PDA

View Full Version : Serious question: Expectations vs. Realizations?

El Turo
03-31-2004, 01:59 AM
I just got done with a 2-3 hour stint in the Warclouds server. I want to post some statistics of my <gunstat as well as some observational anecdotal evidence here and ask you folks if my expectations are out of whack versus my realizations.

We'll begin with my last dogfight with a Ki-84 this evening while I was flying my P40.

If I told you that I scored 6% gunnery percentage on multiple passes, landing 450 rounds on target, only to see this Ki-84 pull several consecutive maximum performance manuevers with little to no visible damage..

Would that be outside of the envelope of what you would expect to happen in such a situation in reality?

What if I also told you there were three other aircraft pouring ammo into the Ki84 simultaneously within my engagement of said bandit... landing cannon and MG rounds only to watch him fly on? (with no aparent physical damage)

Would THAT be outside of the envelope of what you might expect to happen?

Despite absorbing well over a thousand rounds of various calibre ammunition... in the end, the Ki84 in question only died from a deflection shot that achieved a pilot kill and had no loss of control surfaces or wings.

If my expectations of what should happen to an aircraft when exposed to such volume of fire are out of line, I'd like someone to tell me why.

Was the Ki-84 armored beyond any other WWII era fighter?

If it is correct, then that's all I need to know. If it isn't correct, then let's get it right, shall we? I'm all for historical accuracy, and I'll freely admit a marginal working knowledge of the Ki-84..

Anyone have something documenting the Ki-84's legendary ability to absorb damage?

Respectfully submitted,

~T.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

El Turo
03-31-2004, 01:59 AM
I just got done with a 2-3 hour stint in the Warclouds server. I want to post some statistics of my &lt;gunstat as well as some observational anecdotal evidence here and ask you folks if my expectations are out of whack versus my realizations.

We'll begin with my last dogfight with a Ki-84 this evening while I was flying my P40.

If I told you that I scored 6% gunnery percentage on multiple passes, landing 450 rounds on target, only to see this Ki-84 pull several consecutive maximum performance manuevers with little to no visible damage..

Would that be outside of the envelope of what you would expect to happen in such a situation in reality?

What if I also told you there were three other aircraft pouring ammo into the Ki84 simultaneously within my engagement of said bandit... landing cannon and MG rounds only to watch him fly on? (with no aparent physical damage)

Would THAT be outside of the envelope of what you might expect to happen?

Despite absorbing well over a thousand rounds of various calibre ammunition... in the end, the Ki84 in question only died from a deflection shot that achieved a pilot kill and had no loss of control surfaces or wings.

If my expectations of what should happen to an aircraft when exposed to such volume of fire are out of line, I'd like someone to tell me why.

Was the Ki-84 armored beyond any other WWII era fighter?

If it is correct, then that's all I need to know. If it isn't correct, then let's get it right, shall we? I'm all for historical accuracy, and I'll freely admit a marginal working knowledge of the Ki-84..

Anyone have something documenting the Ki-84's legendary ability to absorb damage?

Respectfully submitted,

~T.

Callsign "Turo" in IL2:FB & WWIIOL

Fehler
03-31-2004, 03:35 AM
All I can say is that we will all have to wait for the patch. What you have seen has been documented and sent to Oleg and co. Let's give them some time to sort it out and see how things are once the patch comes.

I know it is frustrating, as I flew on the same server last night and had my 190 revi knocked out in 9 of 10 deaths. One time I saw the 50 cal bullet hit my wingtip and lost aileron and revi at the same time. (Nice magic bullet, huh?)

Anyways, the patch will bring changes, I am sure of it.

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/FehlerSig.gif
http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/9JG54.html

SeaFireLIV
03-31-2004, 03:39 AM
It`s too hard to say. there can be so many factors... True, it is harder to bring down aircraft, but Lag may have played a part when online. A pity you don`t have a recorded track. From your example the KI-84 sounds like a flying tank.

PikeBishop
03-31-2004, 07:58 AM
It's very odd that we get these wildly differing accounts because when I fly with, or against KI84's both on and offline the kill ratio's don't seem to be like that to me.
What I have noticed is it seems that I have to use a lot more ammunition to bring someone down if I have infinite ammunition on......do you use this option??

regards,

SLP

geetarman
03-31-2004, 08:14 AM
I don't know what is occuring either, but I was blasted out of the sky last night while flying a 38 by KI-84c's. Their cannons were very hard-hitting.

However, when I jumoed in a 84c and was shot at by another 84c and hit multiple times, my plane flew on. Something's up.