PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - Horse racing is garbage

Shad0w Reeper
10-25-2015, 11:55 PM
The AI constantly smashes you
"Boost" is a waste of time as you can never catch up to the AI.
Even the skill you can buy that makes boosts faster does not make a difference.
When the AI is behind you they always obtain a boost fast enough to catch up and pass you alot.
Ramming the AI most times dont matter as they correct themselves too fast.

This need to be sorted.

AikoTM
12-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Yeah.. they are very hard. Only won 1 so far.. and that was a time race :D Ah well.. at least you still get something for participating.

D.I.D.
12-22-2015, 08:53 AM
I've never lost a race.

Remember there was a skill to lose less time recovering from impacts? That's a hint about how this works.

1) Don't slow down. Don't brake-drift, it's useless. Accelerate constantly, tap boost as much as possible, do not brake. You can tap boost continually around corners and still drift, as long as you steer well, and the acceleration will protect you by pulling you into your new line.

2) Don't hit other racers, don't hit street furniture, unless...

3) ... you can use the sudden bottlenecks that only admit one coach. Swinging into competitors as you approach one of those alleys is one of the rare times when it is useful, another being during a corner to gain a tighter turn from the impact.

SixKeys
12-22-2015, 09:36 AM
I've never lost a race.

Remember there was a skill to lose less time recovering from impacts? That's a hint about how this works.

1) Don't slow down. Don't brake-drift, it's useless. Accelerate constantly, tap boost as much as possible, do not brake. You can tap boost continually around corners and still drift, as long as you steer well, and the acceleration will protect you by pulling you into your new line.

2) Don't hit other racers, don't hit street furniture, unless...

3) ... you can use the sudden bottlenecks that only admit one coach. Swinging into competitors as you approach one of those alleys is one of the rare times when it is useful, another being during a corner to gain a tighter turn from the impact.

You posted similar advice in another thread a while ago and I tried your suggestions. Won my first race immediately. So thank you. :)

D.I.D.
12-22-2015, 10:17 AM
You posted similar advice in another thread a while ago and I tried your suggestions. Won my first race immediately. So thank you. :)

Aww, I finally said something useful! Glad to hear it.

By the way, is your Ripper DLC working yet (PC)? I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong and could be playing it now, or if it's still not unlocked.

SixKeys
12-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Aww, I finally said something useful! Glad to hear it.

By the way, is your Ripper DLC working yet (PC)? I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong and could be playing it now, or if it's still not unlocked.

I didn't check yet, I assumed it wouldn't get released until 6 PM my time (usually the time when stuff gets released). Someone in the PC section said you can't see it in Uplay, you can only start it from the main game menu.

D.I.D.
12-22-2015, 10:33 AM
I didn't check yet, I assumed it wouldn't get released until 6 PM my time (usually the time when stuff gets released). Someone in the PC section said you can't see it in Uplay, you can only start it from the main game menu.

Oh, okay, thanks. I remember the console one unlocked at midnight GMT, but maybe that was a fluke.

For whatever reason, my Uplay isn't showing Ripper as a separate item, only the Pass, so it can't be started there either. It doesn't have its own cover art as a title under Games either, if that's what they meant. Brb, going to find purpose for my life.

Adryn Bliss
12-23-2015, 07:13 AM
If you ram them enough that they'd otherwise be destroyed, in racing they widely veer off and often get stuck, the key to races is to be pretty aggressive. source:100% sync

ImaginaryRuins
12-24-2015, 11:45 AM
I don't mind challenges, but the A.I. design for the street races is simply unreasonable. They correct courses so quickly that ramming is useless against them, and most ridiculously they can catch up so quickly from behind as if they had modern engines fitted on their carriages. Once I took the lead and was at least a few seconds ahead of the rest but suddenly they overtook me before the finishing line.

shezzor
12-31-2015, 05:12 PM
It's called rubber banding AI and its a lazy way to give races in games a "challenge". What makes matters worse is that the actual AI is horrible and can't navigate the course or streets without cheating. You put the camera on them and they'll ram everything and plough though things causing them to slow down but as soon as you move the camera away, they'll speed up as if nothing is there. Thi's is primarily down to how the world is rendered around the camera though. Either way, I agree the races are garbage.

Defalt221
01-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I stopped playing those races after playing the first race. Watch Dogs had better AI drivers.

joelsantos24
01-01-2016, 12:16 PM
I'd say Syndicate is garbage, but that's just me.

DISH0N0REDTHI4F
01-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Must admit that I found the races hard going although I did eventually manage the three wins necessary for the trophy/achievement. Easily my least liked aspect of Syndicate.

MikeFNY
01-01-2016, 03:00 PM
They can be hard but as someone pointed out, make sure to take all carraige-related skills before you race. I only had to attempt one race multiple times, forgot where, the rest were relatively straight forward.

