PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Magic

cat-tooth
10-25-2015, 04:43 AM
It seems that the developers are trying to keep this game relatively realistic (no fantasy elements like magic, monsters, etc) to keep the emphasis on getting as close to the feel of actual sword fighting as possible, free of other distractions. I have no problem with that whatsoever and totally get where they're coming from, but... it still doesn't make me not want to play a game like this that DID have those things. The Art of Battle system that they've come up with seems like it could be very versatile and adapted to other kinds of games. Imagine a wizard duel where attacks, blocks and dodges were determined by a long-range version of the Art of Battle. That would be a cool enough game in itself, but if you give the warrior class magical weapons with the ability to block spells, and daggers or throwing axes to help close distances on far away enemies, add an archer class (even though they suck) and a scout class for stealth assassinations, sprinkle in some ogres, ents and horses, and then turn them all loose with a decent assortment of traditional multi-player game modes, and you have the makings of an epic multi-player fantasy action game the likes of which is not available anywhere else. If people liked some classes but not others they could create servers or game modes dedicated to certain scenarios like "wizards only" or "no archers." I'm just throwing stuff out here, but that is a game which I would really like to play.

Dez_troi_aR
10-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Absolutly no.
No. Nope. Not really.

I reject this because of 3 reasons:

The most important one first : Gameplay
ForHonor with its Art of Battle System might be just what Consoles need : A Competitive Game format that works better on consoles (controller) then on PC. (One might argue that there are already things that work better on a controller, but those are not as innovative and effective as the for Honor MEchanics MIGHT turn out to be.
So, if we reduce the importance of the mechanics that will hopefully enable detailed, entertaining and deep Control of cool-looking melee combat, in favor of mechanics that are NOT innovative, NOT deep (like.. let me guess: throwing a fireball?) and would work better on a PC (Aim Mechanics), we would ruin everything we could have had.
BTW: Therefor, abilitys like arrow storm, knights' artillery etc. should definitly NOT be too big of a deal in "Lategame" by wich i mean expert lvl gaming. They should be viable on a tactical lvl, to control the battlefield, damage minions etc, but not be of great practical usage in direct combat. Instead, we need more moves in duel situations, that only an expert can pull of.

You could argue about this second reason : Increased effort for the defs
If we want to have this game before coming of Blizzards "end of time" we better be careful with all our little wishes and sparkling things that we want to see in the game. Of course there must be serious content in a released game. But is it really necessary to have a spartan/indianWarrior/Celt/RussianWarrior and what not. Allow me some sarcasm: Its sure a nice thing if every single player in this game can have a **** about how he is leading his very special own lokal hero to victory. But putting in another Class means not only giving him a nice design and a big soword, it also means balancing it against 3 other races with their subclasses, which most likly means changing them as well. And suddenly you have a hughe mess. Same thing counts for things like "Hey, lets take magic in it"

Third one is about style. And i know that this is a subjective Point
Lets focus in the strengths of our new hypeGame :) . In ForHonor that clearly is that we have ****ing Vikings batteling Samurai while batteling knights jesusfreakingchristYES!!!
Anything that pullls the focus away from that in contraproductive for the imigary, in my opinion. By making them something wizard-like or including more things that the diminishes the historical or at least the pop-cultural prototype of Samurai-viking-knight, we would make the whole game more fantasy-esque and we all have seen that 10000000000 times ago. Instead of a VIKING FIGHTING A SAMURAI FIGHTING A KNIGHT we would have a magic-fantasy-Diablo2-Barbarian (warcrys etc) vs some sort of fantasy paladin (heal spells and buffs and stuff...seen and seen and seen) and the typical lightly-armoured roughe-type of fighter. Thanks, no.
Anything that makes this game less of what we know so far would be bad for it. We need more things that makes it feel like MORE of what we've seen.
Sounds conservative but it isn't. The game beeing focused on melee would be the real innovation.

What do you think ?

MisterWillow
10-25-2015, 07:52 PM
Could be cool, I think, to have dueling wizards; though, given that projectiles need to cover a distance, unless they moved inordinately fast, it might be too easy to see them coming (literally) and defend against them. Of course, if players had an infinite base magic projectile, it could easily turn into a multiplayer bullet-hell, and so become almost impossible for any player to possibly defend against every attack, which would be very interesting to watch. Don't know how much fun it would be to play, but it would be interesting to watch.

