PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Enemy Uniforms(Aesthetically)

cawatrooper9
11-09-2015, 11:26 PM
Playing through the whole series now, and something really struck me about the first game. It seems as if many (if not all) of the targets in the first game have their own unique outfits for their guards, separate from the more generic city guards. This got me thinking: which uniform, from each game, was your favorite?

AC1: Jubhair's guards were cool, but I think Talal's "ninja-esque" guards take away this category.

AC2: I liked the Forli guards- if not because I didn't have time to get tired of their green uniforms.

ACB: Again, I'd say any of the Spanish or French guards, since I got tired of everyone else being red.

ACR: Gotta love the Janissaries. One of my favorite enemy outfits in the series.

ACIII: I'm a sucker for the traditional lobsterback uniform.

ACL: I gotta be honest, no enemy types really come to memory from this game...

ACIV: I actually really liked the Assassin uniforms- and since you come into contact with them a bit, that counts, right?

ACRo: The upper tier bounty hunter guys- forgot what they're called, but they take the cake here.

ACU: The guys with tophats who dance around and throw stun grenades. My fiance and I call them "fancymen."

ACS: I love the Beefeater uniform, and I was really looking forward to fighting them... but the game made me feel guilty about it, most of the time.

Xstantin
11-10-2015, 12:17 AM
ACIII has the coolest ones imo

Otherwise,

AC: Templars who actually look like Templars :p

ACII: same, I really liked Forli in general

ACB: Not a big fan of papal guards, although I guess they looked awesomescary back then

ACR: Jannissaries, the masks were a bit over the top (I guess it was done as a link to papal guards)

ACIII: cool outfits all over the place. Red coats are more memorable though

AC BF: least interesting looks for the whole series imo, especially because of copypaste recolors

AC Rogue: barely remember it, redcoats didn't look as good as ACIII but I hate yellow assassins look

AC Unity: those fancy men are "seekers" :), I like defender's design (guys with spears) the most; I liked Germain's end game occulty look (if it counts as uniform)

ACS: I think Templar uniformy look is nice - these purple accents are awesome, just like Unity's ceremonial robe craziness. Rooks and their green-yellow suck

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2015, 02:40 AM
I love the Jaegers of AC3, they looked honestly menacing in silhouette and profile and they pull off the bottom-face mask far better than Aiden Pearce and Shay Cormac do. The minute they saw you, they went into hyper alert. The Janisarries I liked a lot as well.

I really liked the outfits and design of the Vatican guards in AC2, those striped doublets. And Savonarola's guards dressed in black.

You are right that AC1 has different costumed enemy guards. Each representing a faction. You had Saracens, Templars, Teutonic Knights, British Knights, Knights Hospitalers, private henchman of Jubair, Talal and Abul Nuqood.

I liked the Teutonic Knights best in that.

SixKeys
11-10-2015, 03:16 AM
I don't have favorites from each game, only a couple ones overall from the whole series.

The Jaegers were first to come to mind. Maybe it's because they were genuinely tough cookies, but they look more threatening than standard enemies.
And AC1's Templar Knights, of course. Those heavy helmets covering their faces and their imposing frame made me poo mah pants every time I spotted one of them.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/5/52/AC1-Templar-Knight.png/revision/latest?cb=20120620004720

You do not want to **** with this guy.

Most other enemies look kinda silly or too similar to be memorable. I know the fashion is mostly accurate, bu I can't help it, there have been some really silly-looking uniforms throughout history. :p

HDinHB
11-10-2015, 03:29 AM
Most other enemies look kinda silly or too similar to be memorable. I know the fashion is mostly accurate, bu I can't help it, there have been some really silly-looking uniforms throughout history. :p

You take that back!

http://www.cruxnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Swiss-Guards-C-717x450.jpg

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2015, 08:09 AM
You take that back!

http://www.cruxnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Swiss-Guards-C-717x450.jpg

Pity we didn't see these outfits in UNITY, during the Storming of the Tuileries, these Swiss Guards defended the King against the Insurrection, they opened fire and in the end 600 of them got killed. In the game we see corpses of National Guard but not the Swiss. In AC3, in the early part of the game during the Seven Years War if you went to Fort Duquesne you saw French soldiers in White Uniforms, just animated for that one particular section. It would have been cool to have that repeated here.

I don't have favorites from each game, only a couple ones overall from the whole series.

The Jaegers were first to come to mind. Maybe it's because they were genuinely tough cookies, but they look more threatening than standard enemies.
And AC1's Templar Knights, of course. Those heavy helmets covering their faces and their imposing frame made me poo mah pants every time I spotted one of them.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/assassinscreed/images/5/52/AC1-Templar-Knight.png/revision/latest?cb=20120620004720

You do not want to **** with this guy.

It was. I am thinking of the basic guards in AC2, Borgia guards are Red Cap wearing, Forli Guards wear green caps...okay we have Mario and Luigi here.