I'd say Syndicate is garbage, but that's just me.

I wouldn't be so harsh on the game, unless you mean the story and characters. Those were nothing special, I agree, but the game was fun, even the racing :)

joelsantos24
01-01-2016, 10:06 PM
(...) I wouldn't be so harsh on the game, unless you mean the story and characters. Those were nothing special, I agree, but the game was fun, even the racing :)
Being completely honest with you, I have to say that Syndicate is the AC game that I like the least. I cannot say I do not like it, because I am a hardcore fan of the series, but Syndicate is the last on the list, no doubt. I mentioned it in the other topic of the Forum, but even loving Unity as much as I do, I still consider it's story lacking some depth. Syndicate, has no depth, to begin with. In fact, calling it insipid is an understatement. And speaking of characters? I do not consider Syndicate to have any, at least in the perfect sense of the concept. And in a series with such a strong precedent for emblematic and charismatic protagonists, Jacob and Evie are nothing but a sad joke. It is just sad, nothing more can define my mindset after buying and playing the game for the first time. It is the first AC game ever to make me postpone playing, simply because it is so boring and unappealing. The feeling has not changed, I am just appalled.

MikeFNY
01-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Being completely honest with you, I have to say that Syndicate is the AC game that I like the least. I cannot say I do not like it, because I am a hardcore fan of the series, but Syndicate is the last on the list, no doubt. I mentioned it in the other topic of the Forum, but even loving Unity as much as I do, I still consider it's story lacking some depth. Syndicate, has no depth, to begin with. In fact, calling it insipid is an understatement. And speaking of characters? I do not consider Syndicate to have any, at least in the perfect sense of the concept. And in a series with such a strong precedent for emblematic and charismatic protagonists, Jacob and Evie are nothing but a sad joke. It is just sad, nothing more can define my mindset after buying and playing the game for the first time. It is the first AC game ever to make me postpone playing, simply because it is so boring and unappealing. The feeling has not changed, I am just appalled.

Yes, I fully understand your concern, Jacob's buffoon mentality to build his own gang and cause havoc around the city just didn't do it for me and neither did reading Evie's teenage-like diary where her concern is about daddy warning her that relationships could compromise the Brotherhood or that she called Mr. Green "very informally".

But hoping not to sound presumptuous, I sort of expected this from the game which is why I approached it with one objective in mind, "make it as fun as possible". I cannot criticise the fun aspect of the game, for me it was huge fun although in all fairness, having gone back to Unity to complete missions the way they should be done(as I said in the other thread), I'm starting to love Unity very, very much.

joelsantos24
01-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Yes, I fully understand your concern, Jacob's buffoon mentality to build his own gang and cause havoc around the city just didn't do it for me and neither did reading Evie's teenage-like diary where her concern is about daddy warning her that relationships could compromise the Brotherhood or that she called Mr. Green "very informally".

But hoping not to sound presumptuous, I sort of expected this from the game which is why I approached it with one objective in mind, "make it as fun as possible". I cannot criticise the fun aspect of the game, for me it was huge fun although in all fairness, having gone back to Unity to complete missions the way they should be done(as I said in the other thread), I'm starting to love Unity very, very much.
Exactly. You look back at the series' protagonists and then again to Jacob and Evie, and you just get horrified. There is no need to elaborate any further, it is horrifying. I still remember one of the meeting between the twins and Green, at the start of the game in London: "Jacob, this is serious" says Evie; "I am not doing anything until this gets fixed", replies Jacob. Jacob is an idiot, I think we all agree on that, and plus he has ADD and hyperactivity syndromes all together. I do not know what Evie is, although, to be perfectly honest.

I still play it, and I have been playing more, recently. But the fun is not there, and right now I am just aiming at completing the game and not touching it again. Unity is amazing, and I loved every minute of it. I have to admit that I was fortunate enough to own a fairly immaculate copy of the game, because many people had a completely flawed experience with it.

dnameless1
01-10-2016, 12:52 AM
The AI constantly smashes you
"Boost" is a waste of time as you can never catch up to the AI.
Even the skill you can buy that makes boosts faster does not make a difference.
When the AI is behind you they always obtain a boost fast enough to catch up and pass you alot.
Ramming the AI most times dont matter as they correct themselves too fast.

This need to be sorted.

Response to an older post but still (at least partially) correct as far as I can tell and I'm just going to "rant" a bit in response to these points;

I had pretty much fun with the rest of the game, and I'm almost at the end. I noticed there's an item I can only get with approval rate 5 with the boxing/racing guy, so I figured I'd do that before finishing the rest.

