PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that a Cold War AC is possible ?

RA503
11-10-2015, 11:41 AM
This tread is to discuss if is possible we see a AC in this setting one day and your opinion about a AC in this setting.

in the intro of Syndicate the first thing we see is a footage of John F Kennedy similar to the one we see in the beginning of Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater

This mean that a Cold War AC is a possibility.your thoughts ?

ze_topazio
11-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Everything is possible.

dxsxhxcx
11-10-2015, 01:42 PM
the question you should be asking yourself is: Are you willing to sacrifice sword combat, turn AC into a 3rd person shooter and give away some of your freedom while free roaming to have a cold war game?

RA503
11-10-2015, 01:45 PM
the question you should be asking yourself is: Are you willing to sacrifice sword combat, turn AC into a 3rd person shooter and give away some of your freedom while free roaming to have a cold war game?

Next year we will have a Old West game,everything is possible now,and the car excuse in Black Flag is already BS because we have carriages now and it's the same...

The question is,if is awesome and marketable why not ?

dxsxhxcx
11-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Next year we will have a Old West game,everything is possible now,and the car excuse in Black Flag is already BS because we have carriages now and it's the same...

The question is,if is awesome and marketable why not ?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but older settings make possible for me to immerse myself easily and "give a pass" to certain things that would be ridiculous to ignore in a modern setting, many people keep asking for a full MD game for example, but I don't think they realize that have the same freedom (to climb buildings and free roam) that we had during Ezio's or Altair's time would be impossible in a modern setting, the same goes for sword fighting, you don't take a sword to a gunfight, the franchise would lose its identity (that IMO is already weak as it is) and I'm not willing to sacrifice that to have a modern setting and in the process another 3rd person shooter, I'll play GTA, Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid that do a much better job at this department than AC will ever do if that's the case..

Goxxi
11-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Oh Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater was 1 of my 3 favoritre games ever (besides Assaain's Creed series and Mass Effect triology) , I mean other MGS games were great too but MGS3 was really somthing spectacular , just couse of that epic atmosphere of cold war.

Generally period of cold war is totally absent from the world of video games , honestly have no idea why but It's period with so much potential for a good story and game.
I do not know what's going on with a Rockstar's project Agent that was announced several years ago.

But when it comes to Assassin's Creed games I think It's better that they keep to the historical periods (cold war is a way too modern) , eventually they could make some part of the game set in cold war as modern day part , but generally I think period of the cold war would be much better in form of some novel or comic book.

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2015, 05:17 PM
This tread is to discuss if is possible we see a AC in this setting one day and your opinion about a AC in this setting.

in the intro of Syndicate the first thing we see is a footage of John F Kennedy similar to the one we see in the beginning of Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater

This mean that a Cold War AC is a possibility.your thoughts ?

The Cold War was an era where absolutely nothing happened. All the spy stories we see in John le Carre, James Bond and whatnot...none of that happened. So I don't really think there's any point to making an AC game in this era.

To truly do a Cold War movie you can't tell many interesting stories from an American point of view. The real Cold War happened behind the Iron Curtain and most of the stuff that happened there didn't involve America or American agents at all. Spielberg made an excellent film called BRIDGE OF SPIES which showed us what the Cold War was actually like, mostly a bunch of old dudes making d--k moves against each other at least as far as America and Russia were concerned. The real Cold War happened in Cuba, in Latin America, in Vietnam and South Africa. Not in America or Russia. So far only one movie has really captured that. This one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_(miniseries) about the Terrorist Carlos the Jackal.

Likewise, I don't really see the American Assassins and Kennedy being pals. I see the Assassins being pals with Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, the Black Panthers and the antiwar movement. If they were to do an AC game set during the Vietnam war, logically it would have the Assassins siding with the Vietnamese against the Americans. And believe me....there is no way Ubisoft will make that game, their offices will be burnt down by Americans if they do that.

The real problem with doing any 20th Century era is that it's recent, it's one thing to say that So-And-So in the 1500s is a Templar, its quite another to say that in the present day. Also you will need likenesses, rights to popular music and movies, and you would need to show brand labels. So it's pretty impossible to make a satisfying AC game in an era like the 60s.

