PDA

View Full Version : Can you please make the modern day more interactive?

argetfalcon
11-05-2015, 08:01 AM
I know some people don't like the modern day, but if they don't like it they can ignore and skip the story and just play jumpy stabby game.

I've been with this series since the first game and i've loved the story and how it connects present to past. Ever since Desmond died I hate how degraded the modern day play has gotten, (and I find the first person initiate stuff rather irksome), it was nonexistent in Unity, and in Syndicate it just gave us movie clips. Stop catering to the people who are too lazy to follow the story.

And if you don't like the modern story FINE, but stop ruining it for the people who do.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-05-2015, 05:02 PM
I know some people don't like the modern day, but if they don't like it they can ignore and skip the story and just play jumpy stabby game...

That's not how it has worked in the past. Most times it wasn't something you could just skip. If it is, then sure. Otherwise, please don't ruin the game for those of us who hate the modern day story!

driveinns
11-05-2015, 05:43 PM
I agree with the OP here, I like the modern day and the connection of stories from past to present. I would like that to come back in a more connected way. I don't need heaps of time spent there, just some big story on the modern end to give impetus to exploring the past like in the original like 5 games. :)

Pr0metheus 1962
11-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Presumably it was removed because most players didn't like it. If it's ever going to return, it would have to do so in a way that was palatable to all players.

CarthageBP
11-05-2015, 07:41 PM
The modern day missions were a key story element from day 1 in the very first AC. They were a critical element all the way to AC3. Black Flag and Rogue used modern day differently, but it was still and important element and moved the story forward.

If all you want is a historical stabby-stabby game, I would argue that you don't actually want an Assassin's Creed game.

Eduard413
11-06-2015, 08:24 PM
The modern day missions were a key story element from day 1 in the very first AC. They were a critical element all the way to AC3. Black Flag and Rogue used modern day differently, but it was still and important element and moved the story forward.

If all you want is a historical stabby-stabby game, I would argue that you don't actually want an Assassin's Creed game.

damn right! Desmond was the best character in the series and only casual players that don't care about the story hated Desmond... and also newcomers who were lazy to actually play the AC saga from the start
I still love this series and Unity and Syndicate are good games, but still, I will always miss the Epic, Mysterious Plot-twisted story that we had with Desmond
thx Ubisoft, they tried to improve it in Syndicate and I hope that they will continue in this path because Syndicate finally developed the story, not very much but I felt that finally something happened unlike Unity...

also the ending to AC syndicate - Modern Day ending was great, I really liked that revelation that Violet is another Instrument of Juno and I felt that maybe Juno is finally making some big progress
but ending to Evie and Jacob was just stupid, story was great but that ending.... felt like child-teenager cartoon...

Pr0metheus 1962
11-06-2015, 08:42 PM
I've been invested in AC since AC1 hit the shelves, so I'm hardly a casual AC player, and I love the story - even the modern day story. But I loathed Desmond: he was whiny, ungrateful and just no fun to be around, and the game had us be around him far too much. I was so glad when they killed him off.

But the larger point here is that AC is at its core a game about historical tourism. The modern day story is just the vector to get into the past. As such, it has to be in the background until or unless it gets a really compelling reason to come to the fore, and Ubisoft hasn't given us that yet, probably because the writers the company hires either can't or won't, or aren't given enough resources to, write a compelling modern day narrative. The game had its chance to do that, and the developers blew it time after time. It's a bit late for them to get serious about the modern day story now.

Gehab
11-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Agreed. After seeing the awesome ending of AC2, I was instatly hooked on the modern day story. Very tragic to see that it's not treated like it was before.

Eduard413
11-06-2015, 11:00 PM
I've been invested in AC since AC1 hit the shelves, so I'm hardly a casual AC player, and I love the story - even the modern day story. But I loathed Desmond: he was whiny, ungrateful and just no fun to be around, and the game had us be around him far too much. I was so glad when they killed him off.

But the larger point here is that AC is at its core a game about historical tourism. The modern day story is just the vector to get into the past. As such, it has to be in the background until or unless it gets a really compelling reason to come to the fore, and Ubisoft hasn't given us that yet, probably because the writers the company hires either can't or won't, or aren't given enough resources to, write a compelling modern day narrative. The game had its chance to do that, and the developers blew it time after time. It's a bit late for them to get serious about the modern day story now.

Desmond was not whiny, only in AC3 and I liked it - I think Desmond had a great developmenet of the Character and also his story was great and the ending to his story was on one hand Epic and Good but on the other hand kinda bad
But back to Desmond being whiny - imagine yourself in such situation like he was... you are the choosen one and you know that you are the only one that can save the world but you only have 2 months to figure out how to find the thing (key) to actually do it and also you don't know what to do when you find the key - So it was believable that he felt more angry (when he was ungrateful and angry at his dad or when he shouted at Juno) I would be under pressure too just like him. Also he killed his kinda girlfriend which he loved but Apple/Juno showed him that he must do it because she will betray them, so that kinda makes you sad and angry too I think

First when I finished AC3 back in 2012 I was really angry at the game because they killed Desmond , but after half-year when AC4 was announced, I actually started to love AC3 even more and I think with ACB it has the best MD story - even the ending was great and kinda epic with some problems (not enough emotions because Desmond didn't sayed goodbye to good friends Rebecca and Shaun - Mass Effect 3 did a Better job , I actually cried at the end of that game) so atleast we can replay Great Desmond saga any time we want
and I will repeat myself, but I also really love AC4, AC Rogue and I like Unity and Syndicate but I think these game would be even better if they had a great MD story like Desmond had
last year I was so dissapointed with MD in Unity, but this year Syndicate gave me hope that the story can actually develop again, even without gameplay - I also wrote my ideas how they can improve this with adding no gameplay on different thread