PDA

View Full Version : Should the Twins return for a sequel?

Sorrosyss
10-31-2015, 11:41 AM
Looking across the Internets, there does seem to be a lot of love for the Twins - especially for Evie.

Thus I ask, would you like to see them return for another game? Would you perhaps prefer a solo game for either twin? Or are you just happy to move on to someone new? How did the dual protagonist mechanic work for you?

KittyRino
10-31-2015, 11:52 AM
There will be another AC game seriously? :(
Dont you think a little break for 3 years would be nice.
Every single year there is another broken AC game.
They should take time and make great AC.
And maybe next year new Prince of Persia game instead of AC.

BananaBlighter
10-31-2015, 12:01 PM
I love the twins, but they only work together. I'd even like a trilogy with them!

heavy_rotation89
10-31-2015, 12:12 PM
I'd like to see them return for a sequel, I really like Evie's character and I'm happy for Jacob to stay for the sake of his fans, cause I'd be gutted if they brought Just Jacob back in a sequel & no Evie. :) I would like a new location though, Victorian London looks real nice, but I'm not big on the wide roads or basically anything that gets in the way of parkour, and I also wouldn't mind if they lost their grappling hooks on their way to the next location! xD

I thought the dual protagonists was a nice idea, though I can't say much on it because I haven't got that far into the game yet, but from what I have seen so far I'm guessing to play as either Jacob or Evie through ALL missions wouldn't make much sense given their views on each others objectives, but I probably would of been happy to be Evie through every mission if I could. I think they could of been more different as far as game play, I would of loved to have seen some crazy acrobatic style combat from Evie, and some brutal stuff from jacob, lifting enforcers up over his head and chucking them through a fence etc xD

What are your thoughts?

VestigialLlama4
10-31-2015, 12:27 PM
The thing is this is the late Victorian 19th Century, a time of travel and international connections, so you can have Jacob and Evie touring the various hotspots of the world. You can send them to America, to Paris in 1871 (the time of the commune), you can send them to Russia and Germany. Likewise India, and Africa.

Pandassin
10-31-2015, 12:28 PM
I'd LOVE a sequel, or even a trilogy of the Frye twins. They have a lot of potential to make a great one.

However I doubt it will happen due to the Jack the Ripper DLC since it takes place 20 years later. Which is a shame, I'd really, really love a sequel with these guys.

RaggedTyper
10-31-2015, 12:48 PM
Yes, they need a sequel! They have so much potential!
Ezio gained legendary status because we got to see the full scope of his life. The franchise needs another protagonist we can go on a real journey with again and Jacob and Evie are likeable enough to do that.

RobertMcSassin
10-31-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm completely up for any number of games featuring these two...(Hell, three...Properly loved the Lydia Frye stuff too!...)...(Wait...Four...Forgot about Henry...He's properly awesome too... :D ...)...

I absolutely love the way the twins have worked together...I have had massive fun doing the Jacob missions, but the Evie ones that follow them up are properly brilliant too...

I've loved all the side stuff...Every one of the associates have been brilliant...So brilliant I actually felt genuinely sad when the questline is ended...

And I know it's PS4 exclusive, but the whole Dreadful Crimes thing was properly awesome from start to finish...

I love everything about this game...(Well...Maybe not the races...But that's more to do with my ineptitude than them)...I've played every AC game, in order, to their very depths - optional objecitves aside - and have, to varying degrees, enjoyed all of them...Some I love, some I don't...My point is, I've played them all, in order and this one is my absolute favourite...So while my heart will always wish for a decent Connor sequel...(Yeah-yeah...Whatever...)...I have had so much fun with these two, the story and the frequently hilarious script that I'm now genuinely hoping there's some sequel action to come...

Syndicate gave me some huge hope - and joy - for the series again...I was...Perhaps...Flagging a little...After not entirely loving Black Flag and Unity...Though I did enjoy Unity's story, as far as that which did not directly involve the vengeful idiot bint...(Not fan of the co-op either...But that's just my old-school preferences...)...And Rogue was the most fun I'd had with AC in a goodly long while tbh...

But Jacob and Evie?...Hell yeah!!...Moarrrrr!!... :D ...