SixKeys
11-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Can it be done? Sure.

Should it be done? No.

I-Like-Pie45
11-10-2015, 06:24 PM
John F. Kennedy was a womanizer who drunkenly ignored all his Presidential duties in favor of cheating on Jackie and nearly started a nuclear war. He was not a real American hero like Richard Nixon.

The Assassins would ally with this homie, not JFK.

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2015, 07:13 PM
John F. Kennedy was a womanizer who drunkenly ignored all his Presidential duties in favor of cheating on Jackie and nearly started a nuclear war. He was not a real American hero like Richard Nixon.

The Assassins would ally with this homie, not JFK.

Preach On Pie...Richard Nixon is truly Gotham's savior not that Irish mediocrity...

RA503
11-10-2015, 07:37 PM
VestigialLlama4 thanks for the information, I don't have though that is so hard to made a game in Cold War,but as we see in Metal Gear all games of the Big Boss life happens outside US,3 is in a fictional forest in URSS,Peace Walker in Latin America,and Phanton Pain in Afgahnistan and Africa,all of them we are a American that in the last two game play as Terrorist side,I think if one day they have the courage to do that,will be the same,the American Agent we plays will be fictional,Since All playable Assassins of the series was fictional in the first place.

They said that the Chronicles games was setups for possibles games in their respecttives settings,I thing that AC Chronicles Russia will be a perfect Setup for a game in URSS in the future(But we playing with a fictional American like Snake)...

'' If they were to do an AC game set during the Vietnam war, logically it would have the Assassins siding with the Vietnamese against the Americans. And believe me....there is no way Ubisoft will make that game, their offices will be burnt down by Americans if they do that.''

But in Metal Gear we support the Costa Rica Revolution and Mujaadeen and They don't Nuke Konami...

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2015, 07:58 PM
VestigialLlama4 thanks for the information, I don't have though that is so hard to made a game in Cold War,but as we see in Metal Gear all games of the Big Boss life happens outside US,3 is in a fictional forest in URSS,Peace Walker in Latin America,and Phanton Pain in Afgahnistan and Africa,all of them we are a American that in the last two game play as Terrorist side,I think if one day they have the courage to do that,will be the same,the American Agent we plays will be fictional,Since All playable Assassins of the series was fictional in the first place.

Then the big question that needs to be asked is if Metal Gear Solid's Snake Eater has already done all those Cold War cliches well (and it did do it well) why should AC enter tried and true territory rather than do something unique. The 20th Century is a big place and it's becoming clear by recent research that the Cold War was largely hot air dreamt up by Americans to justify their defense spending and suppressing dissent at home (HUAC, Civil Rights Movements and later Gay Rights Movements). It might be more interesting to make a movie around the latter than to indulge in some silly fantasy (that's what MGS is there for after all).

They said that the Chronicles games was setups for possibles games in their respecttives settings,I thing that AC Chronicles Russia will be a perfect Setup for a game in URSS in the future(But we playing with a fictional American like Snake)...

Well the AC policy is generally have a local protagonist in the setting. So if you are going to Vietnam you should have a Vietnamese hero. It might be more interesting to tell a story in Vietnam in the 50s, before the war. You can do it like the movie The Quiet American.

In any case, what writers said about the Chronicles games should be taken with a great deal of salt.

But in Metal Gear we support the Costa Rica Revolution and Mujaadeen and They don't Nuke Konami...

Where do you support the Mujahideen in Phantom Pain?

RA503
11-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Remember the Honey Bee mission when we have to recover a weapon to help the Mujahideen destroy Soviet Helicopters ? but the only Mujadeen that actually appear in the game is this guy from the same Honey Bee mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BePzbhH8WeY

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2015, 08:15 PM

That really does not count. Throwaway missions and weirdos is not what matters.

To really be subversive you have to actually be subversive and challenge the audience's identification.

cawatrooper9
11-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Coldwar setting would be okay in my opinion, if done right: but it would give us the opportunity to introduce a feature that I've been wanting to see for a long time: a more global AC game.

