PDA

View Full Version : Belgium's Independance

Jawahunter47
11-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Hi guys, I was thinking about the next possible setting for an AC game and looked at some polls etc.
I realised nobody talked about Belgium (Small (and insignificant?) country perhaps , but still ,this could e a very good setting for an AC game.
The time periode would be about 1820-1840, When Belgium and the Netherlands were still one country. The French revolution had a big influence on the Belgian revolutionaries who where tired of Dutch King Willem of Nassau.
The different cities could be Brusssels, The Hague (both capitals of The united kingdom of the netherlands at that time), Amsterdam, Antwerp, Ghent and/ or Liege, Bruges. I am obviously a bit biased since I'm Belgian and am currently studying belgian history, but this would really make for a great game i believe.
The catholics and the liberals (on the belgian side) decided to form an alliance to get rid of the Dutch and bloody battles followed in Brussels and other cities.
It's a fight between Belgian catholics and dutch protestants, between french speaking and dutch speaking. After the independance belgian became a very rich country (second industrialised country behind England) so there is a lot of interesting stuff going on out there in this period.
Another time period could be The era of Congo as a belgian colony and the belgian tiranny on the local population.
These both settings seem to be perfect for an AC game but I would like to get your guys opinion on this since i am a little biased :p . MY fear is that Ubisoft will probably not do a game in this region because of the fact that nobody is asking for it ( or almost nobody) and that this story in history is not as known to all people as the french republic is .
Anyways guys let me know what you think !

strigoi1958
11-02-2015, 12:46 AM
There's no reason why Belgium should not be considered, The Knights Templars dispersed across Europe and across other continents. Provided the setting could be good, historically and geographically.... and preferably with notable people or a big event... then Belgium is as good as anywhere else.

You have Het Steen a beautiful medieval fortress, the 13th century church of our lady in Bruges and obviously Waterloo battlefield. There are some notable moments and wars.
People you have Charlemagne, Baldwin the IX, and Godfrey of Bouillon (both from holy crusades and Godfrey refused to be king of Jerusalem, Vesalius, Mercator,Minuit and Rubens to name a few... it would just be a case of whether enough things could be involved and the story could intertwine with characters and buildings... and if Ubi felt it would get enough interest.

Going4Quests
11-02-2015, 02:12 PM
I'm in (for Flanders).

http://i.imgur.com/68utttH.png

ze_topazio
11-02-2015, 02:58 PM
^ Assassin's Creed 27, lol.

Going4Quests
11-02-2015, 03:09 PM
:D

strigoi1958
11-02-2015, 04:01 PM
oh Flanders as in Belgium.... I may have got the wrong idea

http://s1.postimg.org/m90yzyzpb/neda.gif

Jawahunter47
11-02-2015, 11:43 PM
There's no reason why Belgium should not be considered, The Knights Templars dispersed across Europe and across other continents. Provided the setting could be good, historically and geographically.... and preferably with notable people or a big event... then Belgium is as good as anywhere else.

You have Het Steen a beautiful medieval fortress, the 13th century church of our lady in Bruges and obviously Waterloo battlefield. There are some notable moments and wars.
People you have Charlemagne, Baldwin the IX, and Godfrey of Bouillon (both from holy crusades and Godfrey refused to be king of Jerusalem, Vesalius, Mercator,Minuit and Rubens to name a few... it would just be a case of whether enough things could be involved and the story could intertwine with characters and buildings... and if Ubi felt it would get enough interest.

I think the most important reason for ubi not to make an ac around belgium is the fact that there are so many other locations people are asking for, they wont get a lot of appreciation for this, except for a few belgians maybe. But still belgium would make an excellent location for me, with Holland implemented too if its during the independance.

Another reason would be the fact that this part of history is not widely known as the french revolution for example, is.

But you could have a very interesting story You could even have a trilogy like with the ezio story, starting with belgium's independance set in Belgian and Dutch cities, followed by Leopold 2's tiranny over Congo with focused gameplay in Congo, and end with the first world war with Albert the first with the focus more on England France, Flanders Fields and Germany. but that is an utopy of course. But it is not a bad thing to dream

and besides the people you named, karl marx lived in belgium in the 1840's if im correct . Rimbaud and Verlaine, two very famous franch writers also lived in belgium but later towards the 1900's, You also have Empain, who organised the public transports in brussels and later in France, Russia, Congo, Egypt , eastern countries such as moldav ia and oezbekistan and other european countries.

strigoi1958
11-03-2015, 02:34 AM
Also... previous AC games have been spread over different cities and different countries so there is no reason why Belgium could not be involved as part of a game that included other countries as well... not just Holland but also other European countries and Africa.
Don't forget Leopold I ties to Germany and the Russian army commission he took to fight Napoleon even though the French later helped him. He also married an English princess. There are lots of key points that would make a good AC game but I think it would more likely be considered as interesting mainly to Europeans and not as marketable globally.

Jawahunter47
11-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Also... previous AC games have been spread over different cities and different countries so there is no reason why Belgium could not be involved as part of a game that included other countries as well... not just Holland but also other European countries and Africa.
Don't forget Leopold I ties to Germany and the Russian army commission he took to fight Napoleon even though the French later helped him. He also married an English princess. There are lots of key points that would make a good AC game but I think it would more likely be considered as interesting mainly to Europeans and not as marketable globally.

Exactly! so the game could be set mainly in belgium but for a considerable part in the other countries! i feel we are starting to develop a nice concept here :D

Jessigirl2013
11-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Sounds interesting.

I'm one of the people who are hoping they don't do Japan as a main AC game.:rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum OP :rolleyes: and good points

Jawahunter47
11-04-2015, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the forum OP :rolleyes: and good points

Thanks man !

Jessigirl2013
11-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks man !

No problem :rolleyes:
I give credit where its due :cool: