an AC game about that war, can't say I would be thrilled with a Wild West setting but part of me has this morbid curiosity to see how AC would handle that theme.

Modern day, because you know, too modern.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

VestigialLlama4
11-15-2015, 03:30 AM
I am okay with 20th Century games so long as it doesn't take place in America, because that is GTA territory.

Berlin in the 20s is one era I think will be a terrific AC setting.

Wild West on the other just doesn't make any sense whatsoever to me as an AC setting.

I-Like-Pie45
11-15-2015, 04:05 AM
Wild West shouldn't happen until the development team figures out how to develop horses that work ;)

I'm replaying AC3 at the moment and it's amazing how many obvious things you'd think a horse would be able to cross or jump over in this game but it can't.

Assassin_M
11-15-2015, 04:14 AM
Wild West shouldn't happen until the development team figures out how to develop horses that work ;)

I'm replaying AC3 at the moment and it's amazing how many obvious things you'd think a horse would be able to cross or jump over in this game but it can't.
You're slipping, pie. You're starting to seem human.

CrossedEagle
11-15-2015, 04:16 AM
I don't want a game to take place later than 1868, or even a game in the 18th or 19th century again.

I-Like-Pie45
11-15-2015, 04:22 AM
You're slipping, pie. You're starting to seem human.

Well if bears are going to survive the next century of global human encroachment, we have to adapt and adopt some of your tactics. Soon we will be buying your land with our credit cards and mowing everything down to build shopping plazas & parking spaces over it.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2015, 04:57 AM
I would say Feudal Japan, but I'm afraid of waking up in a torture room tomorrow.

I-Like-Pie45
11-15-2015, 05:01 AM
I would say Feudal Japan, but I'm afraid of waking up in a torture room tomorrow.

I wouldn't be offended by that but Bohan Son of Boku might be. :)

Namikaze_17
11-15-2015, 05:29 AM
I wouldn't be offended by that but Bohan Son of Boku might be. :)

Why would Bohan be offended? - I hope it isn't over me critiquing his bearhameha again.

I only told him that Boten does it better.

I-Like-Pie45
11-15-2015, 06:10 AM
Why would Bohan be offended? - I hope it isn't over me critiquing his bearhameha again.

I only told him that Boten does it better.
Bohan doesn't like it when people criticize his proud homeland of Japan

Namikaze_17
11-15-2015, 06:24 AM
Bohan doesn't like it when people criticize his proud homeland of Japan

He had it coming when he criticized Zaofu's metal.

It's the city of metal for christ's sake.

DumbGamerTag94
11-15-2015, 07:10 AM
I'm just gonna come out and say it. Unpopular Opinion:

Japan. I hate the idea with a passion.

TimeLock09
11-15-2015, 08:09 AM
Feudal Japan. No just ... no. Wayyy too cliche. Ninja Assassins? HA! Don't make me laugh. Don't know why anyone would want this. Plus feudal japan has been done to death already. It's milked dry. Try something else in asia, like China for flip sake.

KrYpToNiC95
11-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Australia! Ive seen the point raised a couple of times and its a horrid idea. We have no history in this country whatsoever given that its only been in its modern form for only 227 years

RVSage
11-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Any setting, post 1900 will not be my thing.

Danny_rx7
11-15-2015, 10:55 AM
+1

I'm so tired of 1800+ settings. :D

Middle Ages are the best for these games.

VoXngola
11-15-2015, 11:24 AM
If I see Europe in the 18th/19 century one more time...

Sorrosyss
11-15-2015, 12:46 PM
World War II. It's literally been done to death, in most media. I really couldn't see a good story that wouldn't cross over with a previous game, especially the Wolfenstein games that deal with the occult side of things.

I'm not that averse to any of the others, and personally would love China or Japan as it would be nice to take the story to another continent, with some very different architecture.

But yeah, I think we've had enough of Europe for awhile.

ACZanius
11-15-2015, 02:12 PM
I voted for Wild West/California Gold Rush, just seems "not legit" although i believe Ubisoft would make epic any of these settings at the end of the day, i am going to lose my **** if next game is another Europe ughhhhhh time to move on like for real :cool:

Kaschra
11-15-2015, 05:44 PM
Wild West. Just... no.
I really don't like this setting for an AC game, and it would be constantly compared to Red Dead Redemption.

I-Like-Pie45
11-15-2015, 06:11 PM
World War II. It's literally been done to death, in most media. I really couldn't see a good story that wouldn't cross over with a previous game, especially the Wolfenstein games that deal with the occult side of things.

Not from the Axis'' perspective ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

A WW2 Assassin's Creed game could have a German Assassin rescuing Anne Frank (who is a Sage) from the camps or a Japanese Assassin rooting out Chinese Templars in Nanking, and more.

crusader_prophet
11-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Wild West. Just... no.
I really don't like this setting for an AC game, and it would be constantly compared to Red Dead Redemption.

Yeah it's just the most boring setting for me. I even fall asleep when I try to watch the movies.

dxsxhxcx
11-15-2015, 06:37 PM
01. Wild West/California Gold Rush
02. WWI / WWII
03. Ancient Rome
04. Pre-history
05. Feudal Japan
06. China
07. Persia
08. India

crusader_prophet
11-15-2015, 06:43 PM
01. Wild West/California Gold Rush
02. WWI / WWII
03. Ancient Rome
04. Pre-history
05. Feudal Japan
06. China
07. Persia
08. India

Does that mean that you want none of the above made into an AC game, just in that order?

Namikaze_17
11-15-2015, 06:44 PM
I'm surprised that the Viking era isn't in this one.

Not that I'm against that time period or anything.

dxsxhxcx
11-15-2015, 07:19 PM
Does that mean that you want none of the above made into an AC game, just in that order?

no, just 1~3 are settings I really don't want to see, the other options are settings I wouldn't mind seeing but I'm not that eager to..

Xstantin
11-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Feudal Japan, it's just not gonna work out well because of bloated expectations

crusader_prophet
11-15-2015, 09:03 PM
no, just 1~3 are settings I really don't want to see, the other options are settings I wouldn't mind seeing but I'm not that eager to..

I agree, for me Wild West is just plain boring and too modern. I would however would like to see an AC game in medieval India or just at the dawn of modern period in India/Portugal.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Not my favorite or first choice of a setting, but I would at least be interested in what Ubi could do with the Wild West.
Who knows, it could potentially pull a Black Flag and not even play into the stereotypes/tropes we hold in our minds.