Pr0metheus 1962
10-31-2015, 02:33 PM
Looking across the Internets, there does seem to be a lot of love for the Twins - especially for Evie.

Thus I ask, would you like to see them return for another game? Would you perhaps prefer a solo game for either twin? Or are you just happy to move on to someone new? How did the dual protagonist mechanic work for you?

I would love to see Jacob and Evie return. The series needs to find another strong character like Ezio, and we have a good start with the twins. If the sequel must have a solo protagonist, I could easily see Evie as that - surely, at this point, she's proven that a woman can be the lead in an AC game. Also, I find it really sad that I still need to write sentences like that last one in 2015!

I loved the dual protagonist mechanic, although it was heavily weighted towards Jacob (I think we got to play only 1/3rd of the story missions as Evie) Seems the developers still have a "woman problem" - although at least they've stopped killing them, which is good). The developers seem to think that players want male leads - it's quaint and very Victorian, but they need to get beyond the routine sexism because I think it's holding them back story-wise. Also, they basically ignored the idea that Jacob was a brawler and that Evie's style was stealth-based - Jacob kept getting stealth missions, which got really frustrating, especially since I focused on building up Evie's stealth for the reason that I thought she'd need those skills.

I'd actually like to see games feature even more player-controlled characters - GTAV had 3, Until Dawn has 8, which sounds too much, but it works great!

Journey93
10-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Hell no, I really didn't like them that much and hope they don't return. I would rather have a sequel with freaking Connor! Edward has been the only dude who deserved a sequel though (since Ezio).

But the Multiple protags idea was good, I hope that returns but with more difference in gameplay between the protags and more evenly divided missions.

ModernWaffle
10-31-2015, 06:41 PM
Doesn't Evie say she will go with Henry to India a year after 1868. Might be a long shot, but would be interesting if we go to India and get Jacob, Evie and Henry all as playable in the next instalment. In any case, it would be nice to have returning protagonists but only if they get more development otherwise it might get stale quickly.

If they introduce a new protagonist, I would like to see someone like Shay, heavy focus on doing what is morally right and someone who doesn't like killing. During early 2014 with rumours on Rogue and Unity, I remember reading somewhere that the new protagonist would be an older businessman with a family of his own and this struck me as a more fresh idea.

Whilst I do like Ezio, Edward, Arno and Jacob and don't see them as clones as such, they all have similar traits with the partial arrogance, clever wit, ruthlessness and youth etc. and hence I would like to see an older assassin with more modesty and experience take the lead next year (kind of what Ezio was like in Revelations).

BananaBlighter
10-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Doesn't Evie say she will go with Henry to India a year after 1868. Might be a long shot, but would be interesting if we go to India and get Jacob, Evie and Henry all as playable in the next instalment. In any case, it would be nice to have returning protagonists but only if they get more development otherwise it might get stale quickly.

If they introduce a new protagonist, I would like to see someone like Shay, heavy focus on doing what is morally right and someone who doesn't like killing. During early 2014 with rumours on Rogue and Unity, I remember reading somewhere that the new protagonist would be an older businessman with a family of his own and this struck me as a more fresh idea.

Whilst I do like Ezio, Edward, Arno and Jacob and don't see them as clones as such, they all have similar traits with the partial arrogance, clever wit, ruthlessness and youth etc. and hence I would like to see an older assassin with more modesty and experience take the lead next year (kind of what Ezio was like in Revelations).

I'll be quite disappointed if Jacob and Evie are exactly the same in the Jack the Ripper campaign, seeing as it's set 20 years later, I'd expect them to have some character development by then.

VestigialLlama4
10-31-2015, 09:03 PM
I'll be quite disappointed if Jacob and Evie are exactly the same in the Jack the Ripper campaign, seeing as it's set 20 years later, I'd expect them to have some character development by then.

I think it will be different. Jacob will obviously be a father by then and he might not even be playable.

LoyalACFan
11-01-2015, 01:33 AM
Nah, I don't want a sequel. Unless it's a complete tonal shift. Syndicate was way too corny for its own good (I actually laughed out loud at the ending. I mean, holy hell, that was bad. Really bad).

