PDA

View Full Version : Why a Assassin's Creed set in Japan would be problematic

argetfalcon
11-07-2015, 07:40 AM
I love Japan and the thought of a Japanese assassin sounds cool. However pre-WWII the Japanese were Imperialistic Conquerors and that sounds a lot more in line with Templar philosophy.

What would you think of a Korean Assassin during the Japanese occupation of Korea.

LoyalACFan
11-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Victorian-era Britain was one of the greatest (if not the greatest) imperialistic societies in history, so... Not really seeing an issue there. Besides, the Medici rule of Florence was basically an ideal Templar society (unified governing body w/ very little political power held by the lower classes) and Ezio was still homies with Lorenzo. They can make it work.

Plus I'm not entirely sold on the notion that imperialism = Templar, but that's another discussion I'm not really that keen to have at 2AM. Night-o.

Consus_E
11-07-2015, 09:20 AM
We just had 5 games in a row that dealt with empires...

ACS = British Empire
ACU = Leads into the Napoleonic Empire
AC:RO = British Empire and the Kingdom of France
AC4:BF = Spanish, Portugues, & British Empries
AC3 = British Empire (Again)

Plus as mentioned we had the Medici

It's not so much that AC needs to avoid Imperialism in it's settings because it clashes with Assassin ideals, so much as we've had plenty of big empires already. How about a smaller kingdom or a nice republic?

Also love the idea of a game during the Japanese invasion of Korea. Admiral Yi Sun-Sin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin could be our new Charles Darwin/Leonardo Da Vinci/George Washington. Could even be a good excuse to include some navel.
We could sail one of these bad-boys:
http://burnpit.legion.org/sites/burnpit/files/battle_sacheon05.jpg

CarthageBP
11-07-2015, 09:36 AM
I'm not usually one to defend AC in Japan, but the points you present actually make it more appealing.

Both Templar and Assassin have fundamental objections to imperialism. How they go about tackling the problem is what differs dramatically.

The Japanese Imperial Family are believed to have descended from gods. Templars in Imperial Japan would need to deal with this entirely different set of cultural variables to manipulate the people in power. Overcoming a millennia+ old belief is not an easy thing for anyone to do.

Assassin's wouldn't have it much easier, trying to bring peace through violence in what was already one of Japan's most turbulent periods. Clans and families fought wars against each other, and against the Empire of Japan. Some in the name of freedom, others in the name of vengeance. Even in modern Japan there are families whose names are looked down upon because of the history behind them.

While I'm not convinced that Imperial Japan is a good step for the series (I think too many series have gone there) I think there is absolutely historic material to build story for both sides.

Meowrynn
11-07-2015, 12:59 PM
They already made one in japan, unless we go back in time..

http://i66.tinypic.com/2mqq934.jpg

Hattori Hanzō (c. 1542 23 December 1596) was a vassal for Tokugawa Ieyasu, the last of the three unifiers of Feudal Japan. A famous samurai and ninja, Hanzō was also a member of the Assassin Brotherhood. source- Assassin's Creed: Memories

VestigialLlama4
11-07-2015, 01:03 PM
I love Japan and the thought of a Japanese assassin sounds cool. However pre-WWII the Japanese were Imperialistic Conquerors and that sounds a lot more in line with Templar philosophy.

You are aware that governments are not their people right? In an Empire, logically the people have no voice or say in the government and so can't really be held accountable for the actions of their leaders. That's why Hitler and the Nazis are so much scarier than other Emperors since Hitler was actually voted into power and was willingly given powers without any significant protest and most of the German public unquestioningly supported him.

In any case Imperial Japan is a weird phrase. The Emperor of Japan only regained an active role after the Meiji Restoration, before that you had the Shogunate during the Sakoku era. And the Empire by the time of the 30s and 40s had become more of a constitutional monarch than anything.

argetfalcon
11-08-2015, 05:06 AM
All valid points, glad I brought this. Still if we do get one set in Japan I would rather it not be during the feudal period. I nice twist would be maybe during a few decades before WWII

flavorcountry19
11-08-2015, 05:23 AM
im all for japan cause i love that setting and love ninjas(no im not compairing them im just saying) but a huge worry of mine is if they stay historically accurate.....there isn't going to be a whole lot to climb? sure there might be one or two big temples you can climb but like...everything else is one story huts!

LieutenantRex
11-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Meh. I would rather they go to a period of time that's nearer to the antiquity than anything else...