PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion about the light heartness of Syndicate? *SPOILERS*

RA503
10-24-2015, 09:40 PM
This game are very funny, sometimes extrapolate,not reach a Metal Gear level of nonsense,but the plot is a level of maniqueism that made AC 2 looks like Watchman.the game intro
looks like a nintendo game.

''the templar leder and prince darkness starick put his claws in the good kingdom of britain''

what you think about that,I think is good,but sometimes entertainment needs darkness, if not,people will become easy delusional and nobody will have guts to become a police or a surgeon.....

LoyalACFan
10-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Not sure what you meant in your last paragraph, but I'm not really a fan of the light-heartedness. I mean, some levity is fine to keep the game from taking itself overly seriously, but Syndicate feels like a comedy, which is not what I want out of a game with graphic violence and political murder; it just doesn't mix well for me.

SofaJockey
10-24-2015, 10:14 PM
It has lightness, but it's no Saints Row.
I'm enjoying the level...

The tone is set by the protagonist(s).

And if it's too serious (e.g. Connor) people complain endlessly.

VestigialLlama4
10-25-2015, 07:47 AM
I think SYNDICATE was too light but given the kind of game they were trying to make, a fairly shallow disposable open world rendition of London, it's the right tone.

AC games orbit between serious and not-so-serious but even the Ezio games, more light-hearted than AC1, and Black Flag, more light-hearted than AC3, had some serious bits mixed with the light-hearted section. In Syndicate you don't have that so much, so it feels a little fake.

The story also doesn't take things to the logical conclusion in terms of character and gameplay, so the ending is this manufactured fake resolution you find in Victorian melodrama. So maybe its more fitting.

RVSage
10-25-2015, 08:09 AM
The story also doesn't take things to the logical conclusion in terms of character and gameplay, so the ending is this manufactured fake resolution you find in Victorian melodrama. So maybe its more fitting.

Speaking of endings. It reminds me one of my favorite lines of Achilles from AC3. "Life is not a fairy tale , there are no happy endings". AC3 was my favourite story in the series. Nothing has beaten it so far(to me) . People are speaking about representation of females and transgenders in Syndicate. AC3 had representation of so indigenous cultures of North America. It was a great game. I am a big fan of Connor. I so wish just like they gave closure for Edward(Syndicate I hear goes through the mansion) and Haytham(Rogue), they should give us a closure on Connor

On the topic of the thread. Light is good as long as every game is not light. Each time they should give a different tone to the story. But still have other elements too. As long as any feel of the games are "NOT" overdone anything is fine. For instance the "love angle" in Unity was over done .

VestigialLlama4
10-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Speaking of endings. It reminds me one of my favorite lines of Achilles from AC3. "Life is not a fairy tale , there are no happy endings".

Well if you are a white guy, and maybe a white girl and were Christian (i.e. not openly atheist or Jewish) and/or straight, then historically you get to have happier endings. It's part of the double standard of games and historical stories in general.

I mean Syndicate's story logically should have ended with Jacob and Evie parting ways, that he would become a gang leader or quit the Assassins, while Evie would stay, or that eventually the two of them would fight each other. That was the dramatic endpoint to the tension and conflict we see in the game, where the two of them clearly have a fair bit of resentment to each other. Jacob because Evie was closer to his father, and Evie because Jacob is arrogant and doesn't take things seriously or rather mocks stuff she takes seriously. Eventually that would lead to them turning on each other and the ending just deflates that. I wouldn't be surprised if they planned to go that way initially but finally backed out for some reason.

On the topic of the thread. Light is good as long as every game is not light. Each time they should give a different tone to the story. But still have other elements too. As long as any feel of the games are "NOT" overdone anything is fine. For instance the "love angle" in Unity was over done .