Plus I'm completely burned out on early modern Europe and its colonies. Let's go somewhere else, please.

kdnl29_8
11-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Would love a sequel with the twins, have it reverse so Jacob has less missions and Evie has more or an equal 50-50, could be set between the end of the game and Jack the Ripper DLC, could feature Jacob's and Evie's children.

If not would love a full game as Lydia Frye set before and after her Syndicate appearance.

EmbodyingSeven5
11-01-2015, 06:22 PM
I would love to sepnd more time with characters in the AC universe. It creates a special bond between the player and the portag since you've been through so much. I would love a few trilogies here or there in the AC games. It also encourages me to buy a sequel because I want to see what happens to the characters I love so much. It creates a sense of epicness too. I think that's why so many loved Ezio, because we just got more time with him.

RaggedTyper
11-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Unless it's a complete tonal shift. Syndicate was way too corny for its own good (I actually laughed out loud at the ending. I mean, holy hell, that was bad. Really bad).

Do you mean the final mission? I thought I was the only one who was cackling like that. Laughably bad.

Charles_Phipps
11-01-2015, 10:04 PM
The Frye Twins are likable protagonists but they're not exactly DEEP.

They don't change much either.

A sequel would need something more dramatic.

BananaBlighter
11-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Nah, I don't want a sequel. Unless it's a complete tonal shift. Syndicate was way too corny for its own good (I actually laughed out loud at the ending. I mean, holy hell, that was bad. Really bad).

Plus I'm completely burned out on early modern Europe and its colonies. Let's go somewhere else, please.

I actually quite like the humour and general tone of the game, though it should be more mixed, with it being serious at times and then switching often. I hated the ending too but I don't think it was 'funny' or anything, it was just stupid. I wouldn't associate THAT with the general tone of the game.

jfkflevoland
11-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Yes, I would want to see them back. But preferably in a game that takes place a few years later or earlier, not like Ezio that they're old and grey and still jumping from buildings...

crusader_prophet
11-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Yes they should return, but next time around depending on which sibling the player chooses to play, the other sibling should accompany the player in missions as an AI or playable together with a friend. This way we will be able to see their chemistry during the missions and may even develop a climax in the story.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-02-2015, 12:30 AM
...I'm completely burned out on early modern Europe and its colonies. Let's go somewhere else, please.

Since the British Empire spanned 2/3rds of the Earth's surface, and the other European empires took up much of the rest, and since the bits that weren't annexed didn't have much in the way of huge cities (and yes, I realize there were some exceptions), and since Ubisoft seems hellbent on bringing the series into the 20th Century, or at least keeping it in the 18th and 19th Centuries, I don't see much hope for your plea. I'd love to see feudal Japan or China, or 1st to 15th Century anything, or even a game set BCE, but I don't think Ubisoft is willing to do it.

LoyalACFan
11-02-2015, 08:39 AM
Do you mean the final mission? I thought I was the only one who was cackling like that. Laughably bad.

Yes. That fight... oh my god, I was nearly in histrionics.

I actually quite like the humour and general tone of the game, though it should be more mixed, with it being serious at times and then switching often. I hated the ending too but I don't think it was 'funny' or anything, it was just stupid. I wouldn't associate THAT with the general tone of the game.

Personally, I hated it. I agree that the ludicrous ending isn't representative of the entire game's tone, but generally I thought it was much too lighthearted all the way through. I've seen people praise it for "not taking itself too seriously," but IMO that's just a cop-out for writing that lacks any sort of confidence or edge. This game is about murdering people because of their political beliefs. Some moments of levity are fine (and almost necessary, really, to avoid getting bogged down with moralizing and monologuing) but it shouldn't be a goofball buddy comedy. I feel like James Franco and Seth Rogen could make Syndicate into a movie, and that's not what I want AC to be.

cawatrooper9
11-02-2015, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty ambivalent on whether the twins come back. I liked them, but I feel like they got a pretty good and full story arch (as opposed to many other AC protagonists).