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/72/72f40b02cc54254d96a3c797eca45a2743867b71404eb31659 1a4ee1a96a50f7.jpg

cat-tooth
10-25-2015, 10:15 PM
I'm sure there would probably be some sort of simple projectile attacks like traditional fireballs, probably for the quick attack, but for the strong attacks I was thinking of something a little more involved, like a series of quick, or in some cases longer and more involved, Harry Potter vs Voldemort kamehmeha showdowns. Think Gandalf vs Saruman or Bavmorda vs Fin Raziel. In some situations attacks could be blocked outright, in others, there would be more back and forth with reversals. Art of Battle would determine the outcome of these interactions the same way they're using it already. If one person got the upper hand they could do throws, force chokes, or any number of other effects, ideally well still retaining the defender's ability to get out of it. There could also be larger aoe spells which would let players control parts of the battle field and open up new tactics. The idea is to have a deeper and more involved experience than just a simple fireball exchange.
Also, just to be clear, I am not at all advocating adding any of this to the current game. I was just thinking of all of the things that they could do if they transplanted the Art of Battle system into other games.

Dead1y-Derri
10-26-2015, 12:50 AM
We have so many games that kind of do this, sword and magic play.....so I'd have to vote no. Plus since magic would likely have to be projectile, it couldn't be implemented well because then it would turn into a weird 3rd person shooter kind of, with magic and swords.

cat-tooth
10-26-2015, 02:00 AM
I'm sure there would inevitably be some loose projectiles, but for the main dueling aspect I was thinking of something more like elemental-based energy effects which would move fluidly and be more whip-like. The Art of Battle system could still function much the same way as for sword-fighting, just on a larger scale and from farther away. The actual kamehameha-style standoff has been done many times so I wouldn't want it to just be that, but a direct lock-up like that could still have some place by replacing the button-mashing which usually determines those things with a series of art of battle exchanges so you felt more in control. I'm sure you could probably charge some meter or something to use more powerful, character-specific abilities.
Also, while it's true that there are many rpg type games out there which use magic in some way or another, most are either single player or co-op. I think that it would be a pretty cool and fairly unique thing to have an action oriented, vs multiplayer game with a control system as intricate as what we're talking about.

Dead1y-Derri
10-26-2015, 05:39 PM
I still don't favour this idea personally. Adding magic would also take away the cool feeling you get as a Knight or Viking or Samurai to then suddenly have wizards and you've got a sword, it just doesn't exactly flow right with me personally. Furthermore we've had several games already that offers magic and sword combat. I mean games like The Elder Scrolls Online and the previous game series has had this.

BoldAlphawolf
06-21-2016, 11:59 AM
For Honor is exactly the type of game i aways wanted, warrior vs warrior, No caster's!!!!

MathiasCB
06-21-2016, 01:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEv9imghY2Y

TripleJay_X
06-21-2016, 01:59 PM
not magic, really. it ain't the witcher-game. or do i get IGNI aswell? :p

but i wouldn't mind a big human-like-monster, like the one from games of thrones.

MisterWillow
06-21-2016, 07:37 PM
not magic, really. it ain't the witcher-game. or do i get IGNI aswell? :p

but i wouldn't mind a big human-like-monster, like the one from games of thrones.

As long as I get Axii, so I can make you cast Igni at your teammates. :p

TripleJay_X
06-21-2016, 07:49 PM
As long as I get Axii, so I can make you cast Igni at your teammates. :p

haha, but you should watch while you prepare your Axii, i don't throw a Nordern Wind bomb @ you :p

MisterWillow
06-21-2016, 08:13 PM
haha, but you should watch while you prepare your Axii, i don't throw a Nordern Wind bomb @ you :p

Just be careful when coming in for the kill... there might be an alt-Yrden waiting for you. ;)

YouPlay4free
08-03-2016, 02:22 PM
I'd like magic.

I'm pretty sure there's little to no chance of it being present in the campaign or story modes of the game. So, if possible, in MP would be satisfactory enough.

However, gaming experience tells me that the game script likely did not incorporate magic mechanics from its inception -- therefore, to 'patch' it in, would be an unlikely proposition.

DoomedSaint
08-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I'm against anything that would take away from the melee

fellhawk
08-03-2016, 07:43 PM
I voted "Maybe" because it would depend on implementation.

For example, the "feats" seem kind of magical already...there's no way to heal yourself 100% in a real battle. So things could have a magical spin.

I just wouldn't want the game combat to become Skyrim-like in its magic fireball throwing, but if done well it could work.

ksatnodesaelp
08-03-2016, 11:17 PM
I don't want magic in this game specifically, since its focus is on the melee fighting, but a magic system that uses the different stances comboed together to cast spells seems pretty cool to me. Maybe even going so far as to vary the power/utility of a spell based off how long an individual combo is, I.E. ^,<,>,>,<,^ VS ^,<,< left would be the more powerful/ useful spell because it would take more time to cast due to the gestures used and presumably more mana/magic/MP, they could even implement different things, such as dead combos and interruption upon taking damage or moving, and add a 4th stance/gesture/whatever into the mix just for more varied combinations since I'd rather see this in a different game anyways.