EDIT: Then again, even Black Flag played into the "pirate who wants money" trope, even though Edward's reasoning for doing so was way more original and thought-out.

BananaBlighter
11-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Wild West. However if next year truly is this, I'll be very interested to see how Ubi tackles it.

m4r-k7
11-15-2015, 10:54 PM
I really don't want:

Any European country post 1868.

Wild West / America in any period.

But hey, I really didn't want pirates and Black Flag was spectacular. But please no World Wars.

UbiSmarmy
11-15-2015, 11:40 PM
I would hate to see the next Assassin's Creed in Midwest America circa 1980's, that would be boring.

crusader_prophet
11-15-2015, 11:43 PM
I would hate to see the next Assassin's Creed in Midwest America circa 1980's, that would be boring.

My thoughts exactly.

jellejackhammer
11-15-2015, 11:45 PM
any location will do for me,its the time period that could put me off.

victorian era is as modern as we should go in my opinion,any date later and it would lose it's "historic atmophere"

it would take out that "special" feel this series gives.

Namikaze_17
11-16-2015, 12:11 AM

Wasn't that a joke?

UbiSmarmy
11-16-2015, 01:13 AM
Wasn't that a joke?

A joke, and reality. I mean the only game that's really taken place in the Midwest is Watch_Dogs and they had to do it in the future because the middle of the country really doesn't have much going on normally. As someone who grew up in the Midwest I can say this from personal experience.

strigoi1958
11-16-2015, 01:22 AM
No WW1 or WW2 and I'm not certain about feudal Japan but I'd probably like it.

LoyalACFan
11-16-2015, 08:50 AM
I think I might actually burst into flames if there's a WWII AC game. Seriously. It's like the single most oversaturated backdrop in gaming besides outer space and apocalyptic hellscapes..

A Wild West game would be horrendous, but deep down I know I couldn't turn away from a trainwreck that glorious.

Sushiglutton
11-16-2015, 10:29 AM
I voted Wild West, but I've allready changed my mind to WW2. I just recalled that the frontier was pretty sweet and at least California is sunny and has some magnificient rockclimbing. WW2 I just don't see it working. But I wanna go someplace exotic now.

(Edit: I guess they could do WW2 in North Africa, that might actually be interesting).

cawatrooper9
11-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Man, people really hate the idea of a Wild West game. I mean, I don't think we're ready for that yet, but I wouldn't mind seeing it eventually.

No feudal Japan, though. Please no.

RinoTheBouncer
11-16-2015, 04:08 PM
I voted for Wild West/California Rush. I have to add some to the list of settings I DO NOT want to see:

Spain
South America
North America
Australia

I generally don't want anything between 1200 to 1800, at least not those set in Europe and America.

Hans684
11-16-2015, 04:49 PM
I want everything, AC isn't limited by time and place. Why dismiss AC's potential? Unless you want the same game over and over and over again while expecting **** to change!

ACZanius
11-16-2015, 05:10 PM
I want everything, AC isn't limited by time and place. Why dismiss AC's potential? Unless you want the same game over and over and over again while expecting **** to change!

LET IT ALL OUT HANS ARGHHHH! hehe jk

At the end of the day i really hope we go back in ancient times, ancient Egypt Persia or even time of first civilization but one last thing and this is strictly from my heart, i would love to have a fully modern day Assassin's Creed game, i know i know going there but like i said truly from my heart i would buy it in a heartbeat!

https://49.media.tumblr.com/172fa22d7a0a1a1694350399937c4cd1/tumblr_ml0uc5AgoG1r92jtlo1_500.gif

crusader_prophet
11-16-2015, 06:15 PM
I voted for Wild West/California Rush. I have to add some to the list of settings I DO NOT want to see:

Spain
South America
North America
Australia

I generally don't want anything between 1200 to 1800, at least not those set in Europe and America.

So you didn't like AC2, AC: B? If you didn't I understand. I am just curious to know. Because that is pretty huge timeline you ruled out there, and there was quite a lot happening in Europe at that time. I am not mentioning the latter ones because people started to have strong opinions for those games.

I would like a game set in that time period in Portugal or Indian sub-continent.

cawatrooper9
11-16-2015, 07:51 PM
So you didn't like AC2, AC: B? If you didn't I understand. I am just curious to know. Because that is pretty huge timeline you ruled out there, and there was quite a lot happening in Europe at that time. I am not mentioning the latter ones because people started to have strong opinions for those games.

I would like a game set in that time period in Portugal or Indian sub-continent.

I don't want to speak for him, but my guess is that he just wants something new. Something older, probably.

I now realize how that sounds like a contradiction, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

m4r-k7
11-16-2015, 07:53 PM
Its funny how they went primal with Far Cry before AC. A story about the fact that there were assassins in the primal age could be fantastic with a return to hunting animals etc. Of course there wouldn't be many structures, but they could still make parkour work. Just a thought :)

I just want them to go back in time now, its getting annoying how there is so much potential for games set in an Ancient period, but they insist on going up the timeline.

cawatrooper9
11-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Its funny how they went primal with Far Cry before AC. A story about the first ever Assassins in the primal age could be fantastic with a return to hunting animals etc. Of course there wouldn't be many structures, but they could still make parkour work. Just a thought :)

I totally agree that it would be awesome to see something like that, but it may be a bit of a risky move. While Assassins (note the capitalized "A") technically existed back then, this would be long before the reforms and standards made by the Levantine Order. In fact, they'd even be different than the ancient Assassins around Aquilus's time.

People got so incredibly ticked off that Jacob didn't wear a hood- can you imagine how mad they'd be when almost all of the signatures of the Assassins are stripped away?

GunnerGalactico
11-16-2015, 08:02 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Wild West and Ancient Egypt. There I said it.

Would've preferred Egypt in the 17/18th century.

EDIT- It's really funny how people say that Feudal Japan is too clichéd... as if Ming Dynasty China doesn't have a "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" vibe to it. :rolleyes:

OxIdOAC
11-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Ancient Egypt would be nice.
I just loved Brotherhood, Rome is my best setting so far, but worst is definitely AC III........
China and Japan is settings i really would NOT like....

well, nobody's perfect...

OxIdOAC
11-16-2015, 08:14 PM
And what about the dark age, Inquisition and all that.....

ze_topazio
11-16-2015, 08:46 PM
It's really funny how people say that Feudal Japan is too clichéd...

Nobody understand us Gunner. :(

Hans684
11-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Everything is a cliché cliché, that's a forum sin. 1

m4r-k7
11-16-2015, 10:04 PM
People got so incredibly ticked off that Jacob didn't wear a hood- can you imagine how mad they'd be when almost all of the signatures of the Assassins are stripped away?

