PDA

View Full Version : HUD Customization in AC: Syndicate

Wolfmeister1010
11-09-2015, 05:15 AM
TH=he devs have, to their credit, really done some good work on improving the mechanics and features introduced in Unity.

But, in typical AC fashion, they have dragged the game back in more ways than one, or simply have refused to acknowledge the issues fans have complained about in Unity, and still occur in Syndicate.

One of the most blaring ones is the topic of HUD customization.

Syndicate, like Unity, has an absolutely abysmal HUD customization menu in which several HUD aspects are packaged together under broad names such a "conflict" or "Puppeteer" as well as no dedicated way to turn off enemy outlines or blending circle, other than setting the HUD to the "all hidden" preset and then turning on the ones you like.

Personally, I am fine with the enemy health bar, detection meter, and bullet dodge prompt. But the sound-circle, giant enemy level symbols, and enemy outlines are incredibly annoying to me. Unfortunately, since the system of HUD customization is so abysmal and I can't deselect specific HUD aspects, I can either choose to suffer through the cluttered HUD symbols, but be able to dodge bullets, or turn EVERYTHING regarding combat off just to get rid of a few specific ones I hate, and then have to deal with having no way to fight against enemies with guns during combat or chases.

It's one of those things that is so easy to fix, that it makes it me angry that Ubisoft doesn't allow mods.

I mean, Bethesda put no real effort into optimizing or bug fixing their games, or making them remotely visually impressive, but it doesnt matter, because the fans can easily mod and do whatever they want.

So at the very least, the devs could listen to the fans. Because I remember very specifically this being an issue complained about since Unity launched, along with multiple save request; well look at that, that hasn't been fixed either.

I am very very happy that the devs seem to have fixed the blood effects, as well as the hood toggle situation. But a fix for this issue is a year overdue.

Maybe if we make a poll, they'll notice.

Xstantin
11-09-2015, 06:44 AM
Yeah,definitely.
I usually turn off minimap straightaway, this time it was somehow mixed together with "player's widget" :confused:
Enemy outlines's been driving me crazy since Unity cause sometimes they just appear at random as the circle thingy

I-Like-Pie45
11-09-2015, 08:15 AM
Word up homeboy I agree fo' da most part but dawg I think its a poizonous 'tude to just 'wait for the mods' 'cuz dat encourages allowing bad development to slide just 'cuz it can be patched or modded laters!

ziggurcat
11-09-2015, 08:38 AM
the only thing i want is the ability to reduce the opacity of the mini map/health bar - as a plasma TV owner, it takes months after playing an assassin's creed game for the burning to disappear. a translucent mini map/health bar would definitely reduce the degree of burn-in.

straty88
11-09-2015, 11:46 AM
100% yes, it's one of those small things that makes a big difference. Plus it'd be nice to have the hold R3 to turn on/off the HUD option, like we had in Unity. Saves going into the menus constantly.

SixKeys
11-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Agreed. Syndicate has the worst/ugliest HUD in the entire series thus far, I want to be able to turn off the most glaring offenders with ease. (Like the godawful sound circle.)

It's weird that they still call it "puppeteer" in the HUD options, BTW, since the puppeteering concept was disposed of in 2012. Why not just call it "controls"?

Sushiglutton
11-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Here's a crazy idea: List all different HUD elements with the options to toggle them on/off. Done!

More complicated: Have a "Standard" tab with broader categories and an "Advanced" tab that gives the user full control.

SixKeys
11-09-2015, 01:40 PM
More complicated: Have a "Standard" tab with broader categories and an "Advanced" tab that gives the user full control.

+1

Wolfmeister1010
11-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Here's a crazy idea: List all different HUD elements with the options to toggle them on/off. Done!

+2

Wolfmeister1010
11-21-2015, 02:41 AM
Yeah there are a few things that should DEFINITELY be fixed. Right now there is a way too turn off the following

1. Minimap AND medicine count AND health
2. Controls
3.Tool indicator
4. Mission Log
5. SSI AND Detection Ring AND health bars AND enemy level numbers
6. High ground icons
7. Updates

With no defined setting to turn off enemy outlines.

But what if I wanted to turn off the enemy levels but not the health bar? What if I wanted to turn off the detection ring but not the detection meter above enemy heads?

