PDA

View Full Version : Recycled Audio

cawatrooper9
11-02-2015, 05:48 PM
I've been away for a few days, so forgive me if someone's already brought this up (my brief search didn't find anything).

One of my biggest issues with Syndicate (and I love the game for the most part) is how often they still use recycled audio. It's almost N64 era bad.

Almost everytime I kidnap a Templar, I have to suffer through the same lines of dialogue several times, often with just a second or two or a break in between. It's absolutely ridiculous!

Obviously the best way to address this would be to add more and varied dialogue. GTA (as much as I generally hate that franchise) not only records tons of dialogue for their characters, but often included slightly varied versions of conversations so players don't have to listen to the same thing over and over again if they are failing the mission.

But even if recording more dialogue for a character isn't a realistic fix (though I don't see why not) we could at least pace out how often a character speaks the same lines. Silence can sometimes be awkward in games, but it's significantly better than a character repeating themselves into oblivion.

For the record, Syndicate isn't alone in this. I also thought that Bellec's lines in the fight with him in Unity (again, which I otherwise liked) were far too recycled. Then, of course, the "Thief! I'll have your hand for that!" lines and their ilk in AC1 got old really fast, but that was the better part of a decade ago now, so it's forgivable. Syndicate, released in 2015, shouldn't have avoidable issues like this.