Thats a good point :)
Would be risky, but could be awesome if executed well. The story could have a lot of potential with the real birth of the Assassin and Templar order - To see how everything began could be awesome.

RinoTheBouncer
11-16-2015, 10:10 PM

I did like those. In fact, ACII, AC:R, AC:B, ACIII and ACI are my most favorites. However, I think those settings are highly overused. A lot did happen, yes. And a lot of movies, books, theaters and various forms of arts portrayed that era in those places. However, you hardly find any movies about the Sumerian Civilization, for example. I wanna see something new and original, like that.

Another thing is that ACI had only the hidden blade, a sword, a dagger and throwing knives. It didn't have any fancy equipments and it was an epic game. So why not go way back in time and have something like that? I'd be totally open to it.

crusader_prophet
11-16-2015, 10:43 PM
I did like those. In fact, ACII, AC:R, AC:B, ACIII and ACI are my most favorites. However, I think those settings are highly overused. A lot did happen, yes. And a lot of movies, books, theaters and various forms of arts portrayed that era in those places. However, you hardly find any movies about the Sumerian Civilization, for example. I wanna see something new and original, like that.

Another thing is that ACI had only the hidden blade, a sword, a dagger and throwing knives. It didn't have any fancy equipments and it was an epic game. So why not go way back in time and have something like that? I'd be totally open to it.

Bravo! My favorite in the franchise is Altair and AC1 too. Even now I find myself scaling the small houses and just taking my horse through the kingdom. It's simplicity yet compelling narrative filled with mystery is what drew me and fell in love with the franchise!

sharpblade1508
11-16-2015, 10:55 PM
Wild West. Just... no.

I agree, it just seems like we would get RDR with hidden blades. Which overall wouldn't make it that different of a game. Plus, unless the game would be almost entirely set in nature or at least have lots of access to it, there's little to no opportunities for parkour in cities or towns. And I would get pretty tired of scaling a bunch of canyons that all look the same.

I-Like-Pie45
11-17-2015, 02:05 AM
I'm gonna have to go with Wild West and Ancient Egypt. There I said it.

Would've preferred Egypt in the 17/18th century.

EDIT- It's really funny how people say that Feudal Japan is too clichéd... as if Ming Dynasty China doesn't have a "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" vibe to it. :rolleyes:
who sez ming dynasty is the only Chyna people want to see :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
11-17-2015, 04:14 AM
It's really funny how people say that Feudal Japan is too clichéd...

That's to be expected when the general consensus of the time period is the same ol' "ninjas vs samurai" trope that floats around, while few others really go into the real history. I doubt many fans would be overly fond of the actual Feudal Japan and its history if Ubi chooses to not go the easy route - it colliding with both their unrealistic expectations, and perceptions from various media. What about the height of the buildings? The Historical figures? - the more people go into matters such as these, the less ignorance others will display towards it.

Then again, I'm an ignorant gang leader on this matter, so forgive me if I seemed rude. :p

GunnerGalactico
11-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Nobody understand us Gunner. :(

They don't. :(

Everybody watches too much anime or cheesy Hollywood movies. :p

That's to be expected when the general consensus of the time period is the same ol' "ninjas vs samurai" trope that floats around, while few others really go into the real history. I doubt many fans would be overly fond of the actual Feudal Japan and its history if Ubi chooses to not go the easy route - it colliding with both their unrealistic expectations, and perceptions from various media. What about the height of the buildings? The Historical figures? - the more people go into matters such as these, the less ignorance others will display towards it.

Then again, I'm an ignorant gang leader on this matter, so forgive me if I seemed rude. :p

I hear you, what puzzles me the most is why most people only say that FJ is the most predictable and clichéd out of all the desired time periods. I can name all the clichéd tropes associated with every country or time period out there. FJ is one of a few time periods that I do find genuinely fascinating, I've read books cover to cover about it long before I even had access to the internet. I know things since the Heian period... right till the Meiji Restoration era, and it is far from the romanticized view that people have of it. Also, when people keep throwing around the "Ninja vs Samurai" trope... it is the biggest joke ever. The Samurai are not one single "good entity", you get good ones and bad ones depending on the warlord they serve. It is the same with Ninjas. So yeah, I do take it personal when people flat out say that FJ is too boring or predicable and that time period "XYZ" is more interesting.

dimbismp
11-17-2015, 11:30 AM
First of all,i think that AC needs to go back in time,even in BC times.Let's see:

Ancient Egypt
I am kinda ok with this setting.If we go that far back in time though,i would prefer ancient Greece

Wild West
Just no.No,no,no,no,no,Noooooo!The wild west is the most anti-AC setting i can think of.There were no big cities,the buildings were short and far apart.Plus the gameplay would rely too much on gunplay(not even close combat) and i can't see how stealth can be applied in this game(let alone social stealth).Even if the game is cool there will be 2 major problems:
1)It won't be an AC game
2)It will be constantly compared to RDR,which is the perfect Wild West game

Ancient Rome
This actually is one of the dream AC settings of mine.Really interesting time period,which is full of intrigue and political games etc.

Feudal Japan
I feel that after 5 games,AC needs to do something else than 18th/19th century Europe/American Colonies.Something fresh.So...why not?

China
Like the above.

WW2
Another big no.This game would rely too much on gunplay.However,in contrast to a Wild West game,here,we would at least get big and interesting cities.Another problem is that the WW2 history is too controversial and UBI would not have the balls to create an interesting story.They would most likely portray the Nazis as Templars and the Allies as the Assassins.The only good thing with this setting is that we may have the chance to get small areas of many great cities like Berlin,London,Paris,Rome,Moscow etc

WW1
Like the above.Although WW1 would be slightly better.

Pre-History
Look,if this era is going to be portrayed realistically(meaning people living in caves,no cities etc),then i would definitely not like/buy this game.However,if 1st Civ is going to be heavily involved,then things might get really interesting.

Persia
Like Egypt,i am ok with it,although i would prefer Ancient Greece.

India
If the OP means Ancient India,i would prefer Ancient Greece to this(again).If he means more recent times,i would prefer China and/or Japan.