However, regardless of whether or not the twins return, I want dual protagonists again (if not more). Also, I'd want them to work together more. The last mission in Syndicate really showcases how cool it is to play as two Assassins working together, and I wish there were more missions like that- even better, would be the ability to change on the fly like in GTA V.

harsab
11-02-2015, 04:47 PM
I feel like if they return (which i want them to) we need to see a much darker/mysterious side to them. Start questioning what they are fighting for & the actual truth.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-02-2015, 05:05 PM
I feel like if they return (which i want them to) we need to see a much darker/mysterious side to them. Start questioning what they are fighting for & the actual truth.

Well, the problem is, we had that with AC3, Rogue and Unity, and each time, the end result was a mess. In my opinion, Ubisoft doesn't have writers that can handle that level of complexity. Heck, they can't seem to handle ANY level of complexity. They can't even seem to fully come to grips with the most basic defining concept of the franchise - that the Templars should not be portrayed as evil, and that the conflict revolves around differences of opinion regarding how to make life better for the people. In each game, they touch on these ideas, but they can't ever seem to truly explore the issues beyond the most superficial level, so they end up defaulting to Templars as moustache twirling villains.

RzaRecta357
11-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Edward got his sequel. A book where he got stabbed to death like a punk!

Anyway, looks like most people LOVE Jacob and Evie. I know I was sold when you could see Jacob was more about the athletics and stabbings while Evie was the opposite. They're great. Also, Evie's smile is cute as hell for a video game character.

Sorrosyss
11-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Yes they should return, but next time around depending on which sibling the player chooses to play, the other sibling should accompany the player in missions as an AI or playable together with a friend. This way we will be able to see their chemistry during the missions and may even develop a climax in the story.

Yeah, I was thinking the same whilst playing. Considering they are a team, they rarely did anything together in Syndicate. If they were put together on all missions it would mean we could switch to either on the fly, or actually bring in online co-op for friends to share the main campaign - something I'd love to see.

RaggedTyper
11-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same whilst playing. Considering they are a team, they rarely did anything together in Syndicate. If they were put together on all missions it would mean we could switch to either on the fly, or actually bring in online co-op for friends to share the main campaign - something I'd love to see.

Make a topic about this and turn it into a sticky! Brilliant idea.

Just to add the reason why Jacob and Evie rarely did missions together is because if you read the notes they had grown further apart due to Jacob's wrecklessness and the fact that they had different goals when they came to London. Since they made up at the end of game I hope we get to do more missions as a team.

dxsxhxcx
11-06-2015, 01:23 PM
No, the only thing ACB did for Ezio was make me hate him, they can always wrap up or add some nice details about the protagonist(s)'s later life in games that take place close to the protagonist(s)'s setting and leave the rest to our imagination, no need to waste a game with the same characters again.

RaggedTyper
11-06-2015, 02:39 PM
No, the only thing ACB did for Ezio was make me hate him

Why?

Assassin_M
11-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Why?
Because he's presented as a Gary Stu with no substance nor progression.

Anyways, no. No more trilogies, no more sagas, no more nothing of the sort. No more dual protagonists either. Dual protagonists are for games that are filled with story. Either a 30 hour game like GTA V or a completely story driven one like Until Dawn. AC: Syndicate was barely 15 hours. The development and progression of the twins was rushed because of that.

Ezio didn't need a second game (Although his arc in AC II was complete crap, but since ACB did nothing to fix that...). Where would they go? They'd only be out of place anywhere they go. Stay in London? Go to India? If we're going to India, I want an Indian Assassin. Ezio felt extremely out of place in ACR. And an Italian meddling in Ottoman affairs just didn't sit right. Not to mention that there was no relatability. We were trying to save the city of Constantinople, but why? Why does Ezio care? We got Ishak Pasha's armor as Ezio. Again, why? Ishak was Yusuf's mentor. It would have filled a very sentimental role for him, but Ezio just waltzes in and takes it. No more of that please.

The twins had their game and that's that. Lets move on.

SectionHades
12-05-2015, 08:20 AM
Please yes, they're way too great.

joelsantos24
12-05-2015, 02:24 PM
NO! Dual protagonists? Jacob and Evie? Never again!

rrebe
12-05-2015, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing both of the twins again in some form, I liked them a lot.

