PDA

View Full Version : Region change: does it or does it not?

naumaan
11-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Hey there all, its nice to see the specs for upcoming game this year, i am happy for all of you who are going to enjoy syndicate with its full graphic potential, me on the other hand .. not so much, just when I was going to buy a pc, an opportunity came at me, may be or may be not, i ll be getting a job and changing my country in the mid of next year, so the question "can i be able to play unity on a better graphics card?" is changed to "can i be able to play unity or any other uplay game in the other region and will i be able to buy the game there and play it in another country?"
I don't know and I ll be happy if anybody can give me a heads up.

YazX_
11-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Well it depends on the shop you are buying from, all Ubisoft games come with region SKUs, stores like UPlay, Origin,Steam,... redirects you to the shop page and currency based on the IP you are connecting from, currently the SKUs i'm aware of (might be more):

1. Global.
2. U.S and Canada.
3. EU (most of EU countries).
4. Asia (india and other far asia countries)
5. RU/CIS (Russia, Ukraine,..)

However, you can always purchase a Global SKU from trusted respectable and known third party sellers. now as for can you play the game that you already have activated in another country, it depends on the SKU as well, i saw an issue where a guy bought Asia SKU from India while he was there and then got a job in middle east (Kuwait) and couldn't play, so some SKUs have also region lock on playing not only activation. other SKUs like RU/CIS have all languages stripped except for RU and cannot be played in English and have activation region lock but can be played in any country in the world.

so the best thing to do is to always purchase the global SKU and you can always contact support to get more info about the region you are going to and your current region in terms of activation and region locking.

and if you need any further help once you move out, please PM me and i will guide you through it as i have done this previously with members who had somehow similar dilemma.

naumaan
11-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the reply yaz
I have bought all the games from uplay store .. will it keep the games unlocked? At the time of buying the games region was not mentioned, only i bought the game in euros .. that would mean i m from europe category .. .. my destination is middle east ..
Sure .. when i ll leave .. i ll keep you posted

YazX_
11-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the reply yaz
I have bought all the games from uplay store .. will it keep the games unlocked? At the time of buying the games region was not mentioned, only i bought the game in euros .. that would mean i m from europe category .. .. my destination is middle east ..
Sure .. when i ll leave .. i ll keep you posted

i believe there is no region locking on activating and playing if you have EU version (middle-east is included within EU SKU but this might change), Region locking purpose is to prevent users from different continents to buy cheaper version of the game, as an example wages in India are way lower than EU, so games are priced accordingly which happen to be 1/3 of EU price and there are other reasons as well, so some users from other regions take advantage of this and misuse it, thus region locking is applied.

but as always, i strongly recommend to contact Support because they are the official Ubisoft representative and can give you a clear answer on every version.

Anykeyer
11-11-2015, 01:41 PM
SKUs and Uplay IDs isnt the same thing.
EU and US usually have different collectors editions SKUs but they share the same Uplay ID which determine base game properties.
AC2-ACR have only 2 IDs per game:
steam and all others (retail, uplay shop or any digital shop except steam), bc of this Uplay doesnt care about your location when running those games.
Starting with AC3 Ubi devided "all others" (non-steam) ID into different IDs:
one for western EU+americas, separate for some eastern europe and asia countries (russia, india, japan, czech and others all have their own IDs)
Sometimes those regional IDs have activation lock (they will work regardless of your country after cdkey was activated) but usually its only language lock. For example a cdkey tied to russian uplay ID of ACU only includes russian language pack.
DLC always have single ID for every region, its even shared with steam (in a bit complicated way which I already explained somewhere).