Wyzpr
08-04-2016, 02:03 PM
I think i would like A game that had it, but NO, I don't wish this game had it.

What drew me in was the swordplay and tactical options with it that were shown in the demos. I love games with magic but I like where this is headed and want to see where they take it. The tech test started 2 mins ago and I cant wait to get home to play it.

PowerSenpai
08-16-2016, 02:44 AM
I think i would like A game that had it, but NO, I don't wish this game had it.

What drew me in was the swordplay and tactical options with it that were shown in the demos. I love games with magic but I like where this is headed and want to see where they take it. The tech test started 2 mins ago and I cant wait to get home to play it.

He did specifically state "A" game though, not "this" game.

ZenBearV13
08-16-2016, 06:42 PM
People need to actually read the title and OP. He's not saying "Put magic in For Honor" he's saying he would like to see a completely different game use the Art of Battle system (or something similar) that incorporated magic. I, for one, would love to see that. In fact I hope we get a giant slew of "For Honor Copycat" games that take the core principles of For Honor and apply them to different settings and genres. I think this could make for an awesome Star Wars Jedi game. Attack with the lightsaber, guard break is Force Push, etc.

Butterbr0t_x
08-17-2016, 07:19 AM
For Honor is exactly the type of game i aways wanted, warrior vs warrior, No caster's!!!!

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward
Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both
For a wounded man will shall say to his assailant
"If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven"
Such is the rule of honor

I dont like the idea of range battle, magic and stuff like that - there are so many games where you can go with that gameplay and be happy (and stay away aswell^^)! I thought when i saw the first for honor trailer "YES!! Finally a game where u can play with a hard on in a "no gay" way :D"

To be honest - i played at a friend of mine the alpha for a few hours and its manly as ****! Dont know how to combine it with magic - sounds good for another game, not for this one!

Johnnyboytw
08-18-2016, 08:08 PM
I'm always ready to hear nice ideas but, if magic gets into this game... it will lose all its sense. The best point of FOR HONOR is that this game is focused on melee combat (and even that, it has quite a lot of variety in this genre) and the hardness of the first line fights. So please, just stay at this point and optimize the game, don't f*ck it up with magic or otherworld skills that will make the team work on new things such as fix constantly all the changes thatevery warrior needs when a new script is created. :( Sorry if you don't understand perfectly, i'm spanish and my grammar is not the best in the world. Cheers and see you on the battlefield!

AkenoKobayashi
09-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Absolutely not. I don't want some pansy mage trying to fry me while I'm having a one-on-one fight. Or worse, healing my opponent when I'm winning. You want a game with magic, go play Smite. There has not been, from what I know, a pure melee only medieval game that actually features more than just European knights. I have never played a game that had Samurai in it. It excites me to think of the fun and glory of fighting as a Samurai in a sword duel. Throwing magic into this would ruin the experience for people who like this kind of combat.

MisterWillow
09-10-2016, 04:09 AM
Absolutely not. I don't want some pansy mage trying to fry me while I'm having a one-on-one fight. Or worse, healing my opponent when I'm winning. You want a game with magic, go play Smite. There has not been, from what I know, a pure melee only medieval game that actually features more than just European knights. I have never played a game that had Samurai in it. It excites me to think of the fun and glory of fighting as a Samurai in a sword duel. Throwing magic into this would ruin the experience for people who like this kind of combat.

I think someone else pointed out the point of the thread was to discuss magic with the Art of Battle system, or something like it, in an entirely separate hypothetical game, not a suggestion to put magic into For Honor.

iHunny
09-10-2016, 05:05 AM
I think someone else pointed out the point of the thread was to discuss magic with the Art of Battle system, or something like it, in an entirely separate hypothetical game, not a suggestion to put magic into For Honor.

Oh? In a different game? Yeah shure, then I am all for it but not in For Honor.

Fatal-Feit
09-10-2016, 06:00 AM
I can't find my old thread, but I basically I suggested a Blood Dragon-like expansion for For Honor, which takes its assets and story and set it in an alternate universe with real fantasy creatures and the like.

Basically, it's still FH, but replace some characters with elves/orcs/etc, soldiers with goblins, feats with magic/sorcery and traps with mythical monsters like a Kraken that you can awaken during the midst of battle to snatch down enemies near the bridge. It's basically still FH, just with a mythical aesthetic to it. As the game currently is, range attacks are already pretty common, with feats like catapults, arrow storm, kunais, bombs, and bow and arrows. And there's already some 'magical' stuff in it like the Orochi's 'ki blast' that stuns and drain nearby enemies' stamina with a Jedi force push and those feats that heal you.