Well, I actually like love stories, and I don't mind them. It's implicit in the logic of the games that eventually the Assassins find that special someone and enlarge the gene pool.

adventurewomen
10-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Speaking of endings. It reminds me one of my favorite lines of Achilles from AC3. "Life is not a fairy tale , there are no happy endings". AC3 was my favourite story in the series. Nothing has beaten it so far(to me) . People are speaking about representation of females and transgenders in Syndicate. AC3 had representation of so indigenous cultures of North America. It was a great game. I am a big fan of Connor. I so wish just like they gave closure for Ed.ward(Syndicate I hear goes through the mansion) and Haytham(Rogue), they should give us a closure on Connor
... .
Agreed! Well Said! :)

saw2097
10-25-2015, 06:11 PM
I liked it from what I saw.

It helped counter the dark MD story line, particularly when you consider that the MD story had such a dark and ominous ending.

Maybe that is why they gave the twins a happy ending, because the MD story didn't have one.

Journey93
10-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Personally I'm not a fan, I just completed the story today and felt nothing at the end.

You don't have to be serious and depressing all the time (like in AC3) but the Ezio games and Black Flag showed that some fun mixed with serious stuff can be good.
But Syndicate's story was just underwhelming

I felt no attachment to the characters, there were no stakes and the ending was a joke.

Hell Unity's story was even better. I'm not a fan of Arno but Jacob & Evie just didn't appeal to me at all and were much worse

VestigialLlama4
10-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Personally I'm not a fan, I just completed the story today and felt nothing at the end.

You don't have to be serious and depressing all the time (like in AC3) but the Ezio games and Black Flag showed that some fun mixed with serious stuff can be good.
But Syndicate's story was just underwhelming

I felt no attachment to the characters, there were no stakes and the ending was a joke.

Hell Unity's story was even better. I'm not a fan of Arno but Jacob & Evie just didn't appeal to me at all and were much worse

Unity was more pretentious than Syndicate. Unity was a throwaway commercial plot with no passion that tried to doll itself up as a major release. Syndicate is a punky kid that doesn't try to be something it isn't, so it's a more virtuous game.

Story-wise Syndicate is a much more interesting look at some of the ideas which Unity talked about but did not actually show, like the Templars changing tactics and wanting to control society rather than control the political authorities. So the Assassins in Syndicate, similar to Altair in AC1 with Garnier de Naplouse, can't attack the Templars without facing consequences and disruptions and the like. The reason it doesn't work in UNITY is simply that the context of the French Revolution doesn't fit that concept whereas it does fit perfectly in the setting of Syndicate.

whatr_those
10-25-2015, 07:49 PM
I thought the light-heartedness was a refreshing change of pace and thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through... well, until the end.

The ending is too light-hearted and arguably the most uninspired one in the series, consequently being received as anti-climatic and lacking in substance.

VestigialLlama4
10-25-2015, 08:00 PM
I thought the light-heartedness was a refreshing change of pace and thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through... well, until the end.

The ending is too light-hearted and arguably the most uninspired one in the series, consequently being received as anti-climatic and lacking in substance.

You know if you play the Queen Victoria Memories, which unlock only after the main story, you actually find a very nice ending, that doesn't change the game's tone but is kind of more biting and fitting the tone than what we see otherwise. I wish we had that earlier because it's quite cool.

SenseHomunculus
10-25-2015, 09:05 PM
I thought the tone was fitting of the main characters. Jacob has a typical acerbic British sense of humor, Evie balances it out nicely, much like they way they each interact with people. Very believable. I know lots of people IRL who are exactly like each of them.

ProdiGurl
10-25-2015, 09:39 PM
It has lightness, but it's no Saints Row.
I'm enjoying the level...

The tone is set by the protagonist(s).

And if it's too serious (e.g. Connor) people complain endlessly.

It doesn't matter what they do, people won't like it....
For me almost finishing mission 2 w/ Evie, I LOVE it. To me it truly captures the spirit of "Jolly old England"... I think it's supposed to be like this. I like all things British tho - even Tophats, so maybe I'm just naturally more partial to it than other people.
So far I'm loving it and I'll see how I feel as it goes along.
Different eras need to be unique, people want AC to keep following a set pattern they have envisioned from earlier games.
Let it go.

cawatrooper9
10-26-2015, 03:08 PM
I think it works. I general, I think most people tend to like the more lighter AC games.

