PDA

View Full Version : The best Bf109?



Huxley_S
02-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi y'all,

I'm trying to work out which is the best Bf109 for dogfighting.

I haven't had time to try them all but I've tried the K model which was fast but can't turn and some of the G models which aren't that fast and aren't particularly good at turning either.

I've settled on the G6AS type which seems to me to be the most versatile of the lot...

i.e. the huxleymobile

http://www.totallyradio.com/fb_shots/hux3.jpg

Like I say, I'm pretty inexperienced with the Bf109. Which models do you guys think are the best?

Huxley_S
02-09-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi y'all,

I'm trying to work out which is the best Bf109 for dogfighting.

I haven't had time to try them all but I've tried the K model which was fast but can't turn and some of the G models which aren't that fast and aren't particularly good at turning either.

I've settled on the G6AS type which seems to me to be the most versatile of the lot...

i.e. the huxleymobile

http://www.totallyradio.com/fb_shots/hux3.jpg

Like I say, I'm pretty inexperienced with the Bf109. Which models do you guys think are the best?

Rajvosa
02-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Try the G2 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Some will say it's overmodeled, I don't know about that. But I know it flies like a swallow and that's all that matteres!

http://stu.wccnet.org/~ecrnovrs/inp150/finalp/sarajevo1/images/sarajevo.jpg

Zen--
02-09-2004, 08:50 AM
You might try the G2.

Turns on a dime, climbs like an angry monkey and is very stable in handling.
Firepower is low compared to other late G series 109's...no mk108 cannon but the agility makes up for that imho.

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen

crazyivan1970
02-09-2004, 08:50 AM
All around G-2 hands down.

As a turnfighter F4 i`d say

As B&Z K4 - Nothing comes close IMO.

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

Zen--
02-09-2004, 08:51 AM
Tag Ivan, your it!

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen

Fehler
02-09-2004, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen--:
Tag Ivan, your it!

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im partial to the G-10 myself, although I really would rather have 151/20 nose cannon instead of the 108.

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/FehlerSig.gif
http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/9JG54.html

hotspace
02-09-2004, 09:20 AM
The F-4 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Hot Space

http://img11.photobucket.com/albums/v33/Hot_Space/me1.jpg

NorrisMcWhirter
02-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi,

I prefer the G14, myself. Seems to manouvere a little better than the K4. G2 is nice but you have to love that '108 when it shreds something up.

Cheers,
Norris


================================================== ==========

: Chris Morris - Blue Jam : http://cabinessence.cream.org/

More irreverence:
http://www.tvgohome.com/

XyZspineZyX
02-09-2004, 10:01 AM
No question. G2

Zen--
02-09-2004, 10:13 AM
I lost interest in the big gun planes a long time ago and eventually ended up not really caring for the 109 series either. In IL2 they were great to fly, something has changed with them in FB and they lost their appeal to me.

I guess you could say the same about the FW in FB, something has changed but for me it is for the better. The 109's perform better than they used to and rightly so, and are (I feel) more realistically modelled in many ways but they somehow lost their flair...maybe it's just me and my preferences changing over time, but I just don't care for them anymore.

And the G2 is a bit too overdone for me...I don't like the plane at all, it feels more like a Yak than a 109. Just my opinion, hope the Luft-Fans don't come BnZing down on me for that one (/me ducks behind sandbags).

The changes brought to the whole Luft series are welcome though. Despite some claims that the G2 is too uber (and those may be right, who knows) in general the series performs more like what I expected them to nowadays rather than what they used to be back in IL2. I'm no expert, I fly by the seat of the pants on this, but I'm glad we are here now instead of where we were back then. The game was really pretty slanted in many ways...at least now most all the planes do well if the right tactics are applied for their type.

Overall I have no complaints really. I stay away from planes that I think don't have a really thorough FM because those planes tend to feel too energetic, I much prefer planes like the 190's, the P40, the P47 etc. Those are planes that feel as though they have a very complex FM and require some concentration to get the most out of. There's probably bias in there on my part, but I just don't care for planes that fly too easily, that actually ruins my sense of immersion.

