PDA

View Full Version : Carriage mission finishes

Rafe Harwood
10-28-2015, 01:02 AM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed all the missions involving a carriage, end on the wrong side of the road?

It's like the design is for right hand streets, instead of the correct left lane driving position.

HDinHB
10-28-2015, 01:32 AM
:nonchalance:

LoyalACFan
10-28-2015, 03:25 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think the left lane was designated as the "correct" one until the automobile era.

P.S. you heathens across the pond need to start driving on the right side of the road. 'Merica Forever.

:p

Rafe Harwood
10-28-2015, 03:29 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think the left lane was designated as the "correct" one until the automobile era.

P.S. you heathens across the pond need to start driving on the right side of the road. 'Merica Forever.

:p

Actually, passing on the left has been in place for a lot longer than cars have been around. How much good would fighting someone to your left do you if you are right handed? Think about it ;)

LoyalACFan
10-28-2015, 03:33 AM
Actually, passing on the left has been in place for a lot longer than cars have been around. How much good would fighting someone to your left do you if you are right handed? Think about it ;)

Well yes, it was a common practice, but what I'm saying is that I don't think there was any sort of actual regulation in place that said carriages must drive on the left. Although all of my knowledge of horse-and-carriage etiquette comes from the Old West, where it was a freakin' free-for-all in many places, so I don't know.

HDinHB
10-28-2015, 05:31 AM
But you had your shield in your left hand...

LoyalACFan
10-28-2015, 05:48 AM
But you had your shield in your left hand...

In jousting, yeah, but that wasn't like actual warfare. I think we're talking about later in time where riders would only have a light cavalry saber (in their right hand, therefore preferably maneuvering such that their intended target was on their right, hence the rise of the left lane as a default).

Of course, I know very little about European history (read; basically nothing). Victim of a small-town American education here, trying to read up on things now a little later in life. So I could very well be wrong.

HDinHB
10-28-2015, 06:03 AM
I noted in another thread that the carriages in Syndicate drive on the left. Apparently the regulation goes back even further:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic
In the UK, keeping to the left was an ancient custom. The first legal reference in Britain to an order for traffic to keep to the left was in 1756 with regard to London Bridge.[43] The General Highways Act of 1773 contained a recommendation that horse traffic should keep to the left[46] and this was incorporated in the Highway Act 1835.[47][48] The making of a rule was due to the increase in horse traffic by the end of the 18th century. By 1771, the number of coaches rose from 300 in 1639 to 1,000.[43] Countries that became part of the British Empire adopted the British keep-left rule; some have since changed.

LoyalACFan
10-28-2015, 06:20 AM
I noted in another thread that the carriages in Syndicate drive on the left. Apparently the regulation goes back even further:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-_and_left-hand_traffic

But my understanding is, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, that it was more of a custom rather than a strict law. Like today in the US, it's customary, and officially recommended in legal code, that the fastest drivers keep to the inner lane of the freeway, but there's no law against going slower there (as long as you're meeting the minimum speed). So, in Victorian London, you were allowed to drive across the oncoming "lane" and park on the opposing curb such as in scenes mentioned by the OP so long as nobody was coming (since there were far fewer vehicles on the road back than and they were traveling at a much slower pace on average).

BananaBlighter
10-28-2015, 09:28 AM
In game all the carriages keep to the left side of the road, but remember that where the mission ends changes sides depending on which end of the road you came in from.

Rafe Harwood
10-28-2015, 10:20 AM
In game all the carriages keep to the left side of the road, but remember that where the mission ends changes sides depending on which end of the road you came in from.

It's the simplest bloody things you overlook. Of course it depends on which direction you are heading. A bit of a doh moment lol :D

Just happens to be that for every mission I remember, following the satnav ended up on the opposite side ;)