PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Assassin's Creed: Syndicate has saved the franchise?

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-23-2015, 11:05 PM
I haven't played the game yet, but I see the game has received a lot of positive reviews lately, which I think is a very good sign for the series.

With that being said, do you think this game saved the franchise from what we thought was its downfall?

In other words, did this game keep you more faithful in the series rather than lead you away from it? If the game got bad reviews, do you think you would have been done with the series?

Share your thoughts, and obviously, try to keep it spoiler free :)

strigoi1958
10-23-2015, 11:27 PM
saved from what ?

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-23-2015, 11:38 PM
saved from what ?

"The series' doom/downfall"

Sort of speak.

I-Like-Pie45
10-23-2015, 11:39 PM
nope

bitebug2003
10-23-2015, 11:45 PM
I've not started it yet but it looks promising from the reviews.

dimbismp
10-23-2015, 11:59 PM
I am at sequence 4 right now.It is still early,but i think that it is better than ACU.Still not as great as ACB/AC4 IMO.

I believe that the hardcore AC fans will be pleased,but it is too early to say about the general gaming community

strigoi1958
10-24-2015, 12:45 AM
which doom/downfall ? The imaginary one people always say will happen every year because MD is not playable ? or the one people predict every year so in 15 or 20 years when Ubi decide THEY'VE done enough people can say "told you it was going to fail" ;)

Perhaps you meant will Syndicate make the people who aren't happy any happier.... that's a no... people are usually pessimistic or optimistic or take life how it comes... the nay sayers will always look for bad points and ignore 99 good ones to find the bad one and cling on to it like a life preserver in a storm. The optimists always see the good points and don't let little things bother them so it falls to the middle group and that depends whether they felt upset before... probably not and even if they were they will either move on or buy and provided they enjoy this one they will not care... so no real doom or downfall except in the doom mongers heads :(

Journey93
10-24-2015, 01:00 AM
No it hasn't. Its better than Unity and London is great but the story and characters are underwhelming. To be honest Jacob and Evie are rather boring to me.
I'm not invested in their story so far, but I still have a few sequences so that might change.

The lack of MD is definitely disappointing especially with Ubi basically lying to our faces with bs like "MD will be back".
Also the combat is way too fast and just feels strange. And the graphics are a clear downgrade from Unity

Journey93
10-24-2015, 01:02 AM
which doom/downfall ? The imaginary one people always say will happen every year because MD is not playable ? or the one people predict every year so in 15 or 20 years when Ubi decide THEY'VE done enough people can say "told you it was going to fail" ;)

Perhaps you meant will Syndicate make the people who aren't happy any happier.... that's a no... people are usually pessimistic or optimistic or take life how it comes... the nay sayers will always look for bad points and ignore 99 good ones to find the bad one and cling on to it like a life preserver in a storm. The optimists always see the good points and don't let little things bother them so it falls to the middle group and that depends whether they felt upset before... probably not and even if they were they will either move on or buy and provided they enjoy this one they will not care... so no real doom or downfall except in the doom mongers heads :(

As always ready to defend Ubisoft no matter what. Don't you get tired with your blind fanboyism?
Of course all AC games are perfect and the people who complain just don't know any better, right?

Danny_rx7
10-24-2015, 01:09 AM
No.
It is so much better than poor Unity, but MD is really missing again.

This:

The lack of MD is definitely disappointing especially with Ubi basically lying to our faces with bs like "MD will be back".

HDinHB
10-24-2015, 01:59 AM
I'm not part of whatever "we" thought the series was on the brink of some downfall, and I don't think Syndicate had to "save" it. 2014 was not a good year for AC, but it wasn't an unmitigated disaster either.

In other words, did this game keep you more faithful in the series rather than lead you away from it?

If you phrase it that way, then yes, at least so far. Syndicate is fun, fresh, familiar, and nostalgic, all at once. Then again, I had high hopes for Unity after about the first third, so I hope Syndicate does a better job of delivering on its promise.

If the game got bad reviews, do you think you would have been done with the series?