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen

JorBR
02-09-2004, 10:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
All around G-2 hands down.
As a turnfighter F4 i`d say
As B&Z K4 - Nothing comes close IMO.
V!
Regards,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ivan is right, but is not the wisest thing to dogfight in a 109 http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

"Never wrestle with a pig; you both get dirty but the pig enjoys it!"

crazyivan1970
02-09-2004, 11:18 AM
I`m not sure what to say Zen. I don`t have enough experiance in turfights simply because i didn`t apply those tactics. Flying 109 series only for over 2 years i have not used it as anything else by energy fighter so i can`t really judge on G2s turning abilites. But i know one thing, that G2 was the most dangerous fighter on the german side comparing to others. According to memoirs of soviet pilots it could do both, vertical and flat manuevers and was pretty much superior to soviet aircraft of that era. Arrival of P-39 and Yak1b in late 1942, early 1943 kind of balanced it out... but even then. By the way, Pokrishkin was very impressed with G2 as well. Later series of G models didn`t not impress soviets too much, maybe because they received better fighters, or maybe because later G`s were not that good in turnfights.

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

S77th-brooks
02-09-2004, 11:27 AM
the G2 should turn well http://hostingprod.com/@296thiap.com/Tips.html

Curly_109
02-09-2004, 11:54 AM
For dogfight G2 and F4(maybe little better), against bombers (as interceptor) Bf109 versions with MK108 mounted wing cannons. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Jirozaemon
02-09-2004, 12:09 PM
One ‚¬īquestion Zen:

Has TX-Squadron disbanded ? I liked your Server very much... Would be a pity.

Regards

Jiro

TgD Thunderbolt56
02-09-2004, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen--:
I lost interest in the big gun planes a long time ago and eventually ended up not really caring for the 109 series either. In IL2 they were great to fly, something has changed with them in FB and they lost their appeal to me.

I guess you could say the same about the FW in FB, something has changed but for me it is for the better. The 109's perform better than they used to and rightly so, and are (I feel) more realistically modelled in many ways but they somehow lost their flair...maybe it's just me and my preferences changing over time, but I just don't care for them anymore.

And the G2 is a bit too overdone for me...I don't like the plane at all, it feels more like a Yak than a 109. Just my opinion, hope the Luft-Fans don't come BnZing down on me for that one (/me ducks behind sandbags).

The changes brought to the whole Luft series are welcome though. Despite some claims that the G2 is too uber (and those may be right, who knows) in general the series performs more like what I expected them to nowadays rather than what they used to be back in IL2. I'm no expert, I fly by the seat of the pants on this, but I'm glad we are here now instead of where we were back then. The game was really pretty slanted in many ways...at least now most all the planes do well if the right tactics are applied for their type.

Overall I have no complaints really. I stay away from planes that I think don't have a really thorough FM because those planes tend to feel too energetic, I much prefer planes like the 190's, the P40, the P47 etc. Those are planes that feel as though they have a very complex FM and require some concentration to get the most out of. There's probably bias in there on my part, but I just don't care for planes that fly too easily, that actually ruins my sense of immersion.

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Hey Zen!

BTW...GoodKnight says you're full of it! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/blink.gif



http://home.earthlink.net/~aclzkim1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/il2sig2.jpg

Zen--
02-09-2004, 01:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jirozaemon:
One ‚¬īquestion Zen:

Has TX-Squadron disbanded ? I liked your Server very much... Would be a pity.

Regards

Jiro<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No sir, TX is alive and well. The server is running fine (except at this very moment ironically enough) and the squadron continues on with Rahman as the CO. The server remains up as well, you can usually find it on HL. I'm still doing the hosting for it even though I'm no longer an active member...we put it up for the community, not just for TX so it didn't seem right to take it down.



Ivan, I trust your opinion on the G2 and have read a few similar things. I'm not saying the plane is overmodelled in the extreme, I guess I'm just saying that it doesn't feel right to ME, which is naturally a completely subjective opinion. If you genuinely think it's 'on' FM-wise or close to it, that carries a lot of weight with me, though I'm not asking you to endorse the plane or anything. I consider you to be a 109 expert and from that perspective I believe that you would know better than I do about the series.



Thunder...I didn't know GK ever had anything against me lol, but I guess he could be right http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif


S!!

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen

LEBillfish
02-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Each has its ++++'s, and each has it's -----'s. Personally, I prefer to fly approprite era planes, meaning, If they are flying 1941 era, then I like flying the same or older.

