PDA

View Full Version : 2016 AC: ACU 3.0 or completely different engine/setting/etc?

dimbismp
10-27-2015, 03:20 PM
So,we are well aware by now that the AC games are released in cycles:
1st saga:AC1-AC2-ACB-ACR
2nd saga:AC3-AC4-ACRo
3rd saga:ACU-ACS-?

In this thread,we are going to speculate about what is going to happen next year(and not about what we hope that it will happen).So:

Points that lead towards a "ACU 3.0":
1.The two previous sagas had at least 3 games

2.Last year,the ubi leader(forgot his name) said that "We made mistakes with ACU,but now we have a game engine that will help us in the future"(something like that).I guess that 1 game more(ACS) =/= the future.

3.I doubt that they created the rope launcher,train and carriage mechanics just for one game.

If something like this happens,i expect a WW1 or WW2 game,because of the ACS and ACU cameo,respectively.We could also get a Russian revolution game.

Points that lead towards a completely different game:
1.People have gotten tired of the more modern eras.

2.The famous Black Flag thing,that successfully "predicted" Revolutionary Paris and Industrial London,points towards an Asia setting.Due to the completely different kind of setting,this would mean a new engine etc.

3.ACS was created by Ubi Quebec.So,this means that Ubi Montreal has one more year for the next project.This may mean that the next project will be a big one.

If this scenario is true,i expect a Far East setting.

What's your opinion on this?

Alphacos007
10-27-2015, 03:33 PM
I'd like to believe on the completely different game, but knowing Ubi, I'm pretty sure it'll be a ACU 3.0. I'm not really complaining though, I loved the WW1 rift on Syndicate and I really like the train combat, so here's hoping we get more of that. Also, to be honest, the train combat is only used once throughout the whole game, so it doesn't really make much sense to make such a feature and barely use it. I'm sure it'll be re-used in the future.

cawatrooper9
10-27-2015, 03:46 PM
I'd love to go further back in the past again...

But Vestigial and I were talking yesterday about how the carriage mechanic seems to be nothing more than a reskinned car- probably something we'll see in the next game. My money's on a 1920's setting.

SenseHomunculus
10-27-2015, 03:54 PM
I don't believe they'd need an entirely new engine, even with a change to an Asian location. They'll want to get as much mileage as possible out of what I assume to have been a huge back-end investment in moving the platform to current-gen.

I think the direction they took mechanics-wise from Unity to Syndicate is excellent. Pretty much everything in Unity that had either niggling or more glaring issues was improved greatly in Syndicate, IMO. I'm so much happier with free running about and not getting stuck on every possible grabbing place that Arno chose to latch onto and not let go.

harsab
10-27-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm quite confident the next game will be completely different & take place in Japan but i think we might get a trilogy with Evie & Jacob due to the positive reception they are receiving. So a Japan game may be on hold right now. We might play in England again i think, but maybe this time add more places like Scotland etc etc.

Farlander1991
10-27-2015, 04:19 PM
You don't need a different engine to make a game in different era with different mechanics.

RVSage
10-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Ashraf Ismail is heading the project , likely, check is linkedin or twitter page, So I vote for a new setting

LoyalACFan
10-27-2015, 04:37 PM
You don't need a different engine to make a game in different era with different mechanics.

This, but I get what OP means; another heavy overhaul instead of building upon the skeleton of Unity. Personally, I think it'll be another overhaul (though probably not as large as the one between AC4 and Unity). Remember, Syndicate was developed by Ubi Quebec, so the Montreal team has likely been working on the next installment solo for a while now. They only have one other major release slated for 2016 (which is Far Cry Primal; For Honor likely hitting in 2017 if we're being realistic) so the 2016 AC game will probably be their work, and since Montreal is the core dev team for AC, I think it'd be logical to presume that they'll release the 2016 one, then Quebec/Sofia/Singapore/wherever else they have studios will tackle the next years' game. They have to keep overhauling the series every couple of years, otherwise people lose interest, and I doubt they want to linger in the shadow of Unity any longer than they have to.

killzab
10-27-2015, 04:42 PM
If we are to get an ACU 3.0, I wouldn't mind a WWII Berlin.

I'm not too interested in WWI.

kosmoscreed
10-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Is time to evolve, we are now in a post MGSV world, that game showed how fun stealth can be. Is time to change, time to move from the throwing knifes, the smoke bombs and all the stealth tools we have been using forever, time to improve the A.I, time to improve the non-lethal gameplay, time to improve missions design, time to expand the black box missions... I can be all day here naming things. I love Syndicate but the AC team need to step up his game.