I-Like-Pie45
12-05-2015, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing both of the twins again in some form, I liked them a lot.

well in the next templar game they can both be killed off to show off how deadly and skilled our new templar protagonist is

Senningiri_GR
12-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Oh you and your Prince of Persia... History is more appealing that magic adventures on castles in the sky and skeletons everywhere.

dimbismp
12-05-2015, 06:36 PM
I think that the franchise needs some sort of saga again.Either with one protagonist(Ezio trilogy) or by families,friends etc(Kenway saga).

I was thinking about the current state of the series,and i felt really...confused.ACS was ok,maybe even great,as a standalone game,but as a part of the AC series i would take games like ACR or AC3 any day of the week.What i am trying to say is that with ACU and ACS the series seem to have lost the last bit of narrative consistency.And if Ubi continues with their current strategy"Every year=one game=different setting=different protagonist",i imagine that by 1,2 years' time,i'll be completely fed up with AC.

Maybe it is just nostalgia,but...Love him or hate him(i mean Ezio),he made his name synonymous with the franchise.The more time passes,we will get more and more streamlined protagonists,with a few bright exceptions here and there(like Edward).The main campaign of each game is relatively short,so we rarely get full character arcs.

So,yeah.Another trilogy please(with or without the Frye twins)

bitebug2003
12-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Simple answer

Yes

Going4Quests
12-05-2015, 07:49 PM
Evie Frye!! But voted both because I'd be sad too if Evie would be out. (but for Jacob fans)

VernalBreak
12-06-2015, 04:22 PM
I went with new solo because the twins were bad. I think they were some of the worst protagonists ever in a ubisoft game. The only time I would want another dual protagonist would be if it was Arno and Connor.

ze_topazio
12-06-2015, 04:38 PM
I went with new solo because the twins were bad. I think they were some of the worst protagonists ever in a ubisoft game. The only time I would want another dual protagonist would be if it was Arno and Connor.

Now that's edgy.

Sesheenku
12-06-2015, 07:13 PM
People actually like these basic as hell characters holy crap... No wonder Ubisoft never writes good characters!
They're over there writing characters as deep as a puddle and people are like ERMAGEEEEERD FRYE TWINS SOO KEEEEWL.

You all disgust me. (゚⋀゚; )

Hans684
12-06-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm not interested in Dame Perfect and Sir Idiot Hero, so no.

crusader_prophet
12-06-2015, 08:37 PM
People actually like these basic as hell characters holy crap... No wonder Ubisoft never writes good characters!
They're over there writing characters as deep as a puddle and people are like ERMAGEEEEERD FRYE TWINS SOO KEEEEWL.

You all disgust me. (゚⋀゚; )

LOL that cracked me up. Yeah Jacob is by far the least compelling character in the franchise if not worse than Arno.

However, I think Evie was pretty well acted and scripted, could have been better but certainly not bad. So I wouldn't mind seeing her again.

Megas_Doux
12-07-2015, 02:50 AM
No, Ezio having THREE games and even one short movie is still hurting the franchise.

CrossedEagle
12-08-2015, 01:54 AM
I liked Jacob and Evie well enough, but not as much as everyone else seems to. I honestly don't want a sequel with the Frye twins, especially if it came out next year. I want Ubisoft to take a bit more time with their games. Perhaps if Syndicate didn't take place in the Victorian era I'd like another game with them, but the game felt too modern.

Also, I felt like Syndicate and the WWI rift tied up their story nicely. I imagine the Jack the Ripper DLC will do the same.

crusader_prophet
12-08-2015, 06:41 PM
I want Ubisoft to take a bit more time with their games. Perhaps if Syndicate didn't take place in the Victorian era I'd like another game with them, but the game felt too modern.

And this too.

cawatrooper9
12-08-2015, 07:43 PM
I want Ubisoft to take a bit more time with their games. Perhaps if Syndicate didn't take place in the Victorian era I'd like another game with them, but the game felt too modern.

See (and I don't mean to pick on you, CrossedEagle, welcome to the forums by the way) this is why I don't take the anti-annual release crowd seriously. The argument so often comes bundled with another completely unrelated fact. Syndicate could've been in production as long as the movie Avatar was and it could've turned out perfectly- but even then, that wouldn't change the setting.

It's fine to not like the games, or aspects of them, but being against annualization is not the end-all be-all solution to the problems in the series.