So,in conclusion,the worst possible setting of this list is without question the WILD WEST setting

jellejackhammer
11-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Where are the times that everyone asked an screamed for a feudal Japan setting? And now its cliché? Times have changed ...

ze_topazio
11-17-2015, 01:28 PM
The California Gold Rush could actually work, they could even start with the Mexican–American War, there would be big cities like San Francisco and other cities, villages and settlements like Los Angeles, Sacramento, etc... and maybe even Mexico City.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/46/SanFranciscoharbor1851c_sharp.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/Francis_Samuel_Marryat%2C_San_Francisco%2C_lithogr aph.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/'View_of_San_Francisco_in_1850',_1878,_oil_on_canv as_painting_by_George_Henry_Burgess,_1878.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/1856_Henry_Bill_Map_and_View_of_San_Francisco,_Cal ifornia_-_Geographicus_-_SanFrancisco-bill-1856.jpg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/Edcanvas/169/local/Historic%20San%20Jose.jpg
http://noehill.com/sacramento/images/sacramento_flood_jan_1850.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Sacramento_california_1849.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Birds-eye_view_of_Sacramento_1857.jpg
http://iyftc1oqf704bytwz45ub151.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/LA-Map-appx-1849.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Nebel_Mexican_War_12_Scott_in_Mexico_City.jpg

Namikaze_17
11-17-2015, 02:11 PM
I hear you, what puzzles me the most is why most people only say that FJ is the most predictable and clichéd out of all the desired time periods. I can name all the clichéd tropes associated with every country or time period out there. FJ is one of a few time periods that I do find genuinely fascinating, I've read books cover to cover about it long before I even had access to the internet. I know things since the Heian period... right till the Meiji Restoration era, and it is far from the romanticized view that people have of it. Also, when people keep throwing around the "Ninja vs Samurai" trope... it is the biggest joke ever. The Samurai are not one single "good entity", you get good ones and bad ones depending on the warlord they serve. It is the same with Ninjas. So yeah, I do take it personal when people flat out say that FJ is too boring or predicable and that time period "XYZ" is more interesting.

It seems to be an underlying issue in everyone don't you think?

Feudal Japan, Wild West - we should all try being more open-minded toward these settings and the potential they hold.

Where are the times that everyone asked an screamed for a feudal Japan setting? And now its cliché? Times have changed ...

I think we scared them off. :p

m4r-k7
11-17-2015, 04:39 PM
The question we have to ask is "Is the rope launcher staying, or was it a one off feature for Syndicate?"

Because if it is a new mechanic that is staying, we know we will have another setting with wide streets etc.

jellejackhammer
11-17-2015, 04:47 PM
The question we have to ask is "Is the rope launcher staying, or was it a one off feature for Syndicate?"

Because if it is a new mechanic that is staying, we know we will have another setting with wide streets etc.

imagine a wild west setting with the rope launcher....... hiking assassin's confirmed!!!!

cawatrooper9
11-17-2015, 04:55 PM

Hard to tell with AC. Gadgets are introduced and abandoned at a pretty regular rate. Overall, I think Beserk Darts have been the most successful addition, as the concept was added with poison darts in ACB (or, possibly with the poison blade in ACII, depending on your interpretation), and I believe they've existed in some format in each game since then... though perhaps not in ACIII, I don't remember them then.

Darts tend to be pretty popular though. I don't think the ropelauncher got that warm of a reception, so I'd be at least a little surprised to see it return.

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2015, 05:06 PM
First of all,i think that AC needs to go back in time,even in BC times.Let's see:

India
If the OP means Ancient India,i would prefer Ancient Greece to this(again).If he means more recent times,i would prefer China and/or Japan.

So,in conclusion,the worst possible setting of this list is without question the WILD WEST setting

Ancient India would be an awesome setting actually. Especially if you go to the period of the Buddha and the early democracies of Vaishali, you also have Harappa and Mohenjo-daro. Buddha by the way is one of the few religious figures that ubisoft can get away depicting.

I would prefer Mughal India of course, or the early years of the Raj...Tipu Sultan is made for AC. Badass who tried and failed to modernized, pioneered rocket technology and launched them off Elephants (he actually did that by the way...). He's made for AC.

crusader_prophet
11-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Ancient India would be an awesome setting actually. Especially if you go to the period of the Buddha and the early democracies of Vaishali, you also have Harappa and Mohenjo-daro. Buddha by the way is one of the few religious figures that ubisoft can get away depicting.

I would prefer Mughal India of course, or the early years of the Raj...Tipu Sultan is made for AC. Badass who tried and failed to modernized, pioneered rocket technology and launched them off Elephants (he actually did that by the way...). He's made for AC.

Funny you mentioned Tipu Sultan, because I thought after unity with Napoleon's references all over, and AC Brahman release, they were going to show Tipu Sultan's allegiances with him and leave a hint for Egypt. I grew up watching shows on Tipu Sultan and he is easily a charismatic character made for AC universe.

dimbismp
11-17-2015, 05:48 PM

If AC ever explores the BC civilizations,i would definitely want to see ancient Greece.I don't have a problem with the other settings,but i am Greek and i would love to see a realistic version of ancient greece in a game.That's that.

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2015, 06:55 PM
If AC ever explores the BC civilizations,i would definitely want to see ancient Greece.I don't have a problem with the other settings,but i am Greek and i would love to see a realistic version of ancient greece in a game.That's that.

A realistic version of Ancient Greece, I imagine would be a lot of swamplands, a lot of windblasted villages ("the wine dark sea" of Homer), low-lying cities and the buildings would be small and low-ceilinged aside from Acropolis and Parthenon. If its set in Athens, there would be nude dudes all around with women kept outside public view and a lot of naked wrestling and running. You might have naval, rowed by slaves mostly and dead slow compared to what we are used to. The thing is an Ancient World setting whether in Greece or Egypt or India would be a lot like AC3...settlements, flat buildings and very few high points).

I think the Peloponnesian War would be the good setting (Socrates, Alcibiades, Lycurgus, Thucydides, Pericles) and you would see events like the Sicilian expedition, the Melian Dialogue, the thirty tyrants, the trial of Socrates (obviously the Mentor of the Assassins). You would have small islands all around, and I can imagine a lot of First Civilization mysteries.