I have high hopes for Ashraf game, I'm pretty sure he will do something new and exotic, the question is if he will stay inside the mold or push AC to become something better, something really next gen from the gameplay point of view.

dimbismp
10-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Is time to evolve, we are now in a post MGSV world, that game showed how fun stealth can be. Is time to change, time to move from the throwing knifes, the smoke bombs and all the stealth tools we have been using forever, time to improve the A.I, time to improve the non-lethal gameplay, time to improve missions design, time to expand the black box missions... I can be all day here naming things. I love Syndicate but the AC team need to step up his game.

I have high hopes for Ashraf game, I'm pretty sure he will do something new and exotic, the question is if he will stay inside the mold or push AC to become something better, something really next gen from the gameplay point of view.

Wait,how do we know that Ashraf is developing a new AC game?
If this is true though,by 2016,the game will have been in development for at least 3 years,which means that it may be an overhaul

RVSage
10-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Wait,how do we know that Ashraf is developing a new AC game?
If this is true though,by 2016,the game will have been in development for at least 3 years,which means that it may be an overhaul

As I said eariler. Have a look @Ashraf's linkedin page or twitter page, working on Unannounced project since jan 2014, and most likely he joined as director after initial design was done, (Scott Phillips joined Syndicate last year, a year after the game was in development)

ze_topazio
10-27-2015, 04:51 PM
Many things seem to point out to an East Asian setting, either China or Japan.

If they keep things in the XIX century both settings can fit the theme.

The French Revolution sparked the modern age and the Industrial Revolution confirmed it.

following this line, in Japan, the USA forced Japan to open its doors to the rest of the world, forcing the country to go through a hardcore modernization.

In China, British Imperialism led to the two Opium Wars and the Taiping Rebellion, which made China realize how outdated their technology was in comparison with the Industrial West.

I think both XIX century China and Japan fit within the theme of ACU and ACS.

Ashraf Ismail is heading the project , likely, check is linkedin or twitter page, So I vote for a new setting

As I said eariler. Have a look @Ashraf's linkedin page or twitter page, working on Unannounced project since jan 2014, and most likely he joined as director after initial design was done, (Scott Phillips joined Syndicate last year, a year after the game was in development)

Sometime after AC4 release, Ashraf said he was interested in doing an AC in Japan.

True_Assassin92
10-27-2015, 04:58 PM
I hope they do finally go backwards...we've seen 5 games combined in the 18th and 19th century...I'm getting tired of all the guns. I want to explore history that's not well known meaning going way back.

Senningiri_GR
10-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Well we had the same engine for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed Revelations ,for Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag, Assassin's Creed 4 Freedom Cry and Assassin's Creed Rogue and in Assassin's Creed Unity and Assassin's Creed Syndicate. I believe that the next game might be something else than the latest, but I don't mind. Even if they did a game with the same mechanics of Assassin's Creed Rogue, I won't really bother, as they were good for both sailing and city free roaming.
On the other hand, the game mechanics where pretty much the same since Assassin's Creed Brotherhood until Assassin's Creed Rogue, with the exception of Assassin's Creed 3, which I think looks more like Assassin's Creed Unity. So we are probably either getting the 3 next gen game, an new gen, or the previews one....

VestigialLlama4
10-27-2015, 05:51 PM
So,we are well aware by now that the AC games are released in cycles:
1st saga:AC1-AC2-ACB-ACR
2nd saga:AC3-AC4-ACRo
3rd saga:ACU-ACS-?

I would put it this way:
1st saga: The Desmond games.
AC1 --> ACRevelations, Altair and Ezio, essentially a Mediterranean Saga

2nd saga:
AC3 --> ACSyndicate, Anglophone games, which also includes Unity naturally, thanks to its accents.

So the next saga would be a new setting/location and style. Either Ancient World or Japan, China or India.

If something like this happens,i expect a WW1 or WW2 game,because of the ACS and ACU cameo,respectively.We could also get a Russian revolution game.

Basic rule is, if they are putting Russian Revolution for a 2D game, it's not going to be an open world game.

1.People have gotten tired of the more modern eras.

I actually think people like modern eras.