Sure, we got some globetrotting in ACR, ACIII, ACL, and a tiny bit in ACIV, and while it was all cool, it wasn't all that flushed out. I'd love to see fully formed areas all across the globe. Maybe St. Petersburg, Berlin, perhaps a more modern Caribbean during the missile crisis, a "Frontier" area in Vietnam... Something that really increases the scope of the game.

Of course, this could be done in other settings as well, but I think it would work great during the Cold War.

RA503
11-10-2015, 08:38 PM
I thought that because Darby was playing the BIg Boss MGS games recently and commenting on tweeter,and now we have that reference in Syndicate's beginning,maybe will be very late but one day we will have, 2018 ?(possible ending date of Juno's saga by Assassins Intel of Unity...) I think is more probably and easy to make tham a WW 2,that Summer of love don't be only a joke after all...

Another thing that made me think that is that talk about Atom split on Juno,I think that she plan to cause a nuclear war after recover his body to plug all humankind in helix.

CalgaryJay
11-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Preach On Pie...Richard Nixon is truly Gotham's savior not that Irish mediocrity...

Nixon? Please..did you people learn nothing from when we voted him President of Earth?
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/en.futurama/images/9/99/Robot_Nixon_body.png/revision/latest?cb=20090609173401

And I'm personally not down with a Cold War setting, primarily because it's way too recent. Personally I think even Victorian England is too recent for me (though that's not a knock on the game, love it. Just saying I want to go back to a pre-firearms era if I had my choice).

Also I think that could be sticky, especially with Putin's Russia ruffling the Western world's feathers lately. In the making of Syndicate videos, it was mentioned the devs decided to make the bad guys fictional targets, so you didn't offend the living great-great grandsons/daughters of the deceased. If you're doing Cold War, it's even a closer connection, as it'd be the subject's own kids - or even the subject themselves, depending who you're talking about - who's still living. And then who's the "bad guys"? I just don't see it working.

I-Like-Pie45
11-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Nixon was a true bro, he don't give a fly 'bout what folks say 'bout him. He don't give in da face of peer pressure and Watergate slander by the Man, just like the forefathers Run-D.M.C. preached, he an inspiration to me and all Gs everywhere. He even got the troops outta 'Nam so the brothas didn't haveta die fo' the Man's War no more. He should be the Assassin Mentor in the game, yo, 'cause that's how much of a hero he is. Nixon was a better Prez than Washington and Jefferson, preach!

CalgaryJay
11-10-2015, 09:47 PM
He lost me when he wept like a baby on national T.V., quit being the Prez, then just got in a helicopter and flew away forever like a softie.

Oh, and how ever since the Watergate scandal, every time there's some controversy in pop culture or pro sports, the media ties the word "gate" to the end of it...like that was actually part of the controversy, and not just the name of the hotel. Spygate, Deflategate, Bountygate...what does that even mean?? Damn you Nixon!

Bill Clinton though; now you're cooking with gas! He wouldn't even declare war on other leaders to win, he'd just shame them into defeat by nailing their wives. A true hero.

VestigialLlama4
11-11-2015, 03:55 AM
Nixon? Please..did you people learn nothing from when we voted him President of Earth?
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/en.futurama/images/9/99/Robot_Nixon_body.png/revision/latest?cb=20090609173401

Well when he was actual President of America, he started the EPA, ended the Gold Standard and likewise proposed the first national healthcare program. It's not for nothing that Noam Chomsky himself says that "Nixon was in many ways, the last liberal president".

Nixon was all in all a more consequential and important President than John F. Kennedy who was basically an overrated blunderer of the first order who nearly destroyed the world.

In the making of Syndicate videos, it was mentioned the devs decided to make the bad guys fictional targets, so you didn't offend the living great-great grandsons/daughters of the deceased.

Well three of the Templars are Historical Figures - John Elliotson, David Brewster and James Brudenell.

