PDA

View Full Version : Move game to different drive

GhostAssassinLT
11-07-2015, 05:37 PM
I just noticed that I have ACU installed on my C: drive where as all of the other games are installed on the G: drive.
Is there an easy way of moving the game to the G: drive or will I have to uninstall ACU and then download it again?

strigoi1958
11-07-2015, 06:34 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I believe now uplay lets you do it.... you should be able to copy the folder to your g drive and uninstall it from C: then start to install it from uplay but set the download folder to your G: folder and it should see it all there and not download anything... before I used to use steam mover (works with origin and uplay but uplay does it now. I remember Yaz pointing it out before. You may want to confirm with him first.

GhostAssassinLT
11-07-2015, 10:12 PM
OK, thanks for the information strigoi.

YazX_
11-07-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I believe now uplay lets you do it.... you should be able to copy the folder to your g drive and uninstall it from C: then start to install it from uplay but set the download folder to your G: folder and it should see it all there and not download anything... before I used to use steam mover (works with origin and uplay but uplay does it now. I remember Yaz pointing it out before. You may want to confirm with him first.

That is correct, but this is the first and official way to do it, the other easier way is just by changing the path in registry keys, if you don't want to fiddle with registry keys then please use the same method described by strigoi1958 but if you want to simply change the path in registry, here are the keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\As sassin's Creed Unity
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\La uncher\Installs\720

in both reg keys, there is a registry key value on the right pane called "InstallDir", change the path/drive there, however, if you are pasting a full path make sure the path has forward slash "/" instead "" backslash, as an example:

G:/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Assassin's Creed Unity/ ------> Correct Path Format
G:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Assassin's Creed Unity\ -------> Wrong Path Format

NOTE: These methods are ONLY for UPlay version of the game NOT FOR STEAM.

GhostAssassinLT
11-08-2015, 08:43 AM
Thanks YazX_. Unfortunately simply changing the search path in the registry and copying the game to the other drive didn't work (yes, I did reboot the system before trying to start it) so I had to uninstall and then re-install. Uplay is now searching the files.

Since I normally only change the drive letter when installing software I only had to change the C to a G. Anywho, I now have about 50 Gb more free space on my system drive...

YazX_
11-08-2015, 10:23 AM
That's odd, i've just tried it and it worked properly, actually i always use this method to move games around since you know SSD capacity for avg price is relatively small (256 GB) so i install any new game there, once i beat it, i move it to another H.D.D drive and change the path in those reg keys.

However, it's great that we have more than one way to do such things as if one didn't work we can always try the other, glad you got it sorted out :)