PDA

View Full Version : Alpha exclusive item

OFCmachete19
10-26-2015, 10:31 PM
Would be really neat if you gave all alpha members a special cosmetic item. just a thought. As im sure we would all like to stand out in one way or another :)

Dead1y-Derri
10-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Would be really neat if you gave all alpha members a special cosmetic item. just a thought. As im sure we would all like to stand out in one way or another :)

I don't think that's a good idea if I'm being honest. The fact is the Alpha is limited to well...just PC. It would kind of be a middle finger to all the other platforms.

MisterWillow
10-27-2015, 02:26 AM
I don't think that's a good idea if I'm being honest. The fact is the Alpha is limited to well...just PC. It would kind of be a middle finger to all the other platforms.

+1

MichiNaab
10-27-2015, 09:19 AM
Who Know? Maybe there will be an alpha for console in next few week?
+1 for OFCmachete19 (http://forums.ubi.com/member.php/1881329-OFCmachete19) I agree I little cosmetic item could be really cool :D

SirGoblin2Fast
10-29-2015, 05:36 PM
yeah that would be realy nice

Walkanwulf
10-29-2015, 11:13 PM
The game Hawken gave you skins for playing in the alpha/beta tests, the alpha one being pretty rare. It feels great showing it off, and I think that would work in some way with For Honor aswell

WYRDB0Y
10-30-2015, 01:12 AM
It's not even just limited to PC, but limited to a select few. Playing the game this early is its own reward. Now if you give out something cosmetic when people can participate on their own will, I don't mind, but not right now with such a limited alpha.

Dead1y-Derri
10-30-2015, 09:38 PM
It's not even just limited to PC, but limited to a select few. Playing the game this early is it's own reward. Now if you give out something cosmetic when people can participate on their own will, I don't mind, but not right now with such a limited alpha.

I think this raises the point, being in the Alpha is a reward in and of itself.

Maximus_NoHonor
10-30-2015, 10:13 PM
+1

Giantism
11-02-2015, 08:24 PM
It seems to me that having a purely cosmetic item that identifies a player as an alpha participant can't detract from other players' experience enough for it to be excluded from the game. I just think that with all of the other threats on the battlefield, my special alpha shoulder engraving isn't going to bring my enemies to their knees in terror, much less affect balance in any way.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I honestly do not know) but aren't unlocks and player bases for this game separated by system of choice? Meaning if only PC players get an alpha thing then only PC players will ever see said alpha thing? I guess I'm failing to see why the wanting of an alpha item on one system should deprive another? Of course the devs could just include a console alpha and this wouldn't be a problem. :p

Walkanwulf
11-02-2015, 08:32 PM
I think this raises the point, being in the Alpha is a reward in and of itself.

I haven't been in the alpha yet i still think this is a neat idea. I wouldn't mind seeing other "privileged" players, either. Just by adding this kind of things you give the game more depth, as in things that are not common for everyone, but kind of earned through mere time and interest spent for this game.

Dead1y-Derri
11-04-2015, 10:15 PM
I haven't been in the alpha yet i still think this is a neat idea. I wouldn't mind seeing other "privileged" players, either. Just by adding this kind of things you give the game more depth, as in things that are not common for everyone, but kind of earned through mere time and interest spent for this game.

The problem I and others would have is getting an exclusive item, cosmetic item would basically be depriving others of said item who didn't get in or were on another platform. Being in the Alpha was a privilege, because it was on a selected platform and not open to many others. It would especially deprive other PC players.

I also think doing cool items as a reward isn't a good idea unless the item can be unlocked. For example if I get a cosmetic item for killing 20 enemies without dying then that shows a mixture of skill and dedication and can be unlocked by everyone. However an item for participating in something only a limited amount people had access too, only a limited platform isn't a good idea because it takes away from the meta game and unlocking.

I don't like to compare but take Call of Duty. Now Call of Duty has camos and unlocking some of the cool camos used to be about time spent with a weapon and obviously reasonable skill to unlock the top tier camos. However now with the introduction of buying good looking camos, its detracted from the meta game and meaning behind the camo. If you can drop $2 or whatever and get a good, super cool looking camo then what's the point in spending time unlocking the top camo for a tier? There isn't really because you're aren't getting the best through effort, you're getting the best through dropping more money.

Therefore it detracts from the meta game.

If they did an open beta, available through all platforms or one open beta per platform then I think they could do an item because they're dedicated players and EVERYONE can participate in an open beta.