The architecture would be most interesting since Ubisoft have a lot of license in an Ancient Setting. What we see today are ruins but obviously that's not how it was at that time and Ubisoft can basically invent and make-stuff up as much as they like, since that would be logical. You can also use recent research and restore the colouring of these old statues (supposedly they weren't in white marble but originally coloured and ornamented but faded after a while).

ze_topazio
11-17-2015, 07:17 PM
http://www.greeceathensaegeaninfo.com/a-ath/maps/athens-ancient-watercolor-lg.jpg
https://i.warosu.org/data/3/img/0003/95/1385067389737.jpg
http://www.ancientathens3d.com/Hellenistic/dut.jpg
http://www.ancientathens3d.com/Classical/parthprom.jpg
http://www.ancientathens3d.com/Classical/notpar.jpg
http://www.ancientathens3d.com/Hellenistic/akrellin.jpg
http://www.ancientathens3d.com/Classical/ClasAcr.jpg
http://www.emersonkent.com/images/athens_interest.jpg
https://filelleni.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/athens_reconstruction_featuring_acropolis.jpg
http://www.howitworksdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/olympics.jpg
https://aristotelisguidegr.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/whiskytree-hills-se-of-the-acropolis.jpg
http://greece.greekreporter.com/files/Acropolis-in-a-3D-Video1.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VISPl9VTbRI/UpY_uRFFaSI/AAAAAAAAJag/--i8XpaZSFM/s1600/ancient_athens.png
http://newslab.gr/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ancient-athens.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFGBNZ15Dy0

cawatrooper9
11-17-2015, 07:48 PM
Ughhh,don't get me excited about an Ancient Greek setting again, guys, I can't take it.

Ασσασσ ινς Κρεεδ...

Maybe show the progression of the Assassin Symbol, and have it represented simply by a Δ (representing change)...

Ugh, I'm so hyped for a game that doesn't even necessarily exits.

Edit: I took only one semester of Greek. I'm sure my transliteration is not that accurate, just wanted to have some fun.

jellejackhammer
11-17-2015, 08:07 PM
http://www.greeceathensaegeaninfo.com/a-ath/maps/athens-ancient-watercolor-lg.jpg
https://filelleni.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/athens_reconstruction_featuring_acropolis.jpg
https://aristotelisguidegr.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/whiskytree-hills-se-of-the-acropolis.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-VISPl9VTbRI/UpY_uRFFaSI/AAAAAAAAJag/--i8XpaZSFM/s1600/ancient_athens.png

Now that's a intresting base model they could take On! Would be lot's of potential to have first civ lore in a ac with this setting! Might aswell move ancient greece a few spot higher On my wishlist now

RA503
11-17-2015, 08:10 PM
Just imagine the result of the poll if was made before Black Flag and Golden Age piracy is in the options...

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Ughhh,don't get me excited about an Ancient Greek setting again, guys, I can't take it.

Ασσασσ ινς Κρεεδ...

Maybe show the progression of the Assassin Symbol, and have it represented simply by a Δ (representing change)...

Ugh, I'm so hyped for a game that doesn't even necessarily exits.

Edit: I took only one semester of Greek. I'm sure my transliteration is not that accurate, just wanted to have some fun.

Sing to me, O Muse, Sing of the Man in the Hood,
Who wields his blade in a crowd and moves like
Wing-Footed Hermes along the Ground, and survives
falls higher than that which killed Icarus.

cawatrooper9
11-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Sing to me, O Muse, Sing of the Man in the Hood,
Who wields his blade in a crowd and moves like
Wing-Footed Hermes along the Ground, and survives
falls higher than that which killed Icarus.

STAHHHPPPPPP.

But seriously, having a Greek Chorus reciting things like this during the loading screens would be a great touch (something along the lines of the dialogue while loading in Shadow of Mordor)...

But we digress, this thread is a thread about the setting we most DON'T want to see, and in all space and time Ancient Greece is at the very bottom of that list for me.

RVSage
11-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Greek setting may be good, if done right. Greek Mythology is so huge, that we can get great story out of it

jellejackhammer
11-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Greek setting may be good, if done right. Greek Mythology is so huge, that we can get great story out of it

Would be a perfect opportunity to get more insight about juno and the rest of the first civ. Might be a vital setting to learn more about juno's plans and a very good backdrop for MD progression in general. But it's best to stay On topic now :p

VestigialLlama4
11-17-2015, 08:49 PM
But seriously, having a Greek Chorus reciting things like this during the loading screens would be a great touch (something along the lines of the dialogue while loading in Shadow of Mordor)...

And naturally the Assassins will recruit followers by starting their own Mystery Cult with hidden rites and rituals and whose true meanings are hidden. Their God would be Bacchus who represents freedom, Dionysian ideas which contrast the Appolonian Templars. This is of course a Nietzchean concept but then considering the real Nietzsche was a huge fanboy of the real Assassins it would make sense to retrofit that to the classical world.

But we digress, this thread is a thread about the setting we most DON'T want to see, and in all space and time Ancient Greece is at the very bottom of that list for me.

The truth is that I am okay with any setting Ubisoft choose provided they are passionate about it and know what they were doing. I didn't think Black Flag would make a good setting when it was announced but it turned out be a great game. Unity had probably the most exciting and interesting setting...Paris during the French Revolution and they basically threw away everything that made that setting because they were themselves obviously quite uninterested in that period. In an era with some of the most colourful and larger-than-life historical figures (Robespierre, Saint-Just, Danton, Marat, Jacques-Louis David) they basically decided that some nobody jeweller was the real bad guy...seriously, this kind of waste of potential is criminally short-sighted as is maliciously and vilely slandering these figures the few times it shows them.

So good settings don't always good games. Like Syndicate...Victorian London is not a good period for an AC game and I still think that the game is not really successful but Syndicate is entertaining and light-hearted so the tone fits the approach they take. The developers behind Syndicate knew exactly what they are doing, the ones behind Unity didn't have a clue and kept moving from one stupidity to another.

So a Wild West game is not something I am interested in, it's not something Ubisoft will do either I am quite sure but if they care about the period then it will be interesting because the developers find it interesting. If you think the period you are tackling is interesting you will find a way to convey that interest to other people. Even a full Modern Day AC game, I am not interested in that on paper, but if the developers think they have a cool approach to it and makes it interesting then it will be good. Same with World War 2. I am not crazy about "Feudal Japan" mostly because it involves a range of cliches...I mean we don't talk about "Feudal England" game or "Feudal France" game. We say England during the Reign of ---- or War of the Roses and whatnot. In Japan, most people don't name periods, events, nor can they name famous Japanese writers, artists and figures they want to see...they just want their colonialist fantasies satisfied. If Ubisoft are interested in Japan and care about it, then the games will be good.

I don't think Ubisoft is under any obligation to tell the complete history of the world. That's crazy, even for me to ask that. I think they should stick to what excites and interests them, stick to the original concept about doing setting not usually done in games and satisfy and challenge themselves. Don't follow the fans, not even me.

