PDA

View Full Version : Proposal for future games?

Ziiimmie
11-06-2015, 05:49 PM
Making the modern day components optional for those who aren't invested in it. A option screen at the start that says "assassins creed tells a rich detailed story of the modern world in the assassins universe some may find this distracting would you like these segments present in your game?" Or something like that.

Choosing no would take you straight into the historical setting and play through with zero interruptions whilst yes would include modern day sections.

or keep it as it was in Brotherhood where you could go the entire game without leaving the animus If you desired. Whilst if you were interested in the story you could leave and interact with modern day characters.

I feel cutting down on the modern day due to a few mainstream critics is pretty lame :/ simply making it optional would make it fair for everyone.

Assassin_M
11-06-2015, 05:55 PM
They're not cutting it down because of criticism. They're cutting it down because it's a big investment and that since people who like the modern day are a minority, they decided that it's not a worthy one. I like the way Syndicate has it. I don't understand why people want playable Modern Day. In AC I, we could only walk around and read emails. In AC II, we had fighting but it was silly as hell because the small size of the modern guaranteed copy-paste gameplay from the historical section, which made for such a silly section where Abstergo fights you with friggin sticks.

Really, Modern Day wont ever have a bigger portion than the past and thus consequently, we can't ever get proper modern day gameplay. Cutscenes serve the purpose. We get story, character development and lore.

CarthageBP
11-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Really, Modern Day wont ever have a bigger portion than the past and thus consequently, we can't ever get proper modern day gameplay. Cutscenes serve the purpose. We get story, character development and lore.

At this point there have been two (major) games without Desmond, and two without any form of modern-day gameplay whatsoever. Anyone coming in to the series at a point after AC:III would really have no concept of the modern-day story's origins. Anyone coming in after BF and Rogue would have no idea that there ever -was- modern day gameplay.

You're argument that modern-day won't ever have a larger fan base is based on the idea that current non-fans will start enjoying it. Which isn't unreasonable. But if the gameplay isn't there at all, there isn't an opportunity for new fans to make the decision whether they like it or not.

Assassin_M
11-06-2015, 09:51 PM
You're argument that modern-day won't ever have a larger fan base is based on the idea that current non-fans will start enjoying it.
Oh no, my apologies, I was not clear. When I refer to the size of modern day, I'm referring to how much of a portion it gets in the games, not its fanbase.

AC I has 4 mandatory cutscenes and then 10 or some optional conversations and a few emails to read. That entirely adds up to about 40 minutes of screen time out of a roughly 20 hour game.
AC II had about 20 minutes of modern day out of a roughly 20 hour game.
ACB had 3 mandatory cutscenes and missions and about 5 optional conversations, a few emails and collectibles and this adds up to about 2-3 hours of playtime out of a roughly 15 hour game.
ACR had 4 mandatory cutscenes with 5 first person puzzle missions, which all adds up to about 2-3 hours of playtime out of another 15 hour game. You get my point.

Modern Day has never taken center stage and there's a reason for that. AC has always been about the past, about history. The overarching plot was indeed the modern day, but it was never the star of the game. The true star was always the story going on inside the Animus/Helix/Whatever.

Which isn't unreasonable. But if the gameplay isn't there at all, there isn't an opportunity for new fans to make the decision whether they like it or not.
Honestly? I wouldn't want any new fan to see nor experience AC modern day gameplay. AC modern day gameplay is bare at best and abysmal at worst. I mean, we had guards with sticks and Desmond fighting with a hidden blade. That's just the historical gameplay pasted on Modern Day. It makes for silly gameplay.

CarthageBP
11-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Oh no, my apologies, I was not clear. When I refer to the size of modern day, I'm referring to how much of a portion it gets in the games, not its fanbase.

Modern Day has never taken center stage and there's a reason for that. AC has always been about the past, about history. The overarching plot was indeed the modern day, but it was never the star of the game. The true star was always the story going on inside the Animus/Helix/Whatever.

That makes a certain amount of sense. My view has always been that the two were intertwined. And perhaps that comes from a love of stories that have overarching plots with smaller, episodic stories built into their structure (Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine). I feel like without the modern-day to show some sort of "This is where the battle is NOW" it's really just a historic climby-stabby.

