PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 2 Doesn't Make Sense

CureOptimism
10-27-2015, 04:45 AM
Can someone answer my questions? I've been wracking my brain around this for awhile.

What's the purpose of Rodrigo Borgia plotting against the Medici, the Duke of Milan and the Doge of Venice if their entire goal was to follow the prophecy (That they somehow know despite not having all of the codex pages) and find the Apple of Eden, the Vatican Vault and the Papal Staff to fulfill it? If everything up until this point was an elaborate and hilariously overkill distraction conceived by Templars so the Assassins wouldn't meddle with their plans to locate all of these items and open the Vatican vault, why did the Assassins who train Ezio over the course of the game play Rodrigo Borgia's game and go on a wild goose chase to put an end to plots and dethrone tyrannical rulers which were a smokescreen if they clearly had prior knowledge of the prophecy. Why didn't they just tell Ezio that this was their main goal all along and try to kill Rodrigo? Were all of them duped as well and only realize that all the Templar conspiracies were a distraction at the same time as Ezio? Was it just happenstance that they were training Ezio to kill the man who wanted to fulfill the same prophecy they wanted to fulfill? Furthermore, what was Rodrigo doing while Ezio & Friends tried to foil his schemes to conquer major cities? I assume he was searching for the location of the Apple and playing the game Papal politics in order to become pope so he can utilize the Apple and staff.

Also, how could you get all of those Templars to agree to literally be bait for Ezio and the Assassins to murder as their master searched for treasure to open up a vault in the Vatican?

Anyway, any clear and concise answers or at least a giant explanation of what the hell happened would be appreciated.

Locopells
10-27-2015, 11:31 AM
The whole point was power. Sure, the long game focused on the Vault (the Templars did hold some of the Codex pages, which were the ones Leo got the prophecy from), but the short term goal was to gain control over Italy by replacing the ruling families.

CureOptimism
10-27-2015, 03:00 PM
It's just that Ezio seemingly makes it out like the deaths of all of these rulers and his father somehow played into Rodrigo's plan to search for the apple and open the vault, rather than it being a secondary objective of his to gain control of Italy that killed them as you say.

Another thing I don't get is why the other Assassins wouldn't tell Ezio who they are straight away and tell him of the importance of the vault and finding the apple, rather than leave him in the dark as they dismantle the Templar schemes to take over Italy Was this part of his needlessly secretive training process? To be told very little as he accumulates enough experience to eventually kill Rodrigo and safekeep the apple from Templar hands?. They have to have had knowledge that Rodrigo's plot to take over Italy was secondary to obtaining the Apple of Eden and opening the vault because they intercepted Rodrigo when he was having the apple delivered (and they even mention the other part of the prophecy about the floating city Ezio only just recently learned from Leonardo, which means they're omniscient) so why wouldn't they give Ezio the full picture so he knows exactly what he's working towards?

Also, I'm going to assume that Rodrigo already knew where the vault was located since through most of the game he's in Rome presumably trying to set into motion his plan to become Pope, obtain the papal staff and open the vault with the apple he sought and he finds the vault without all of the codex pages. Which makes me wonder why Caterina's husband made them a map to find the remaining codex pages. I suppose to find and prevent them from falling into Assassin hands.

Locopells
10-27-2015, 04:24 PM
If you can quote me the line where he states that, it would help, it's been a while since I played ACII...

I've never quite got why the others waited for so long, to tell Ezio who they were, given he effectively was an Assassin in all but name. There's various possibility, but it's never explicitly stated, as I recall.

As for the map, it was probably made before Rodrigo had enough of the pages to piece together the vault location and prophecy text.

CureOptimism
10-27-2015, 05:32 PM
"But now I see. The killing of Mocenigo, even the Medici, my father and brothers -- It was all part of his plan. To find the vault!"

Locopells
10-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Ah, NOW I remember!

Hmm. Maybe it was a question of access to stores of information held by the ruling families? Or just nobble anyone who was gonna get in the way? Heck, it may even have been a question of resources.