I think they might delay Japan or China and put in another England/Frye game if Syndicate is sufficiently popular, and I think it will be. I think they really like this one-year-in-the-life plot structure. They're using that for the Jack the Ripper DLC where we go there 20 years later. So a sequel might be set in say 1871, and this time you can send the Fryes to Paris in time for the Commune, or you can set it one in the 1890s around the time of Oscar Wilde's trial and the dawn of the 20th Century, or you can send Jacob and Evie to America.

cawatrooper9
10-27-2015, 06:36 PM
I hope they do finally go backwards...we've seen 5 games combined in the 18th and 19th century...I'm getting tired of all the guns. I want to explore history that's not well known meaning going way back.

This. I don't care so much what century it is in (though I'd prefer to go back, given the choice) but I'd much rather see a more obscure setting in the 1900s than Medieval England or Feudal Japan.

GunnerGalactico
10-27-2015, 06:47 PM
2.The famous Black Flag thing,that successfully "predicted" Revolutionary Paris and Industrial London,points towards an Asia setting.Due to the completely different kind of setting,this would mean a new engine etc.

3.ACS was created by Ubi Quebec.So,this means that Ubi Montreal has one more year for the next project.This may mean that the next project will be a big one.

If this scenario is true,i expect a Far East setting.

I actually agree with this. There have been subtle hints that the next game after Syndicate could possibly be set in Japan. Earlier this year Ubi hired Vin Hill, who is widely known for his Japanese themed AC fan art, as their newest 2D/Conceptual Artist.

http://blog.ubi.com/from-fan-artist-to-full-timer-an-interview-with-vin-hill/

I'm not exactly saying that it proves or confirms anything but it really shows that an Asian setting is a definite possibility in the foreseeable future.

dimbismp
10-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Another fact pointing towards a completely different/new game is this:

As we all know,the much anticipated AC movie will be released in December 2016.That's one or two months after the estimated 2016 game release.
What i am trying to say is that Ubi is likely to release a new "blockbuster" game(like AC1,AC2,especially AC3 and even ACU),so that both the movie and the game sales will be benefited by the AC hype.

On the other hand though,one could say that Ubi may release a less anticipated game(see ACS),so that the hype will be shifted directly at the movie.

harsab
10-27-2015, 08:41 PM

As we all know,the much anticipated AC movie will be released in December 2016.That's one or two months after the estimated 2016 game release.
What i am trying to say is that Ubi is likely to release a new "blockbuster" game(like AC1,AC2,especially AC3 and even ACU),so that both the movie and the game sales will be benefited by the AC hype.

On the other hand though,one could say that Ubi may release a less anticipated game(see ACS),so that the hype will be shifted directly at the movie.

Would make perfect sense to carry on with the Jacob & Evie storyline then if that was the case.

harsab
10-27-2015, 08:42 PM
i honestly think the next AC game will be set in Japan & will be directed by Ashraf Ismail & written by Darby. I don't know why but i just think it will be.

Anyhoo i could be completely wrong so yeah.

dimbismp
10-27-2015, 08:45 PM
i honestly think the next AC game will be set in Japan & will be directed by Ashraf Ismail & written by Darby. I don't know why but i just think it will be.

Anyhoo i could be completely wrong so yeah.

If it will be written by Darby,then the story will be great no matter what

harsab
10-27-2015, 08:47 PM
If it will be written by Darby,then the story will be great no matter what

i don't know why you weren't so found of Syndicates story i thought it was really good (although i wish we had more AC lore involved) but we got that in side missions & that secret mission.

VestigialLlama4
10-27-2015, 08:47 PM

Well movies and games have totally different audiences. The audience who sees a movie will always be bigger than the gaming audience and a movie based on a game is not the same as one based on books or comics. If you see Harry Potter you can buy the book if you are interested, but to get into AC games after seeing the movie you have to find the right PC/Console first and then buy the games...there is that wall between the total newcomer and the adapted medium that's there in games but not with other mediums.

cawatrooper9
10-27-2015, 09:58 PM

I'm really worried about the merging of the AC Cinematic Universe and the games. On the one hand, Ubisoft can do something relatively unprecedented here (as far as I know) by creating a very tangible link between these two mediums for what I assume is the first time. (I know video game movies exist, but they're typically only retellings, supplemental, or not canon). An actual installment in a videogame series that is both canon and movies the story forward could be very interesting.

On the other hand, I fear this could go poorly. If the movie ends up further dumbing down the series's lore, and that carries over to the games, there'll be hell to pay.