CalgaryJay
11-11-2015, 06:36 AM
Pfft..the man probably never drank a Duff in his life.
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/screenshots/episodes/9f14/9f14_042.jpg

In all seriousness, with the way you guys were talking about it, especially the other guy with all the "yo dawg's", I just assumed Nixon stuff had become a meme on here and you were just joking around. Hence my jokes. I haven't really been around since the Unity release. I'm not American so I really don't have strong feelings one way or the other about Mr. Watergate. Don't have a dog in this fight.

VestigialLlama4
11-11-2015, 06:54 AM
Pfft..the man probably never drank a Duff in his life.
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/content/screenshots/episodes/9f14/9f14_042.jpg

In all seriousness, with the way you guys were talking about it, especially the other guy with all the "yo dawg's", I just assumed Nixon stuff had become a meme on here and you were just joking around. Hence my jokes. I haven't really been around since the Unity release. I'm not American so I really don't have strong feelings one way or the other about Mr. Watergate. Don't have a dog in this fight.

Nah...I just tend to take things seriously that's all.

CalgaryJay
11-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Haha fair enough, it happens.

If there's one thing I can appreciate taking too seriously, it's history/anthropology. For further proof, see my argument a couple years ago leading up to the Black Flag release (when speculation was it'd still be Connor again) when someone wanted him to have a sweet pirate beard, and I was railing on about how that's inaccurate because First Nations peoples can't really grow facial hair like that, and thus was totally against it...despite the fact it's just, you know, a video game.

I-Like-Pie45
11-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Noah Watts, Connor's Native American actor of Crow descent, with a handlebar stache. (https://instagram.com/p/2hDGpJxfHk/)

Ely S. Parker, highest ranking Native American to serve on the Union side in the Civil War, of Seneca Descent with facial hair.
http://www.jasoncolavito.com/uploads/3/7/5/9/3759274/5116209_orig.png

Like the lovely adventurewomen <3 xoxoxo <3 educated me, the facial hair thing is just a stereotype. Unless Connor had all his facial hairs plucked out, he could grow a beard if he wanted to.

CalgaryJay
11-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Oh I kmow they're capable of some facial hair, I didn't mean smooth like a baby's face or anything. They just can't grow legit thick, beard style facial hair like Europeans/Africans/Western Asians can. Even in that pic you posted, look how sparse its grown in, especially the goatee. That's what my facial hair looked like when i was like 15. And that man looks like he's in his 50's.

I live in the western Canadian prairies, there's tons of First Nations peoples around here (mostly descendents of the Blackfoot and Blood tribes), I see them every day. I live under 10 minutes from the T'suu T'ina reserve, I had hockey tryouts every year at a rink called Sarcee Seven Chiefs Sportsplex, right on the reserve. In all that time I've never seen a single one with a thick, full beard. Heck, I've had friends who were First Nations, one even used to make fun of himself for not being able to grow any.

Try to find a pic on the internet of a true, full-blooded person of First Nations descent with a Blackbeard style, full beard. I'm telling you, you won't be able to dude.

EDIT: Oh, and also unlike Europeans/Africans/Western Asians, First Nations peoples tend to not suffer from male pattern baldness. I'd happily sacrifice my beard-growing capabilities for that follicular security any day.

CalgaryJay
11-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Oh snap, something just dawned on me regarding all the Connor potential beardo talk. You're right, he probably could have grown a beard...because his father was Haytham Kenway. He wasn't full-blooded. Haha how did I not realize that before??

VestigialLlama4
11-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Oh snap, something just dawned on me regarding all the Connor potential beardo talk. You're right, he probably could have grown a beard...because his father was Haytham Kenway. He wasn't full-blooded. Haha how did I not realize that before??

Well Haytham was quite clean shaven himself. Edward was the Shaggy one in the family with a blonde beard and later sideburns.

CalgaryJay
11-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Yep, agreed. I just meant I completely forgot Connor's father was European. The way the devs made adult Connor look, he looked 100% First Nations to me. Kinda forgot about the fact dad was not.

Sorrosyss
11-14-2015, 04:27 PM
It would be getting very modern by that point. But I'd still love to see a Russian game, though I think the Revolution is a far more interesting setting. Most Cold War stories are traditionally told from the American side, so it would be great to see 'the other side' for a change.