But the Crusader outfits were pretty good and impressive. I think the harsh wartorn periods like Crusades, American Revolution put a greater weight on function and less on ornament. The Renaissance is the time of prosperity so these guard outfits are more flashy and silly looking than functional.

I have to say Syndicate has horrible outfits. The Blighters are terrible looking.

Xstantin
11-10-2015, 01:54 PM
I have to say Syndicate has horrible outfits. The Blighters are terrible looking.

They are. I don't mind silly looking guards or flashy outfits in AC but the Blighters and the Rooks are just awful imo

The Order 1886 for instance had way better looking mooks for instance:

http://i2.cdnds.net/14/08/618x555/gaming-the-order-1886-concept-artwork-2.jpg

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2015, 05:03 PM
They are. I don't mind silly looking guards or flashy outfits in AC but the Blighters and the Rooks are just awful imo

I hope games get rid of cheesy costume motifs like diagonals, fake assymettry and adorned to look good in multiple postures rather than front-profile. I would love it if we get costumes that actually look like they are worn by the character. These costumes are always kind-of odd-looking and they are so common in style across games that it starts to get samey.

SixKeys
11-10-2015, 05:30 PM

The Order 1886 was more steampunk than realism, though. Even Syndicate developers admitted that they originally had more flashy costumes designed until their historian said they weren't accurate to the period the game is set in. Most of our ideas of Victorian fashion come from the late 1800's. '68 was more in the middle.

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2015, 05:47 PM
The Order 1886 was more steampunk than realism, though. Even Syndicate developers admitted that they originally had more flashy costumes designed until their historian said they weren't accurate to the period the game is set in. Most of our ideas of Victorian fashion come from the late 1800's. '68 was more in the middle.

Even then, the costumes in Syndicate have some anachronism, like Jacob's leather jacket is a huge one. That was rare and expensive at that time and more punk rock than anything. The Blighters on the other hand are too well dressed as are the Rooks. This was a time of poverty, these thugs should be really ugly and grimy and we don't see that.

Still it serves the aesthetic and style I guess. The fact is getting period costumes right will always be a mug's game and even the best movies and costume designers essentially have to fake it to make it look good. Even if you have costumes from a period available it's usually too faded and patched and it's made for conditions and bodies different from people today, so it will always involve a certain stylistic decision, how you want the period to be seen by your audience.

I think the outfits of AC3 that are probably the most authentic in that's it's pretty ugly and dry and that's how costumes were historically most of the time. Fashion for general people came very late in the day.

SixKeys
11-10-2015, 06:04 PM
Even then, the costumes in Syndicate have some anachronism, like Jacob's leather jacket is a huge one. That was rare and expensive at that time and more punk rock than anything. The Blighters on the other hand are too well dressed as are the Rooks. This was a time of poverty, these thugs should be really ugly and grimy and we don't see that.

Still it serves the aesthetic and style I guess. The fact is getting period costumes right will always be a mug's game and even the best movies and costume designers essentially have to fake it to make it look good. Even if you have costumes from a period available it's usually too faded and patched and it's made for conditions and bodies different from people today, so it will always involve a certain stylistic decision, how you want the period to be seen by your audience.

I think the outfits of AC3 that are probably the most authentic in that's it's pretty ugly and dry and that's how costumes were historically most of the time. Fashion for general people came very late in the day.

Maybe some concessions have to be made for playability. If all the enemies wore grimy colors, it would difficult to tell the archetypes apart in the heat of battle. AC1's artbook talks about having some deliberate anachronisms to the uniforms because otherwise everyone would look too much the same.

VestigialLlama4
11-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Maybe some concessions have to be made for playability. If all the enemies wore grimy colors, it would difficult to tell the archetypes apart in the heat of battle. AC1's artbook talks about having some deliberate anachronisms to the uniforms because otherwise everyone would look too much the same.

AC1 is still better because it has a huge range of costumes. It shows the Crusades to be a pretty diverse place with multiple factions from Europe coming in for no sane reason. The Tuetonic Knights wear this kick-a-- black tunic, English Knights wear red/white stripes and their archers even have their own hoods. Templars of course sport a Red Helmet and a huge Red Cross on their surcoat. Hospitalers also dress differently.

cawatrooper9
11-10-2015, 08:45 PM
AC1 is still better because it has a huge range of costumes. It shows the Crusades to be a pretty diverse place with multiple factions from Europe coming in for no sane reason. The Tuetonic Knights wear this kick-a-- black tunic, English Knights wear red/white stripes and their archers even have their own hoods. Templars of course sport a Red Helmet and a huge Red Cross on their surcoat. Hospitalers also dress differently.

Yep, I usually notice something from each game during my playthroughs (even as many times as I've done this) but I've never realized until this time how impressive the outfits in AC1 are. I'd love to see that level of attention to detail in character models come back.