VestigialLlama4
10-27-2015, 10:12 PM
I'm really worried about the merging of the AC Cinematic Universe and the games. On the one hand, Ubisoft can do something relatively unprecedented here (as far as I know) by creating a very tangible link between these two mediums for what I assume is the first time. (I know video game movies exist, but they're typically only retellings, supplemental, or not canon). An actual installment in a videogame series that is both canon and movies the story forward could be very interesting.

On the other hand, I fear this could go poorly. If the movie ends up further dumbing down the series's lore, and that carries over to the games, there'll be hell to pay.

Well I think the movies should be separate from games tout court. Games and movies are different mediums, movies have a greater criteria of believability and realism.

VoXngola
10-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Sometime after AC4 release, Ashraf said he was interested in doing an AC in Japan.

It wasn't Japan, but Ancient Egypt.

http://www.examiner.com/article/assassin-s-creed-4-director-ancient-egypt-could-be-a-really-cool-place

Regarding the OP, I've had that thought for many months now. I'd really like AC to have a overhaul with a new engine and Asia setting, or even an ancient setting. Unfortunately though I think the first option is way more likely. It just makes too much sense to go to Revolutionay Russia for example like you mentioned.

And if I remember right, Ashraf is working on a new IP, not another AC entry. I'll try to find the tweet or wherever I got that info from. And Darby? Yeah, he's probably writing the story of next year's game. I really hope so.

Edit: Apparently I rememberd him saying that he's working on a new IP when the reality is that he's always tweeted "working on an unannounced project". Please let it be next year's AC with Darby!

Hans684
10-27-2015, 10:49 PM
I'm really worried about the merging of the AC Cinematic Universe and the games.

Linage and Embers worked fine.

m4r-k7
10-27-2015, 10:59 PM
I think that Black Flag leak is too accurate to not be true. They wouldn't put France and England in that picture and then have Japan in it and that one being just a troll image. I don't think it will be Russia or India or China seeing as they were specifically chosen for the chronicles games. It makes no sense to have a Russia chronicles game and then a main game in Russia. If anything it would be the other way around with a Russia chronicles game coming after a Russia main game as a tie in. Whatever happens though the game will reference the movie in some way.

BananaBlighter
10-27-2015, 11:08 PM
I don't believe they'd need an entirely new engine, even with a change to an Asian location. They'll want to get as much mileage as possible out of what I assume to have been a huge back-end investment in moving the platform to current-gen.

I think the direction they took mechanics-wise from Unity to Syndicate is excellent. Pretty much everything in Unity that had either niggling or more glaring issues was improved greatly in Syndicate, IMO. I'm so much happier with free running about and not getting stuck on every possible grabbing place that Arno chose to latch onto and not let go.

Totally agree. They wouldn't want to waste all the hard work they put in to Unity's current-gen engine. I'm honestly hoping for some more with the Frye twins, though I'm doubting it since we're already getting a campaign with them in 1888 as part of the Jack the Ripper DLC.

Consus_E
10-28-2015, 05:46 AM
I'm optimistic after hearing AC Rogues writer (Loomer's podcast) say 2016 will be a big year for AC.

I hope it's an Asian setting that isn't Japan or China really.

Japan because of the people who ask for Japan without knowing anything about Japan. And to be honest I think most of the people who say "Assassin's Creed Ninjaz" would actually in reality find Japan boring and complain that Ubisoft is being "inaccurate" because the real Japan doesn't adhere to their limited cliche Japanese fantasies.

And China because I it's predictable and I don't want another fan requested setting next year.

I'd rather see
-Cambodia, at the height of The Khmer Empire. With Angkor; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor as the city. For those wondering the city used to have many buildings that were burnt to the ground during the 15th century. It's actually a great setting largely because so few records from the Khmer empire were preserved. It gives Ubi a lot of freedom to design an interesting sandbox.
-Korea, During the Japanese invasions in the late 16th century; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasions_of_Korea_(1592%E2%80%9398). With this setting you get China, Japan, and Korea.

LoyalACFan
10-28-2015, 05:56 AM
I'm optimistic after hearing AC Rogues writer (Loomer's podcast) say 2016 will be a big year for AC.

I hope it's an Asian setting that isn't Japan or China really.

Japan because of the people who ask for Japan without knowing anything about Japan. And to be honest I think most of the people who say "Assassin's Creed Ninjaz" would actually in reality find Japan boring and complain that Ubisoft is being "inaccurate" because the real Japan doesn't adhere to their limited cliche Japanese fantasies.

