PDA

View Full Version : Protagonist Rankings

ModernWaffle
11-14-2015, 01:43 PM
In writing some of my recent posts, it got me thinking whether the quality of protagonists have declined in the latest entries (i.e. Altair, Ezio, Connor and Edward as a collective group being better than Shay, Arno, Jacob and Evie). Therefore I'm interested to see where people personally rank each assassin (or templar in Shay's case I guess :p) in order of preference. For me, it has to be:

1. Connor
2. Shay
3. Edward
4. Ezio
5. Evie
6. Jacob
7. Altair
8. Arno

I guess I put Connor and Shay at the top since they seemed to be the most conflicted in their respective journeys and appear to experience the most growth in their narrative arcs. Edward is a close contender for 2nd place due to this very reason but my personal preference places him after Shay. Ezio no doubt also experiences significant (if not more) growth but I think it's only fair to say that this happens after his three games so I'm trying to balance the ranking with this in mind.

I like Jacob and Evie, but honestly they're just stock characters to me and hence why they rate lower. I mean they hardly change whatsoever by the end of the game and I can't see either as a 'grandmaster' as such.

I have to admit that I think Altair deserves more credit and he is certainly a complicated character, but his lack of an (obvious) human side really kills it for me - Connor is very similar mind you, but his goal of protecting his people as well as the Homestead missions really fleshed out his human side whereas we didn't get this in AC1 for Altair - hence why I thought Revelations was great for showing more of what Altair was really like.

And now we get to Arno... truthfully speaking I don't dislike him but when compared to the other protagonists he's so bland and boring. I'm aware that Arno and Elise are meant to have genuine love but the way their story is played out just made it seem like it was a one-sided thing with a 'blind' Arno constantly chasing Elise. It doesn't help that once Elise is dead, Arno's resolve seems to be completely lost (until after the events of Dead Kings) giving me the impression that it wasn't his intentions of fulfilling his assassin responsibilities that drove him (supported by how late he re-joins the brotherhood), but simply Elise - who never wanted his help in the first place. Similarly, I can hardly imagine Arno being a 'grandmaster'.

Edit: Wasn't really considering secondary protagonists since most of the time they feel under-developed given that they don't have their own full-fledged games but if I were to include them into the rankings as well:

1. Connor
2. Shay
3. Edward
4. Haytham
5. Ezio
6. Evie
7. Shao Jun
8. Jacob
9. Altair
10. Arno / Aveline / Adewale

Don't know Nikolai or Arbaaz that well so not ranking them.

VestigialLlama4
11-14-2015, 01:57 PM
Similarly, I can hardly imagine Arno being a 'grandmaster'.

I don't think Assassin protagonists should necessarily be "Grandmasters"...like Connor is not really a grandmaster kind of guy, he's basically thrust into that role by circumstances and he mostly relies on Achilles for advice.

And in any case, in AC1, Altair is not a Grandmaster-type, nor is Ezio for most of AC2 and Edward Kenway in Black Flag is certainly not a grandmaster in that story either.

Anyway, my favorite characters are:
1) Altair
2) Connor
3) Edward
4) Ezio
5) Adewale
6) Evie and Jacob Frye

Don't care for Arno or Shay at all.

BananaBlighter
11-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Edward
Altair
Jacob and Evie (they don't work if they're not together)
Connor
Ezio
Shay
Arno

Pandassin
11-14-2015, 02:36 PM
Mine are:

1. Edward
2. Evie
3. Jacob
4. Arno
5. Connor
6. Ezio
7. Shay

I haven't played AC1, so I can't put Altair down. I'd put Jacob and Evie together since I can't have one without the other, but Evie is my favourite twin :D

RaggedTyper
11-14-2015, 02:42 PM
1) Jacob and Evie - fun, charismatic, charming. The first protagonist/s in a while that I actually want to see more of.

2) Ezio - so much has been said. He's had the most games so is extremely well developed. We saw every side to him, his best and worst. A truly great character.