I feel like there's a lot of creativity they can do with this, but I can understand the purists' POV. I remember disliking the strange direction the game took after the last E3 and it took a while to warm up on me.

General_Valor
09-10-2016, 09:53 PM
You had me at Blood Dragon.

ZenBearV13
09-11-2016, 04:24 AM

Yes, thank you! Peeps gotsta read the OP before they post!

Basically, it's still FH, but replace some characters with elves/orcs/etc, soldiers with goblins, feats with magic/sorcery and traps with mythical monsters like a Kraken that you can awaken during the midst of battle to snatch down enemies near the bridge.

That sounds awesome! Active environmental hazards would be so sick! Go all out with Krakens assaulting bridges and Dragons raining fire from above, keep it mundane-ish with spinning blade and dart traps like classic D&D dungeons, or branch out with unique themes like Egyptian crypts with flesh eating scarab pits and mummies popping out of sarcophagi! :D

Vanraalte89
09-12-2016, 02:33 PM
noooooope

PowerSenpai
09-13-2016, 10:24 AM
I'm always ready to hear nice ideas but, if magic gets into this game... it will lose all its sense. The best point of FOR HONOR is that this game is focused on melee combat (and even that, it has quite a lot of variety in this genre) and the hardness of the first line fights. So please, just stay at this point and optimize the game, don't f*ck it up with magic or otherworld skills that will make the team work on new things such as fix constantly all the changes thatevery warrior needs when a new script is created. :( Sorry if you don't understand perfectly, i'm spanish and my grammar is not the best in the world. Cheers and see you on the battlefield!

As before mentioned, the entire point of this thread was a new game with a similar combat system using magic instead, not "f-ing" up this game with magic elements.

GrimKing71
09-13-2016, 04:51 PM
This game is Very fantasy...
Its about a Magical Deity that rips three cultures literally from the ground and takes them through space and time, crashing the three land forms together into a floating island where they are forced to fight, so far for 1000 years and that is where the game starts.

loxor633
09-14-2016, 03:16 PM
what makes the core idea of For Honour good is its originalityof its idea. Think back to when you first saw the trailer..... If I want magic I would be playing Diablo 3! LOL Which I do but the essense of the idea is the different types of warrior. No add ons.....just pure warrior skill

This is close quarters combat game. Thats what I think we all want..
I dont want to be killed by a spell from a top of a hill LOL

I, being of ancient wisdom, come from a time long ago.....the time of Rune : Halls of valhalla, ok ok you can stop laughing now...;)
The amount of time I played that game in my youth is mind boggling but it was my first hack n slash but by golly was it fun.

To quote Dez_troi-aR above "diminishes the historical or at least the pop-cultural prototype of Samurai-viking-knight"
Good point
There's too many games at the moment with same sort of stuff going on.... Its going to be so good not to get into a multiplayer with the same soldiers or stormstroopers....but different historical warriors.

Its never been done before...you get into a story in other games and youre up against foes related to that story and time period.
The idea of the game is original and inventive and I really do not want to see it pushed down towards the roads of magic....and I am a keen Diablo 3 player and not against spells magic and such but not here please.

This is going to be in your face close quarters stuff. That is what is igniting our imaginations and desire for the game right now.

Please just keep it pure.

loxor633
09-14-2016, 03:21 PM
Its about a Magical Deity that rips three cultures literally from the ground and takes them through space and time, crashing the three land forms together into a floating island where they are forced to fight, so far for 1000 years and that is where the game starts.

Yes historically you could not bend time and place all these warriors on one battlefield so theres got to be fantasy involved. But after they are plonked onto the battlefield...why not let them scrap it out and see which warrior wins under their own historical no magic skills.

iHunny
09-14-2016, 06:22 PM

Erh what? From what I understood the trailer it was a global event that made resources scarse and forced the 3 mayor cultures to battle over it and they been doing so for 1000 of years, they even forgot why they originaly fighted. No where did I see any hint of a deity or a sky island.

GrimKing71
09-15-2016, 02:28 AM
Erh what? From what I understood the trailer it was a global event that made resources scarse and forced the 3 mayor cultures to battle over it and they been doing so for 1000 of years, they even forgot why they originaly fighted. No where did I see any hint of a deity or a sky island.

Ahhhh yes, My bad. Apollyon seemed supernatural to me and the cataclysm in the Trailer made it look like they where lifting the castle completely out of the ground.
I Fully misunderstand that trailer... lol