There should be SEPARATE options for these things. The fact that 3 or 4 things are set to "player widget" and all aspects of combat and detection are packaged in "conflict" category is very annoying. Also, take note from CDPR; they introduced the option to shrink the size of the HUD.

In addition, there are audio annoyances that should be able to be tweaked.

For example, there is a really annoying sound that plays whenever you lure someone, particularly with a throwing knife. It also occurs every single damned time you make a knife throw headshot while not detected. It is incredibly annoying and takes the immersion out of stealth for me at least.

m4r-k7
11-21-2015, 01:44 PM
The enemy highlights are the worst. They take out so much of the immersion. If I remember correctly they were okay in AC 3 as the enemy highlights were white, but in this and Unity (I think) they are yellow and red which are so visible. It makes the game look cheap as well. I would much rather them put a small indicator on the top of the enemy's health bar to indicate whether we are targeting them or not.

Wolfmeister1010
11-21-2015, 10:23 PM
You can turn off enemy highlights. There just isn't a defined setting.

You need to turn on the "all hidden" preset and the turn on the HUD aspects you want.

CrossedEagle
11-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Is there a way to turn off the rope launcher L1 pop-up? Because I've tried taking off the HUD to take some screenshots, but the L1 usually still appears.

Wolfmeister1010
11-22-2015, 04:26 AM
No, there is no way to turn off that prompt. Although for that one I can understand it, as it would be literally impossible to play the game well without any indication of where you are aiming the launcher.

SixKeys
11-22-2015, 06:47 AM
That stupid rope launcher prompt is the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE. I can understand the need to have it even with the rest of the HUD turned off, but it should only appear when you're actually looking at a building. The prompt keeps appearing above my head even when I have no intention of using the rope launcher. Good luck trying to get screenshots at the train station. You'll need to be standing underneath a closed doorway at all times just to make that damn prompt stop hovering over your head.

Sushiglutton
11-22-2015, 05:36 PM
That stupid rope launcher prompt is the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE. I can understand the need to have it even with the rest of the HUD turned off, but it should only appear when you're actually looking at a building. The prompt keeps appearing above my head even when I have no intention of using the rope launcher. Good luck trying to get screenshots at the train station. You'll need to be standing underneath a closed doorway at all times just to make that damn prompt stop hovering over your head.

Lol, I feel your pain! There should be an umbrella you could carry that disabled the prompt. Like a portable doorway. Or they could let the player customize the HUD fully.

crusader_prophet
11-22-2015, 09:46 PM
I had everything turned off in the beginning and I noticed the hints still popping on my screen such as "drop down", "enter", "entry point", "climb over". That annoyed me. In addition to that, I wanted to be able to turn on the enemy highlights only without having to turn on the tools on HUD, couldn't do that.

SixKeys
11-23-2015, 03:41 AM
In addition to the rope launcher prompt, I also hate that you can't make the tip for performing a Leap of Faith disappear. This is the 9th instalment in the series. I'm pretty sure most players already know how to do a LoF, and if they don't, telling them once should be enough.

Not to mention other unnecessary tips that pop up all the time in the middle of a mission. If you dare take more than 30 seconds standing still because you're trying to be stealthy and figuring out your strategy, the prompt keeps "helpfully" appearing to remind you what you're currently doing.

"YOU MUST ESCAPE THE AREA"
"Yeah, I know, but there's a policeman patrolling near the entrance and I don't want to kill--"
"YOU MUST ESCAPE THE AREA"

"KILL THE FOREMAN"
"Uh-huh, yeah, thanks. WTF do you think I've been doing stalking around this factory for the past 10 minutes?"

Wolfmeister1010
11-23-2015, 04:02 AM
Off topic but I don't know where else to put it.

I guess it is "HUD" related.

Is rain supposed to look this...weird? Every time there is a light source, when I look towards it when it's raining it really over blows the brightness of the rain, making it look really really over the top..I don't know how to explain it really. I have not seen this happen in console game plays.

http://i.imgur.com/1jxMt1w.jpg

I think this is how it's supposed to look in this situation http://i.imgur.com/LG72dUX.jpg

That is on the PS4 version, and as you can see, the rain is being lit by the light source, but it is much more translucent, it blends in the environment a lot better, and is less weirdly sharp and jagged.