PDA

View Full Version : Will the story ever reach its potential?[SPOILERS]

dimbismp
10-28-2015, 11:22 PM
Don't get me wrong,ACS has a decent story,which is definitely better than ACU.However,i feel that these games have great potential,which unfortunately hasn't been met yet IMO.

Of course i am talking about the Assassins vs Templars war,the philosophies of these two factions,their methods,the impact their actions have on society etc.We got some glimpses of that in ACS,but i wish there was more.Other games also explored some of these themes to an extent:In AC1 Altair questioned his actions,and whether his targets were indeed evil.In AC3 we got some dialogue between Connor and Haytham about the differences of the two Orders.In ACIV the Creed itself was explored.

What i am trying to say is that,so far,we have only gotten glimpses of what an AC story should be about.Ofc from time to time we should get different type of stories,but i would really love it if we got an AC game focusing exclusively on the philosophy of the two organisations,their similarities,their differences etc.In other words,i want a story that hasn't to do with wars,revolutions,revenge,city liberations,but it focuses on the philosophical part of the whole thing.Ofc,a revolution for example can be tied really well to the contrasting philosophies.However,when the writers tried to merge the two plot points,they ended up focusing on the revolution,the revenge etc

I would like the Assassins to question their actions more often and not be portrayed like saints 90% of the time.The writers should emphasize on the Assassins and Templars being the two sides of the same coin,and not portray them as "(almost entirely)good VS (almost entirely)evil"

I feel that an ideal way to achieve this is to have dual protagonists: one Assassin and one Templar.(Who shouldn't be related at all so that we can avoid the unnecessary drama).That way we could get two different points of view.

From the current writers,i feel that the only one who can achieve something like this is Darby McDevitt,who is responsible for the two best stories so far.I honestly don't care about the time period,i don't even care if it is going to be an open world game...

Do you agree with me?Do you feel that this kind of story has already been written(for example AC1 or AC4)?Do you believe that this is impossible?
Discuss

Eurostar7
10-29-2015, 12:50 AM
In Ezio's games, the Templars and Assassins were very much talked about. Even in the glyphs they gave a glimpse of how Abstergo manipulates and monitors the populace. The Adam and Eve video also gave a glimpse of the initial struggles but that storyline hasnt been fleshed out at all.

The most recent thing about Adam and Eve was in AC Liberation when Aveline got a precursor disk and it played a holographic scene where some of the The Ones Who Came Before asking Eve if she would lead them in a war.

The Ezio games however they took their time with the story and explained much more than ACU and ACS.

VestigialLlama4
10-29-2015, 07:13 AM
What i am trying to say is that,so far,we have only gotten glimpses of what an AC story should be about.Ofc from time to time we should get different type of stories,but i would really love it if we got an AC game focusing exclusively on the philosophy of the two organisations,their similarities,their differences etc.In other words,i want a story that hasn't to do with wars,revolutions,revenge,city liberations,but it focuses on the philosophical part of the whole thing.Ofc,a revolution for example can be tied really well to the contrasting philosophies.However,when the writers tried to merge the two plot points,they ended up focusing on the revolution,the revenge etc

I think philosophy is best explored in context of revolutions, city liberations and the whole thing. That's how it worked in AC3 and Syndicate.

I feel that an ideal way to achieve this is to have dual protagonists: one Assassin and one Templar.(Who shouldn't be related at all so that we can avoid the unnecessary drama).That way we could get two different points of view.

Well, I think multiple protagonists is always a good idea but this feels too cheesy above.

Do you agree with me?Do you feel that this kind of story has already been written(for example AC1 or AC4)?Do you believe that this is impossible?Discuss

For me potential has more to do with other stuff than the Assassin V Templar philosophy. To me the Assassins and Templars are simply metaphors, they only make sense, most of the time, when the historical context is properly presented, and they choose sides within that context. Like with Syndicate, the Templars stand for Victorian capitalism while the Assassins stand for Victorian reforms.

I think that the best way to do a truly philosophical game is to simply present one faction fully. In the really deep stories, like Watchmen for instance, the stories deal with what the heroes do when there are no more villains to fight. To truly show the Assassin philosophy and approach, you need to do a whole game where they are not fighting Templars, but something else. Or like a game where they basically try to help people by righting wrongs. We see this in Bonfire of the Vanities, where Ezio gives his famous speech which defines what the Assassins actually believe. Or in Freedom Cry. The Assassin philosophy is that some acts of violence directed at oppressors can do good. That is a questionable and reprehensible idea to modern sensibilities but in the historical context that works because there are many cases in the past where you can make that case.

To do a truly Templar game, likewise show the Templars without Assassins. What do they do then, what do they actually represent.

Basically make a game on this lovely piece of dialogue in Brotherhood by Bartolomeo d'Alviano
"There will come a day in which men no longer cheat each other. And on that day we will see what mankind is truly capable of."

Eurostar7
10-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Their ideology is simple if you know how this whole conflict started.....

Adam and Eve were slaves who rebelled.

Humankind didnt want to continue to be slaves to the First Civilization. Dont forget, Eagle Sense is a power that the First Civilization have, and Adam and Eve were Hybrid humans, they had First Civilization DNA in them so they inherited some of their powers. In AC Liberation, there were holograms showing a scene where Eve was being asked to lead in a war.

That war was Humans vs First Civilization.

There is not much philosophy behind it really, its a huge conflict between slave and owner, and Juno is manipulating THOUSANDS of people (mostly Templars, and even the ending of Syndicate proves it) throughout time to inhabit a new body so she can continue the work of her people and enslave the human race once again.

There is no Aristotle-like philosophy behind it.