PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions for IL2:FB

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 01:18 PM
My suggestions are nothing to do with flight models, physics models or any technical aspect of FB. They focus mainly on details that would be irrelevant to the casual player of this simulation.

Fuel: Fuel in many games (eg. racing car sims) is treated differently than I would like. For some reason the amount of fuel specified is never in Litres/Imp.gallons/US gallons depending on the application. No, its in laps or in FB its as a percentage of the total fuel capacity. This approach may be easier to program or more convenient but it means the player may never know the capacity of his fuel tank or his fuel consumption. I don't actually know how in WWII fighter pilots specified fuel. The possibilities are it was either in Litres/Gallons to nearest 10L or in terms of the multiple fuel tanks on these aircraft. My point would be to have an option in 'Difficulty' to specify either a percentage as now or Litres/gallons etc (dependant on aircraft).Also to state somewhere fuel consumption in Litres/gallons per hour for particular aircraft. A certain percentage of inaccuracy could be programmed in.

Difficulty: This button should be on the main menu screen as it is important. You could still have `Difficulty' located where it is with `Fly' and `Arming' but also have it on the main menu.I wouldn't call it `Difficulty' either, I would label it as `Flight Aids'. The difficulty of this simulation is comprised of:

1. Number/type/ability of opposing aircraft
2. Weather/terrain
3. Player aircraft type
4. Runway type

as well as the `Difficulty' plus other factors. Perhaps missions should be rated by their difficulty.

Arming planes: In FB there is now an extra screen for the weapons loadout of other aircraft. An option to skip this screen would speed up getting to the mission. If this extra information was combined with the `Aircraft Customization' this would solve this. I suspect may players pass through this screen without altering anything mostly.

Switches: Toggle swithces on menus should always be labelled ie. On/Off, Yes/No. Having no markings makes it difficult to know if it is activated or not.

Text Messages: I know that these can be sitched off. In the heat of combat there are lots of messages. If say 3 lines right at the top of the screen were used, and they were quickly overwritten this would stop large amounts of text obscuring the targets.

The player can start a mission in flight or on the runway. An option to start at the hanger and taxi to the runway would add something as well as options to refuel or re-arm.

Regards
PW

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 01:18 PM
My suggestions are nothing to do with flight models, physics models or any technical aspect of FB. They focus mainly on details that would be irrelevant to the casual player of this simulation.

Fuel: Fuel in many games (eg. racing car sims) is treated differently than I would like. For some reason the amount of fuel specified is never in Litres/Imp.gallons/US gallons depending on the application. No, its in laps or in FB its as a percentage of the total fuel capacity. This approach may be easier to program or more convenient but it means the player may never know the capacity of his fuel tank or his fuel consumption. I don't actually know how in WWII fighter pilots specified fuel. The possibilities are it was either in Litres/Gallons to nearest 10L or in terms of the multiple fuel tanks on these aircraft. My point would be to have an option in 'Difficulty' to specify either a percentage as now or Litres/gallons etc (dependant on aircraft).Also to state somewhere fuel consumption in Litres/gallons per hour for particular aircraft. A certain percentage of inaccuracy could be programmed in.

Difficulty: This button should be on the main menu screen as it is important. You could still have `Difficulty' located where it is with `Fly' and `Arming' but also have it on the main menu.I wouldn't call it `Difficulty' either, I would label it as `Flight Aids'. The difficulty of this simulation is comprised of:

1. Number/type/ability of opposing aircraft
2. Weather/terrain
3. Player aircraft type
4. Runway type

as well as the `Difficulty' plus other factors. Perhaps missions should be rated by their difficulty.

Arming planes: In FB there is now an extra screen for the weapons loadout of other aircraft. An option to skip this screen would speed up getting to the mission. If this extra information was combined with the `Aircraft Customization' this would solve this. I suspect may players pass through this screen without altering anything mostly.

Switches: Toggle swithces on menus should always be labelled ie. On/Off, Yes/No. Having no markings makes it difficult to know if it is activated or not.

Text Messages: I know that these can be sitched off. In the heat of combat there are lots of messages. If say 3 lines right at the top of the screen were used, and they were quickly overwritten this would stop large amounts of text obscuring the targets.

The player can start a mission in flight or on the runway. An option to start at the hanger and taxi to the runway would add something as well as options to refuel or re-arm.

Regards
PW

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Looks like good suggestions to me.

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 08:40 AM
-- as well as options to refuel or re-arm.

*BRILLIANT*

With refuel and re-arm depending on aircraft type, and it leaves you sitting vulnerable on the airfield for maybe 1/2 hour or longer (no arcade instant refuel/re-arm like in Flanker). /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

This is FB Most Needed Feature.

We could use FMB to create frontline combat lasting from sunrise to sunset, perhaps with a little help from a program we write that creates ~huge~ "mis" files.

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 08:55 AM
http://www.boardy.de/images/smilies/ylflower.gif

Okay, any ideas on how long it took to turn around various aircraft? I dunno, say you sit on airfield for 1 hour if you sim Fw190 or P~40. Longer if Pe~8, shorter if P11c.

Also, if you sit a little longer, you can get fuel leaks Patched--just make the fuel stop leaking. In single missions lasting for more than one player flight, this would really give a reason to make it back to field.

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 01:27 PM
VERY nice suggestions. I like the Runway idea. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

-------------------------------------------
Aircraft of Choice: Storche

Usage: Flying into enemy objects

Reason: The sheer look on the Opponent's face when they see a slow moving "Cessna"-like aircraft, with almost no offensive or defensive capabilites, travelling at a top speed of 20 KM/H, and having that snail-like aircraft collide with that Opponent's Base/Aircraft is priceless. (They are in too much shock to do anything).

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about how long it would take to refuel.On a P-47 or Heinkel quite long but I suppose you could always use the [] keys to accelerate time.

Regards
PW

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 02:10 AM
-- I suppose you could always use the [] keys to accelerate time.

Well no, the point being is that in real life sitting on the airfield with hoses and ammo belts hanging off your plane makes you vulnerable....you may be attacked while sitting on the ground or enemy tanks may roll in and you cant' take off. I don't want Oleg to model *how* we are refueled and re-armed, but it would be nice to have to wait an hour or so before we can start engine again (we have to shut down engine to get refeul and re-arm...at least that part was realistic in Flanker)

AI aircraft formations can be set to appear many hours after mission start so you will still be taking off into battle.

This is more real than the arcade Full Real bragging ritual. You can get lunch or something while you are waiting...like real pilots did. Anyway the kind of missions I plan can't handle any time acceleration at all cos they are maxed out on AI aircraft.