PDA

View Full Version : AC I unused audio files

Assassin_M
11-12-2015, 11:40 PM
Well, it looks like AC II wasn't the birthplace for cool one liners after an assassination in the Assassin's native language.

https://soundcloud.com/allsoundsasscreed/robert-assassination

"Not all that we wish is easy to obtain"

https://soundcloud.com/allsoundsasscreed/tamir-assassination-hidden (This one's pronunciation is a little rough, I don't know why)

"Souls are sacrificed for the sake of liberty"

ze_topazio
11-13-2015, 12:05 AM
http://orig05.deviantart.net/ec3e/f/2015/097/0/d/memetastic_by_droctogonadonkey-d5btei7.png

Was that only found recently?

Assassin_M
11-13-2015, 12:14 AM
http://orig05.deviantart.net/ec3e/f/2015/097/0/d/memetastic_by_droctogonadonkey-d5btei7.png

Was that only found recently?

Surprisingly, it was found 8 months ago.

ze_topazio
11-13-2015, 12:20 AM
8 years to find, better hidden than an Assassin.

Consus_E
11-13-2015, 02:39 AM
Yet another reason to ask why Ubi made Philip Shahbaz use an American accent in AC1.

Assassin_M
11-13-2015, 02:52 AM
Yet another reason to ask why Ubi made Philip Shahbaz use an American accent in AC1.
Because one fake accent is no better than another fake accent.

Consus_E
11-13-2015, 03:01 AM
Because one fake accent is no better than another fake accent.

At least one would have been authentic... One of things that made the Ezio trilogy cool was the fact that they tried (and I really do mean TRIED) to have authentic Italian accents. It made the setting and characters feel more distinct from other games. Altair having an American accent doesn't even make sense in the context of the game, the other characters sounded much more appropriate. And don't get me started on Unity!

Assassin_M
11-13-2015, 03:14 AM
At least one would have been authentic... One of things that made the Ezio trilogy cool was the fact that they tried (and I really do mean TRIED) to have authentic Italian accents. It made the setting and characters feel more distinct from other games. Altair having an American accent doesn't even make sense in the context of the game, the other characters sounded much more appropriate. And don't get me started on Unity!
But authentic in what sense? In the sense of what a non-middle easterner THINKS a middle easterner should sound like? Why exactly? Lets examine the context of accents: They're distinctive modes of pronunciation. Would an Italian have "an Italian accent" if he's speaking Italian? Would an Arab have an Arabic accent if he's speaking Arabic?

A Middle Eastern accent is no more authentic for Altair than an American accent. It shouldn't make a difference what accent is being spoken if the language is not English -- What should matter is the actor's mastery of the language of the Assassin. Your preference not withstanding, you can say that having a middle eastern accent is your preference, but it's simply NOT authentic. Phillip Shahbaz and his American accent are 1000% more authentic than Cas Anvar and his cringy middle eastern accent. Phillip can actually speak the language.

I-Like-Pie45
11-13-2015, 03:27 AM
Da Iron Sheik shoulda voiced Altair. Meatloaf lemonade, dis aint no joke.

Consus_E
11-13-2015, 04:44 AM
But authentic in what sense? In the sense of what a non-middle easterner THINKS a middle easterner should sound like? Why exactly? Lets examine the context of accents: They're distinctive modes of pronunciation. Would an Italian have "an Italian accent" if he's speaking Italian? Would an Arab have an Arabic accent if he's speaking Arabic?

A Middle Eastern accent is no more authentic for Altair than an American accent. It shouldn't make a difference what accent is being spoken if the language is not English -- What should matter is the actor's mastery of the language of the Assassin. Your preference not withstanding, you can say that having a middle eastern accent is your preference, but it's simply NOT authentic. Phillip Shahbaz and his American accent are 1000% more authentic than Cas Anvar and his cringy middle eastern accent. Phillip can actually speak the language.

Fair points. I'm inclined to agree.

cawatrooper9
11-13-2015, 03:15 PM
Whoa, VERY cool find!

I wonder if these were tabled because of the developers thought that it might alarm gamers. Unfortunate, but likely- we've seen enough Islamophobia in reaction to the game, even with a relatively American sounding Altair.

Farlander1991
11-13-2015, 07:17 PM
Well, Altair says 'Nothing is true, everything is permitted' in Arabic at the end, I'm not sure that was exactly the issue, I think it has more to do with the character arc. Like, judging by the file name, "Soul are sacrificed for the sake of liberty" is for Tamir's assassination. Come on, Altair we have in the game would never say something like that at that moment.

Consus_E
11-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Well, Altair says 'Nothing is true, everything is permitted' in Arabic at the end, I'm not sure that was exactly the issue, I think it has more to do with the character arc. Like, judging by the file name, "Soul are sacrificed for the sake of liberty" is for Tamir's assassination. Come on, Altair we have in the game would never say something like that at that moment.

Sounds more like something Connor would say.

Farlander1991
11-13-2015, 07:34 PM

Yeah, it does. Well, it's something Altair would say also, but only closer to the end of AC. I guess that's why they took this stuff out and kept only the 'Nothing is true' one as bookending his arc.

The thing is, these lines could also be some early recordings based on some older ideas, to have something in game. AC1 didn't use any kind of detailed actor motion capture for cutscenes like AC3 and the rest, so changing story elements was only a matter of voice recording rather than refilming stuff.

Sorrosyss
11-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Interesting find, thanks for sharing. It always was funny how the Animus wouldn't always translate some language, but of course it was always used for narrative impact in those particular scenes.

AdrianJacek
11-15-2015, 06:02 PM
"May the Faceless One grant you the peace you claimed to seek."
"It is better to have faith in something, than none at all..."
"Your words may have been sincere, but that does not make them true."
"Goodbye, father."
Sooo gooood....
Really sucks Arno didn't get a chance to say some native tongue "closing statements" during Memory Corridor scenes. A terrible idea removing the Corridors, it was! Iconic they are and stay in the series they should.
Hopefully the next non-English protagonist will actually have some. And please stop milking Requescat in Pace....