So I think maybe it might be a bit early to start talking about cosmetic items for alpha participation.

I wouldn't be too miffed if they did an item for a closed alpha but I think some, including myself would kind of see it as a little unfair.

MisterWillow
11-06-2015, 04:33 AM
I don't like to compare but take Call of Duty. Now Call of Duty has camos and unlocking some of the cool camos used to be about time spent with a weapon and obviously reasonable skill to unlock the top tier camos. However now with the introduction of buying good looking camos, its detracted from the meta game and meaning behind the camo. If you can drop $2 or whatever and get a good, super cool looking camo then what's the point in spending time unlocking the top camo for a tier? There isn't really because you're aren't getting the best through effort, you're getting the best through dropping more money.

Plus, even if you get said camo through the in-game unlock method, it's only special to you, given the effort you know you put into obtain it, since anyone that just picked the game up could drop a buck or two to have it, so you can't even show off, really. It just becomes another bit of wallpaper, rather than a badge of struggle that signals to everyone else that you're a player that's put time in and is more likely to be highly skilled.

CptRustyBlade
11-07-2015, 04:59 AM
I don't even care about any of that. I am really keeping this on my favorite games list regardless.

Dead1y-Derri
11-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Plus, even if you get said camo through the in-game unlock method, it's only special to you, given the effort you know you put into obtain it, since anyone that just picked the game up could drop a buck or two to have it, so you can't even show off, really. It just becomes another bit of wallpaper, rather than a badge of struggle that signals to everyone else that you're a player that's put time in and is more likely to be highly skilled.

Exactly :)

DraxeI
11-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Come on now, this is just getting silly.
First of, let me just say that I don't really care too much about this in the first place.

I have never ever heard anyone complain about players receiving some vanity "tag" for participating in any sort of alpha/beta testing in the hundreds of games that have done so before. Surely this thing would just be like an "A" or something on the cape that will be overshadowed by any other emblem that actually takes skill and effort to achieve.

Sure it's a privileged to be able to take part in a test, but it also takes away time to both participate and provide feedback and document bugs, something some community members made a considerable effort in doing. It's not unreasonable to be rewarded with a small vanity token.

A silly example, but is it unfair that the developers get a special Ubisoft logo that no-one else can receive? Of course not, so what's wrong?

I hope alpha participants will receive an emblem, I hope beta participants will receive an emblem and I hope any participant in any special event in the future will receive an emblem.

Fatal-Feit
11-23-2015, 12:42 AM
Come on now, this is just getting silly.
First of, let me just say that I don't really care too much about this in the first place.

Please do not demean others opinion simply because you disagree. Unless the topic has absolutely nothing to do with the game, or has been derailed, it is not silly.

I have never ever heard anyone complain about players receiving some vanity "tag" for participating in any sort of alpha/beta testing in the hundreds of games that have done so before. Surely this thing would just be like an "A" or something on the cape that will be overshadowed by any other emblem that actually takes skill and effort to achieve.

May you provide some examples?

Sure it's a privileged to be able to take part in a test, but it also takes away time to both participate and provide feedback and document bugs, something some community members made a considerable effort in doing. It's not unreasonable to be rewarded with a small vanity token.

You're right, it's not unreasonable, but it's not necessary either. Frankly, the outcome will be more negative than positive. For us few players who've been privileged, it's a cool reward, but for the MANY out there who wasn't chosen to participate, it's almost degrading. They weren't lucky enough to be chosen, so they miss out by default. Rewarding players with in-game items for participating in closed alpha or beta testings creates a problem that doesn't need to exist.

Now, if the reward is something players can obtain at any time, or is available for everyone during a set period, then there will be no issue to begin with. :)

A silly example, but is it unfair that the developers get a special Ubisoft logo that no-one else can receive? Of course not, so what's wrong?

I hope alpha participants will receive an emblem, I hope beta participants will receive an emblem and I hope any participant in any special event in the future will receive an emblem.

That is not a silly example at all. It raises a good point. If the developers are privileged enough to get something special, why can't the players who have also worked side by side the developers to improve the game via alpha and beta testings?

Well, the biggest difference comes down to the development of the game being their jobs, not ours. As players, we have the choice to participate and provide feedback, but it's a choice and we aren't funded like the devs are. :)

Also, yes, I know this is very late.

DraxeI
11-23-2015, 06:23 PM
Please do not demean others opinion simply because you disagree. Unless the topic has absolutely nothing to do with the game, or has been derailed, it is not silly.