I-Like-Pie45
11-17-2015, 09:30 PM
people shouldn't say that they don't want a WW2 game because that implies that they don't want to see or acknowledge its history and that's bad because its helping contribute to the unfortunate growth of denial about that time periods events in recent events and politics even if these people may not intend it as such.

don't disrespect the dead, make a WW2 game today Ubi and show that this history happened and it mattered.

Monochromeblade
11-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Australia! Ive seen the point raised a couple of times and its a horrid idea. We have no history in this country whatsoever given that its only been in its modern form for only 227 years

http://img.pandawhale.com/152194-jontron-how-dare-you-gif-tumbl-Xbpa.gif

I'm not Australian and I read that article before and Looking at the way 18th century Colonial America and Caribbean was displayed in 3,Liberation,4 and Rogue made feel like Australia will be just as varied in terms of environments .

jasper2308
11-18-2015, 07:04 PM
people shouldn't say that they don't want a WW2 game because that implies that they don't want to see or acknowledge its history and that's bad because its helping contribute to the unfortunate growth of denial about that time periods events in recent events and politics even if these people may not intend it as such.

don't disrespect the dead, make a WW2 game today Ubi and show that this history happened and it mattered.

That's ridiculous. All of Europe knows WW2 happened and acknowledges it, most of all the Germans themselves. I personally don't want a WW2 game because it would be Europe AGAIN and it would be even more modern than Syndicate. I'm just not interested in seeing that setting, I want to go somewhere more exotic and learn something new. Like WW2 as a setting hasn't been overdone anyways, everyone knows it happened and matters, so why don't we expand our horizons to a more obscure period/setting?

Senningiri_GR
11-18-2015, 09:09 PM

Now imagine this in a byzantine setting that you go to Athens or Knossos and solve puzzles, riddles or even tomb missions! Also in such a setting they would have naval again, but in different forms (Greek Fire), were you free roam in the Aegean Sea

thewhitestig
11-19-2015, 10:17 PM
Either of the two world wars. I voted WW1 but I am equally opposed to WW2. Don't want to see the AC franchise going into the 20th century. What I want from AC is to start going back in time. I don't understand why people are voting against the Wild West though. Sooner or later we're gonna run out of places in history that would make a good AC game and the Wild West is not that of a bad setting. It's not a priority for me though.

jellejackhammer
11-19-2015, 10:29 PM
Either of the two world wars. I voted WW1 but I am equally opposed to WW2. Don't want to see the AC franchise going into the 20th century. What I want from AC is to start going back in time. I don't understand why people are voting against the Wild West though. Sooner or later we're gonna run out of places in history that would make a good AC game and the Wild West is not that of a bad setting. It's not a priority for me though.

i heard montreal's game is next to be released so i hope they will take it a few centuries back.
wild west doesn't really stand high on my list not even in the middle,so does any 20th century setting.

cawatrooper9
11-19-2015, 10:40 PM
Sooner or later we're gonna run out of places in history...

By the time that happens, we'll all be so old that the game might be about going into Desmond's memories to relive the exotic events of 2007.

Sushiglutton
11-19-2015, 10:46 PM
I would looove ancient Egypt, but the setting I most want to avoid is Holywood ancient fantasy Egypt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJBnK2wNQSo

Lol wtf is this :D? Where are the Egyptians?

jellejackhammer
11-19-2015, 10:47 PM
By the time that happens, we'll all be so old that the game might be about going into Desmond's memories to relive the exotic events of 2007.

do you remember the theories people had that we were already doing that,and all would be revealed in the end?:p

cawatrooper9
11-19-2015, 10:50 PM
do you remember the theories people had that we were already doing that,and all would be revealed in the end?:p

I do, I thought they were pretty cool. Don't seem too likely now, though, especially with the MD medium continually shifting.

thewhitestig
11-19-2015, 10:52 PM
i heard montreal's game is next to be released so i hope they will take it a few centuries back.
wild west doesn't really stand high on my list not even in the middle,so does any 20th century setting.

I was actually really looking forward to another Ashraf Ismail game since his one was probably the best AC in recent years but according to his twitter he is now working on a new non-AC project.

jellejackhammer
11-19-2015, 11:36 PM
With the movie coming Out,i might place a bet On Spain. However it could be a filler for the movie so dispite wanting Spain as a setting,i would be more comforted if it isn't this time.better to have a main entry with another setting then that of the movie.not post the mid 1800s though

THE_JOKE_KING33
11-19-2015, 11:41 PM
Feudal Japan, it's just not gonna work out well because of bloated expectations

^All of this. I'm fine with a setting in Japan* but all the expectations, especially around the Feudal era, already make it an over hyped game that will never live up to expectations, and it hasn't even been announced (or possibly even worked on).

*personally if it were up to me I'd have it take place right at or close to the beginning of westerners landing in japan and we play as a foreigner sent to set up a branch of the order there...but that's just me of course... *shrug*

Megas_Doux
12-07-2015, 03:56 AM
Interesting thread!!!!

Top picks:

1 Feudal Japan because all of its annoying advocates -the word I was thinking cannot be used here :p- mostly outside these forums for I just can't stand them...According to them, everything and anything in this franchise could and will be miraculously healed 'cause ninjas' . However that fix of 'hope and everywhere happiness' might have opposite effect: Create expectations beyond what humans can tolerate, only for those not to be met in the end....

2 Pre-History in the vein of Far cry Primal, REALLY????????????? Who in their right mind can think that idea is good for a COMPLETE AC GAME??? I could, COULD, buy the idea of a rift like WWI in Syndicate or something similar..But for a FULL game???? Worst idea EVER!

3 Wild West/gold Rush: I've seen the pictures of San Francisco and is a decent city AC wise, plus the near rural landscape could add a nice contrast...The thing is I just don't like age at all to begin with.

Sesheenku
12-07-2015, 04:51 AM
Don't wanna see any of the world wars, the little bit in Syndicate of WW1 was more than enough.

Let's head waaaaaaaaaaaaay back and hit that Feudal Japan or Ancient rome/egypt or China with a real full 3D AC this time.