For me winning is not the point here as some feel at all costs they must........Mine is taking a plane and dealing with the bad of it trying to overcome it and make the best use of the good.....You'll find the greatest satisfaction in downing a superior plane and pilot rather then having the most superior plane.

Currently though I'm having a LOT of fun in E4's and E7's. Nice roll, tight turns if you keep the nose down and great guns......More fun is trying to fly them with no auto prop pitch...A skill I've yet to master well them being so delicate.

M0NS
02-09-2004, 01:29 PM
I love early stuff - really - anything 1942 or before so I haven't got much experience with the late 109s. I prefer historical accurate servers without any anachronisms - but if we're talking 1941-1942 I'd go for the F2 or the G2. The first one lacks devastating firepower but can move in the most bizare ways - the second is fast & climbs well - with a G2 you can get kills in the first pass with a little practice & if you don't get dragged in you can even make it home without taking a single hit (except from bombers)

S!

MONS (stunt double for Eric Hartmann, Walther Nowotny, Chuck Yeager & many others)

A.K.Davis
02-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Best all-around is the G6/AS. Take the 20mm if fighting anything other than bombers or p-47s. A good BnZer, with decent maneuverability if needed. G2 is wonderful, but I wouldn't want to fight well-flown late-war planes in it.

--AKD

http://www.flyingpug.com/pugline2.jpg

Platypus_1.JaVA
02-09-2004, 02:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zen--:
You might try the G2.

Turns on a dime, climbs like an angry monkey and is very stable in handling.
Firepower is low compared to other late G series 109's...no mk108 cannon but the agility makes up for that imho.

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed but, the armament is quite effective. You just really have to aim very well..

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge,
ye shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be measured
to you again.

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/JaVAPlatypus-1java.JPG (http://www.1java.org)

Platypus_1.JaVA
02-09-2004, 02:01 PM
See it as a sniper-rifle instead of a multi-barreld gatling gun.

1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2 For with what judgment ye judge,
ye shall be judged: and with what
measure ye mete, it shall be measured
to you again.

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/JaVAPlatypus-1java.JPG (http://www.1java.org)

Bomber-Burn
02-09-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm new to the forums but been playing the game for years. I was wondering how do you get the picture into the bottom of your message?
Any help please.

Bomber-Burn

crazyivan1970
02-09-2004, 02:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bomber-Burn:
I'm new to the forums but been playing the game for years. I was wondering how do you get the picture into the bottom of your message?
Any help please.

Bomber-Burn<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go to your profile and insert signature

hyperlink

V!
Regards,

http://blitzpigs.com/forum/images/smiles/smokin.gif

VFC*Crazyivan aka VFC*HOST

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/ivan-reaper.gif

Kozhedub: In combat potential, the Yak-3, La-7 and La-9 fighters were indisputably superior to the Bf-109s and Fw-190s. But, as they say, no matter how good the violin may be, much depends on the violinist. I always felt respect for an enemy pilot whose plane I failed to down.

http://www.rmutt.netfirms.com/coop-sig.jpg

Zen--
02-09-2004, 02:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Platypus_1.JaVA:

Agreed but, the armament is quite effective. You just really have to aim very well..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


I understand completely...I fly the D9 with 2x20mm, so I am in that boat all the time. They are more than capable of getting the job done, I never need the mk108. Even against bombers if you carefully aim at the cockpit or engines you can get the job done more often than not, but the D9 is not the plane for attacking the heavies...too fragile for that.

-Zen-
Formerly TX-Zen

johann_thor
02-09-2004, 02:05 PM
no question - G6/AS

it sucks fuel - take a droptank http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Xnomad
02-09-2004, 02:38 PM
F-4 for dogfighting
G-2 for B&Z and dogfighting
G-6 AS for B&Z with some deflection shooting
K-4 for B&Z and direct shooting and occasionally the million dollar deflection shot which I love when I pull off!


If the G-10 had a 20mm option as it did in real life then I would fly that in the later year servers.

However on servers with G-2 and late G-6 I must admit I take the Erla Haube G-6 late as since the patch I worry about my 6 a lot and don't want to bleed too much speed checking it all the time, which I would have to do in the G-2 with it's horrible rear view visibilty. If I had a wingman/squad I would stick to my beloved G-2 though.