While heavy and serious games like ACIII and ACR (I think ACU tried to do this too, but in my opinion it didn't) deliver compelling stories, they tend to aleinate everyone but die-hard fans. Black Flag and Syndicate do a good job of making the games more accessible and enjoyable. It may not add a ton to the lore, but it's probably one of the most fun AC games ever made.

On top of that, it doesn't ignore the lore, not by any means. In fact, it embraces it. Seeing the Kenway mansion, an Apple of Eden in the beginning... not to mention the little stuff, like how Jacob wipes his targets blood with a handkerchief much like Altair with his feather- it's full of little love letters to the fans.

I'm only about halfway through the story (and even less far in the side content) but I've found so many amazing things to appreciate about this game.

RegeRoka
12-23-2015, 10:34 PM
I loved it, from start to end. Nice characters, funny interactions, plus it reminded me of my relationship with my brother. If someone is emotionally invested, it can be hardly a miss, but my opinion still counts, doesn't it?

Sesheenku
12-24-2015, 06:09 AM
I was too bored with the story to care.

Ceelaris
12-24-2015, 12:12 PM
I quite liked the light tone. It felt like the game was poking fun at itself lightly. I enjoyed that, because games (and other media) often take themselves too seriously.

Civona
12-25-2015, 01:19 AM
I only watched the opening and it seemed reasonably well-executed, but I feel like it's not the direction the series should go. AC3 was probably my favorite tone the series has set so far, and I liked it because the city and the guards/soldiers seemed serious and oppressive, and the story was very desperate and dark, but there was still humor and moments of light-heartedness. I think AC should aspire to not falling into one general tone above all else, and instead telling a dynamic and varied story in a grounded world.

I didn't like AC1's story because it felt one-note and static, but I think it perhaps set the tone better than any of the other games. If there was an AC game that took that tone and told a story that was sometimes intense, sometimes relaxed, sometimes serious, and sometimes funny, then I think that might be the best possible way to tell a story in AC.

Xstantin
12-25-2015, 02:32 AM
The ending kinda killed it for me. But I generally prefer pretentious moody things so yeah. I still got to play Jack the Ripper maybe I'll get my fix there

Sorrosyss
12-25-2015, 09:48 PM
It was a nice change of pace, as some others said. I felt it fit the twins honestly. Everyone knows the British are funny and witty. (Yay stereotyping)

I think the series needed to get away from the tired speculations of "x person is going to die" before the game even came out. It just shows the theme has been overplayed in the series to the point that we expect someone - usually the mentor, to pointlessly die - and having both the twins and Henry survive was much needed in my mind. We don't need too much melodrama in games. The real world has far too much of it already.

BananaBlighter
12-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Enjoyable, though my favourite has to be AC3. It had a great mix of that classic dark tone and some really gold moments in the dialogue.

shamanio
12-26-2015, 04:09 PM
I think Syndicate was to light and to fun for AC game.
In that case i think future AC games need to be more dark and more mature games - not comedy like Syndicate(btw jack's dlc was ok in case of darkness and serious themes - but the main game has too match comedy - i mean, we are playing for people who kill other humans beings - persons who take the life of other people they must be wise and serious in case of their decisions - while Evie and Jacob on main game just like a two kids who run from their parents to take a fun in big city) - i think Unity have the right ballance in that case - tie between nice humor and mature themes.

THE_JOKE_KING33
12-26-2015, 07:09 PM
I greatly prefer light-heartedness to seriousness personally, so I loved syndicate's story. I understand that some people want serious and "mature" stories and I can't argue with that, that's their opinion and taste, but honestly, those stories just doesn't do it for me in the slightest.