PDA

View Full Version : The rope launcher tool is excellent!

x-Lyyr-x
10-24-2015, 06:26 PM
I think this is a fun, clever new tool, I am having a ton of fun in the game. What do you folks think? What do you use it for most often?

LoyalACFan
10-24-2015, 06:34 PM
I have to admit, it's implemented a lot better than I thought it would be (it doesn't completely negate the need for parkour, which is good). I still can't say I actually LIKE it, though. I mean the physics behind it are patently ridiculous so I have a little bit of trouble getting past that, but even in gameplay, I feel just a tad heartbroken when I effortlessly zip up to the top of a building that I would have had to climb methodically in AC1-Brotherhood.

D.I.D.
10-24-2015, 06:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFewdU0JcA

EmptyCrustacean
10-24-2015, 06:51 PM
It would be better if you could actually see where it's going when you go vertically up a building.

darksavior1977
10-24-2015, 07:00 PM
I think this is a fun, clever new tool, I am having a ton of fun in the game. What do you folks think? What do you use it for most often?

I can only plus one this. Even though in gaming I am hard core simulationist, and the rope launcher is gamist, its too useful and fun to deny. Its great, and going forward into more futuristic settings where cities have wider roads and taller buildings, it will be good to use, along with driving and the parkour. Really getting to be aces with character mobility with all the options. Good work Ubisoft in this aspect for sure.

LoyalACFan
10-24-2015, 07:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFewdU0JcA

That's awesome, but it's nothing like the tool as depicted in the game.

Sprout1972
10-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Can anyone help, the launcher won't deploy is there something I am missing

I have tried going up buildings to use it aiming my pistol and all other avenues but with no prompts to press L1. Am I missing something?

x-Lyyr-x
10-25-2015, 10:42 AM
Can anyone help, the launcher won't deploy is there something I am missing

I have tried going up buildings to use it aiming my pistol and all other avenues but with no prompts to press L1. Am I missing something?

Hi, You have to finish a certain mission for a certain inventor to get the rope launcher. I am not going to spoil too much so I only say that you get it fairly early in Sequence 3.
I havent finished the game myself yet as I am collecting all the collectibles in an area before I move on, and oh my... the rope launcher makes it a lot faster.

x-Lyyr-x
10-25-2015, 10:47 AM
It would be better if you could actually see where it's going when you go vertically up a building.

True. I got into a couple awkward "escape" scenarios because I accidentally became a satellite and launched myself into outer space :)

SofaJockey
10-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Spiderman, Spiderman,
Does whatever a spider can
Spins a web, any size,
Catches thieves just like flies
Look Out!
Here comes the Spiderman.

I like rope launching across London.

RzaRecta357
10-25-2015, 03:39 PM
I didn't think I would like it. Thought it would look like Batman.

The animations sold me though. Hopping up the wall looks awesome and the way they yank themselves is great.

m4r-k7
10-25-2015, 04:17 PM
That's awesome, but it's nothing like the tool as depicted in the game.

The way they use it in game is not possible in real life, even by today's standards in technology, so that makes it even harder to believe it would be available during the Victorian era xD

SearStingray157
10-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Exactly my thoughts / worries. Fortunately, I really like the tool, and it does not feel like Batman at all. They did a good job with this.
Oh - and so far, I really like the game.

HDinHB
10-25-2015, 06:32 PM
I have to admit, it's implemented a lot better than I thought it would be (it doesn't completely negate the need for parkour, which is good). I still can't say I actually LIKE it, though. I mean the physics behind it are patently ridiculous so I have a little bit of trouble getting past that, but even in gameplay, I feel just a tad heartbroken when I effortlessly zip up to the top of a building that I would have had to climb methodically in AC1-Brotherhood.

It's a practical solution to the London problem. I've wanted an old-fashioned hand-thrown grappling hook for a long time, but this is more automatic than what I was looking for. It's required for getting some of the helix glitches, and I use it to cross the incredibly wide streets when I'm in a hurry (which is often). I rarely use it for vertical climbing, and never for syncing viewpoints. Evie did an okay job of climbing to Big Ben "manually" even though some of the climb-leaps were too floaty. I need to try it with Jacob as he feels heavier in some of his free running than Evie.

the way they yank themselves is great.

:rolleyes:

SenseHomunculus
10-25-2015, 08:38 PM

The animations sold me though. Hopping up the wall looks awesome and the way they yank themselves is great.

I agree 100%. When I saw it in the previews, etc I thought I'd never actually use it, but I'm using it all the time. I still enjoy climbing though, especially on some of the buildings that are rendered so beautifully like Parliament and Westminster Abbey. The detail is amazing.

even though some of the climb-leaps were too floaty.

I thought this was a LOT worse in Unity. They tweaked it so it's much less noticeable in Syndicate, IMO. One of the many issues from Unity they really refined this time round.