Consus_E
12-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Any European Revolution

dxsxhxcx
12-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Interesting thread!!!! Top picks: 1 Feudal Japan because all of its annoying advocates -the word I was thinking cannot be used here :p- mostly outside these forums for I just can't stand them...According to them, everything and anything in this franchise could and will be miraculously healed 'cause ninjas' . However that fix of 'hope and everywhere happiness' might have opposite effect: Create expectations beyond what humans can tolerate, only for those not to be met in the end.... IMO the only people who truly awaits for a new AC with anticipation (with a grain of salt, but still do) are the fans who are most invested in this franchise already, the same people whose Ubisoft doesn't give a ****, so I believe it's safe to assume that we're pretty much "vaccinated" against any kind of hype an AC game might create.. :p

Agreed with everything else though

cawatrooper9
12-07-2015, 08:10 PM
You know, I've been thinking... I'm a huge buff of the American Civil War... but I don't want to see it in an AC game. And it's not because I want to finally leave this era, or because I don't want another American game (though those are also valid and accurate points, as well). I just think that, until Ubisoft proves otherwise, they need to stay from games that follow a trail of historically significant events, rather opting to just putting us into a history-filled playground.

Civona
12-07-2015, 10:25 PM
wild west is 100% far cry's territory, as is prehistory.

assassin's creed's main mechanics are based around social cues in public, organized, urban settings. You can adapt that to the countryside for part of the game, but the whole thing can't be about the wilderness or sparingly populated towns.

I-Like-Pie45
12-07-2015, 10:36 PM
A Wild West gameworld could be like Black Flag - a large frontier world that features locations based on the wilderness, small settlements, Native American villages, and army forts. Like Red Redemption, it could probably encompass all the typical settings - arid deserts of the Southwest and Mexico, the grassy plains of the Midwest, and the oppressive winters of the Mormon State. Cities such as San Francisco, Sacramento, Leavenworth, Lawrence, Salt Lake City, Juarez/El Paso, or Tijuana could be used as separate city maps on the scale of Havana/Nassau/Kingston

and besides, social stealth is as good as dead

Sometimes the plug has to be pulled or the family pet euthanized

dxsxhxcx
12-08-2015, 01:01 AM
I don't think they'll ever use the Wild West as a setting for a full game because the comparison with Red Dead Redemption would be inevitable and too embarrassing for AC to take any benefit from it.

I-Like-Pie45
12-08-2015, 01:30 AM
well considering that Red Dead Redemption was just a copy of Gun by Activation only without a budget and infinitely worse I don't see why Ubisoft can't rip off the rip-off

D.I.D.
12-08-2015, 05:38 AM
well considering that Red Dead Redemption was just a copy of Gun by Activation only without a budget and infinitely worse I don't see why Ubisoft can't rip off the rip-off

More recently, Ubi's Call Of Juarez:Gunslinger. Best Wild West game ever, imo. Unfortunately a Wild West AC couldn't be like that one was and it couldn't have its charm, but it could still be great. I'd play it.

[edit] WTF, poll results? How can "Prehistory" be less unpopular than "Wild West"?

Ceelaris
12-11-2015, 04:35 PM
There isn't really a setting I don't WANT to see, so I didn't vote. If they spin it right, any setting can be great and interesting imho.

There are, however, a few settings that I am AFRAID of, because of Ubi potentially ruining it (I'm not saying Ubi regularly ruins anything, just the CHANCE of it). These settings are the ones that I know a lot about in real life, and I would love to see them if they are pulled off great. If they aren't, I really don't want to have an eternal and resounding "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" in my head while playing, reading about AC, or discussing it. So I'm REALLY VERY AMBIVALENT about those...

I wonder how people who intimately knew settings that have already been explored feel about that?

ImaginaryRuins
12-11-2015, 04:48 PM
Feudal Japan.

One thing I want to make it clear is that I am fasinated by Ninjas and Jap swordsmen, but in terms of AC games, that may not work.

1. Ninjas infiltrate at night; AC missions often take place during the day.
2. Ninjas wear black or dark purple specifically when infiltrating at night. They simply cannot wear the same outfit during broad daylight; AC games allow the protagonist to wear whatever we set for them and the protagonists head into action in those outfits.
3. Ninjas are in fact more like intellegence gatherers than assassins. They aren't actually fighters, and would do their best to avoid open conflicts; an AC game is not AC without close combats.

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Feudal Japan.

One thing I want to make it clear is that I am fasinated by Ninjas and Jap swordsmen, but in terms of AC games, that may not work.

1. Ninjas infiltrate at night; AC missions often take place during the day.
2. Ninjas wear black or dark purple specifically when infiltrating at night. They simply cannot wear the same outfit during broad daylight; AC games allow the protagonist to wear whatever we set for them and the protagonists head into action in those outfits.
3. Ninjas are in fact more like intellegence gatherers than assassins. They aren't actually fighters, and would do their best to avoid open conflicts; an AC game is not AC without close combats.

They would still be assassins whether they were in japan or not. I personally want a feudal japan game more than anything else.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 05:05 PM
There isn't really a setting I don't WANT to see, so I didn't vote. If they spin it right, any setting can be great and interesting imho.

There are, however, a few settings that I am AFRAID of, because of Ubi potentially ruining it (I'm not saying Ubi regularly ruins anything, just the CHANCE of it). These settings are the ones that I know a lot about in real life, and I would love to see them if they are pulled off great. If they aren't, I really don't want to have an eternal and resounding "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" in my head while playing, reading about AC, or discussing it. So I'm REALLY VERY AMBIVALENT about those...

I wonder how people who intimately knew settings that have already been explored feel about that?

That's actually a pretty fair point. People are opposed to a wild west or Egypt game because they don't think the landscapes lend themselves well to the series' parkour- but they probably would've thought the same thing for the Caribbean or the Northeast American Frontier. I think that with the right mechanics (and story/ writing/ etc) any setting could technically be amazing- the series has already proven that we don't need to strictly adhere to the urban setting to make a good game.

D.I.D.
12-11-2015, 06:40 PM

There are inaccuracies in Syndicate's London, but a wealth of things that are right. I love the world they made.

I think a lot of the settings people say they want present a problem for the reasons you've said. For example, I reckon most of the people envisaging an Ancient Rome/Greece game are imagining a place that's filled with classy white stone statues affording the place a minimalist aesthetic because that's what they see in museums. If the game is to be accurate, then it will need to reflect the archaeology that shows tiny particles of paint in the pores of the stone: pale pink on the skin, brown on the hair, colours to the cloth and so on. This world was great at many thing, but durable pigments and tasteful colour schemes weren't high on the list. So they were actually pretty gaudy, like this:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--4iCjVlVM--/18ltxx61gvpeejpg.jpghttp://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--rWd4LxtV--/18ltxx61lfrm9jpg.jpghttp://mocochocodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/true-colors-of-greek-statues-apollo.jpg?w=750https://mocochocodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/true-colors-of-greek-statues-6.jpg?w=750

In the same way, lots of people have fantasised here about how they'd climb "every step" of the Great Pyramids in an Ancient Egypt AC, apparently unaware that the structure we see today is the pyramid denuded of its outer coating through age, recycling for other construction, and environmental erosion. The ancient Egyptians would have seen a gold-tipped pyramid with smooth, white limestone faces. I'm not really sure why people wanted to climb them anyway; even as blocks during the construction phase, it'd be a boring climb, and it's not as if you could Leap Of Faith from the top.