All in all I find the G-6 AS the best all rounder it can turn a bit has better visibilty (except for the piss stains on the sides when the sun shines in) climbs well, and has a nose cannon option and heavier MGs than a G-2/F-4

http://www.xnomad.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sig.jpg

LilHorse
02-09-2004, 02:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEBillfish:
Each has its ++++'s, and each has it's -----'s. Personally, I prefer to fly approprite era planes, meaning, If they are flying 1941 era, then I like flying the same or older.

For me winning is not the point here as some feel at all costs they must........Mine is taking a plane and dealing with the bad of it trying to overcome it and make the best use of the good.....You'll find the greatest satisfaction in downing a superior plane and pilot rather then having the most superior plane.

Currently though I'm having a LOT of fun in E4's and E7's. Nice roll, tight turns if you keep the nose down and great guns......More fun is trying to fly them with no auto prop pitch...A skill I've yet to master well them being so delicate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with Billfish here. I like to make use of the planes in a year limited sense. But overall I prefer the earlier 109s to the later ones. I really like the G-6 and G-6 late with the 20mm in the spinner. I really like the Emils too. In those servers where planes like the P-51 or La-7 are offered I'm crazy enough to take out an Emil just to see how well I do with it.

Oh yeah, don't dogfight with any 109 if you can help it. BnZ/ energy fight whenever possible.

Huxley_S
02-10-2004, 04:03 AM
I spent last night in a G2 and it is true that it does swoop and soar (and turn) much better than the other 109s I've tried (even with gun pods) which makes it quite formidable.

However, it is slower than the G6/AS and starts shaking at 720Kph (I've had 840Kph out of the G6/AS in a vertical dive) and it seems to have very weak armour. Getting too close to a B17 or IL2 is suicide.

I'll give the F-4 a try but it looks to me like the G6/AS (with yellow and black trim and nose cannon aka the huxleymobile) is the best all-rounder. It can survive a few hits and help you survive long enough to out-wit anyone who gets on your six.... and woe betide any IL2 or B17 that comes along when you've got your heavy gun pods equipped... hehe...

http://www.totallyradio.com/fb_shots/hux2.jpg

BfHeFwMe
02-10-2004, 05:02 AM
I like the plain G-6, has the visibility of a G-2 frontwards, and the twin 13mm's add some nice punch over the BB guns. It's not that far off from a G-2's performance, I'm willing to trade a bit for the firepower, but never for loss of forward visibility.

DeerHunterUK
02-10-2004, 05:18 AM
I find the G6 and later variants with the 13mm guns a bit too heavy for my liking and I don't particularly like the Mk 108 cannon either (I'm totally useless with cannon larger than 20mm TBH) so I'd have to say that the G2 (with gunpods) is my favourite 109.I quite like the F4 and the forgotten 109 the Emil as my Squadron tends to fly pre-42 aircraft.

No1_Moggy
-----
In memory of 'The Few'
http://www.lima1.co.uk/Sharkey/spitfire.jpg
The Tangmere Pilots - http://www.tangmerepilots-raf.co.uk/
Know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated.

Stalker58
02-10-2004, 07:23 AM
G2 si simply sweet, only drawback is you are tempting in T&B combat style and this is not healthy for any Me109 driver..Me1096/AS/MG151 is real Mustang killer, fast, excelent climber,and quite nimble in late war context.

Altitude, speed, manoeuvre and.... CRASH!

JZG_Waltrip
02-10-2004, 08:24 AM
The G-6/AS is quite a good bird. Also, don't downplay it's maneuverability. It's a very, very capable stall fighter, mostly because of its huge horsepower advantage.

DONB3397
02-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Like a lot of ppl here, the G2 is my choice. It may be, as everyone seems to think, overmodeled a bit.

Winning isn't everything;
It's the only thing!
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3fe77b7e_1812a/bc/Images/Sig---1.jpg?BC.5qJABSgXKLZQo

wayno7777
02-10-2004, 10:18 AM
Now if we could only get the K-4 with the 605AS

Wir greifen an!
Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann


http://server5.uploadit.org/files/wayno77-Hartmann3a.jpg