No. What do reviewers know? I would no more quit playing a series I enjoyed because it got bad reviews than I would keep playing one I didn't enjoy because it got good reviews. That would be silly.

naumaan
10-24-2015, 02:07 AM

i kind of agree there lol ... haha

SpiritOfNevaeh
10-24-2015, 04:52 AM
When I say downfall, I'm talking about when Ive heard many people say that the series is just getting worse, gonna get worse, "this game is Ubisoft's last chance."

Factors that contributed to this may include the lack of a good storyline, games weren't good enough, too many games, game breaking glitches etc.

Sorry for any confusion :p

AquilaTempestas
10-24-2015, 04:59 AM
I feel like I'm one of the rare few who really doesn't think this game is all that great.

RzaRecta357
10-24-2015, 05:59 AM
Personally after 3 ended I was a bit upset and it died for me. Didn't pay much attention to IV but when it came out obviously I grabbed it right up and loved it. Story was great and I enjoyed the modern aspect... Thinking they'd probably introduce a new protagonist in one of the later games.

I'm thinking the official V may do that still.

But Unity again really killed it. I love character stories and while Arno's was good it just felt lacking and the modern day stuff was an absolute utter joke. I don't mind this style too bad but we'll see how I feel when it's all said and done.

But this game definitely brought all my love back.

strigoi1958
10-24-2015, 07:40 AM
When I say downfall, I'm talking about when Ive heard many people say that the series is just getting worse, gonna get worse, "this game is Ubisoft's last chance."

Factors that contributed to this may include the lack of a good storyline, games weren't good enough, too many games, game breaking glitches etc.

Sorry for any confusion :p

That's ok we live in a tiny bubble here.... AC sells millions and maybe the same 50 (probably 15) people on this site post AC is about to fail repeatedly or say consensus so many time that after a while it is easy to forget we're a tiny speck of AC sales.... and we're not a true representation of AC fans either..... more a combination of hardcore fans and the odd fanatic...

Plus there are new people coming into AC every year... we forget that when some who are over exposed to AC are tired but think it is the series that is tired. I wonder how many here who are fed up.... defended AC after 2 games when others came to scorn it ?

@Journey93 Thanks it's always a compliment to be called fanboy... glad you hold me in such high esteem :D

and actually I'm not blind... I'm trying to open other peoples eyes... check the saying in my signature... I know nothing is perfect... I know a series will have its ups and downs and I accept that... and I accept that the high points for some people will be the low points for others.... it's just some people cannot accept that... and when it is not a high point for themselves they simply refuse to understand that others are still enjoying it.... they don't see any others from the millions of buyers and say AC is finished..... that is blind.

I don't blame Spirit for the title.... it is just the words that people tend to use here. Also AC3 is the best ;)

RVSage
10-24-2015, 07:52 AM

I do not see a lie. there, was modern day right there. They never said or promised it would be playable. If it is not what you want. Does that mean it is a lie?

king-hailz
10-24-2015, 07:52 AM
No. The story is as bad as Unity's, and only slightly better because of Evie. The game play has improved too slightly. It's the second worse game in the franchise.

king-hailz
10-24-2015, 07:53 AM
I do not see a lie. there, thre was modern day right there. They never said or promised it would be playable. If it is not what you want. Does that mean it is a lie?

They said it was gonna be back and the fans would love it, either they don't know who we are or they were lying.

RVSage
10-24-2015, 07:58 AM
The whole question is actually a bid odd?
I can cetainly say it cannot be saved from ubi bashers. No matter what. Because for a group of people bashing Ubi is always cool regardless of whether a game is good or bad. As Strigoi said , I do not expect perfection in a game, rather if it is fun and worth my time , I would be really happy. Most AC games have given that to me.

If the series is saved financially?
Well that will be decided by the sales. If it sells more than Unity , obviously it is back on track.