And China because I it's predictable and I don't want another fan requested setting next year.

I'd rather see
-Cambodia, at the height of The Khmer Empire. With Angkor; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor as the city. For those wondering the city used to have many buildings that were burnt to the ground during the 15th century. It's actually a great setting largely because so few records from the Khmer empire were preserved. It gives Ubi a lot of freedom to design an interesting sandbox.
-Korea, During the Japanese invasions in the late 16th century; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasions_of_Korea_(1592%E2%80%9398). With this setting you get China, Japan, and Korea.

I mean, they could do another naval game with China, Japan, and Korea serving as the borders. You get all three of them in a relatively compact space around the East China Sea.

Consus_E
10-28-2015, 06:28 AM
I mean, they could do another naval game with China, Japan, and Korea serving as the borders. You get all three of them in a relatively compact space around the East China Sea.

Well the Korean setting I mentioned would have Korea as the setting, Japan as the invading opposition, and China as the allied faction.

Any thoughts on the Khmer setting at all? Trying to see if I can start a bandwagon.

VestigialLlama4
10-28-2015, 07:10 AM
Totally agree. They wouldn't want to waste all the hard work they put in to Unity's current-gen engine. I'm honestly hoping for some more with the Frye twins, though I'm doubting it since we're already getting a campaign with them in 1888 as part of the Jack the Ripper DLC.

I think there's plenty they can do with the Fryes in the future. They can send them to France in 1871, the time of the Commune, which would be a chance for them to redeem the anti-revolutionary unpleasantness of Unity. They can go to America during the Gangs of New York era around the time the Brooklyn Bridge and the Statue of Liberty was being built. The late 1800s was a time of early globalization and the Anglophone so you can have English people touring abroad and having adventures.

The 1-Year-In-The-Life-Of structure works really well for this part since a lot of major events clustered together in a short span.

It wouldn't surprise me if they delay the Japan game to 2017 because Unity was intended to be a franchise title and Syndicate was rushed ahead earlier than intended as can be seen and felt in the game itself. So if it's successful you'll have a second game I'm sure.

Senningiri_GR
10-28-2015, 08:38 AM
Ubisof is just refusing Japan and China again and again and I think I understand their reasons. If they did make an Assassin's Creed game in this setting, which is being visited again and again, people would just hate what they have been asking for. In these locations there where no dense cities mostly countryside and small cities. I have a feeling that if they did so, people would say, just like they did with Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag and even worse, that this is not a Assassin's Creed game, that it feels so unnatural etc.
I believe that 3 great setting would be Spain during the Arabic conquests, Italy during the conquest of the northern Italy by the so called 'Holy" "Roman" Empire, and finally in Greece any time between 600 AD and 1100 AD in the Roman Empire,falsely known now as "Byzantine Empire"

kosmoscreed
10-28-2015, 08:43 AM
I think the problem doing it in Japan or China is they have to nail it the cultural aspects of those countries and blend them with the gameplay , this could be difficult.

VestigialLlama4
10-28-2015, 09:16 AM
I think the problem doing it in Japan or China is they have to nail it the cultural aspects of those countries and blend them with the gameplay , this could be difficult.

It wouldn't be any more difficult, in theory, than it was in going to the Renaissance and then to the New World.

The truth is that the Assassins only truly make sense during the Crusades in the Levant. The minute they step out, going to Italy and America, the Caribbean and the like is as likely, logical as going to Japan, China or India. In AC2, the Assassins and Templars are refashioned into a Renaissance Family Feud, so you have the Auditore versus the Borgia rather than Assassins versus Templars. In AC3, the Assassins are racial, cultural, class and gender minorities fighting against mostly white settler/imperialists/colonialists.Unity and Syndicate ruined everything by simply using the Assassins as a quasi-Justice League without any true social metaphor. So I guess they might take that approach and go to Japan.

The problem in going to Japan is the same as wtih AC1 and AC3, it will be a largely white developing team stepping into another culture and identity. And considering how divisive Connor and Altair were among the racist meathead crowd, it will be tough sailing. The next AC would be in the same corner as the Keanu Reeves 47 Ronin and the wretched Godzilla American remakes.