VernalBreak
12-09-2015, 05:20 AM
Now that's edgy.

Arno and Connor were pretty much the only protagonists that acted liked humans. I could actually sympathize with them where I could not with any other character. Also, Connor is only about 10ish years older than Arno so a sequel is possible.

Lord Follman
12-09-2015, 06:58 PM
I like Evie alot. But another sequel with them Im not so sure. Did anyone else prefer Unity's setting and customization and gameplay over Syndicate? Obviously the gameplay was more sharp in Syndicate. But I prefer Unity in everything but story and leads.

Hans684
12-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Maybe Evie hunting Jack The Ripper will be more interesting, so I'll take back my Dame Perfect statement for now. I had interest in Jacob before release because he could become JTR but it's wasted by him realizing recklessness caused a lot of chaos.

VernalBreak
12-09-2015, 07:18 PM
I like Evie alot. But another sequel with them Im not so sure. Did anyone else prefer Unity's setting and customization and gameplay over Syndicate? Obviously the gameplay was more sharp in Syndicate. But I prefer Unity in everything but story and leads.

To me unity was better than syndicate in completely every way. Graphics, customization, combat, story, etc etc.

Lord Follman
12-09-2015, 07:23 PM
To me unity was better than syndicate in completely every way. Graphics, customization, combat, story, etc etc.

I figure it maybe an unpopular opinion around here. I had fun playing Syindicate. But the lack of Customization hurt alot. I mean Evie and Jacob by the end of the game share basically all the same skills. The weapon variety is not there. Minimal outift selection. Dont get me wrong I loved Evie and the story to me was a bit more intriguing then Unity.

But to me Unity was better looking. Better chaotic fun setting. And I for one really enjoyed the co-op and the new customization that was severely limited in Syndicate.

Not to mention i thought the combat in Syindicate looked very unrealistic to me. Still enjoyed the game overall though.

VernalBreak
12-10-2015, 01:33 AM
I would enjoy syndicate ten times more if they just made skills unequipped. Then I could be less overpowered. Unity would skill be better in story graphics and customization, but combat would be a little more even.

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-11-2015, 06:01 AM

dont you have anything ****ing better to do with your time you gay ****

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 06:09 AM
While I do not agree with wolverines use of vulgar language:nonchalance: I think it is a terrible idea to slow down ubisoft; it would still be pretty much the same game if they waited 2 extra years but we would not have two other games. With almost every game they improve and I love that.:D

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-11-2015, 06:15 AM
mate if have been here for the past 3 years then you would under but your new so i can understand your pov

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 06:20 AM
I just in general don't cuss xD. It has nothing to do with be being new. On the topic though, do you think there is anything ubi should do to satisfy both sides? I personally think that they should keep doing yearly releases but just use a little more of user feedback; no one wanted a skill tree,:nonchalance:

X_xWolverinEx_X
12-11-2015, 06:25 AM
i dont know haven't played syndicate yet

D.I.D.
12-11-2015, 07:05 AM
I just in general don't cuss xD. It has nothing to do with be being new. On the topic though, do you think there is anything ubi should do to satisfy both sides? I personally think that they should keep doing yearly releases but just use a little more of user feedback; no one wanted a skill tree,:nonchalance:

You say "no one", but I found the skill trees to be pretty good motivation for actions in the game. I liberated London straight after the first essential missions and didn't come back to the story until I was done. I had a great time because the skills were restricted at that stage, so getting the Objectives was somewhat challenging (and impossible in one or two cases, since I couldn't "Make [x] kill [y]" until replaying later with the drug dart). Then later for the sake of completion of the trees, each square makes a nice bait to keep you doing the things the game wants you to do.

They could have done it AC2-style and made us come back for a new skill unlock from a major character, but that's a bit tedious (especially as a device on subsequent games) and it's unavoidable. You could never avoid having a skill if it was still done that way.

Neither way is ideal, but the tree isn't awful.

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 04:57 PM
I definitely find it awful. Some people are okay with it but ultimately I think most players would have preferred something a little more like unity. Skills but not OP or completely necessary.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 05:11 PM
A thought on the topic of skill trees- since this thread is to discuss possible Frye sequels, do you guys find the idea of unlockable skills problematic?