ACZanius
10-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Funny i don't remember forums being divided like this years ago, oh and i had many accounts and have been here long time ago, never i remember this, i only remember the threads about lore and how people were amazed, intrigued, blown away, trying to decipher secrets, endings, technical stuff,where next game is going to take place, funny these forums are **** nowadays anyway, especially in last 6 months, all i see is same people posting same ****, you got the ****riders aka delusional fanboys and other type of fans, more realistic critical of franchise, you are not a hater if you criticize AC for valid points, to each their own i guess but in all seriousness, at this point 2015 with Assassin's Creed,no hate but if you cannot visually fathom the fact that you are playing same thing over and over and over and over and over again, exhausted formula, milking the franchise for let's be real it's $$$ nothing more, then i really don't know. Assassin's Creed is not bad or horrible game at all, it's just good, decent now, been there, done that, agree with above we are a tiny bubble here and we don't represent whole AC base that's a fact, you have no idea how many people stopped posting here and how many left, every game copies from it's previous title nothing new but you know deep down only reason why AC is annual, it's the $$$, that's the reality they will keep pumping it every year as long as people buy so pretty much yeah it's never going to end :cool:

strigoi1958
10-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Well you know my thoughts on how the community could be united again by making MD fully interactive, :D

But as much as I can feel for the MD fans... it is hard to feel sympathy and get behind the cause when it is often so negative... it is a constant search for bad points.
To get people on board, it doesn't need "AC will die unless it does this or that..."

It needs more posts about, how multiple eras could be accessed... bringing information back to MD and using it effectively... the opportunities that it would give for multiplayer MD and historical gameplay would bring even more new fans.

being positive, suggesting the advantages and stating the benefits gets people behind the opinions.... being negative and all doom and gloom just gets old quick...

Journey93
10-24-2015, 02:40 PM
That's ok we live in a tiny bubble here.... AC sells millions and maybe the same 50 (probably 15) people on this site post AC is about to fail repeatedly or say consensus so many time that after a while it is easy to forget we're a tiny speck of AC sales.... and we're not a true representation of AC fans either..... more a combination of hardcore fans and the odd fanatic... Plus there are new people coming into AC every year... we forget that when some who are over exposed to AC are tired but think it is the series that is tired. I wonder how many here who are fed up.... defended AC after 2 games when others came to scorn it ? @Journey93 Thanks it's always a compliment to be called fanboy... glad you hold me in such high esteem :D and actually I'm not blind... I'm trying to open other peoples eyes... check the saying in my signature... I know nothing is perfect... I know a series will have its ups and downs and I accept that... and I accept that the high points for some people will be the low points for others.... it's just some people cannot accept that... and when it is not a high point for themselves they simply refuse to understand that others are still enjoying it.... they don't see any others from the millions of buyers and say AC is finished..... that is blind. I don't blame Spirit for the title.... it is just the words that people tend to use here. Also AC3 is the best ;) Well your post made it out to be as if the complainers are just delusional. I don't think anyone here is saying that his opinion is a fact. I think the series is still going downhill but good for others if they are still enjoying it
I do not see a lie. there, was modern day right there. They never said or promised it would be playable. If it is not what you want. Does that mean it is a lie? But why say that it will be back then? Its basically the same crap like Unity Its just classic Ubisoft marketing, promising things that aren't in the game and overhyping things.

Megas_Doux
10-24-2015, 03:54 PM
It´s been a while since the last time I visited this place or checked any info of Syndicate for that matter. The good reviews brought here, not because I necessary believed them, but out of curiosity. See how this game fares.....

dimbismp
10-24-2015, 04:25 PM
The "saving the franchise" thing is a huge debate imo.

After AC3,most people were saying that the franchise was dead and needed to be saved.The excellent Black Flag was released,and most them were shouting "Pirate's Creed","not true AC" etc.In retrospect,AC4 is considered by fans and critics among the 2-3 best ACs of all time.

Then we got ACU.The performance issues sadly overshadowed the game itself,which was by no means perfect,but good.However people wanted to "bring naval back!"etc(as if the franchise would transform into a naval battle simulator).

Up to AC3,the vast majority of fans didn't like MD and Desmond at all.Now they cry about the lack of MD.

What i am trying to say is that the fan base has so diverse opinions,that at this point it is impossible to satisfy everyone.Sure Ubi has made many mistakes at the recent past though.

Another thing i have to adress is the "just the same AC again".What do you expect people?The games have a specific formula,that's not going to change.Even if the mechanics are improved to a decent level,the core gameplay will be the same.

Megas_Doux
10-24-2015, 04:31 PM

After AC3,most people were saying that the franchise was dead and needed to be saved.The excellent Black Flag was released,and most them were shouting "Pirate's Creed","not true AC" etc.In retrospect,AC4 is considered by fans and critics among the 2-3 best ACs of all time.