3) Connor - just a good guy all around with passion, conviction and a love for others. Not really an Assassin but still a great character.

4) Altair - a great Assassin, probably the best. Perhaps too ruthless and so obsessed with the Creed he values above all, even family.

5) Adewale - bland. His dlc was too story driven and not character driven enough so we didn't get to see into his soul, I think. He should have been the main protagonist in Black Flag as at least he was an actual Assassin unlike the swashbuckling idiot we got instead.

6) Aveline - bland and offensively written. The writers didn't write anything beyond her race and gender and we're so hung up on that they forgot to write an actual person.

7) Edward - despicable sociopath and didn't become an Assassin until post game where he was taken out by some random blokes. Says it all really.

8) Shay - deeply stupid. His "arc" (if you can even call it that) makes me think the writers completely forgot AC1. Any Assassin with half a brain that went through what he did would have known that Achilles broke one of the tenets of the Creed and thus would simply a) leave the Brotherhood for good or b) start their own or c) look for other Brotherhoods in other countries to help him take down Achilles. Not side with an enemy you've known to be deplorable all your life and then go on to kill innocents when you claim that was why you left the Brotherhood in the first place.

9) Arno - selfish and not really an Assassin. A bad Ezio clone.

Danny_rx7
11-14-2015, 02:59 PM
1. Ezio
2. Edward
3. Evie
4. Jacob
5. Haytham
6. Altair
7. Shay
8. Arno
9. Connor

Connor was so booooring to me. Or just voice actor?!

BUMCFKSZY
11-14-2015, 03:26 PM
1. Connor
2.Edward
3. Haytham
4. Adewale
5. Altair
6. Ezio (Revelations)
7. Desmond
8. Shay
9. Aveline
10.Arno
11. Ezio (AC 2 and ACB)
12. Floating Tablet
13. Evie
14. Jacob

Sorrosyss
11-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Evie Frye
Edward Kenway
Haytham Kenway
Ezio Auditore
Altair
Connor
Shao Jun
Desmond
Jacob Frye
Shay
Aveline
Adewale
Arno
Me the Floating Tablet

ModernWaffle
11-14-2015, 04:42 PM
1. Connor
2.Edward
3. Haytham
4. Adewale
5. Altair
6. Ezio (Revelations)
7. Desmond
8. Shay
9. Aveline
10.Arno
11. Ezio (AC 2 and ACB)
12. Floating Tablet
13. Evie
14. Jacob

Lol, you must really despise the twins if they're beaten by a non-talking, lifeless floating tablet ;)

Xstantin
11-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Edward
Connor
Haytham
Altair
Rev Ezio
Arno

Evie and Jacob would be high up somewhere, if listed together; not gonna bother with Shay at all I disliked his whole story arc and voice acting so much

dimbismp
11-14-2015, 05:58 PM
GODzio
Edward
Altair
Jacob&Evie
Connor
Arno
Shay

Assassin_M
11-14-2015, 07:18 PM
1- Altair/Connor
2- Edward
3- Adewale
4- Arno
5- Haytham
6- Aveline
7- Desmond
8- Evie/Jacob
9- Shay
10- Ezio

crusader_prophet
11-14-2015, 07:34 PM
1. Altair
2. Shay
3. Ezio
4. Connor
5. Haytham
6. Aveline
7. Edward
8. Arno
9. Desmond
10. Adewale

Haven't got time to finish Syndicate yet to rank Evie and Jacob.

I-Like-Pie45
11-14-2015, 07:46 PM
I don't think its nice to play favorites

Its how wars start, and wars are mean

Namikaze_17
11-14-2015, 08:32 PM
1) Altaïr
2)Connor/Haytham
3)Edward
4)Adéwalé/Desmond
5)Shay
6) Arno
7) Ezio
8) Aveline

Won't say anything about the twins yet - my mind is still trying to decipher them.