LoyalACFan
11-07-2015, 01:38 AM
IMO they should have given Desmond an actual satisfying conclusion in 2012, not one that immediately created an even bigger threat, and ended the MD content there. That would have been the only way to end the MD content without pissing anyone off. OP is right in saying that the modern-day stuff, such as it is, has absolutely zero chance of getting new fans interested in that storyline at this point, because it hinges so heavily on past events and established characters (and new characters/developments that only rabid AC fanatics would know about; like anything that happened on Initiates, for instance). So they're in an awkward limbo state now to where they can't really spend too much time on the modern stuff since it alienates new players, but they can't scrap it either because it would feel like a slap in the face to the fans who've been invested in it since Day 1. So it's really a lose-lose situation.

CarthageBP
11-07-2015, 02:05 AM
So they're in an awkward limbo state now to where they can't really spend too much time on the modern stuff since it alienates new players, but they can't scrap it either because it would feel like a slap in the face to the fans who've been invested in it since Day 1. So it's really a lose-lose situation.

I think this is the crux of it right here.

Lots of people want modern day to continue because they're invested in it. Lots of people couldn't care less because they didn't start from the beginning so they don't know the whole story. And of course there's a whole bunch of people in the middle.

The ending of ACIII left a gigantic trench in modern day that I don't think they really made a long-term solution for. It may be that modern day in the last two games has been sort of a buffer while they flesh out the story, and improve modern day gameplay. It may also be just the future of the modern day storyline (admittedly, not my preference).

I-Like-Pie45
11-07-2015, 10:43 PM
Da thang is, if you eva wanna peep a playable third thug protagonist and big modern day dat goes beyond either a: chillin up in a room readin emails b: hustlin round up in places wit no enemies or c: fightin enemies dat have no sense of modern fightin stylez than you gotta haveta brang the oldschool portion forward. Y'all KNOW dat in yo heart even if you denyin' it! Only then will there be gameplay dat can accompany a modern day segment without seemin wack n' don't require Ubisoft ta pimp costly systems dat is ghon be barely used anyhow.

So you betta start freestylin and droppin rhymes to Yves bout tha much you want dat WW2, Jazz Age, or Miami Crack War AC, homie. 'Cause then Ubi can just paste the game mechanics over in modern day and word up it gone be dope!

flavorcountry19
11-07-2015, 11:42 PM
all i want is more coherent modern day stuff! like in AC3 it wasn't half bad you had fun platforming things, fights, and progress added to the story! i really wish they would just stick to their original vision of 80% history 20% modern(that is in no way a factual quote but just thats what the past games were) instead its 99% history and 1% modern cutscenes! i want to actualy play as someone again! why not just kinda add another desmond or something? like take one of these helix bozos and make them like want to help the assassins so they look into that persons family tree and then hook him up to a animus and train him like they did desmond!

Ziiimmie
11-08-2015, 11:28 AM
They're not cutting it down because of criticism. They're cutting it down because it's a big investment and that since people who like the modern day are a minority, they decided that it's not a worthy one. I like the way Syndicate has it. I don't understand why people want playable Modern Day. In AC I, we could only walk around and read emails. In AC II, we had fighting but it was silly as hell because the small size of the modern guaranteed copy-paste gameplay from the historical section, which made for such a silly section where Abstergo fights you with friggin sticks.

Ubisoft Developers listen to mainstream criticism plain and simple, Connor was heavily criticised and completely dropped off the face of the earth in the AC universe and yeah sure we only read emails and walked around in the modern day components of most games but each game felt like it was slowly building up to something super cool and exciting with the lingering end of the world/bleeding effect stuff then all of sudden all we do is touch a orb and then bam instead were quite literally our damn selves on our couch playing video games whilst assassins tap in randomly and go "hey us modern day guys are still here remember us?" and then some mediocre cut scenes play.

The story makes no sense as well why on earth would Abstergo make public who the Templars and assassins are merely for 'entertainment products' the story has been botched and that's why people generally hate it syndicate certainly put it on the right track but still the huge potential hasn't been utilised at all. Even if we don't get game play i'd like to see this whole "you are the main character" stuff thrown out the window and just instead give us concise cut scenes with another character entering the animus.