VestigialLlama4
11-11-2015, 03:52 AM
I'd love to see that level of attention to detail in character models come back.

Oh...absolutely. One thing about the Next-Gen games that bothers me is the fact that you have very limited character models and very few characters. There's this growing laziness and lack of density in the world building that's being engendered.

AC3 had an incredibly big cast of models - American Revolutionaries, Homesteaders, Assassin Recruits, Templars, Kanienkaha;kha. And the enemies of that game are pretty diverse too.

Meowrynn
11-11-2015, 04:16 AM
Oh...absolutely. One thing about the Next-Gen games that bothers me is the fact that you have very limited character models and very few characters. There's this growing laziness and lack of density in the world building that's being engendered.

AC3 had an incredibly big cast of models - American Revolutionaries, Homesteaders, Assassin Recruits, Templars, Kanienkaha;kha. And the enemies of that game are pretty diverse too.

I don't think so because I can tell you London is very diverse with people: dock workers, street children, poor people, rich townsfolks, wood workers, factory workers, merchants etc.. I don't see why you missed these. you are too focused about the models of blighters in which you think its all too generic but you dismiss the fact that there are DIFFERENT kinds of blighters. if you go to a gang stronghold or templar hunt there's different type of blighters there that you can't normally see on the street. I also want to add that like AC1 there is a wide array of faction as well ranging from templars, police, palace guards etc.. I do think that its ac1 that its too generic because the models in each faction are a complete copy paste of each other but in these new gen games there are different models for each faction..

forgot to include the palace guards.

http://i68.tinypic.com/3469jyd.png

ERICATHERINE
11-11-2015, 04:34 AM
Ac 1 : the type of guards that were in Lion heart camp when Alta´r talked to him. The one that wasn't Templars, but with white and red colors outfits.
Ac ii : I like the guards of Lorenzo (the orange one).
Ac b : I like the thiefs that are the rivals of Volpe.
Ac re : the big byzantin with the two side axe.
Ac iii : the big guys that throw grendes.
Ac liberation hd : the guys that only appears when we have big notoriety which I think are jagers, but with a cooler uniform.
Ac iv bf : the one of the guards in the first time we get to Africa AND the pirates hunters equaly.
Ac freedom cry : the pirates hunters.
Ac ro : the english snipers.
Ac u : everyone of the sequence 13 only "guards".
Ac s : the blighters sniper girls. They are my favorite, with their red coat. ^-^

VestigialLlama4
11-11-2015, 04:54 AM
I don't think so because I can tell you London is very diverse with people: dock workers, street children, poor people, rich townsfolks, wood workers, factory workers, merchants etc..

I was discussing consistent character archetypes and unique number of original NPCs (aka characters), not background NPCs. In AC3 you had unique character designs for nearly 35 people. In Unity you had fewer than that by a big margin. There's more in Syndicate of course.

I don't see why you missed these. you are too focused about the models of blighters in which you think its all too generic but you dismiss the fact that there are DIFFERENT kinds of blighters. if you go to a gang stronghold or templar hunt there's different type of blighters there that you can't normally see on the street.

Perhaps I did miss that, will check it out.

lothario-da-be
11-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Am I the only one who thinks enemies are getting more and more forgettable as we go to more modern times? I also feel like every game gives us less and less enemy types. This feeling was especially present in Syndicate and Unity.

Consus_E
11-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Am I the only one who thinks enemies are getting more and more forgettable as we go to more modern times? I also feel like every game gives us less and less enemy types. This feeling was especially present in Syndicate and Unity.

I think part of the problem is that every game since AC3 has had British guard to fight. You can only hear so many variations of "Oi Kill that guy lads!" before it all sounds the same. Also for some reason along the way AC decided that enemies had to be red. I guess because red is the universal color of danger?

VestigialLlama4
11-11-2015, 12:35 PM
I think part of the problem is that every game since AC3 has had British guard to fight. You can only hear so many variations of "Oi Kill that guy lads!" before it all sounds the same. Also for some reason along the way AC decided that enemies had to be red. I guess because red is the universal color of danger?

The Borgia wore Red too, and the Templar Knights in AC1 had a visible Red Bucket for a Helmet.

In AC3 though, it's a fact that the British are the Redcoats so there it's more period accurate. In Black Flag, you had Spanish soldiers in Mustard Yellow and they were the ones you fought at the end since the Templar Grandmaster is the Spanish Governor. In Unity, the Sans-culottes (who really should have been Assassin allied in truth) wear the famous Red Cap purlieus of the French Revolution.

You are right about the fact that the games are too Anglophone recently and that's part of the reason why enemies feel too samey. Even UNITY with its BBC-Reject English added to it, since even the guards spoke English. At this point we have 9 major console games and five (+Arno) are British and British sounding white folks and that's for the last four years. At this point, AC is dangerously close to losing its reputation for diversity. Even Ezio Auditore who at least sounded non-English is starting to look progressive these days.