I think the Meiji Restoration would be a good period. Even better could be the era after World War I around the time of the Great Kanto Earthquake. The only issue is that it won't have the ninja/samurai fetish fantasy people want in a Japanese setting. That's the thing, when people want other settings they largely want a Tomb Level or the same shallow 2D backdrop you saw in earlier games. They want a Native American protagonist so they can scalp people, they want to play a ninja or a Chinese assassin to do martial artists, most people who ask these settings don't actually want to know about the real people.

Shahkulu101
10-28-2015, 10:33 AM
It will likely be another complete overhaul, that's the pattern these things tend to go in. And because it's building everything from the ground up and is the first iteration of the concept, the game will be flawed and unpolished. Then they'll release a game the year after with the same basic outline and set of mechanics that is more refined and well put together.

And then the cycle will begin anew. Tick tock. Tick tock.

VestigialLlama4
10-28-2015, 10:58 AM
It will likely be another complete overhaul, that's the pattern these things tend to go in. And because it's building everything from the ground up and is the first iteration of the concept, the game will be flawed and unpolished. Then they'll release a game the year after with the same basic outline and set of mechanics that is more refined and well put together.

And then the cycle will begin anew. Tick tock. Tick tock.

You know I'm not quite sure if that's the exact pattern we see here, because' there are huge differences between AC1-->AC3-->ACU-->AC'2016 in terms of how their positioning.

AC1 wasn't a glitchfest, nor was it unpolished. It was just a little spare in terms of open world diversions. AC2 pared down the combat but expanded on the open world. AC3 was the first unique break. AC1 was urban centered and had city Parkour and AC3 had the most comprehensive range of open world features than even the Ezio games. Unity is more like AC1 than AC3 in terms of focus and approach, because they didn't want to go as all out as they did with AC3.

AC'2016 if it goes to Japan will be closer to AC3 in terms of challenges. In that it's going to a more rural setting with an entirely different style of urban planning. Now of course they might decide to make it closer to Unity and feature the Council and have the protagonist already be an Assassin and so on, but they will essentially have to introduce a new setting and background from the ground up. Something they didn't feel they had to do with Unity and Syndicate since Paris and London have an inbuilt familiarity.

Sushiglutton
10-28-2015, 01:56 PM
I hope AC2016 is super similar to Syndicate (Machester 1870) and developed by some D-team working in a cellar in Kentucky. That would buy Montreal another year.

Ny_ephelkystikon
10-28-2015, 04:08 PM
I agree with the OP, however I'd put it like this

AC1 = The Pilot episode
1st Saga: The Ezio Saga (AC 2, AC:B, AC:R)
2nd Saga: The Kenway Saga (AC3, AC4, AC:R)
3rd Saga: Juno Revival Saga?? (AC:U, AC:S, AC 2016)

All good things comes in three at Ubisoft - even Chronicles are set in three eras
AC 2016 should be a game that connects Unity and Syndicate, if Ubisoft chooses another European city/country I'd be fine with it (Hoping for Germany WWII, or Norwegian Vikings), I do wonder if the WW glitches are a hint for AC 2016 to set in the period between WW1 & WW2...?

I've been reading rumours about AC 2016 is set in either Egypt or Japan, are there any hints in the game where it's going? Ubisoft knows, an AC game doesn't take a year to make, it takes more than that - they told us before. Thus making it possible for them to slip in easter eggs.

If AC 2016 is set in Egypt, I'd like to see either a continuation (read: REDEMPTION) of Arno and Napoleon. Arno sent a Piece of Eden to Egypt and Napoleon went to Egypt in 1798. It gives the writers an opportunity to retcon Arno, Napoleon or Shay - even Arno's father (But that's mostly because I want a flashback of the French Assassin's before the revolution and more focus on Marie Antoinette)
If not that I'd want to see Egypt set in Ptolemaic Dynasty ending with the Assassin Amunet (remember her?!) killing Cleopatra with an asp in 30 BC. It does not make sense (from my perspective) to introduce these amazing master assassins who were venerated, just to not make a game about them. It was a wasted opportunity.

If they decide AC 2016 it to be set in Japan. Then I'll probably be the unpopular kid on the block and say that I'd like to see it set in the Sengoku Period. - Yes, yes Ninjas, Samurais and Korean Turtle Ships. Ubisoft has allured to Japan by setting a Memories game in that era. Also I don't think that Ubisoft intent to go down the stereotypical route with ninjas. (As in Connor not scalping people dispite him being Native American or hookhanded pirates). I'd also prefer this era because, I'd really like to see Ubisoft's take on it, turmoil and warfare & the unification of Japan and opening of the borders.

ze_topazio
10-28-2015, 04:24 PM
Egypt would be glorious, but with a new character, not Arno, I would be okay with Arno as a supporting character.