Then we got ACU.The performance issues sadly overshadowed the game itself,which was by no means perfect,but good.However people wanted to "bring naval back!"etc(as if the franchise would transform into a naval battle simulator).

Up to AC3,the vast majority of fans didn't like MD and Desmond at all.Now they cry about the lack of MD.

What i am trying to say is that the fan base has so diverse opinions,that at this point it is impossible to satisfy everyone.Sure Ubi has made many mistakes at the recent past though.

Another thing i have to adress is the "just the same AC again".What do you expect people?The games have a specific formula,that's not going to change.Even if the mechanics are improved to a decent level,the core gameplay will be the same.

That'is annualization through and through, my friend.....

LoyalACFan
10-24-2015, 05:35 PM
AC3- Ugh this series is running into the ground, it needs to be saved ASAP
AC4- Wait a second this game's actually good, Assassin's Creed is restored
ACU- Ugh this series is running into the ground, it needs to be saved ASAP
ACS- Wait a second this game's actually good, Assassin's Creed is restored

It's like ****ing déjà vu. They release a game, the game is lame, then they note the lameness of the game and release it one year later with nominal improvements. Mark my words, next year Montreal will roll out a sexy brand-new AC game in a new and untapped setting (probably the Far East) that'll blow our minds at E3, then it will come out riddled with bugs and incomplete features. And six months later they'll say "Oh, we've really taken the lessons of Assassin's Creed 9 to heart, now please buy Assassin's Creed 10 this fall."

/rant

Syndicate is decent so far, but I didn't have the immediate positive connection to it that I had with AC4. The characters haven't really jumped out at me (though not from lack of trying) and combat is absolutely abysmal. It's sitting marginally lower on Metacritic than AC4, but not by a wide enough margin to really tell whether or not people are happy enough with Syndicate's "redemption" to stick with the franchise.

HDinHB
10-24-2015, 05:46 PM

I don't know about the "vast majority" part, but people complained about Desmond being boring, people complained there was too much Modern Day, they complained there wasn't enough Modern Day, they complained there was any MD at all. People complained about all those thing and they still do.

ShoryukenMan
10-24-2015, 05:51 PM
The only AC game I really dislike is Unity. So I never thought that the series was in trouble and needed saving. We just needed saving from Unity, which it seems like Syndicate is doing. I'd love to see MD come back in full force again, though.

Journey93
10-24-2015, 07:09 PM

The problem is franchise fatigue not the core gameplay.

Series like GTA and Fallout come after years of hyping and fans looking forward to them. I liked GTA V but it wasn't that much different from the previous and the same counts for Fallout (from what we know)

But unlike Ubisoft, Rockstar and Bethesda like to take their time and not milk their franchises to death. At this point people are getting sick of AC more and more.
Syndicate is definitely not the saver Black Flag was. I'm not seeing Unity-like hate for it but there really wasn't much hype either.
Its like every year the same old AC

KoloheB
10-24-2015, 08:11 PM
Why isn't there an option: "It doesn't need saving... it's great as it is"???

RVSage
10-24-2015, 08:17 PM
But why say that it will be back then? Its basically the same crap like Unity Its just classic Ubisoft marketing, promising things that aren't in the game and overhyping things.

They were true what they said, MD is back with characters you have seen in the past. Even though the story could have progressed more. It was certainly more than Unity. Not the same "crap" as Unity. Again it is never easy to satisfy everyone. To me this is good enough . Remember World war 1 sequence features juno too. There was much more than Unity ever had. The way I see it , "you" are not happy because it was not "playable" to you. Well that is your opinion and it should be respected. But that does not mean Ubisoft lied. They did exactly as they said. It was just "NOT" what you expected

ACZanius
10-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Well you know my thoughts on how the community could be united again by making MD fully interactive, :D

But as much as I can feel for the MD fans... it is hard to feel sympathy and get behind the cause when it is often so negative... it is a constant search for bad points.
To get people on board, it doesn't need "AC will die unless it does this or that..."

It needs more posts about, how multiple eras could be accessed... bringing information back to MD and using it effectively... the opportunities that it would give for multiplayer MD and historical gameplay would bring even more new fans.

being positive, suggesting the advantages and stating the benefits gets people behind the opinions.... being negative and all doom and gloom just gets old quick...

I agree, sometimes i let negativity get better of me because i guess i'm simply kind of worried for the direction of AC but yeah there should be legitimate posts about information, ideas and suggestions how to handle modern day, i would really like to get like some game designers on board and realistically get a honest opinion on how to handle modern day, bring back 3rd person, new protagonist, very engaging race against time story, that has a purpose to GET OUT OF ANIMUS with motivation.( world creation/environment building i mean) Something what we had in AC3, not even tip of the iceberg, highlight of AC3 for me, amazing even tho silly at times, but there we were, finally as Desmond full fledged Assassin. The structure that new modern day could have etc but more evolved and expanded upon.

NeoMorph WTH
10-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Answer.. NO

Seriously glitchy. Free running stalls at the worst possible times, you tell your character to do something and they just freeze in place in the middle of combat, yo tell them to climb on a carriage and they just look at it like it's a UFO...AND THOSE DAMNED GLITCHES.

AC is a series I keep hoping for.... and ultimately get disappointed by. Black Flag is still my favourite.

Great... Another glitch. Hit execute and I jump onto a fence next to the target and get stuck. Then killed by them shooting the idiot not moving.

I keep saying I will never buy another AC game but I still get conned. If the character did what you told them then it would be an awesome game. But these glitches that haven't been fixed for several games now just ruin it.

strigoi1958
10-25-2015, 12:10 AM
I agree, sometimes i let negativity get better of me because i guess i'm simply kind of worried for the direction of AC but yeah there should be legitimate posts about information, ideas and suggestions how to handle modern day, i would really like to get like some game designers on board and realistically get a honest opinion on how to handle modern day, bring back 3rd person, new protagonist, very engaging race against time story, that has a purpose to GET OUT OF ANIMUS with motivation.( world creation/environment building i mean) Something what we had in AC3, not even tip of the iceberg, highlight of AC3 for me, amazing even tho silly at times, but there we were, finally as Desmond full fledged Assassin. The structure that new modern day could have etc but more evolved and expanded upon.

I wish everyone would (if possible) go to a games convention... and say Hi to the Ubi teams... when I met them, it really opened my eyes to how much they really want the games to be the best for everyone... they are really friendly especially if you've been generous with your time here on the forum. The CM's constantly read through all the posts on the forums and trust me good ideas, suggestions and well liked requests do get passed on.... so does constructive criticism. They don't say much but believe me it is all getting noticed... but it's easy to overlook "Ubi is xxxx for not doing this" whereas if it was posted... " I think this idea would add to AC appeal..." gets noticed more and gets more positive replies.

I have said before.... this forum is like a goldmine of ideas, many are great but some posts I've seen are priceless.... amazing ideas that do not substitute any part of AC but adds and compliments AC... I know the Devs are always busy.. and the CM's pass on interesting items but I think a thread that is guaranteed to have our best ideas put forward for a dev to post some replies. They are getting through but a little acknowledgement is nice.

shobhit7777777
10-25-2015, 06:04 AM
Not for me it hasn't.

SeverableMoss8
10-25-2015, 11:45 AM
I have played AC Syndicate for almost one hour and all i have to say is that i am a frustrated fan expecting more from the franchise since the previous AC game was a letdown in terms of technical problems and so on. It seems that in this game UBI has done better work with the framerate but there are other issues such as the downgraded graphics and of caurse the emotionless combat experience.

adventurewomen
10-25-2015, 03:56 PM
This is what I wrote in another thread, but same applies here:

I've just started playing AC:S my first impression is http://static5.cdn.ubi.com/u/ubiforums/20130918.419/images/smilies/frown.png the parkour/free running is really buggy feels like it's got worse and the fighting a step back. My initial experience of this game it feels like another Unity letdown as expected. The only thing at the moment is the graphics are impressive so far. Framerate on Xbox One needs to be improved more, it looks like it's missing frames at times especially during parkour and fighting sequences. So far glitchy as hell.

I am giving this game a chance but it doesn't give me this is great game worthly of the AC title game not as much as previous games, the last AC that did that for me was AC4 to be completely honest.

bonehakker561
10-25-2015, 04:30 PM
It is slightly better then unity but still disappointing story and ac lore wise. MD is still F**ed up and it is no way near ac 2 or brotherhood or black flag. Evie and jacob are not as charming as ezio but are better than arno. Hood system is most worse you only get to wear the hood while crouching which is very bad and it feels like we are lacking most important part of an assassin which is hood. Hope ubisoft fix it . But the biggest problem is the story and MD which are becoming worse and worse with each entry. They should introduce a new MD protagonist so it should make scence. Otherwise there is no point for and MD sequence. They should make MD playable with strong protagonist not through a faceless employe or cgi sequences. But I think the series is slowly building up again to its former glory. London and Paris are good setting but are very dull. They would have been great if it had a charming story like ezios but hope they address all these issues next year. Fingers crossed.

Moultonborough
10-25-2015, 04:31 PM
I think that while Syndicate is a great step forward it is going to take more than one game to change people's minds. If they come out with a game next year that gets the same scores it will be seen in a good light. However, if it becomes a game like Unity people will say the series still needs to do and Syndicate like AC4 is a standalone game.

killerman_2012
10-25-2015, 05:15 PM
No, I see the entire game from Youtube and it continues the "post-Desmond" formula:

No Creed
No Brotherhood
No playable MD
No misteries
No darkness
No Philosophy

It's just a "kill & explore" game for 10 yo kids. Syndicate it's all about jokes and sarcasm... I lost my faith in Ubisoft. This series will never recover its original esence.

Senningiri_GR
10-25-2015, 05:24 PM
No, I see the entire game for Youtube and it continues the "post-Desmond" formula:

No Creed
No Brotherhood
No playable MD
No misteries
No darkness
No Philosophy

It's just a "kill & explore" game for 10 yo kids. Syndicate it's all about jokes and sarcasm... I lost my faith in Ubisoft. This series will never recover its original esence.

It will only if they bring back old formula and this will be more easily done with an good setting before or during 13th century, I think.

whatr_those
10-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Seems like a solid, 7-8/10 game.

Innovative and substantial enough to pull a Black Flag and reinvigorate the franchise? No, not at all. Very blatant asset recycling with this one.

It's really just a finished version of Unity, with better lead characters, a much more interesting story, and polished mechanics. Nothing breathtaking and essentially what I expected it to be.

VestigialLlama4
10-25-2015, 05:40 PM
No, I see the entire game for Youtube and it continues the "post-Desmond" formula:

No Creed
No Brotherhood
No playable MD
No misteries
No darkness
No Philosophy

Black Flag is post-Desmond and it's not true at all for anything you said. It's got the Creed, playable MD (you can move direction buttons and it has puzzles), it has mysteries, it has darkness and it especially has a lot of philosophy.

UNITY and SYNDICATE its really true. You know its actually amazing that "nothing is true, everything is permitted" isn't uttered once in those two games and yet it doesn't get the grief AC3 got for not using it (and in that game it made sense since the Brotherhood was totally wiped out in the past and they had to start from the bottom with all traditions gone).

I actually agree on principle with the post-Desmond formula, of standalone games with no urgent overarching story, so you are, potentially, free to make any kind of new individual game without having to shoehorn the major plot. The problem is that increasingly Ubisoft is neglecting what Darby McDevitt intended to be a "lack of formula" and instead searches for a "new formula", a template for disposable shallow games to do quickly, cheaply and on an assembly line.

saw2097
10-25-2015, 06:07 PM
I don't see how the series needs saving.

Every franchise has its ups and downs, and while I haven't played Assassin's Creed Syndicate yet, there have been nothing but good reviews and I watched the spoilers and liked the story.

The ending definitely continues the MD, it just needs more player interaction and it would be perfect.

Alphacos007
10-25-2015, 09:00 PM
I don't think it saved the series, but I believe it made sure the series didn't fall. If it was another disaster like Unity, then the series would really need a save next year.