Assassin_M
11-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Ubisoft Developers listen to mainstream criticism plain and simple, Connor was heavily criticised and completely dropped off the face of the earth in the AC universe and yeah sure we only read emails and walked around in the modern day components of most games but each game felt like it was slowly building up to something super cool and exciting with the lingering end of the world/bleeding effect stuff then all of sudden all we do is touch a orb and then bam instead were quite literally our damn selves on our couch playing video games whilst assassins tap in randomly and go "hey us modern day guys are still here remember us?" and then some mediocre cut scenes play.
Lets get Connor out of this, Edward was very popular and he got no game and neither did Haytham, so that point is moot. If they ONLY listened to mainstream criticism, they'd have COMPLETELY dropped the modern day (Truth be told, Unity came very close to that). The fact is, most people don't care about modern day. That's not criticism, that's just common sense because the fun lies in the historical story where everything is 5x more interesting.

As you just admitted, you don't need very substantial gameplay to build up towards something awesome. For all we know, the series could be building towards something really cool.

The story makes no sense as well why on earth would Abstergo make public who the Templars and assassins are merely for 'entertainment products' the story has been botched and that's why people generally hate it syndicate certainly put it on the right track but still the huge potential hasn't been utilised at all. Even if we don't get game play i'd like to see this whole "you are the main character" stuff thrown out the window and just instead give us concise cut scenes with another character entering the animus.
Abstergo didn't make the Assassins and Templars public, actually. The Assassins and Templars are public knowledge, in case you didn't know. The Hashashin order of AC I is based on the real life order of the same name that existed publicly until the 1250s. The Templars are also a real life order that existed publicly until the 1320s. Every product that Abstergo shows, AFTER these time periods, has the Templar and Assassin conflict and names completely edited and erased.

Again, what difference would it make whether you're you or another character?

Ziiimmie
11-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Lets get Connor out of this, Edward was very popular and he got no game and neither did Haytham, so that point is moot. If they ONLY listened to mainstream criticism, they'd have COMPLETELY dropped the modern day (Truth be told, Unity came very close to that). The fact is, most people don't care about modern day. That's not criticism, that's just common sense because the fun lies in the historical story where everything is 5x more interesting.

As you just admitted, you don't need very substantial gameplay to build up towards something awesome. For all we know, the series could be building towards something really cool.

Abstergo didn't make the Assassins and Templars public, actually. The Assassins and Templars are public knowledge, in case you didn't know. The Hashashin order of AC I is based on the real life order of the same name that existed publicly until the 1250s. The Templars are also a real life order that existed publicly until the 1320s. Every product that Abstergo shows, AFTER these time periods, has the Templar and Assassin conflict and names completely edited and erased.

Again, what difference would it make whether you're you or another character?

I'm not talking about Connor being given another game, i was talking about him simply being present in the AC universe as a whole he has been given zero closure both Edward and Haytham have been given extensions to their characters or at least closure.

Forsaken (Haytham)
AC Syndicate (Exploring Edwards house)
The end of AC:IV (Edward)

Connor has been given no such closure or extension to his character his simply vanished, i mean in AC III one of the characters invites Connor to visit Paris one day and he says something along the lines of "maybe" or something like that very roughly remembering this at the moment they could have easily given him a cameo in Unity if they wanted but nope.

And about Abstergo muting or deleting the presence of the ASSASSINS/TEMPLAR war in their products, that's exactly what i thought as well until i saw the new comic books WHICH WERE CONFIRMED AS BEING EXTENSIONS TO THE AC LORE BTW with this frame

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AC-FINAL-Selection_preview1.jpg

(i don't know how to upload pictures sorry) but the player is clearly discussing the Templar/Assassins war whilst viewing a memory of a 1825 assassin one of the players says and i quote "LIKE YOU WOULDN'T JOIN THE TEMPLARS IF THEY ACTUALLY EXISTED" this fourth wall breaking stuff is just lame to me and a lot of fans agree we want proper characters!! The big difference to having a character compared to being the character is DEPTH.

dxsxhxcx
11-09-2015, 12:35 PM
I'd like to see this whole "you are the main character" stuff thrown out the window and just instead give us concise cut scenes with another character entering the animus.