For instance, if Jacob has fully upgraded his driving skills and Evie has her chameleon ability, would they start off with these abilities fully upgraded in the next game (either by default, or by porting characters over like in Mass Effect)?

In Brotherhood, Ezio's abilities were severely downgraded at the beginning of the game, but that was largely due to a loss of resources and gear- with a slight issue of him being wounded.

Personally, I think the ravages of aging is really the only thing that could explain how the twins would need to build up their skills again- so if we get a Frye sequel, WWI might be the best bet.

D.I.D.
12-11-2015, 07:15 PM
I definitely find it awful. Some people are okay with it but ultimately I think most players would have preferred something a little more like unity. Skills but not OP or completely necessary.

There was a lot of gnashing of teeth about Unity too. Despite the fact that older games required you to meet a character at a certain point in the game to learn how to blend or vanish on benches, they scoffed hard at Unity presenting sitting on a bench as a skill that needed to be learned. Really, the only difference was presentation and player choice, but maybe the friendly NPC thing is preferred because it adds a social layer to the assassin's story. Having those sections built a relationship between us and characters like Paola, Leonardo and Yusuf, and that's an important thing for players to feel. Unity had almost none of that (what's the name of the trainer in the Café Theatre? I couldn't tell you for the life of me) and ended up leaving Arno quite isolated.

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 07:44 PM
A thought on the topic of skill trees- since this thread is to discuss possible Frye sequels, do you guys find the idea of unlockable skills problematic?

For instance, if Jacob has fully upgraded his driving skills and Evie has her chameleon ability, would they start off with these abilities fully upgraded in the next game (either by default, or by porting characters over like in Mass Effect)?

In Brotherhood, Ezio's abilities were severely downgraded at the beginning of the game, but that was largely due to a loss of resources and gear- with a slight issue of him being wounded.

Personally, I think the ravages of aging is really the only thing that could explain how the twins would need to build up their skills again- so if we get a Frye sequel, WWI might be the best bet.

I guess but most players hate skill trees so I doubt ubi would do another one. Or make it like you mentioned where by default all skills are maxed out. Either way I would not play the game unless they dropped skill trees completely.

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 07:46 PM
There was a lot of gnashing of teeth about Unity too. Despite the fact that older games required you to meet a character at a certain point in the game to learn how to blend or vanish on benches, they scoffed hard at Unity presenting sitting on a bench as a skill that needed to be learned. Really, the only difference was presentation and player choice, but maybe the friendly NPC thing is preferred because it adds a social layer to the assassin's story. Having those sections built a relationship between us and characters like Paola, Leonardo and Yusuf, and that's an important thing for players to feel. Unity had almost none of that (what's the name of the trainer in the Café Theatre? I couldn't tell you for the life of me) and ended up leaving Arno quite isolated.

Good points but that leads me more to think that skills shouldn't be a thing. It could be cool however if the character learns things as the story progresses. In all honesty unity was by far the best game.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 08:07 PM
I guess but most players hate skill trees so I doubt ubi would do another one. Or make it like you mentioned where by default all skills are maxed out. Either way I would not play the game unless they dropped skill trees completely.

Really?

Maybe I'm a little out of touch on this particular topic, but I thought skill trees were generally somewhat well received- they at least weren't hated (like the way hoods were handled).

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 10:37 PM
Yes really. Most players I have met were rather disappointed with assassin's creed turning into a grind game and becoming way easy.

cawatrooper9
12-11-2015, 11:06 PM
Yes really. Most players I have met were rather disappointed with assassin's creed turning into a grind game and becoming way easy.

Could you give me some examples? I'm generally curious about this.

Edit: Nevermind, wrong post. See you on the equipping skills post ;)

VernalBreak
12-11-2015, 11:09 PM
I have not met a ton on the forums as I do not have a ton of posts in general; most players in rl agree with me which is quite a few. On the forums still most discussion about the skill system has been negative . Read the unequip skills thread. They have all been negative other than you. In my experience players enjoy the realism and challenge of the game which syndicate simply does not have.

WarfareKiller41
12-11-2015, 11:26 PM
The Frye Twins should definitely return to the sequel!