ProdiGurl
10-25-2015, 09:21 PM
No, I see the entire game from Youtube and it continues the "post-Desmond" formula:

No Creed
No Brotherhood
No playable MD
No misteries
No darkness
No Philosophy

I'm going to go out on a limb here to say that as I see it, throughout the timeline that AC can span, that not every group of Assassins in every era would have the Assassins in the same array and operating the identical way over so many decades or centuries.... so I would expect a game series not to use the same formula in each new release.
I'm coming to realize that Ezio's [Trilogy] time period was unique and special to his era in that culture at that time.
Since Brotherhood was the first AC game I ever played, I expected every game to be just like that only with revisions.
But even when I was in the forums a few years ago when Revelations came out, fans were complaining & whining about all the new changes/additions (many we asked for)...

As for this game right now, I'M LOVING IT. I have more of a bond and feeling of the old AC with this than any of the previous games post Ezio. I'm only in the 2nd mission w/ Evie, but her character is truly awesome so far. Her character is perfect - not trying too hard, quick moves & she isn't obnoxiously feminist (so far). I'm having so much fun with it, and so far not one glitch or bug. I don't know if AC needs "saving" - different games interest different people.
I don't think a game can recapture that first feeling you got with the first game or 2 you played of that series.... I have a very hard time regaining that feeling I got. I never felt the awe from Halo games past the first one. I'm waiting for Fallout 4, don't know if that spark will return from Fallout 3 memories I have.

Anyways, the one thing I def. would like to see back is if they could somehow weave some dark mystery back into the next game. People love a mystery.
So far I'm extremely happy with ACS & never dreamed I'd like Evie so much (I always prefer playing a male protagonist).
I think I'll always love this series - some are alot more special to me, but I love the concept of it.
**I purposely didn't do this poll because I'm not far enough along in the game to give a fair answer **

crusader_prophet
10-25-2015, 09:59 PM
Black Flag is post-Desmond and it's not true at all for anything you said. It's got the Creed, playable MD (you can move direction buttons and it has puzzles), it has mysteries, it has darkness and it especially has a lot of philosophy.

UNITY and SYNDICATE its really true. You know its actually amazing that "nothing is true, everything is permitted" isn't uttered once in those two games and yet it doesn't get the grief AC3 got for not using it (and in that game it made sense since the Brotherhood was totally wiped out in the past and they had to start from the bottom with all traditions gone).

I actually agree on principle with the post-Desmond formula, of standalone games with no urgent overarching story, so you are, potentially, free to make any kind of new individual game without having to shoehorn the major plot. The problem is that increasingly Ubisoft is neglecting what Darby McDevitt intended to be a "lack of formula" and instead searches for a "new formula", a template for disposable shallow games to do quickly, cheaply and on an assembly line.

Perfectly said.

cawatrooper9
10-26-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm really surprised by how negative people are in this thread. Syndicate has certainly renewed my faith in the series.

Jackdaw951
10-26-2015, 03:40 PM
I don't know about the "vast majority" part, but people complained about Desmond being boring, people complained there was too much Modern Day, they complained there wasn't enough Modern Day, they complained there was any MD at all. People complained about all those thing and they still do.

Thank you for spelling out the term "Modern Day" before abbreviating it later. Maybe it was a brain fart, but I couldn't figure it out for a couple of pages.

While you are right in a sense, those are different groups of people. The players complaining about too much MD are not the players complaining about too little of it. There really is no contradiction here. Different strokes and all that.

The OP clarified what he meant by his thread title, and I'm sad to say his question is right on point. There is much undeserved bashing out there of Ubisoft and the AC franchise. The haters will use any opportunity, like a game selling less than expected, or having some technical issues, to gleefully grind their axes. No, AC Syndicate cannot save the series from these people (or for them). Their mentality craves a negative outcome.

For the rest of us, it's too soon to tell how much of an impact ACS will make on the future of the franchise. So far, the sales are not great. I have yet to get the game, so this is as far as I can comment without baseless speculation. It is definitely in my future, but now I have other things on my plate.

crusader_prophet
10-26-2015, 03:48 PM
This discussion should take place in the thread below since it will be more constructive to agree/disagree on the aspects of the game mentioned in the thread poll:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1293751-What-aspect-of-AC-needs-most-improved?p=11103136&amp%3Bviewfull=1#post11103136