The real interest in these settings would be the fascinating stuff that has been overlooked or misrepresented in the popular imagination, and I'm not sure whether people will appreciate the re-education or if they'll inflict their disappointment on the games themselves.

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2015, 06:55 PM
In the same way, lots of people have fantasised here about how they'd climb "every step" of the Great Pyramids in an Ancient Egypt AC, apparently unaware that the structure we see today is the pyramid denuded of its outer coating through age, recycling for other construction, and environmental erosion. The ancient Egyptians would have seen a gold-tipped pyramid with smooth, white limestone faces. I'm not really sure why people wanted to climb them anyway; even as blocks during the construction phase, it'd be a boring climb, and it's not as if you could Leap Of Faith from the top.

The real interest in these settings would be the fascinating stuff that has been overlooked or misrepresented in the popular imagination, and I'm not sure whether people will appreciate the re-education or if they'll inflict their disappointment on the games themselves.

I think it would be terrific if they do go the distance and show that, because it's the one thing video games can do very well. You can't restore the Pyramids to the original style and coating today, but in a game you can make a more accurate simulation certainly.

D.I.D.
12-11-2015, 07:07 PM
I think it would be terrific if they do go the distance and show that, because it's the one thing video games can do very well. You can't restore the Pyramids to the original style and coating today, but in a game you can make a more accurate simulation certainly.

Yeah, I'd love to see it!

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 08:15 PM

Yeah- I can't think off the top of my head much with ways that AC has accurately portrayed historical things that people generally have misconceptions about, but I'm sure it's happened...

VestigialLlama4
12-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Yeah- I can't think off the top of my head much with ways that AC has accurately portrayed historical things that people generally have misconceptions about, but I'm sure it's happened...

The thing is "correcting misconceptions" used to be what AC was about. The idea was to correct earlier media portrayals of a place and period:

AC1
1) Richard the Lionheart speaks English with a French accent. He's probably the most famous medieval King, and whenever he appears in movies (mostly Robin Hood) movies, he's shown to be perfectly English but the truth is that Richard I spent very little time in England, he spent most of his time in the continent, among the French territories that were held by the English (pre-100 Years War that is). He spoke almost entirely in French, and AC1 accurately reflects that.
2) The Asasiyun are overly idealized in the game, but AC deserves credit for avoiding the whole hashish-smoking fantasy, that every other adaptation before reused. And also call them Asasiyun rather than Hashshashin (which has never been uttered once in the entire series to its immense credit).

AC2 - Brotherhood
1) The Sistine Chapel is shown without Michelangelo's ceiling fresco. It takes a lot of guts to restrain themselves from not showing that but Desilets insisted that they stick to it. The architecture in AC2 generally tried to be more period accurate than later games. So you have Rialto Bridge decked in wood rather than the later styles.
2) Leonardo is shown as a young, handsome man. Most people had this idea he was an old beared, dude but AC2 shows him how he was known at this time. A very handsome and charismatic guy. And of course unlike other movies and TV shows, it shows him as a homosexual.
3) Likewise, Machiavelli is portrayed well I would say. I think Caterina Sforza who generally got a raw deal for a long time, benefitted greatly and I think the game portrays her more fairly than earlier historical portrayals.

Of course despite these elements, the game still has that simplistic and binary Medici=Good, Borgia=Bad dynamic, the architecture of Rome in Brotherhood is largely anachronistic and there's a distinct lack of diversity...I mean where are all the Jews who lived in Venice and Rome at this time? It took us till Syndicate for us to get actual Jewish characters and that's a huge shame in my view.

AC Revelations
1) I will say that this game is unique in that it portrays Ottoman Turkey positively. That's rare enough. It avoids the whole fixation on the harem and the like that orientalists latched on to. It gets the basic spirit of the Ottoman Golden Age right. with Suleiman making a case for the multi-culturalism that was a part of Turkey of this time (and which faded over time and sadly disappeared in the 20th Century).

AC3-Black Flag
Black Flag gave us the pro-pirate view that historians have latched on to in recent years. We have a more accurate look at Blackbeard than before. Likewise, AC3 gets the whole tensions of the American Revolution, the compromises and hypocrisies right. There's also this great sense of showing these New World settlements at its infancy.

Syndicate doesn't drastically deconstruct familiar notions about Victorian London so it doesn't qualify. The only radical misconceptions it corrects is showing Karl Marx positively but then Marx is almost never portrayed fictionally.

Unity of course doesn't count. It basically reinforced existing misconceptions and introduced newer ones. Please read A Tale of Two Cities...it's counter-revolutionary and biased but it's at least generally accurate.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Good points- I was thinking from a more aesthetic/architectural view, but good points nonetheless.

And yeah, I'm glad you didn't count Unity there- after all, the rifts were highly anachronistic (even when you accept that you're already in a different era).

BananaBlighter
12-12-2015, 12:17 AM
There are inaccuracies in Syndicate's London, but a wealth of things that are right. I love the world they made.

I think a lot of the settings people say they want present a problem for the reasons you've said. For example, I reckon most of the people envisaging an Ancient Rome/Greece game are imagining a place that's filled with classy white stone statues affording the place a minimalist aesthetic because that's what they see in museums. If the game is to be accurate, then it will need to reflect the archaeology that shows tiny particles of paint in the pores of the stone: pale pink on the skin, brown on the hair, colours to the cloth and so on. This world was great at many thing, but durable pigments and tasteful colour schemes weren't high on the list. So they were actually pretty gaudy, like this:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--4iCjVlVM--/18ltxx61gvpeejpg.jpghttp://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--rWd4LxtV--/18ltxx61lfrm9jpg.jpghttp://mocochocodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/true-colors-of-greek-statues-apollo.jpg?w=750https://mocochocodotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/true-colors-of-greek-statues-6.jpg?w=750

Super slide.

I think it's important that they include little historically accurate details like these. We can truly feel like we are experiencing history, especially if it conflicts with our previous beliefs and misconceptions.