I meant no disrespect to any debaters, and if I did so then I apologize.
In hindsight I could've shown a bit more empathy as I only considered how trivial I felt the matter was, while the discussion took it quite seriously.

May you provide some examples?

I'll list a couple out of recent memory.
Planetside 2, Battlefield:BC -> Battlefield 4, Archeage, World of Tanks/Warplanes/Ships, Destiny, Dirty Bomb, Rocket League, Guild Wars 2, any Call of Duty after 4, PULSAR: Lost Colony.

You're right, it's not unreasonable, but it's not necessary either. Frankly, the outcome will be more negative than positive. For us few players who've been privileged, it's a cool reward, but for the MANY out there who wasn't chosen to participate, it's almost degrading. They weren't lucky enough to be chosen, so they miss out by default. Rewarding players with in-game items for participating in closed alpha or beta testings creates a problem that doesn't need to exist.

Now, if the reward is something players can obtain at any time, or is available for everyone during a set period, then there will be no issue to begin with. :)

I think this is where the core of our friction lies.
When I see a player who has an exclusive item in a game, my first and only thought is "Nice." I don't feel it's unfair as long as it's cosmetic, vanity.
Especially for a participation symbol, all it says is "This person participated in this event." not something respectable like "This player has performed exceptionally through this and this tournament".
If you really want to bend it, and I'm going into silly examples again, many recognition titles/emblems in games are practically unavailable to people who can't put all their time into said game. Those things will be unachieveable, but not actually unfair.

Well, the biggest difference comes down to the development of the game being their jobs, not ours. As players, we have the choice to participate and provide feedback, but it's a choice and we aren't funded like the devs are. :)

It really, really was a silly example, but I'll continue with it ;) The developers does get paid to do said job, community testers gets to try out the game (which I'm not denying is enough of a reward) and in return are not enforced to, but is highly encouraged to put their free time into "developing" the game.

Also, yes, I know this is very late.

My friend, there is still plenty of time until the game is released, and we all have much more to dicuss until then! :)

Fatal-Feit
11-23-2015, 11:24 PM
I meant no disrespect to any debaters, and if I did so then I apologize.
In hindsight I could've shown a bit more empathy as I only considered how trivial I felt the matter was, while the discussion took it quite seriously.

That's understandable, and I'm sorry if I made you feel bad. My main concern is keeping people level-headed. Sometimes we say things that gets others riled up by accident and it then becomes a one-sided debate. Those are the worse.

I'll list a couple out of recent memory.
Planetside 2, Battlefield:BC -> Battlefield 4, Archeage, World of Tanks/Warplanes/Ships, Destiny, Dirty Bomb, Rocket League, Guild Wars 2, any Call of Duty after 4, PULSAR: Lost Colony.

Wow, I didn't realize there was this much.

I think this is where the core of our friction lies.
When I see a player who has an exclusive item in a game, my first and only thought is "Nice." I don't feel it's unfair as long as it's cosmetic, vanity.
Especially for a participation symbol, all it says is "This person participated in this event." not something respectable like "This player has performed exceptionally through this and this tournament".
If you really want to bend it, and I'm going into silly examples again, many recognition titles/emblems in games are practically unavailable to people who can't put all their time into said game. Those things will be unachieveable, but not actually unfair.

Although, I can see it rubbing off the wrong way for certain players, you bring up a good point, and I have to agree. It's generally not an issue, and we shouldn't concede to the lowest common denominator.

I believe the main concern people have is that it's basically content some people can't get. With all of the anti-consumer business practices recently, people, like myself, can be very stingy when it comes to additional content (like DLCs). It especially leaves a bad taste in our mouths when there's exclusive content. I don't believe this is a bad idea, but I don't want to encourage it either. You understand.

It really, really was a silly example, but I'll continue with it ;) The developers does get paid to do said job, community testers gets to try out the game (which I'm not denying is enough of a reward) and in return are not enforced to, but is highly encouraged to put their free time into "developing" the game.

Work is work, that's true. At the end of the day, it really comes down to whether or not we believe it's necessary. I don't condone exclusivity of any kind, but it's understandable if you feel differently.

My friend, there is still plenty of time until the game is released, and we all have much more to dicuss until then! :)

Unfortunately, I wish this wasn't the case. :rolleyes:

BudBro49
11-26-2015, 09:52 PM
I agree that playing the alpha was its own reward. I feel that just being selected was special treatment. haha
I'm a die hard fan through and through now, however.