I agree, they could still use "us" and the whole Initiates thing through the course of the year while advertising the game, making us find hints on the internet and stuff like that, they should bring back the Abstergo website and its backdoor, completely revamp the Initiates platform and make it totally immersive without the mention of Ubisoft or Assassin's Creed as a game like the Abstergo website used to do (make us interact with Bishop and the others there and solve puzzles, among other things), create an app called "The Erudito network" and add stuff there as well (it could send us encrypted messages that'll give us different levels of access to Abstergo employees' (that are Templars, of course) and Assassins' email accounts so we can "stay in the loop"), and then when the game is finally released, mention a few things we did here and there.

IMO this approach would make our role in the game's universe much more believable and immersive than it is now, I would much rather see someone else's using the animus (if this protagonist don't want to do anything about the events of the game that would be his/her problem, not mine) than continue being this passive "protagonist" we are now just playing along with the Assassins without question anything.

There are many things Ubisoft could do in this department, and it's a shame that they don't do it or simply don't put enough effort in their attempts to make it work.

Assassin_M
11-09-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm not talking about Connor being given another game, i was talking about him simply being present in the AC universe as a whole he has been given zero closure both Edward and Haytham have been given extensions to their characters or at least closure.

Forsaken (Haytham)
AC Syndicate (Exploring Edwards house)
The end of AC:IV (Edward)

Connor has been given no such closure or extension to his character his simply vanished, i mean in AC III one of the characters invites Connor to visit Paris one day and he says something along the lines of "maybe" or something like that very roughly remembering this at the moment they could have easily given him a cameo in Unity if they wanted but nope.

Forsaken does not give closure to Haytham, we got closure for Haytham in AC III. Foraken had been planned since before AC III came out. Syndciate offers nothing substantially new and we get to explore more of the Kenways because we're in London. If we get another game in the USA and Connor gets no mention, then you'd have a solid case.

About Connor going to France, did you maybe think that maybe maybe he just didn't fit in their storyline? Heck, the guy who actually invited Connor doesn't even appear in the game. Did you know that Connor got the longest DLC content from any other Assassin?

And about Abstergo muting or deleting the presence of the ASSASSINS/TEMPLAR war in their products, that's exactly what i thought as well until i saw the new comic books WHICH WERE CONFIRMED AS BEING EXTENSIONS TO THE AC LORE BTW with this frame

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AC-FINAL-Selection_preview1.jpg

(i don't know how to upload pictures sorry) but the player is clearly discussing the Templar/Assassins war whilst viewing a memory of a 1825 assassin one of the players says and i quote "LIKE YOU WOULDN'T JOIN THE TEMPLARS IF THEY ACTUALLY EXISTED" this fourth wall breaking stuff is just lame to me and a lot of fans agree we want proper characters!! The big difference to having a character compared to being the character is DEPTH.

Okay, did you actually read the comic? Spoiler alert, but Charlotte was on a conspiracy website and the dude she's talking to is actually an Assassin.

Farlander1991
11-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Speaking of editing out the conflict, isn't Liberation technically an Abstergo product? Which we hack with Citizen E missions. The game ends with an initiation into the Templar order to show how awesome the Templars are or smth (unless you unlock the secret actual ending, that is). And I think both the Assassins and Templars are mentioned, only it's edited in a way to make Assassins look questionable while Templars favorable.

Assassin_M
11-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Speaking of editing out the conflict, isn't Liberation technically an Abstergo product? Which we hack with Citizen E missions. The game ends with an initiation into the Templar order to show how awesome the Templars are or smth (unless you unlock the secret actual ending, that is). And I think both the Assassins and Templars are mentioned, only it's edited in a way to make Assassins look questionable while Templars favorable.
Who even played Liberation? :rolleyes:

Farlander1991
11-09-2015, 09:13 PM

People who didn't care for the online experience of Animus products from AC3 and AC4 multiplayer :p

Or do you mean in the real world? :rolleyes:

cawatrooper9
11-09-2015, 10:50 PM

I actually thought it was a pretty solid title. Not a lot of great contributions to the overarching storyline, but I think it still beats Unity... :rolleyes:

SpringBog199283
11-10-2015, 07:49 AM
I feel like there should be an A.C. set during the Mission years of the Spanish when they conquered Central and South America OR a game set during the San Francisco Gold Rush. Either of these options would create whole new worlds for the Assassins and Templar to fight it out in.
Just an idea,
Kevin