Korea, Thailand, Cambodia would be great too.

It wasn't Japan, but Ancient Egypt.

http://www.examiner.com/article/assassin-s-creed-4-director-ancient-egypt-could-be-a-really-cool-place

Regarding the OP, I've had that thought for many months now. I'd really like AC to have a overhaul with a new engine and Asia setting, or even an ancient setting. Unfortunately though I think the first option is way more likely. It just makes too much sense to go to Revolutionay Russia for example like you mentioned.

And if I remember right, Ashraf is working on a new IP, not another AC entry. I'll try to find the tweet or wherever I got that info from. And Darby? Yeah, he's probably writing the story of next year's game. I really hope so.

Edit: Apparently I rememberd him saying that he's working on a new IP when the reality is that he's always tweeted "working on an unannounced project". Please let it be next year's AC with Darby!

I remember that but I seem to remember him mentioning Japan too, but I can't find that, maybe I'm confusing him with someone else.

So if they were to make a sequel for the Frye twins, where who you want them to go? should each twin visit a different city? should they go together? should the story follow only one of them?

cawatrooper9
10-28-2015, 04:29 PM
So if they were to make a sequel for the Frye twins, where who you want them to go? should each twin visit a different city? should they go together? should the story follow only one of them?

That would be cool, at least for part of the story- maybe the first few memory sequences. You could even have missions where you had to switch between them mid session GTA V style- maybe Evie has to try to stall a train in one city from bringing reinforcements to Jacob's city- Jacob, in turn, is trying to divert the Templar's attention so that Evie can retrieve a POE. Even make the objectives dynamic, so that if Evie fails, rather than desyncornization, Jacob just has to deal with more enemies.

This mechanic doesn't have to be limited to the twins, either, necessarily, if people think their story has been told.

ze_topazio
10-28-2015, 04:54 PM
I was thinking more of more distant cities, like for example Jacob goes to Glasgow and Evie goes to Belfast, two important British cities in the Industrial Revolution or Jacob goes to Hong Kong and Evie to Calcutta.

cawatrooper9
10-28-2015, 04:59 PM
I was thinking more of more distant cities, like for example Jacob goes to Glasgow and Evie goes to Belfast, two important British cities in the Industrial Revolution or Jacob goes to Hong Kong and Evie to Calcutta.

That would be cool. I'd still like to see them somehow link the missions though, to really give the game a global feel- even if that meant making the missions last several in-game days.

LoyalACFan
10-28-2015, 05:02 PM
If they go to Egypt, I don't want it set during Napoleon's invasion. I've said the opposite before (I used to think an Arno sequel set all over Napoleon's Afro-Eurasian conquests would be sweet) but TBH as more time goes by I just get less and less interested in the idea. I'd rather see Middle Kingdom Egypt, maybe with some time anomalies to fill out what the Arno/Napoleon connection is.

darksavior1977
10-28-2015, 09:37 PM
I went with completely different engine/setting/etc. because I think AC trying to be a giant sandbox filled with every mission type that has ever existed in any sandbox game anywhere is actually killing it. I think it would be best if Ubisoft maybe went with a smaller sandbox (mission areas) instead, it could keep the game on point and reacquire a good focus and consistent tone for the game. Ubisoft needs to refocus on three primary things; A) Figure out what they really want to do with the present day story, as it is it has been years since it got derailed with Desmond. They've honestly had plenty of time to rewrite it back on track. B) Focus on what being an assassin entails and what in game skills, mechanics, and missions compliment that and do that as well as possible. Quit trying to be an everything simulator, and drop missions that dilute this focus. C) Refocus on the story concepts of the battle between the Templars and Assassin's. Much like the previous one regarding mechanics and missions, story wise the Templar and Assassin struggle should be center stage not background noise as it has been becoming with all the other distraction in the game.

Strong story missions leading into deeper blackbox assassinations would be better imo. I am over sandbox games that struggle so hard to fill up the empty space that they have the player doing anything they can think of, relevant or not, so your epic protagonists end up being errand gophers just to fill the gaps, or worse, collecting random stuff in the world just because. I'd much rather have a tighter narrative that does what it wants to within the necessary spaces required instead. Something more like Dishonored, which didn't use any extra space than the mission areas needed, and kept the mechanics and story tight.