Reason I wanted to respond to this; I'm (also?) getting the impressing the "game" is just "cheating" on the racing part. Somehow they always seem to bump into "you" (which is fine, up till a point), and/or capable of taking "you" over even when "you"'re way ahead (which is a bigger issue for me). In short, I'm just getting the impression this is just a luck thing and has very little to do with any skill (or even luck since I've seen "me" being taken over at the last moment).

In short, way too much frustration for (what imho should be) a relatively minor thing compared to the rest of the game. Perhaps there's a trick/technique to finishing the races at first place (I did read the rest of the current thread), but this is no fun. Might be censored so I'll just do it myself, but cr*p shoot comes to mind.

edit: forgot to mention; on pc
edit2: point 1,3, and 4 I agree with, point 2 (if that's at least one of the "perks") also.

dnameless1
01-10-2016, 04:11 AM
Response to an older post but still (at least partially) correct as far as I can tell and I'm just going to "rant" a bit in response to these points;

I had pretty much fun with the rest of the game, and I'm almost at the end. I noticed there's an item I can only get with approval rate 5 with the boxing/racing guy, so I figured I'd do that before finishing the rest.

Reason I wanted to respond to this; I'm (also?) getting the impressing the "game" is just "cheating" on the racing part. Somehow they always seem to bump into "you" (which is fine, up till a point), and/or capable of taking "you" over even when "you"'re way ahead (which is a bigger issue for me). In short, I'm just getting the impression this is just a luck thing and has very little to do with any skill (or even luck since I've seen "me" being taken over at the last moment).

In short, way too much frustration for (what imho should be) a relatively minor thing compared to the rest of the game. Perhaps there's a trick/technique to finishing the races at first place (I did read the rest of the current thread), but this is no fun. Might be censored so I'll just do it myself, but cr*p shoot comes to mind.

edit: forgot to mention; on pc
edit2: point 1,3, and 4 I agree with, point 2 (if that's at least one of the "perks") also.

Reply on my own reply, for timestamp sake (wondering how long it took me to finally finish that &!#%^)..

Finally made it, got to level 4 or 5 (max anyway), finished the races at nr1 where one can get to 1st/2nd/3rd etc place (those are apparently relevant to reaching max level).

I stick with my "luck" element, and besides that, I'd suggest trying to take it slow in the beginning of any race where there are competitors (the "laps" races, for instance).

I'm getting the impression "your" competitors just match your speed, so spamming that specific (whip) key won't help in the beginning. Try waiting until at least some competitors run into other traffic, and, besides that, be prepared to reload often. AI _will_ overtake you; if you have someone to watch while you try, or if you're alone but manage to watch the other white "arrows" on the map, you/they will notice how ridiculously fast they can catch up. And start to run into you.

Apart from that, I got blocked on a certain race more than once in a specific narrow tunnel by the "nr1". Consequence was getting a huge slowdown, got overtaken by "nr3" and "nr4", while my blocker (nr"1") had no problem at all with rapidly increasing distance between "us".

I don't think I've (reloaded and) cursed so many times in recent history.

Worst. Mission(s). Ever.

edit1: close to 3 hours, blegh.
edit2: clarification; need nr1 place at certain races

Col.Whitestone
03-13-2016, 06:20 PM
I don't think I've (reloaded and) cursed so many times in recent history.

Worst. Mission(s). Ever.

Seconded!

Jessigirl2013
03-14-2016, 08:35 PM
Seconded!

Thirded!:rolleyes:

Even more so that it the only way to get max loyalty with Robert the tosser-topping.:rolleyes:

StrikeBR_1967
04-23-2017, 02:14 AM
I don't about you guys, but I can see the british sense of humor of the twins. As usual Ubisoft used the same Unity's game engine to build Syndicate, No surprise on that,
I think that would help you to read the book Underground, that gives you the background story to understand more the game.
For me the unique assassinations was a pleasure to do. killing Lucy, the Doctor and Maxell Roth was very fun to me.
IN every AC game realeased, I try to do not brew too much expectations... So I get what they have, not what I expect. The good part is that All bugs in Unty was solved and I couldn't see then in Syndicate. I played and I have all AC games, Times in times I pick one of them and I ply again from zero. just fo fun.

Soko_99
09-30-2018, 10:34 PM
I am finding these races just plain horse Sht. I'll take the lead immediately, and every frickign run, in the last corner there will be an impossible blockage of carriages that the lead can't avoid while the guys in 3rd just sail past it. It's been 4 races in a row where I'm leading the entire round except for the last corner where the AI which was lagging behind (had a round where I led a full lap without even seeing them on the minimap) yet somehow they overtake you in the end anyways. As long as one is ahead, you can't go faster than them, but they're always able to make up any lead you may have even when you're boosting constantly and not hitting anything.

entredlis
10-04-2018, 07:28 PM
I think the same